Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Thunderstorms

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,632 ✭✭✭darkman2

ATM Im not expecting much. They may just die out. Next radar image will probrably be the story of the night. That storm over Northern France has been going on all day:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,033 ✭✭✭Snowbie

Has dissipated now.All gone quiet everywhere.Looks intense with radar image but is dead now in terms of lightning.

N wales has rain being detected on radar aswell as one lightning strike from it.????

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/weather/uk/radar/index.html

• Registered Users Posts: 2,246 ✭✭✭rc28

There are some intense radar echoes sown in the far south east atm. It is definitely developing too.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,498 ✭✭✭Mothman

Rosslare reporting Thunderstorm at 06z (7am)

yes
    I can hear thunder here but no rain.
    I heard the first bang around 645am.
    The sky is very carved and black in the Gorey direction.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,999 ✭✭✭solas

rc28 wrote:
    There are some intense radar echoes sown in the far south east atm. It is definitely developing too.
    woke up to a rumble 7.40ish, heavy rain too. has just eased off in the last 15. was very loud :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 847 ✭✭✭mickger

solas wrote:
    woke up to a rumble 7.40ish, heavy rain too. has just eased off in the last 15. was very loud :eek:

Im in Waterford and heard that very loud bang too. I thought a bomb went off or something :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,362 ✭✭✭Trotter

I'm in Waterford too. I woke up to a massive unmerciful bang that shook the house! I have NEVER heard thunder like it before. It wasnt really a rumble here, just one loud deep bang.

Surely that was out of the ordinary!?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,999 ✭✭✭solas

well at least your all awake nice n early :)
    It often gets that loud down this way, I don't think its extraordinary but yep was bed shaking stuff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,362 ✭✭✭Trotter

solas wrote:
    I don't think its extraordinary

Jesus I'm here 26 years and I never considered new underpants like I did this morning!! I'd call that extraordinary!! :D

Seems from the Waterford forum that it was centred pretty much over my house so thats maybe why it was as intensely loud around here.

There are some cb's building over the south wicklow mountains at the moment.
    They are isolated but well formed towers.

Tristrame wrote:
    There are some cb's building over the south wicklow mountains at the moment.
    They are isolated but well formed towers.

Have just noticed them myself.

There were 2 towers in the region of Lug. These seem to be combining and may well drop a bit of water. I thunk these are north of what Tristame was looking at as I can see towers in the distant south. There are also further towers north of Lug.

Yes i can see them through the haze at 1300 but now at 1400 they have towered.From here looks like over the centre of wicklow.Cape and LI are forecast low today(unfavourable) so CBs is due to orographic lift so wont be widespread.Say over western wicklow might have a downpour or 2 later,to become electrified depends if convection maintains and in an hour its possible.

Edit:1400 radar has rainfall over west wicklow now.
    http://www.met.ie/latest/rainfall_radar.asp

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

Similar over west Limerick and North Kerry.

@ Tristrame,carlow wexford border has delivered yet again near MT Leinster.
    Always guranteed down there for some home grown.

http://www.wetterzentrale.de/pics/Rsfloc.html

They kept growing and building and looked like they developed something showerwise to the west of me from croghan mountain south over north and west wexford.There were some sharp lines it it and a well formed anvil.

There was some lovely convergence going on!

Tristrame wrote:
    They kept growing and building and looked like they developed something showerwise to the west of me from croghan mountain south over north and west wexford.There were some sharp lines it it and a well formed anvil.

There was some lovely convergence going on!
    I'm in Meath and even I could see some large anvil cloud (and some towering cb's) off to the south east of me in the mid afternoon. These ones seemed to be over west side of wicklow mts or maybe east kildare. The anvil did seem to be dying though

• Advertisement

yup,it built up real quickly and died,you can see it on the met.ie radar animation travelling due south.
    It started in west wicklow somewhere and really fired in SW wicklow as it headed or converged with more stuff bubbling up in the direction of Mt Leinster.

At its peak it looked quite thick and raining over and to the back of croghan Mt which would be SW wicklow on the north wexford border.

I can see some new cb's directly to the south of me probably over Kildare, is anyone else seeing these? They didn't appear to be dying either.
    BTW meteireann have finally mentioned the risk of a t-storm tonight
    http://www.met.ie/

• Registered Users Posts: 8,720 ✭✭✭Hal1

Estofex have some blue patches over wexford and parts of wicklow. The risk of an isolated TS has probably lowered alot by now. It was looking good for a while. It would be interesting to see how things develop over the next 24 hours or so as this cold front moves in from the west and meets the warm air that has been lingering about for the last few days.

Some nice cb's in the north of Wicklow now. The haze has been hiding them. And with the wind generally southerly, there could potential of a storm for the capital

• Registered Users Posts: 2,310 ✭✭✭Trogdor

Mothman wrote:
    Some nice cb's in the north of Wicklow now. The haze has been hiding them. And with the wind generally southerly, there could potential of a storm for the capital
    Can't see anything here and didn't see any yesterday either:( any chance that the haze might burn off.
    Edit: just looked out again and i can just about make out theoutline of some cumulus nothing too big though, i presume they'd be just south of me?

trogdor wrote:
    i presume they'd be just south of me?

I think more directly inland from Bray, perhaps slightly south.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,355 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

I can see cumulus from my front window, doesnt look like its bubbling up at any great rate has to be said.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

Longfield wrote:
    I can see cumulus from my front window, doesnt look like its bubbling up at any great rate has to be said.

Its all but dissipated now, and with the haze, I may have been extrapolating a bit much.

Meteireann and the metoffice(for NI) mention risk of thunder today and on the radar there are some very heavy radar echoes over the northern half of the country.
    http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/weather/uk/radar/index.html

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,310 ✭✭✭Trogdor

Fairly hefty cb has gone up north of me and has an anvil. Thing looks huge from here and must be producing some heavy rain somwhere in shankill or bit further north. Busy take pics and video atm. Will post in the photography thread soon.
    Edit: for anyone who has NW radar it shows the forming off them very nicely, between 13:10 and 13:15, a line of rain appears streching from Dublin back South-West about 30km

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement