Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Thunderstorms

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,310 ✭✭✭Trogdor

Another cell just coming into view now, looks much bigger and possibly thundery although there isn't anything showing up on dectectors. Looks like the southern side of this one may just clip us here.
    Edit:Had a short bout of heavy rain with a bit hail hail mixed in and now the cell seems to have moved away to my south

• Registered Users Posts: 5,033 ✭✭✭Snowbie

trogdor wrote:
    Fairly hefty cb has gone up north of me and has an anvil. Thing looks huge from here and must be producing some heavy rain somwhere in shankill or bit further north. Busy take pics and video atm. Will post in the photography thread soon.
    Edit: for anyone who has NW radar it shows the forming off them very nicely, between 13:10 and 13:15, a line of rain appears streching from Dublin back South-West about 30km
    Under a very heavy shower round that time,belted down for 10 mins.
    Sky very dark and looked thundery.No joy though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,245 ✭✭✭drdre

trogdor wrote:

Where will there be thunderstorms tommorrow, will they be around bray etc

drdre wrote:
    Where will there be thunderstorms tommorrow, will they be around bray etc
    It's always very hit and miss with showers and thunderstorms. The risk will start off in the morning in the south-west spreading across the south coast and midlands throught the later in the morning and early afternoon, with a risk on the east coast in the late afternoon and evening i'd say. Can't say for certain that Bray will get a thundersorm tomorrow no, but certainly if conditions are still favourable tomorrow then i expect that near Bray could see something as anything that forms over the wicklow mountains will get blown North-East towards Bray and South-Dublin area

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,245 ✭✭✭drdre

trogdor wrote:
    It's always very hit and miss with showers and thunderstorms. The risk will start off in the morning in the south-west spreading across the south coast and midlands throught the later in the morning and early afternoon, with a risk on the east coast in the late afternoon and evening i'd say. Can't say for certain that Bray will get a thundersorm tomorrow no, but certainly if conditions are still favourable tomorrow then i expect that near Bray could see something as anything that forms over the wicklow mountains will get blown North-East towards Bray and South-Dublin area

Cape increasing to moderate 300-400 j/kg and LI going negative from mid afternoon onwards for the east of Ireland.Probable TS. 60/40 in favour.Might be embedded though.

No mention of it yet in the Dublin TAF
    TAF EIDW 111000Z 111818 17008KT 9999 -RA SCT015 BKN025
    TEMPO 1807 5000 -RA BKN012
    BECMG 2301 23006KT
    BECMG 0003 VRB03KT
    TEMPO 0718 BKN015=

Embedded storms are a goodish probability in the afternoon alright and even this morning in the sunshine before the cloud fully spilled in,I saw some cb's.
    Light rain here at the moment.

Yep saw the CB's before the clump arrived from the SW.
    Cork and Kerry have some stong echoes over them now,maybe this is the potential.
    Spitting rain outside though nothing heavy atm.

fairly wet here.
    6.4mm so far.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭drive3331

Thunder and lightning around Kilcock at the moment....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,246 ✭✭✭rc28

WOW-Huge clap of thunder right above us here in south east meath. Very dark clouds too and torrential rain is starting.:D

I see this is picking up a few convective systems over southern ireland atm, no lightning yet appearantly though. Although snowbie's dector is picking up a few strikes
    http://www.meteo.fr/special/PI/OPIC_MF/France/index.htm

Some torrential bursts of rain over last 10mins. It seems to be brightening up to the west now and dark sky to the east. The rain was pounding the north facing windows even though the showers are moving in a sw to ne direction. I heard didtant faint rumbles to the south of me (probably in kilcock direction) but only one loud rumble right above us. I hope there's more to come later;) is anyone to the east of the thunder storm (i.e dublin) seeing the cloud tops of it?

By the looks of it, you'd have to be in northern Louth to see the tops of it.

and silence again,nothing more than a thundery shower let alone a storm.Sporadic strikes(uncorelated) throughout the country.Nothing consistent enough to call it a storm anywhere.Heres hopin for more to come.

Snowbie wrote:
    and silence again,nothing more than a thundery shower let alone a storm.Sporadic strikes(uncorelated) throughout the country.Nothing consistent enough to call it a storm anywhere.Heres hopin for more to come.
    I was going to call it a thundery shower but I got chided on a different forum before for using that term instead of t-storm so I never use it anymore. Don't ask me why they didn't like that term:confused: Don't some lightning detectors only pick up cg lightning anyway?

rc28 wrote:
    I was going to call it a thundery shower but I got chided on a different forum before for using that term instead of t-storm so I never use it anymore. Don't ask me why they didn't like that term:confused: Don't some lightning detectors only pick up cg lightning anyway?
    The one i use and the stormtracker pci detects the sigs produced by lightning.
    The pci card can translate it into the cg/ic in both positive and negative.
    The ld-250(mine) can also detect cg/ic but only displays it as cg on screen as its built for chasing storms and not deciphering the class of strokes/strikes.Basically it means direct you on the road to the source of a storm and yours eyes can detect what lightning is what.:)

I live near dunboyne and people who drove through it said it appears to have got some very localised stormy conditions- there are apparently loads of big branches from trees on the ground and there was temporary flooding. What could have caused this?

rc28 wrote:
    I live near dunboyne and people who drove through it said it appears to have got some very localised stormy conditions- there are apparently loads of big branches from trees on the ground and there was temporary flooding. What could have caused this?
    Downdrafts.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,194 ✭✭✭highdef

video of tornado on RTE news just a few minutes ago in the Dunboyne area

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,771 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

yeah confirmation of meath tornado, didnt get it here but we did have some lightning and thunder

http://www.rte.ie/news/2007/0511/tornado.html

:eek: Ye I knew something like this had happened judging by the descriptions the people who drove throught there gave me- they said the trees on the green in dunboyne by the church had branches "ripped from their trunks". They also said there was plenty of lightning so I don't know why that didn't show up on Snowbie's detector.
    I think it would be apt to call it a t-storm now!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,194 ✭✭✭highdef

I could see plenty of lightning flashing away in that direction at around 6pm and I was in Inchicore, just by the canal!

Missed the news, how long does it usually take for it to go up on the site?
    Must have been very close to you then rc28, that'd sicken me, to be that close and still miss it.

This being friday evening the RTÉ web team might be out on the lash so it could be tomorrow :rolleyes:

It's up on RTE now.

http://www.rte.ie/news/9news/

The link is at the bottom of that page.

Another chance tomorrow, hoping for a good storm:D
    http://85.214.49.20/wz/pics/Rtavn2411.png
    Estofex mentions a possibility of a severe storm over ireland tomorrow
    http://estofex.org/cgi-bin/polygon/showforecast.cgi?text=yes&fcstfile=2007051306_200705112148_1_stormforecast.xml
    ... S - UK and Ireland....

South of an east-west aligned frontal structure, models show a pretty humid airmass covering south UK with dewpoints at or above 10°C.
    A weak disturbance will cross the area from the SW and should provide lift for thunderstorm development. Although thermodynamic stratification gets somewhat worse compared to yesterday ( especially between 900 - 700 hPa ) 200-300 J/kg SBCAPE looks reasonable. Enhanced LL /DLS shear and low LCLs indicate the possibility for an isolated tornado report although mostly subsevere hail can be expected, too.

Strong instability release over Ireland and DLS of up to 15m/s could locally support a severe thunderstorm with large hail, but expected coverage would not justify a level-1.
    :D

• Advertisement

trogdor wrote:
    Another chance tomorrow, hoping for a good storm:D
    http://85.214.49.20/wz/pics/Rtavn2411.png
    Estofex mentions a possibility of a severe storm over ireland tomorrow
    http://estofex.org/cgi-bin/polygon/showforecast.cgi?text=yes&fcstfile=2007051306_200705112148_1_stormforecast.xml
    I really hope so trogdor! BTW today was really well forecasted by you yesterday and thanks for letting us know about the storm potential cause i never go near those kind of charts and if you hadn't brought it up yesterday I wouldn't have been on the look out for storms today.

This is off topic but judging by the fact your user name is trogdor I presume you like the homestarrunner site? My favourite episode is "dragon", frickin rocks.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement