Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Drinking on good Friday

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 729 ✭✭✭Kazooie

I'm going to marinade some steaks and lamb chops in whiskey tonight and enjoy over copious amounts of Heinekin tomorrow. Only because they say im not supposed to.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 264 ✭✭Plissken1

Um, no....this law was passed by a British government under pressure from a (methodist) evangelical group. Its not Catholic and shouldn't be thought of as such. They may support it but its not Catholic.

So who's going to be taking the train from Cork to Belfast then? You can get served miniatures all day!

But it is thought of as Catholic and always will be, so whats your point here ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,698 ✭✭✭InFront

You know who else is under the authority of the Catholic hierarchy? The British Government. Good Friday is a public (bank) holiday in England. And so is Easter Monday. Those poor, Catholic-oppressed, priest-ridden English. Fight the power.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,066 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

InFront wrote:
    You know who else is under the authority of the Catholic hierarchy? The British Government. Good Friday is a public (bank) holiday in England. And so is Easter Monday. Those poor, Catholic-oppressed, priest-ridden English. Fight the power.
    Except the pubs are open and they get a proper day off for the Friday.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

Plissken1 wrote:
    But it is thought of as Catholic and always will be, so whats your point here ?

That your "thought" is incorrect. And Infront is correct. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,274 ✭✭✭de5p0i1er

Give the publicans there day off they only get two a year, if you want to drink that much go to the off licence on holy Thursday.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,066 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

de5p0i1er wrote:
    Give the publicans there day off they only get two a year, if you want to drink that much go to the off licence on holy Thursday.
    What makes this particular Thursday more holy than the rest of them then?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 178 ✭✭barrett1965

I don't drink and even I think people should be able to buy drink on Good Friday. It's a hangover (pardon the pun) from the church's power in the past.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

Im all for pubs closing on good friday. People stocking up on drink is comical. If it keeps people out of the pub and doing other things then it cant be a bad thing. Its certainly one day of the year where there is less strain on the healthcare system.

The idea behind good friday was that christians would make a sacrifice considering its the day that Christ gave up his life for us sinners. Technically however all businesses should be shut though. The fact that alcohol cannot be purchased is to do with the government and not the church. I think its pathetic if people cant make a sacrifice for one day a year and do something else instead. e.g. spend time with family, visit relations and friends. (Or religous reflection if thats your thing)

The way some people have been moaning about the insignificance of good friday in modern day society is hypocritical. I wonder how many of the hypocrites on this thread dont celebrate christmas mirroring their view on good friday.

Oh and im not that religious (havent been to mass in ages) and i drink. In fact im off to tesco now to stock up for a nuclear winter! ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

faceman wrote:
    I think its pathetic if people cant make a sacrifice for one day a year and do something else instead. e.g. spend time with family, visit relations and friends

GO YOU!!!!!! Who put you in the position of judge and juror?

• Advertisement

I don't know why you're all dragging the church into this... it's not the church who make laws, its the government.

Countries like Spain, Italy , Brazil, Mexico, Poland, etc. are far more or as much "Catholic" than Ireland and you'd have no problem getting a pint in any of them tommorrow.

When you get down to it, its the principal of the thing, isn't it?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_DvSojoFQ_0

• Registered Users Posts: 7,065 ✭✭✭Fighting Irish

sure make a thread about it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,960 ✭✭✭DarkJager

Blah, who cares about ****in "awful" Friday anyway?? I'm all stocked up and off to the local at 12pm for a nice cold pint.... MUWHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH

• Registered Users Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭Rabies

We planned on opening at midnight tonight, Friday nights are usually very busy for us. The manager changed his mind a few days ago :)
    I would like to see pubs have the option to open 24/7 apart from christmas day.

• Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 12,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭cournioni

Whoops, I voted yes by accident. Make that -1 yes, and no +1. I'm crossing the border into Crossmaglen to have a few drinks tonight. It's only right.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,794 ✭✭✭JC 2K3

faceman wrote:
    The way some people have been moaning about the insignificance of good friday in modern day society is hypocritical. I wonder how many of the hypocrites on this thread dont celebrate christmas mirroring their view on good friday.
    No one is forced to celebrate their winter holidays in a certain way and no one should be forced to celebrate their Friday off in a certain way either.

What's hypocritical about this way of thinking?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 603 ✭✭✭BeatNikDub

I shall be drinking and having a bbq with lots of meat!! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39 kenzie

I personally don't mind going without drink one Friday of the year but I don't think it should be impossible for you to buy drink if you want to. I think it's a bit dated when were supposed to be a 'multi-cultural' Ireland now!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,977 ✭✭✭✭Giblet

event wrote:
    ah boo hoo

some people are hilarious, wont have gone out for the past few weeks but as soon as they cant drink on friday, will go mad for drink

people stocking up and buying loads of drink this week?
    for what, do you normally do that on every other friday?

Have you forgotten it's a long weekend?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,382 ✭✭✭petes

I'm heading acoss the border myself for a few.

It was my birthday during the week and I wasn't wee:(

Make up for it over the weekend!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,493 ✭✭✭wayne040576

Giblet wrote:
    Have you forgotten it's a long weekend?

So what?
    I've no liking for the church or it's hold on this country but I think this is a great eye opener into the Irish mentality.
    It really shows how boring Irish people are. Take away their drink for one day and they bitch and moan and stock up and act like it's the end of the world.
    You see people coming out of off licences on the Thursday with trays of booze, bloody hilarious. Are you all that weak that you can't think of something else to do for one day? Have a family get together, go to the cinema, go do some social activity that doesn't envolve getting pissed for once.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,016 ✭✭✭Blush_01

It's ridiculous. It really highlights the general character of the Irish nation.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 4,436 Mod ✭✭✭✭Suaimhneach

A religious hoilday should be a choice for those of that religion, and not forced on everyone else. The state should not support a law of a church.

But, as is the case in Ireland, the church and the state are in bed together, and the church is on top.

And dont give me that "one day of the year" bull****e. There are *many* days of the year where I don't drink... I shouldnt have a law forced upon me against my will because of outdated governments and backwards churches.

Jesjes wrote:
    A religious hoilday should be a choice for those of that religion, and not forced on everyone else. The state should not support a law of a church.

But, as is the case in Ireland, the church and the state are in bed together, and the church is on top.

Its a British licensing law that's been kept over. Same with opening on Sunday or closing time at night. Why do you think our licensing laws are stricter than those on the continent?

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 6,524 Mod ✭✭✭✭dregin

/me drinks a toast to the seperation of church and state....................

• Registered Users Posts: 5,016 ✭✭✭Blush_01

Nice timing, Dregin!

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 4,436 Mod ✭✭✭✭Suaimhneach

Its a British licensing law that's been kept over. Same with opening on Sunday or closing time at night. Why do you think our licensing laws are stricter than those on the continent?
    Because we are suffering the hangover of a government/society that is structured to give to the queen. So many things should have changed that weren't. Many of our laws are out dated and pointless. This one is the just the current farce we're suffering.

Damn the man.

Jesjes wrote:
    Because we are suffering the hangover of a government/society that is structured to give to the queen. So many things should have changed that weren't. Many of our laws are out dated and pointless. This one is the just the current farce we're suffering.

Damn the man.

That's right, fight the powa!! Nothing beats the man at his own game than b!tching on an internet board!¬!!!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

jimi_t wrote:
    Who said anything about getting off work? IT IS NOT A BANK HOLIDAY. Just because some business decide to take the day off, doesn't mean all businesses do.

Actually, IT IS A BANK HOLIDAY. It's not however, a public holiday.

faceman wrote:
    Im all for pubs closing on good friday. People stocking up on drink is comical. If it keeps people out of the pub and doing other things then it cant be a bad thing. .

Actually the only "other things" it makes a lot of people do is drink. It gets a lot of people who otherwise would work and maybe go to the pub for a few drink on a friday night to all of a sudden decide to spend the whoel day and/or night drinking and having parties.

The fact of it is that its the principal of it. I couldnt care less if pubs decided off their own back to close 4 nights a week. I dont however agree with them being told they have to close on a particular day. Most/every other business can choose whether or not to close or stay open on Good Friday/Christmas day. Why should a pub be any different.

A lot of English people use the pub on Chistmas day to have Christmas dinner there, whats wrong with that?

Advertisement