Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Thunderstorms

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

Well whatever was coming failed to materialise. I went out for a drive and while it rained there was little or no thunder. Could see it clearing out into dundalk bay.

The radar is showing a hook type affair going on on the donegal/tyrone border right now. Lots of red.

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭Cornilius

Judgying from the metoffice radar there seems to be a downpour occuring in central parts of the north!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,245 ✭✭✭drdre

Cornilius wrote:
    Judgying from the metoffice radar there seems to be a downpour occuring in central parts of the north!

:( , I hate rain

• Registered Users Posts: 8,720 ✭✭✭Hal1

Looking at the isle of wight radar its showing alot of activity atm mostly northern france and parts of bruxeles. Almost 2,500 strikes per hour. :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,504 ✭✭✭SpitfireIV

We had a good rap of thunder here in Carlow town, followed by a good heavy shower of hail which lasted 7/8mins about 30mins back.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,498 ✭✭✭Mothman

First thunder of year. at 17.35

In fact I saw the flash out corner of my eye. The thunder followed about 6 secs later, so not far away.

Hail as well. Main part of shower to my north.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 437 ✭✭Nordie

Its thundery and pelting down hailstones in Dublin 15 right now:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,033 ✭✭✭Snowbie

Some angry looking clouds around,watching that shower over Blanch area about to hit here or side swipe.No sferics as yet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 437 ✭✭Nordie

Sun is shining now:confused:

Low to moderate CAPE and negative LI forecast for Saturday,however i think this will increase to more moderate(cape) levels by saturday.I dont think widespread TS but will be hefty showers about with the odd isolated weak storm.

If certain conditions on Thursday where ideal for storms with the high temps and humidity,the midlands,south and east would have been blitzed with storms drifting across the country.Ah well one can only dream.

• Advertisement

14z
    Thunder at Belmullet

2 supercells over Spain and a third maturing just to the north of them.
    Madrid be in the clear slot between the three.

The two supercells would be half the size of Ireland.:eek:
    Disturbed over N.Africa too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,246 ✭✭✭rc28

Snowbie wrote:
    2 supercells over Spain and a third maturing just to the north of them.
    Madrid be in the clear slot between the three.

The two supercells would be half the size of Ireland.:eek:
    Disturbed over N.Africa too.

Estofex have a level2 warning out corresponding to those storms. I like the well defined look of the ones over southern France too.
    http://estofex.org/cgi-bin/polygon/showforecast.cgi?text=yes&fcstfile=2007052306_200705220351_2_stormforecast.xml

Yup,tiny in comparison(french) but could be a severe cell in itself.You cant beat the homegrown cells especially when the sky is clear all around the TS,makes for a good sight on the ground from a distance.

A massive MCS(multi cellular storms) over northern France still maturing.
    This is the size of Ireland.:eek: :eek:
    Spain a couple of days ago,now France,there getting closer to us:D :rolleyes: if only.

Wow, that is a stunning looking storm.
    It shows up well on the radar too:
    http://meteox.com/h.aspx?r=&jaar=-3&soort=loop1uur

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

Very impressive, like something you'd expect to see in sat images over Brazil - NOT France! :eek:

There's a news report about the severe multi cell storms over France and Spain over the last few days which has caused floding and crop damage:
    http://euronews.net/index.php?page=info&article=424331&lng=1

Sort of off-topic but there's some stunning radar and sat pics of that "perfect" low over nw france:
    http://saturn.unibe.ch/rsbern/noaa/dw/realtime/current/n1bcurr.jpg

Heard thunder a few minutes ago.
    There's a thunderstorm off the Wicklow coast.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,310 ✭✭✭Trogdor

Was studying in bed completely unaware of the explosive convection just East of here until my dad told me, off the coast it seems to stretch all along the coast and is the some the best convection i've ever seen. I wouldn't be suprised if i started to here thunder pretty soon:D

I'm heading down to the seafront now to get a better look, there's one just south of me that's a real monster. Will report back soon:)

Explosive convection off shore alright and its tryin over land too.

Yeh, i see some towers starting to go up over the mountains now, have some great pics, will upload soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Thunder ahoy! Off to watch these vicious clouds! a few load rumbles:D

Just came throught the city centre in the mother of all downpours and hail storm.Only one crack of thunder to be heard but i was actually on my way home away from the shower.Bone dry here when i got back but at least land convection is happening.Detector is on and will be left on throughtout.
    Lots more to come i hope.

That shower is heading straight for you Trogdor and maybe Mothman.

Snowbie wrote:
    Just came throught the city centre in the mother of all downpours and hail storm.Only one crack of thunder to be heard but i was actually on my way home away from the shower.Bone dry here when i got back but at least land convection is happening.Detector is on and will be left on throughtout.
    Lots more to come i hope.

That shower is heading straight for you Trogdor and maybe Mothman.
    Nothing here at all, skies are actually the leaest that they've been all day, yet the radar shows it right on top of me:p:rolleyes: . Looks like there could be anvil just coming into view to my North-West though, hopefully:D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,296 ✭✭✭arctictree

Just had a heavy shower here - temp dropped to 5.2c

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,632 ✭✭✭darkman2

Big Anvil developing to my Northwest but will probrably miss me. There was a TS at Dublin Airport at 11am this morning. The real convergance zone looks to be County Wicklow.

• Advertisement

Alot of strikes now dead over wexford area and another batch breaking out over N leinster moving sothwards.Land convection is more potent up in N midlands which is good news for Dublin.Anvils everywhere in north direction

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement