Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Thunderstorms

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,033 ✭✭✭Snowbie

Did anyone witness a touchdown or a funnel cloud in Meath?.Looking at the radar,when the tailend of the radar echo looks as if its curling around usually has the most of the turbulent weather in it.This been the second time in a week i have noticed this.One for the future to watch out for.

A bit of mamatus cloud formation was over my head around 6:45 too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,310 ✭✭✭Trogdor

Snowbie wrote:

A bit of mamatus cloud formation was over my head around 6:45 too.
    I thought i saw that to my north aswell.
    A few stoms appearing off the south-west coast now
    http://meteocentre.com/lightning/map_sfuk.php?time=0&lang=en&map=EuropeNW

Moderate cape again today with ngative LI at -2.Late afternoon stuff again me thinks but has already lashed here for a minute or so.Surface temperatures are low enough so we are relying on strong instability and not explosive convection atm.Local heavy downpours can be expected with a rumble or two of thunder.

Some of that low cloud has finally cleared here and it looks like there might be some cb's going up over the mountains

Few strikes over meath/cavan area.Gonzo territory i think.

Edit:Things have really kicked off near the border.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

Torrential downpour in Dundalk the last half hour but no fireworks yet. Cavan/Fermanagh border looks like it's getting a pounding though...

I have been hearing distant rumbling here too.
    The radar looks crazy up north.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,771 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

The showers have all missed me but were very close by all day just to the west and north of me.

Tristrame wrote:
    I have been hearing distant rumbling here too.
    The radar looks crazy up north.
    Looks interesting over the mountains heading up this way.

yup it would seem to have been nw of here.
    Quite a lot of furniture moving by the sounds of it.

silent now though.

• Advertisement

Yep,gone quiet on here too,wouldn you known it has gone quiet,aint it comin closer to me:rolleyes:

Meanwhile a massive CB just passing to my west now with a definite anvil.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,246 ✭✭✭rc28

:D Just had a very heavy downpour and there have been a few really loud claps of thunder. Through the day all the showers were out to the west of me but the thunder from this one is to the south of me and in the dunboyne direction again.

Off topic but does anyone remember on this exact date last year the t-storms that really got going in the afternoon and caused very bad floods in kildare/meath area? I was in town that day but when I got back home I learned that there had been a very bad t-storm over our area and lightning had struck the telephone poles/exchange right outside my house and the electricity pulse destroyed the telephone sockets in my house and it charred the Broadband splitter too- the same in our neighbours house too. Luckily the computer was plugged out! I wasn't a member of boards at the time so I didn't report it and I wouldn't have been able to anyway as our area had no internet for a week as eircom had to replace lots of equipment that had exploded.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,771 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

Finally had a loud bang on thunder and a flash of lightning but its clearing away now

This is showing the lightning near me:
    http://meteocentre.com/lightning/map_sfuk.php?time=0&lang=fr&map=Europe
    Also estofex have indicated a t-storm over n-leinster with a purple blob.

It has stopped raining here but now but really big hail is falling!

Hail lasted about 2 mins but was big. All quiet now for last while but still dark clouds to my east.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,194 ✭✭✭highdef

Just back from walk along the canal beside Drimnagh and could see lots of lightning flashing out towards the airport and heading towards Snowbie and Weathercheck. Looks like Weathercheck is getting hit head on right now. Missed me here in D8 but could see the huge extent of the storm side on. now the storm ids back building within a mile or two of me here in Inchicore

• Registered Users Posts: 6,194 ✭✭✭highdef

Just back from walk along the canal beside Drimnagh and could see lots of lightning flashing out towards the airport and heading towards Snowbie and Weathercheck. Looks like Weathercheck is getting hit head on right now. Missed me here in D8 but could see the huge extent of the storm side on. now the storm is back building within a mile or two of me here in Inchicore.

Sorry, dont know how I got a double post there!!!! Storm appears to be moving out to see, probably around Malahide or maybe Portmarnock

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,632 ✭✭✭darkman2

Thunderstorm here atm. Hail, very heavy rain. 1 strike per 2 minutes.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Thunderstorm, just northeast of here, loud rumbles every 40/50 seconds

No precip though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

Can hear thunder approaching from SW here ATM....sky has gotten very dark, corresponding to two red spots on the metoffice doppler.

BTW does anyone think that RTÉ weather report missed a great opportunity to show us a little radar detail from the wind event in Meath yesterday evening? I was pretty disappointed that they didn't....I mean it would have taken all of 30 seconds. Yeah I know it's a forecast but there's nothing wrong with a bit of retrospective analysis of such an uncommon occurence. Not the first time they've missed opportunities like this either...

• Advertisement

Where are you located wertz?

1 strike within each minute now. Clearing out into the Irish sea.

Nearly all the low cloud has cleared now and there is a trail of cb's from just west of me heading right into Dublin.

Nope not a bloody thing again.Detector showing strikes just off the coast from DM and WC.

Further storms are likely to develope during the evening but I think it will be predominantly the Northern half of the country at risk. Still be interesting to see.

If you look west dm you can see a cb building in a clearing slot.Has shot up in last 10 mins.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,720 ✭✭✭Hal1

Any activity seems to have died down now, at least in the southern half of the country. England seems to be getting a battering now to the east of the country. Could this reach us by nightfall? ;)

Snowbie wrote:
    If you look west dm you can see a cb building in a clearing slot.Has shot up in last 10 mins.

Yeah I see that. There is activity near Galway that may turn thundery on the radar. That could make it later to the East.

Heavy rain here from a shower that apparetnly doesn't exist according to the radar. It looked like some beefy looking clouds were heading in Dunshaughlin direction- anything gonzo?
    EDIT: the sun is shining even though it's still raining.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

I was in Swords for most of the day and we were blessed with wonderful weather. There were a couple of showers but I missed both of them while in the Pavillions.

When I arrived back home at 5.50 pm, I was told that there was frequent very heavy showers for the afternoon and they were astonished when I said that it wasn't raining in Swords.

Right now, there are dark clouds to my south, north and west but it's bright here. That will change soon I'd say.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement