Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Drinking on good Friday

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

Mossy Monk wrote:
    There is nothing to explain. A pub is as much a valid business as say a shop. Why aren't the shops forced to close? Can you give me a reason why they should be closed? And don't bother with the staff need a day off bull****. They get the same days off the rest of use get.

Are you having a laugh? The trade a pub trades in differs immensly. Are you trying to comparing a social visit to purchase alchohol which is only permitted to those over the age of 18, to visiting your e.g. local convenience store for groceries?

Its nothing to do with staff needing a day off. If the church was calling the shots, all business would be shut in respect of the sacrifice Christ made for all sinners. However the church isnt calling the shots, the government is. The government comprises of predominantly catholic politicians however.

So do you think that the pubs should stay open from an economical perspective or because you should call the shots as to whether or not you can sit in a pub drinking alcohol?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭mloc

You certainly don't see off licenses complaining, they get all the trade they usually get on a friday on the thursday PLUS most of the trade bars would get. Sweet deal!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

faceman wrote:
    So do you think that the pubs should stay open from an economical perspective or because you should call the shots as to whether or not you can sit in a pub drinking alcohol?

Because I want to call the shots? What are you on about. I said before and will say it again that all publicans should be given the choice of opening or closing. And what does the church have to do with it?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,885 ✭✭✭Stabshauptmann

Why do we have the same thread every year?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,066 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Why do we have the same thread every year?
    Becasue they still force the pubs to close on the first day of the longest weekend of the year, and people will still be annoyed about this next year as well.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,960 ✭✭✭DarkJager

Exactly.... Whatever government we get next, I hope they will kick the church and their ridiculous rituals and days out of the bed. Modern Ireland has no place for meaningless christian holidays...

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

DarkJager wrote:
    Exactly.... Whatever government we get next, I hope they will kick the church and their ridiculous rituals and days out of the bed. Modern Ireland has no place for meaningless christian holidays...
    I guess we'll all be working on the 17th of March, Easter Monday and the 25th & 26th of December so...

More seriously though, the idea of banning certain goods or practices on particular days in accordance with a particular religion is a little horrific. The main problem is that
    a) No politician wants to dip their toes in that water - the Catholic Church will come up with all sorts of, "Please think of the children", and "What about the family?!" FUD. You also have to remember that a large portion of the voting public are still quite Catholic and would be slightly unhappy at the removal of the ban.

b) None of the rest of the electorate care about it *that* much. Except on Good Friday. When they're pissed out of their heads, but can't get their hands on more booze.

Thats why the government needs to get a fvcking backbone and start refusing the church in decision and law making. Not everybody is a religious nut these days and I don't see why a whole nation has to suffer just because of one religion...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,381 ✭✭✭oblivious

MikeHoncho wrote:
    At least we are not a Quaker country:

Bournivile is a Quaker town set up by Mr Cadburys chocys himself and their is no alcohal in the whole town 365 days a year.

I think you missed his point, when was the last time an employer or government cared enough about you and your well being to provide you with a town and a roof over you head out of there own pocket!

Looks like the villagers were very happy with the ban

http://news.sky.com/skynews/article/0,,30000-1257573,00.html?f=rss

Councillor Nigel Dawkins said the decision was a "fantastic" result.

He said: "This shows Tesco that they have to talk to communities and they cannot just walk over them.

"This has put a line in the sand - people like Tesco who think they can come and sell alcohol without consulting the communities cannot."

The legal ruling will be welcomed by the 1,000 villagers who signed a petition asking Tesco to respect their traditions.

"Bournville have always had a no alcohol ruling," said one villager. "It would be a shame to spoil all that."

1st Place award for the most boring, self righteous town in the world...

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

DarkJager wrote:

Like that calvinist town sometime in the 19thC

• Closed Accounts Posts: 63 ✭✭Dr.Bunson

If I were an non-Catholic pub owner, I would challenge the legality of not allowing me to do business, earn money, and provide for my family on Good Friday, given the fact that it is forcing a religion on me that I do not believe in.

There are so many loopholes in the law that it should be thrown out of the constitution....

• Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

Dr.Bunson wrote:
    If I were an non-Catholic pub owner, I would challenge the legality of not allowing me to do business, earn money, and provide for my family on Good Friday, given the fact that it is forcing a religion on me that I do not believe in.

There are so many loopholes in the law that it should be thrown out of the constitution....
    I'd say if you were a pub owner you'd be happy for the day off and spend it with your friends and family like everyone else. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,457 ✭✭✭Cactus Col

Is alcohol allowed to be sold on good friday in any other traditionally Christian / Catholic country? I have a feeling that Ireland is pretty much one of the few, if not the only, country to have such a law. I've always viewed this as less a religious tradition, and more an Irish one (if that makes sense).
    It would be a shame to lose it because people have a problem with "organised religion" these days.

Is alcohol allowed to be sold on good friday in any other traditionally Christian / Catholic country? I have a feeling that Ireland is pretty much one of the few, if not the only, country to have such a law. I've always viewed this as less a religious tradition, and more an Irish one (if that makes sense).
    It would be a shame to lose it because people have a problem with "organised religion" these days.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,268 ✭✭✭mountainyman

The amount people drink in this country is disgraceful. 'They' ought to ban drink EVERY friday.

MM

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,794 ✭✭✭JC 2K3

Fascism ftw.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

The amount people drink in this country is disgraceful. 'They' ought to ban drink EVERY friday.

MM

Yes because it works so well on Good Friday :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 801 ✭✭✭Nature Boy

Cactus Col wrote:
    Is alcohol allowed to be sold on good friday in any other traditionally Christian / Catholic country? I have a feeling that Ireland is pretty much one of the few,

Was in England on Good Friday and the pubs were open! :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,381 ✭✭✭oblivious

DarkJager wrote:

Look at Liz Hurley who is been sued by here father in law for mocking the Hindu religion. On of the reason sited was the consumption of alcohol before the ceremony and by the way India is the largest democracy on the world!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,977 ✭✭✭Soby

Probably been asked like 1 million times and I'm sorry but whats the story with clubs Thursday night?Do they stop serving at 12 and do they close at 12 as well?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 335 ✭✭likely_lass

not sure if im posting in the right forum, dont really care either :o move it if you want

basic Q really - on the thurday right before good friday will the pubs/clubs close at 12? i really wanted a night out that night:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,977 ✭✭✭Soby

Thread here

But +1 i also wanna know about thursday night

• Registered Users Posts: 18,904 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 634 ✭✭✭pierrot

Can yis not do without for one day of the year? ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 335 ✭✭likely_lass

im an atheist so dont see why i should have to and good friday is the last friday im gonna have off work for the next two months so i wanted to have a thursday night so thats my reason for not wanting to do without if you really need to know

• Registered Users Posts: 784 ✭✭✭zootroid

pierrot wrote: »
    Can yis not do without for one day of the year? ;)

I can do without for plenty of days during the year, but they're normally Mondays, Tuesdays, and Wednesdays. I don't see why I should not be allowed buy alcohol due to someone elses religious beliefs

It's probably the worst day of the year. You still have to work, but can't go to the pub after a long week

• Registered Users Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭Sofiztikated

Friday nights are over rated anyway. Anyway, its one night, the calender didn't consire to screw you out of a night out, your boss did.

Don't pull the "Religion/Athiest its not fair" card, its the LAW. Other countries have stricter laws on drinking, be glad your not in Dirkmenistan. You get your liver whipped for having a shandy there!

Oh, and here. Have a big bucket of punctuation. Seriously, its on me. Go nuts.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,861 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

im an atheist so dont see why i should have to and good friday is the last friday im gonna have off work for the next two months so i wanted to have a thursday night so thats my reason for not wanting to do without if you really need to know

Well if it wasn't for Catholicism you wouldn't have the Friday off in the first place.

Advertisement