Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x
View Poll Results: Do you agree with drink being forbidden on good Friday?
Yes 69 13.19%
Am not religious but I don't mind giving up drink for 1 day 118 22.56%
No 336 64.24%
Voters: 523. You may not vote on this poll

03-04-2007, 13:53   #1
Nature Boy

Drinking on good Friday

Does anyone else think that it's stupid that we can't drink on good Friday? I mean if people think it's wrong to drink on that day and they'll go to hell if they do then that's fine. But why should everyone else have to give it up too??
I know it's only one day and I could easily not drink for that day, but it's the principle of the matter! Not everyone is a christian!
Also, you're not supposed to eat meat on good Friday, but you can still do it if you want! Whereas it's against the law to serve alcohol, where's the sence in that??

Last edited by Nature Boy; 03-04-2007 at 13:59.
Advertisement
03-04-2007, 13:55   #2
brianthebard

Its not a specifically Catholic law, it goes back to the evangelist movement in England in the 18th and 19th century, where evangelist christians persistantly campaigned for tighter licensing laws, keeping Sunday holy, etc. This is no different. [/history nerd]
03-04-2007, 13:58   #3
Nature Boy

Yeah you're right, I meant to put christian, not catholic
03-04-2007, 13:58   #4
admiralofthefleet
Closed Account

i think it ludicrous that the pubs are closed on good friday, partly because im not a catholic and partly because this is 2007, but its only one day and if there is a country that could do with a day off the pub its us, but then that wont stop drinking, have you ever walked into an off licence on the evening of the thursday before, you would think there was a permanent prohibition coming into effect.
03-04-2007, 13:59   #5
MikeHoncho

i actually think its great. I had one of the best days of they year last good Friday. Stocked up the day before then drove down to Kerry with a group of mates and sat around having a great laugh all day. No pressure to do anything except just enjoy what we were doing. It was brilliant.
Advertisement
03-04-2007, 14:01   #6
Nature Boy

Exactly! People are going to drink anyway! Only religious people are going to give it up. It's the same with xmas day. There's no pubs open but people still stack up beforehand!
03-04-2007, 14:03   #7
xzanti

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeHoncho
i actually think its great. I had one of the best days of they year last good Friday. Stocked up the day before then drove down to Kerry with a group of mates and sat around having a great laugh all day. No pressure to do anything except just enjoy what we were doing. It was brilliant.
Stocked up on alcohol?

Do the clubs open back up at midnight?
03-04-2007, 14:06   #8
latenia
Closed Account

I voted yes, purely because the prohibition has the effect of making it one of the booziest days of the year. (Probably only coming behind St. Patrick's and New Year's.) I've started stocking up already in anticipation.
Thanks from:
03-04-2007, 14:10   #9
humanji

Quote:
Originally Posted by xzanti
Stocked up on alcohol?

Do the clubs open back up at midnight?
It depends on the place. Some do and come don't.

I kind of think that the main reason people drink on Good Friday is because they're told they can't. If they changed the law and said that everyone must drink on Good Friday, you'd probably get everyone not drinking out of spite.
Advertisement
03-04-2007, 14:15   #10
Zebra3

Option 2 is wrong as you don't have to give up drinking for the day just cos the pubs are closed.

Tbh, I'd say the pubowners really hate GF as it encourages people to drink at home and not go to their rip-off, understaffed pubs.
(2) thanks from:
03-04-2007, 14:17   #11
event

ah boo hoo

some people are hilarious, wont have gone out for the past few weeks but as soon as they cant drink on friday, will go mad for drink

people stocking up and buying loads of drink this week?
for what, do you normally do that on every other friday?
03-04-2007, 14:19   #12
LFCFan

Send a message via AIM to LFCFan Send a message via MSN to LFCFan
whatever about Alchohol, I always make sure to have a nice juicy steak on Good Friday
03-04-2007, 14:22   #13
Jigsaw

Up here in Belfast the pubs start serving booze again at 5.00pm, which isn't so bad. I will finish work half day, go home, have a few tins maybe, then head out at 5.00pm. They close again at Midnight though. I too agree, if you are religious then simply don't drink but there is no reason for everyone to have to be inconvenienced. It is not that I am a raging alcoholic, but more out of principle.
03-04-2007, 14:27   #14
Mrs_Doyle

WARNING: The following post displays large quantities of ignorance and stupidity.

Up until last year I had never realised that we weren't supposed to drink on Good Friday.

I knew that pubs, shops and supermarkets couldn't serve alcohol, but never made the connection between that, and the fact that it meant we weren't supposed to consume the product either.

Like the way pubs close on Christmas day, but we all drink anyhow, or the way gambling was banned on a Sunday, but people did it anyway.

I never twigged that it being banned from sale also meant it was banned (by the Church) from consumption.

(P.S I am educated to a degree level, am in my 20's and I operate in the 'real' world on a regular basis!)
03-04-2007, 14:30   #15
LFCFan

Send a message via AIM to LFCFan Send a message via MSN to LFCFan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs_Doyle
it was banned (by the Church) from consumption.
Which for those who are not devout Christians means SFA.

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion