Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Drinking on good Friday

Options

Comments

Xavi6 wrote: »
    Well if it wasn't for Catholicism you wouldn't have the Friday off in the first place.

erm, good friday isn't a holiday. i've worked every one for as long as i can remember.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,861 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

erm, good friday isn't a holiday. i've worked every one for as long as i can remember.

Is it not? My bad so. It's a public holiday over here so I presumed it was in all Catholic countries.

In that case, hate that! :p

• Registered Users Posts: 634 ✭✭✭pierrot

zootroid wrote: »
    I can do without for plenty of days during the year, but they're normally Mondays, Tuesdays, and Wednesdays. I don't see why I should not be allowed buy alcohol due to someone elses religious beliefs

It's probably the worst day of the year. You still have to work, but can't go to the pub after a long week

I suggest you invest in a better sarcasm detector, yours seems to be malfunctioning. :p
    Luckily i've been asked to a party, so i'll be well stocked up by Thursday evening.
    The law itself isn't enforced to prosecution stage, and if pubs were to stay open, id say nothing would happen. Happened in Galway last year i believe. The judge threw it out, and gave out to the Gore-Dee for wasting her time.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,002 ✭✭✭✭Esel

You can still go crazy on Thursday night, just not on Friday morning.....

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 22,002 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Fuppin' zombie! What was wrong with the new thread?

Not your ornery onager

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,183 ✭✭✭dioltas

One of the clubs in cork is opening at 7 and closing at 11 :o But seriously, just stock up and go drinking at home after the pub. I thought that's what most people would do.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,381 ✭✭✭oblivious

Holly necrophilia batman! :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 673 ✭✭✭merlie

Gosh! Is that all you are worried about?!! It is the same thing every year and always the same thing happens, people give out about it. It is only one night and not days and weeks on end. Chill out, invite friends around for a drink and a movie and a laugh

• Registered Users Posts: 721 ✭✭✭TheTubes

i think it ludicrous that the pubs are closed on good friday, partly because im not a catholic and partly because this is 2007, ...
    Didn't realise it was an old thread till I got to this post.
    Thought he was joking.
    I lol'd.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 127 ✭✭Pamela111

I wouldn't drink on Good Friday.

It is a day to remember the death and ressurrection of our Saviour, Our Lord Jesus Christ which is a proven historical fact as outlined by former atheist Dr. Gary Habarmass here. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,378 ✭✭✭Borneo Fnctn

Pamela111 wrote: »

It is a day to remember the death and ressurrection of our Saviour, Our Lord Jesus Christ which is a proven historical fact as outlined by former atheist Dr. Gary Habarmass here. :)

Your religion means nothing to more than half of the people on this board. Stop being so self righteous.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,048 ✭✭✭✭Snowie

no he didnt the life of brian did :) there was even a film made about it..... that means it was real.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,568 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

Do I agree with drink being forbidden on good Friday?

Well to be honest, I don't see any realistic purpose behind just one day of banning drink.
    (For the record - I'm not religious so it don't effect me anyway in 2 ways - I don't drink either)

• Registered Users Posts: 33,022 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

No, it's a day for YOU to remember the death of our Saviour (the resurrection happened three days later, iirc)

What the rest of us do is our business, not yours, as outlined by Dr. ikky poo2 here.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 Kiera12

Just because the pubs and off licences are closed doesnt mean you cant stock up the day before!

My plan this year is, weather permitting, grab a few beers and sit with some friends, have a barbie and chill for the day! Beauty!

(but yea, I dont see everywhere has to close tho!!)

Your religion means nothing to more than half of the people on this board. Stop being so self righteous.

A lot on here are conforming together to start threads in After Hours having a go at religeon and Jesus Christ. These threads are an insult to Jesus Christ and all who choose to follow Him.

We have plenty of other days in the year to do whatever we want and there is nothing to stop you from drinking yourself stupid and falling about the place in the comfort of your own house, flat etc., if this is what you wish.

:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,378 ✭✭✭Borneo Fnctn

there is nothing to stop you from drinking yourself stupid and falling about the place in the comfort of your own house, flat etc., if this is what you wish.

Believe me I will.

• Registered Users Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

Loads of drink + loads of money + a few mates add a deck of cards = a very good friday

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

A lot on here are conforming together to start threads in After Hours having a go at religeon and Jesus Christ. These threads are an insult to Jesus Christ and all who choose to follow Him.

We have plenty of other days in the year to do whatever we want and there is nothing to stop you from drinking yourself stupid and falling about the place in the comfort of your own house, flat etc., if this is what you wish.

We should have one sunday of the year when charlie churches can't go to mass so.

You mean just like the first few words out of your mouth in your signature?
    (HOW STUPID ARE ATHEISTS?)
    UPDATE: now removed.

Talk about the pot calling the kettle black! Some people call that hypocrisy!
    So genuinely, why are you here crying about it when your doing similar yourself (with every post and your sig' attached!) :mad:
    Are you not clearly instantly insulting a whole community section right away?
    (O' and go PLEASE learn the actual accurate definitions of "Spammers" and "Trolls" so you can tell a difference)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

It's pathetic to close pubs for a religious holiday, but then it's also a little sad to get into a frenzy about not being able to buy drink on one day of the year too.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

Im a Christian and i support the closing of pubs on Good Friday, although it has nought to do with religion. in fact many of the posts in this thread are why I support the pubs being closed.

We're very selective about what we decide we are oppressed with and what not. I used to be very anti pubs closing but in recent years my attitude has changed.

For starters, anyone who spouts the religious argument relating to Good Friday is talking rubbish. You dont see the same people causing a fuss when religious holidays are public holidays. are there any threads saying its ridiculous that we are being asked to recognise Monday coming as a public holiday? I doubt it. Do we see any threads about people wanting to boycott Christmas or refuse to accept gifts at Christmas?

Ultimately the not drinking on Friday, if you chose do not drink, is about sacrifice. You dont have to be religious to understand the significance of it.

Think of the money that will be saved in the health service because A&E wont be full of (as many) drunks or someone admitted with alcohol injury.
    What about the families who may see their father or mother at home sober that day, rather than propped up against a bar like every other day.

But of course, that scenario doesnt impact many people so we like to throw a blind eye to it. A great focus is put on by many that they MUST drink that day as if its some revolt against the system or the church. Its pretty pathetic. Go help an old lady cross the road instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,824 ✭✭✭ShooterSF

And what if I go to the road and there is no old lady. What do I do then? WHAT THE HELL DO I DO THEN??!!! AARRGGHHH.

Where as years ago when we (as a state) were less of a multi-cultural society and more % catholic, there might be a foundation or reason by actally making into a law punishable offence for opening a pub/serving drink on a "Good Friday".
    (Not saying I agree with it!)

...but in todays much more mixed cultural society, why is this law still being forced upon the non-catholics?
    I think its an outdated law and its a state sponsored form of religious discrimination!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,806 ✭✭✭i71jskz5xu42pb

faceman wrote: »
    Think of the money that will be saved in the health service because A&E wont be full of (as many) drunks or someone admitted with alcohol injury.
    What about the families who may see their father or mother at home sober that day, rather than propped up against a bar like every other day.

Because prohibition works! Oh the naivete of it.

People who want to drink will stock up and drink anyway. Those who have a drink problem will drink as much, if not more, on good Friday. At home, in front of the kids. The whole exercise is pointless and, as you seem to agree, actually encourages people to drink as a way to snub their nose at the Church/State.

Drunkeness is bad for mind, body and soul.

Science says it, common sense says it and God says it. :)

Jesus let himself be crucified for hours in torture so that we could live eternally in a concept beyond the human mind. In return all we have to do is to accept this free gift and live life like God wants us to which leads to true inner happiness and peace anyway. :)

I can see why atheists would like pubs to be opened - sure there is nothing else to look forward to and you still have to face Jesus regardless of whether you beleive or not.

Atheism is a very sad way to live worshipping a world that will remain when you are gone. For most people this would entail struggling through life under fianancial pressure and working to survive with nothing else to look forward to.

The meaning of life is God and this brings happiness :). Non beleif in God brings hardship, misery etc in this life and eternal damnation after death which is 100 times worse than anything in this life. Jesus said:

"I came so you can have life and have it to the full". :)

How can one have true peace if you beleive that like dogs, cats, fish etc that when you die you rot and the world continues on for thousands of years? No, everyone knows within themselves that God exists but many refuse to acknowledge this within themselves.

Scripture says that few will find the small road to eternal life but that the gate to Hell is very wide and most, through their free will, will take this road. Yet the mercy of Jesus is so great that He wishes to save all mankind and that is mercy is available to all who ask with a sincere heart and who want to change their life in return for inner peace and happiness - not a temporal happiness that material goods or sexual immorality brings but an everlasting peace on this earth and everlasting happiness beyond the comprehension of the human mind in the world to come which is given the name "Heaven".

I can tell you for sure that Heaven, Hell and Purgatory all exist and that Heaven is possible for everyone on this earth at this moment but that few repent and beleive in God's promise. :)

Our choice:
    1. A wanting for temporal goods and pleasure in this world or
    2. eternal happiness and peace on this earth with a promise of salvation if we are sincere in approaching Jesus to reform our lives. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,909 ✭✭✭greenman09

So r the bars opened at all then. Im not trawling through all the pages

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,943 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

greenman09 wrote: »
    So r the bars opened at all then. Im not trawling through all the pages
    They ain't open and the drunks are reduced to stockpilin'.

Pamela111:

1. Please continue to un-answer your hypocrisy with your signature and leave unanswered the point I posted! (201)

2. Its very nice of you of also to further target and victimise atheists - placing the blame at our door.
    Very clear thinking NOT! How very nice of you and Christian behaviour like!
    More convenient hypocrisy?

Someone will correct me if I am wrong but I think its mostly CATHOLICS whom were/are occupying the Dail (who made/make the law) -
    but you again, conveniently quietly gloss over that fact! :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭Minxie123

Drunkeness is bad for mind, body and soul.

Science says it, common sense says it and God says it. :)

Jesus let himself be crucified for hours in torture so that we could live eternally in a concept beyond the human mind. In return all we have to do is to accept this free gift and live life like God wants us to which leads to true inner happiness and peace anyway. :)

I can see why atheists would like pubs to be opened - sure there is nothing else to look forward to and you still have to face Jesus regardless of whether you beleive or not.

Atheism is a very sad way to live worshipping a world that will remain when you are gone. For most people this would entail struggling through life under fianancial pressure and working to survive with nothing else to look forward to.

The meaning of life is God and this brings happiness :). Non beleif in God brings hardship, misery etc in this life and eternal damnation after death which is 100 times worse than anything in this life. Jesus said:

"I came so you can have life and have it to the full". :)

How can one have true peace if you beleive that like dogs, cats, fish etc that when you die you rot and the world continues on for thousands of years? No, everyone knows within themselves that God exists but many refuse to acknowledge this within themselves.

Scripture says that few will find the small road to eternal life but that the gate to Hell is very wide and most, through their free will, will take this road. Yet the mercy of Jesus is so great that He wishes to save all mankind and that is mercy is available to all who ask with a sincere heart and who want to change their life in return for inner peace and happiness - not a temporal happiness that material goods or sexual immorality brings but an everlasting peace on this earth and everlasting happiness beyond the comprehension of the human mind in the world to come which is given the name "Heaven".

I can tell you for sure that Heaven, Hell and Purgatory all exist and that Heaven is possible for everyone on this earth at this moment but that few repent and beleive in God's promise. :)

Our choice:
    1. A wanting for temporal goods and pleasure in this world or
    2. eternal happiness and peace on this earth with a promise of salvation if we are sincere in approaching Jesus to reform our lives. :)

You're abusing the smiley face emoiticon. Its not big and its not clever so please just stop it!

Advertisement