Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Drinking on good Friday

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Pamela111 wrote: »
    Drunkeness is bad for mind, body and soul.
    God says it. :)
    Link to God's post pls?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭carlop

Of all the retarded laws in Ireland, the Good Friday one takes the biscuit.

Just imagine being a tourist visiting Dublin this weekend. You decide to take a few days of over Easter, and you've heard Dublin is as fun a city as any. Only to arrive and be told you can't even have one fcuking pint of Guinness?

I remember explaining this law to some Italian friends and being laughed at, and Italy is hardly the most anti-religious country out there.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Science says it, common sense says it and God says it. :)

Science said being drunk was bad for your soul?

And god ain't ever said s**t on the matter either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,827 ✭✭✭Donny5

Jesus let himself be crucified for hours in torture so that we could live eternally in a concept beyond the human mind. In return all we have to do is to accept this free gift and live life like God wants us to which leads to true inner happiness and peace anyway. :)

I can see why atheists would like pubs to be opened - sure there is nothing else to look forward to and you still have to face Jesus regardless of whether you beleive or not.

Atheism is a very sad way to live worshipping a world that will remain when you are gone. For most people this would entail struggling through life under fianancial pressure and working to survive with nothing else to look forward to.

The meaning of life is God and this brings happiness :). Non beleif in God brings hardship, misery etc in this life and eternal damnation after death which is 100 times worse than anything in this life. Jesus said:

"I came so you can have life and have it to the full". :)

How can one have true peace if you beleive that like dogs, cats, fish etc that when you die you rot and the world continues on for thousands of years? No, everyone knows within themselves that God exists but many refuse to acknowledge this within themselves.

Scripture says that few will find the small road to eternal life but that the gate to Hell is very wide and most, through their free will, will take this road. Yet the mercy of Jesus is so great that He wishes to save all mankind and that is mercy is available to all who ask with a sincere heart and who want to change their life in return for inner peace and happiness - not a temporal happiness that material goods or sexual immorality brings but an everlasting peace on this earth and everlasting happiness beyond the comprehension of the human mind in the world to come which is given the name "Heaven".

I can tell you for sure that Heaven, Hell and Purgatory all exist and that Heaven is possible for everyone on this earth at this moment but that few repent and beleive in God's promise. :)

Our choice:
    1. A wanting for temporal goods and pleasure in this world or
    2. eternal happiness and peace on this earth with a promise of salvation if we are sincere in approaching Jesus to reform our lives. :)

I'm already going to hell, so let me have my temporal pleasure.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,150 ✭✭✭✭Malari

Ah Pamela111 is always good for a laugh. :) She assumes, as an atheist that I have nothing to look forward to, but to paraphrase James Watson, I anticipate a good lunch in about an hour!

I hate the retort that "it's only 2 days a year you have to give up". it's not. I don't drink for about 200 days a year. But I want to chose the days I do for myself.

I don't even mind the pubs, but I love a glass or two of wine with dinner on a Friday night in a restaurant. I'm away this weekend and I won't be able to get a glass and that irritates me. I can't understand why this law is still in place. :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Malari wrote: »
    I can't understand why this law is still in place. :confused:
    Because the politicians who try to abolish it will have to admit to the country that they are in fact, not even remotely as catholic as they've been lying to the population about (and indeed the population has been lying to itself about).

• Registered Users Posts: 4,728 ✭✭✭Naos

Why is wine offered so?

OT: I'd agree with some posters, you have to take the good with the bad, I enjoy my Christmas etc and so don't mind much having the pubs closed for this Friday.

I'm heading to a BBQ this Friday, drink already purchased so I'm happy out ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 687 ✭✭✭Zadkiel

I wouldn't drink on Good Friday.

It is a day to remember the death and ressurrection of our Saviour, Our Lord Jesus Christ which is a proven historical fact as outlined by former atheist Dr. Gary Habarmass here. :)

The only proven historical fact is that there was a man called Jesus who lived and died in the ways described. Its not a historical fact that he is anyones Saviour especially not his own

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

carlop wrote: »
    I remember explaining this law to some Italian friends and being laughed at, and Italy is hardly the most anti-religious country out there.

Really they thought it was funny? I think the fact that a man can be arrested in Italy for wearing a skirt is pretty funny. Its also illegal to build sandcastles on a beach in Eraclea. Thats hilarious.

People in glasshouses... always have to answer the door. (Or something like that)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 246 ✭✭live2thewire

Blush_01 wrote: »
    It's ridiculous. It really highlights the general character of the Irish nation.

i agree and im not an ireland basher in fact i love it but the dependance on drink is depressing

• Advertisement

Day off work > pubs not being open.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,094 ✭✭✭✭javaboy

Jesus let himself be crucified for hours in torture so that we could live eternally in a concept beyond the human mind. In return all we have to do is to accept this free gift and live life like God wants us to which leads to true inner happiness and peace anyway. :)

I can see why atheists would like pubs to be opened - sure there is nothing else to look forward to and you still have to face Jesus regardless of whether you beleive or not.

Atheism is a very sad way to live worshipping a world that will remain when you are gone. For most people this would entail struggling through life under fianancial pressure and working to survive with nothing else to look forward to.

The meaning of life is God and this brings happiness :). Non beleif in God brings hardship, misery etc in this life and eternal damnation after death which is 100 times worse than anything in this life. Jesus said:

How can one have true peace if you beleive that like dogs, cats, fish etc that when you die you rot and the world continues on for thousands of years? No, everyone knows within themselves that God exists but many refuse to acknowledge this within themselves.

Scripture says that few will find the small road to eternal life but that the gate to Hell is very wide and most, through their free will, will take this road. Yet the mercy of Jesus is so great that He wishes to save all mankind and that is mercy is available to all who ask with a sincere heart and who want to change their life in return for inner peace and happiness - not a temporal happiness that material goods or sexual immorality brings but an everlasting peace on this earth and everlasting happiness beyond the comprehension of the human mind in the world to come which is given the name "Heaven".

I can tell you for sure that Heaven, Hell and Purgatory all exist and that Heaven is possible for everyone on this earth at this moment but that few repent and beleive in God's promise. :)

Our choice:
    2. eternal happiness and peace on this earth with a promise of salvation if we are sincere in approaching Jesus to reform our lives. :)

Proselytising is not welcome on this forum. I have warned you before about using After Hours as a soapbox to preach from.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭dlambirl

Is there a thread around xmas about the pubs being closed on xmas day and no shops open able to sell alcohol??

No......cos its the law and you just accept it.

So for this good friday do the same as you would for Christmas - stock up:rolleyes:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,193 ✭✭✭Turd Ferguson

I for one will be getting shitfaced on Friday, just out of general principle. It makes no sense why it is illegal in this day and age. And the point about them being closed on Christmas is just silly. I dont think pubs should be forced to close Xmas day either. If they want to open then why shouldnt they? I would doubt it would change anything if they were allowed...who wants to work on Xmas day?

seamus wrote: »
    Because the politicians who try to abolish it will have to admit to the country that they are in fact, not even remotely as catholic as they've been lying to the population about (and indeed the population has been lying to itself about).

You think that's it? I mean, do they really lie about being catholic or do people assume it? Ok, so a lie of ommission maybe.

I honestly think, apart from a few self-righteous voters, any politician who brought it up would be supported by the general public, restaurateurs, publicans, etc.

It's nothing to do with wanting to get drunk, it's to do with freedom of choice.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭partyatmygaff

I can't see how one day without drink can cause so much hassle, Cant you just call it liver appreciation day or something and stay sober ONE friday every year.....

Or if your a real raging "Im gonna kill someone if i dont get a pint RIGHT now" alco just buy the drink the day before.....(Just dont drink it through the night)

:rolleyes:

I can't see how one day without drink can cause so much hassle, Cant you just call it liver appreciation day or something and stay sober ONE friday every year.....

Or if your a real raging "Im gonna kill someone if i dont get a pint RIGHT now" alco just buy the drink the day before.....(Just dont drink it through the night)

But don't you get that people should be able to choose which "one day without drink" they have? Not everyone is a raging alcoholic who can't live without a pint. Some people just enjoy having a drink....NOT getting drunk!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,072 ✭✭✭SeekUp

carlop wrote: »
    Just imagine being a tourist visiting Dublin this weekend. You decide to take a few days of over Easter, and you've heard Dublin is as fun a city as any. Only to arrive and be told you can't even have one fcuking pint of Guinness?

I don't really have an opinion one way or the other -- but if a tourist visits Dublin for a few days over Easter, they can have a pint o'Guinness the next day. I mean, surely there's plenty more to do, seeing as how Dublin is as fun a city as any . . .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,806 ✭✭✭i71jskz5xu42pb

SeekUp wrote: »
    I don't really have an opinion one way or the other -- but if a tourist visits Dublin for a few days over Easter, they can have a pint o'Guinness the next day. I mean, surely there's plenty more to do, seeing as how Dublin is as fun a city as any . . .

Have you ever seen a stag party wandering around Dublin on Good friday evening. Best best man ever .... :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 578 ✭✭✭Son_of_Belial

Well - this observer will be stocking up on the booze the day before... Six crates of Corona, then I'm fvcking off down to Waterford to visit some mates. Good times.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,487 ✭✭✭kingtut

Our choice:

lol :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,072 ✭✭✭SeekUp

Have you ever seen a stag party wandering around Dublin on Good friday evening. Best best man ever .... :-)

He'll know better next time!!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,889 ✭✭✭evad_lhorg

I voted yes but I read it wrong. Meant to say NO

• Registered Users Posts: 645 ✭✭✭rockmongrel

Our choice:

You have that ready for copy and pasting yeah :pac:

Anyway, my friend is over for Easter and we were hoping to go to Fibbers for Thursday night. Anyone any idea if they'll close at 12? He's only here till Saturday so we need some cheap drinks :P
    I heard something about a venue exemption but I don't really know...

And I voted no to this bollix of course!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,536 ✭✭✭Brimmy

Anyway, my friend is over for Easter and we were hoping to go to Fibbers for Thursday night. Anyone any idea if they'll close at 12?

Good Friday has done you a favour then :pac:

From 2 years ago it stopped serving at 11.30 with everyone needing to be off the premises by 12.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

faceman wrote: »
    Do we see any threads about people wanting to boycott Christmas or refuse to accept gifts at Christmas?

I'm not kidding. I actually go to work every year on Xmas day out of pure spite!

• Registered Users Posts: 912 ✭✭✭chakotha

Non beleif in God brings hardship, misery etc in this life and eternal damnation after death which is 100 times worse than anything in this life.

Whaat? I think you are being serious!

I accept that, like most people, you have developed your own beliefs based on your observances, life experience and intuition. I don't know how you can assert that those who have have not arrived at the same conclusions are eternally damned.

Back on topic, Good Friday is for many a day off work and an opportunity to meet up with friends and family. Alcohol in moderation is well known to be an effective social lubricant and it would be convenient if it was for sale on Good Friday as on other days. It is usually only a minor hindrance as most people who have made plans will have bought it in advance of the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,905 ✭✭✭User45701

should be able to drink and pub/offo's should be open. Thats what i think but when you think about it - Some of the best sessions i have ever had where good friday in my late teens fantastic parties because it was good friday. i mean wait till we see the offo's later it will be madness. Still having drink banned is good for the bar and offo employee's because they go drinking and also its good for taxi drivers - its one of their bussiest nights because of the countless house parties and they have work till 8 or 9 saturday morning.
    Brimmy wrote: »

From 2 years ago it stopped serving at 11.30 with everyone needing to be off the premises by 12.

Fibbers lost its late licence???

I used to drink a fair bit and now i could booze 4 times a week or not booze for 2-3 months its very random. My point is even though i have not heard of any partys tomorrow i will still pick up a rake load of booze and if noone else is having people up ill just txt people and get them up to mine for a session

(Should be fun - new gaf almost right next door to the garda station)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,905 ✭✭✭User45701

Brimmy wrote: »

Fibbers lost its late licence???

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,022 ✭✭✭NOGMaxpower

Its only one day ffs, we must be the only nation to empty the shops of booze for good friday. Most Irish treat it as an all day drinking session. For most it probably stems from years spent nacker drinking in fields on Good Friday :)

Advertisement