Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Return of the King

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,490 Mod ✭✭✭✭BossArky

xebec wrote: »
    This is the story I want to hear

I was running through one of those zig zag cattle / horse gates and didn't lift my arms high enough. Got a nice little bruise on the inside of my left bicep. Threadmills are much safer than this outdoor stuff :p

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,490 Mod ✭✭✭✭BossArky

Tuesday May 13th:

Run 1.5km (7:18)
    ---
    Bench Press (incline)
    40kg x20
    40kg x16

60kg x8
    60kg x4 ... fellow who was working in with me touched it on the 4th rep

40kg x8
    40kg x8
    ---
    Bent Over Row (oly bar)
    55kg - 5 sets of 10 reps

Lateral Raise
    8kg per arm x8 x7 x6 x6 x6
    ---
    Shrugs
    20kg per arm - 3 sets of 10 reps

Calf Raise
    ---
    EZ Curl
    bar(?? kg) + 20kg - 3 sets of 10 reps

Lunges
    bodyweight - 3 sets of 10 reps
    ---

The run was supposed to be 5km at intervals of 12kmph to 15kmph every 400 metres. Jogging to the gym my legs were leaden and numb to the world so I decided to just run intervals of 11kmph to 14.5kmph every 200m and 300m respectively.

So, after 1.5km I just called it quits as my legs couldn't go on - ankles and feet felt battered. Would rather take an easy session than end up overdoing it and picking up an injury.

Biceps were about to explode after the EZ curl bar. I never used this properly before - just figured out tonight that I'm supposed to use a wide grip, not a narrow one which rips my palms.

Anyway, after the bent over rowing my biceps must have been tired 'cos the 3 x 10 on 20kg almost had me in tears. There will be pain tomorrow.

Tonight was a bit of a random session.

Friday May 16th:

Squat
    20kg x10
    45kg x5
    65kg x5

85kg x3
    95kg x1 ... personal best

75kg x5
    75kg x5
    75kg x5

65kg x5
    65kg x5
    65kg x5
    ---
    Deadlift (stiff leg)
    45kg - 3 sets of 10 reps

Shrugs
    15kg per arm - 6 sets of 10 reps

Bent Over Row (oly bar)
    45kg - 3 sets of 10 reps
    ---
    Pull Ups (close parallel grip)
    bodyweight - 3 sets of 5 reps
    ---

Legendary session. Got 2 ish reps on the 95kg squat but not going to count the second as didn't go to parallel.

I perhaps could have went for 100kg (and met my new years resolution of squatting 100kg this year) but opted to save it for next time as I didn't feel comfy with the people milling around on either side of the bar and behind. I could have topped someone with the oly bar and ruined their curls.

The pull ups at the end were really light - just realised that is probably down to doing weighted ones recently.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,234 ✭✭✭Malteaser!

Nice work on the PB! You deserve it after all the hard work you did on correcting your form over the last little while!! :)

I'm the exact same about not counting it if it didn't go to parallel btw!!

Thanks! I'm rather happy with the ways things are going at the moment.

Get back to your studying & good luck with the exams! :pac:

• Advertisement

Saturday May 17th:

Push Ups
    x10
    x10 ... warming up for bench
    ---
    Bench Press (dumbbell)
    30kg per arm - 4 sets of 5 reps ... flat for sets 1, 2, 3. Slight incline for set 4
    22kg per arm - 4 sets of 5 reps ... gradually increasing from slight to steep incline each set

Bicep Curl (dumbbell)
    15kg per arm - 8 sets of 5 reps
    ---
    Bent Over Row (oly bar)
    50kg - 3 sets of 10 reps ... underhand grip

Calf Raise (on step)
    bodyweight + 20kg, 6 sets of 15 reps ... nice burn after each set
    ---
    Situps
    3 sets of 20 reps

Back Extension
    3 sets of 10 reps
    ---
    Bosu Ball Situps
    3 sets of 10 reps

Foam Roller (pec stretch)
    3 sets
    ---
    Side Plank
    3 sets of ~15 seconds per side
    ---
    Run 1km (4:52, ~85 cals) ... intervals, threadmill (shoot me): 11kmph to 14kmph each 250m
    ---

I'm in serious pain at the moment. Incredible DOMS in both calves and hip flexors following Saturday's trip to the gym where I did calf raises and lots of situps for the first time in ages. My muscles weren't used to this stuff and it showed.

I almost fell over earlier in work when my calves spasmed up. Painful to stand up straight. My calves must really be the weakest part of my body.

Ok, so I definetly have a pulled muscle in my left calf. I think it is the gastrocnemius rather than the soleus, as the pain is alot more severe when straightening my leg.

I cannot stand up straight with both feet flat on the floor. I have to keep my left heel about an inch off the ground and hobble about on tippy toes.

I'm suprised that I didn't feel this go when I was in the gym on Saturday - it just seems to have snapped yesterday when I was walking around in work, just after I was complaining how much DOMS I had.

Good job I have from today until Thursday off work on study leave as I can barely walk. Wondering how long it will take to heal up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,291 ✭✭✭eclectichoney

Be careful with calf injuries Boss! :( Don't rush it, and you might even need some sports massage to get rid of any lumps of scar tissue afterwards. DEfinitely lay off it at least until the pain is completely gones when walking and then maybe get a physio to check it out.

Hope it's feeling better soon dude

• Registered Users Posts: 6,754 ✭✭✭Odysseus

+1 Sorry to hear that mate. It sounds sore, take your time to recover properly, better to a little longer now than an enforced rest/

• Advertisement

Thursday May 22nd:

Bench Press (decline)
    20kg x8
    60kg - 4 sets of 8 reps

Fly (dumbbell, decline)
    10kg per arm - 5 sets of 8 reps
    ---
    Pull Ups (parallel, close grip)
    bodyweight - 5 sets of 8 reps ... probably a pb. Took longer than usual between sets to make sure I got 8 out of each, stopped for about 3 mins and supersetted with bodyweight lunges. Last pull up rep in 5th set was a struggle. Was holding it about 5 seconds in the middle of the rom before getting to the top. Happy with these

Lunges
    bodyweight - 5 sets of 8 reps ... actually 2nd and 4th were 10 reps as I was day dreaming and forgot to stop - was aiming for just 8. The point of doing these was to figure out how my calves would feel under a tiny bit of pressure. They were fine
    ---
    Squat
    20kg x5
    40kg - 4 sets of 5 reps ... again I was just testing out how my calves felt. No problems

Military Press (oly bar)
    20kg x5
    40kg - 4 sets of 5 reps
    ---
    Bent Over Row (oly bar, underhand grip)
    40kg - 3 sets of 12 reps

Bicep Curl (EZ curl bar)
    35kg - 3 sets of 5 reps ... weighed the EZ curl. It is 10kg, so today was bar plus 25kg
    ---
    Military Press (seated, dumbbell)

Lateral Raise
    7kg per arm - 3 sets of 10 reps
    ---
    High Row (seated, machine)
    50kg - 3 sets of 5 reps
    60kg - 3 sets of 5 reps

Leg Extension (machine)
    15kg per leg - 3 sets of 5 reps
    20kg per leg - 3 sets of 5 reps ... actually last set was 6 reps again due to daydreaming / loosing count
    ---
    Bicep Curl (dumbbell)
    15kg per arm - 3 sets of 5 reps ... left arm gave out on last 2 reps of 3rd set and needed some help from right
    ---
    Situps
    3 sets of 12 reps ... less is more today
    ---

Exams finished so celebrated by letting off steam in the gym. Long session of about 1 hr 45 mins. Both calves still feel sore.

I must really have done something to them last Saturday - as DOMS 5 days later dosen't usually happen to me much. Left is sore when going onto tippy toes still, right slightly less. Perhaps I strained ligaments by overstretching with too heavy a weight when doing those calf raises on the step.

Anyway, it wasn't bad enough to stop me doing some light lower bodystuff today to test how they felt. I think walking hobbling about yesterday and today is making them feel a bit better. I basically spent Saturday to Wednesday sitting inside studying so maybe that is why they felt pretty bad and achey - no blood flowing around much, etc.

Hope it's feeling better soon dude
    Odysseus wrote: »
    +1 Sorry to hear that mate.

Thanks both. It seems to be getting better based upon today, so fingers crossed.

Saturday May 24th:

Bench Press (incline)
    20kg x20
    30kg x15
    40kg x10
    50kg x10

60kg x5
    65kg x5
    70kg x5

75kg x3
    80kg x2 ... equals personal best which I got a few months back on the flat bench, and breaks it for reps
    82.5 kg x1 ... personal best, beating previous flat bench

20kg x50
    ---
    Bent Over Row (oly bar)
    45kg - 3 sets of 12 reps
    ---
    Hanging Leg Raises
    3 sets of 10 reps ... feet to hands, last reps of 2nd and 3rd set were a struggle
    ---
    Squat
    20kg x5
    40kg x5
    60kg x5

80kg x3

60kg x5
    60kg x5
    60kg x5
    ---
    Deadlift (stiff leg)
    45kg - 3 sets of 12 reps
    ---
    High Row (machine)
    50kg - 3 sets of 5 reps
    ---

Insane incline benching. Was planning on starting with squats, but rack was in use.

Don't know where the energy came from on the incline bench. That 82.5kg surpasses my previous incline bench pb which I think was 75kg. It also beats my flat bench of 80kg.

I wasn't planning on going heavy at all, just spotting Green Athene with her stuff. As time went by I just keep increasing the weight and it felt fine so I kept going.

Didn't weigh myself this morning, but yesterday I was 74kg. Need to take measurements tomorrow morning for the end of the summer challenge. Today was a nice way to end the 8 weeks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,291 ✭✭✭eclectichoney

BossArky wrote: »
    ---
    Hanging Leg Raises
    3 sets of 10 reps ... feet to hands, last reps of 2nd and 3rd set were a struggle
    ---

I am so far off being able to do that that it's not even funny! :o wtg :)

As an aside I just finished reading "Chi-Running" by Danny Dreyer. The book is about 220 pages. The middle 40 of these relate to running technique, whilst the first and last 90 are pure waffle where he comes across as a puppet of his T'ai Chi master.

He's constantly goes off on a tangent and comes across as a bit of a nut. It reminds me of a line from a Metallica song, Master of Puppets "Obey your Master"! The book is definetly aimed at an older American audience, like 40+.

His advice on diet is a bit off the wall too. i.e. 2.5 meals per day = Breakfast and dinner separated by 12 hours and a "light lunch" in between.

I'm going to try out his tips on "leaning"... don't hold your breath for any radical improvements in my running.

"Total Immersion", a book by Terry Laughlin actually did help my swimming a bit (similar style book to "Chi Running" but refreshingly without the failed attempts at philioshopical brain washing).

Below is my personal summary following completition of the Boards Beach Summer Challenge. Not too bad seeing as I didn't have access to a gym for the first half of it.

All measurements in cm and taken when muscle was relaxed. First set taken on March 27th, second set April 29th and final set on May 25th.

Some good progress overall in quads and chest.

|week 1 |week 4 |Changes(week 1-4) |week 8 |Changes(week 4-8) |Overall Changes(week 1-8)
    chest cm|92.5|93.5|+1|97.5|+4|+5
    bicep (right) cm|34.5|35|+0.5|35.5|+0.5|+1
    bicep (left) cm|34|35|+1|35|0|+1
    wrist (right) cm|18.25|18.5|+0.25|18.5|0|+0.25
    wrist (left) cm|18|18|0|18|0|0
    waist cm|82|82|0|82|0|0
    hips cm|88|84|-4|85|+1|-3
    top of legs cm|94|93|-1|93|0|-1
    knee (right) cm|42|43.5|+1.5|45.5|+2|+3.5
    knee (left) cm|42|43.5|+1.5|45.25|+1.75|+3.25
    calf (right) cm|40|40|0|40.5|+0.5|+0.5
    calf (left) cm|39.75|39.75|0|40|+0.25|+0.25
    bodyweight kg|73|73.5|+0.5|74|+0.5|+1
    bodyfat %|10%|9%|-1%|9%?|0?|-1%?

I don't trust the above measurements too much due to human error with the measuring tape. I therefore include a summary of my various lifts and times. These are more important than the measurements. It also helps me zone in on where I need to improve i.e. outdoor running.

|Before 8 week Challenge |After 8 week Challenge |Change
    Bodyweight kg|73|74|+1|

Squat kg|80|95|+15|

Deadlift kg|120|120|0|

Bench Press kg|80|82.5|+2.5|

Run 5km (threadmill)|22 mins 08 secs|21 mins 48 secs|- 20 secs|
    Run 5km (outdoors)|~24 mins|~24 mins|0|

Run 10km (threadmill)|~50 mins|46 mins 54 secs|- ~3 mins 6 secs|
    Run 10km (outdoors)|58 mins|52 mins 02 secs|- 5 mins 58 secs|

Swim 750m|~19 mins|~19 mins|0|

• Registered Users Posts: 3,311 ✭✭✭xebec

As an aside I just finished reading "Chi-Running" by Danny Dreyer.

He's constantly goes off on a tangent and comes across as a bit of a nut.

I read it recently too, and totally agree that he comes across as a bit off-the-wall. The only real substance bit is the technique chapter, but I do like his ideas around practicing technique for short periods and using an alarm on watch to bring yourself back to the technique. Did a course on mindfulness last year and much of his stuff is similar to that - whole idea of being the here and now and not off wandering on tangents in your mind...
    I'm going to try out his tips on "leaning"... don't hold your breath for any radical improvements in my running.

I've tried some of his leaning stuff and it seems to make intuitive sense, even if it really feels like you're going to fall over. With other things going on I haven't had a chance to really get into it, but even being aware of it has improved my running technique a bit (I think).

Monday May 26th:

One Arm Row
    30kg per arm - 3 sets of 8 reps

Lunges
    16kg per arm - 3 sets of 8 reps
    ---
    Chest Supported Row (dumbbell)
    28kg per arm - 3 sets of 8 reps ... a bit too heavy and not full rom

Calf Raise ... from flat to tippy toes. Not going below horizontal yet as calves still a bit tight and sore when below horizontal
    bodyweight on both legs - 3 sets of 10 reps
    bodyweight on left leg - 3 sets of 10 reps
    bodyweight on right leg - 3 sets of 10 reps

bodyweight + 10kg on both legs - 3 sets of 10 reps
    bodyweight + 10kg on left leg - 3 sets of 10 reps
    bodyweight + 10kg on right leg - 3 sets of 10 reps
    ---
    Halbert Raises (dumbbell)
    5kg per arm - 4 sets of 8 reps ... feels good. Interesting new exercise

Fly (incline, dumbbell)
    8kg per arm - 4 sets of 15 reps
    ---
    Face Pulls (with scap retraction)
    10kg - 3 sets of 10 reps ... feels good & a lot tougher than standard facepulls
    7.5kg - 2 sets of 10 reps
    ---
    Crunches (swinging a medicine ball right to left)
    3 sets of 30 reps
    ---

Gym was packed. No free oly bar for deadlifting. Probably a good thing as I was a bit tired anyway.

I tried out some new things: facepulls with retraction, halbert raises, chest supported rows - all felt good.

Tuesday May 27th:

Run 1.6km i.e. a mile (6:47) ... bit of a struggle. Double checking that I can still do it in under 7 mins
    ---
    Deadlift
    70kg x5
    100kg x3
    120kg x1

125kg x1 ... personal best

100kg x3
    100kg x3
    100kg x3

70kg x8
    70kg x8
    70kg x8
    ---
    Bicep Curl (EZ bar)
    35kg - 3 sets of 5 reps
    ---
    Calf Raise (on step)
    bodyweight - 3 sets of 12 reps ... calves are feeling ok now. Soreness gone. Took it easy to check
    ---

I should have went for the 125kg deadlift last week, cos then I would have had a 5km (treadmill), 10km (treadmill & outdoors), squat, bench and deadlift pb all within the boards challenge 8 weeks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,021 ✭✭✭Al_Fernz

Tuesday May 27th:

---
    Deadlift

125kg x1 ... personal best

:cool:

Still waiting for the 100kg squat tho!

• Advertisement

Its coming, its coming! :pac: Gimme a week.

Note to self - just remembered that deadlift the other night was done with double overhand grip. Must throw in mixed grip next time too. Hopefully this means there are a few extra kg in the bag.

Saturday May 31st:

Swim 1km as follows....
    • 4 x 250m fc in about 30 mins with a minute or two between each set.

Blenheim triathlon next weekend.

Saturday May 31st (workout 2):

Run 1km (5:27) ... warm up for squat pb attempt
    ---
    Squat
    20kg x5
    40kg x5
    60kg x5
    80kg x3 ... video to follow

100kg x1 ... personal best & fulfilled one of my new years resolutions. Video to follow
    100kg x1 ... instead of going for 102.5kg or 105kg I thought 100kg again would be safer. Save the others for some time in the future. Almost lost this one. Video to follow

80kg x5
    60kg x5
    60kg x5
    60kg x5

Deadlift (stiff leg)
    40kg - 3 sets of 12 reps ... these were supersetted in with the last 3 sets of 60kg squats as I was running out of time. Pumping sweat after this
    ---

Very pleased to get the 100kg squat. I think that is as high as I will go for the next while because I don't have a spotter and wouldn't trust anyone in the gym to spot me anyway. I will probably work on increasing the reps in the 80-100kg range now... like perhaps getting up to 80kg x10, 90kg x10 and 100kg x5 or something like that. If anyone has any good ideas let me know.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,234 ✭✭✭Malteaser!

Awesome work BossArky!! That's some really impressive squatting!!

Tonight's squats:
    • 80kg x3
    • 100kg x1
    • 100kg x1

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,981 ✭✭✭✭Hanley

Fcuking hell mate... you've been making some awesome progress recently. All of that hard work looks like it's really paying off.

That first 100kg squat looked like there was alot left in the tank. I honestly think with someone behind you you coulda done 3 with it. Oh and make sure you keep pushing those elbows forward, trying to get them under the bar. It'll stop you falling forward.

And on the incline bench... if you can do two reps with 80kg, you shuld be able to blast out 5-10kg more for a single definately. What's your flat bench like these days? It must be up over 100kg?

Sunday June 1st:

Pull Ups (close grip, parallel) ... 50 reps in total
    bodyweight +7kg dumbbell - 6 sets of 6 reps
    bodyweight x6
    bodyweight x4
    bodyweight x4

Tricep Extension (dumbbell)
    7kg per arm - 9 sets of 6 reps ... between each set of pull ups
    ---
    Shoulder Press (seated, dumbbell)
    22kg per arm - 3 sets of 8 reps

Fly (dumbbell)
    12.5kg per arm - 3 sets of 8 reps
    ---
    Face Pulls
    8.75kg - 5 sets of 10 reps

Calf Raise (on step)
    bodyweight, both legs together - 5 sets of 12 reps
    bodyweight, on right leg - 5 sets of 12 reps
    bodyweight, on left leg- 5 sets of 12 reps ... left definetly weaker. Struggled to get 12 full rom reps in each set
    ---
    High Row (machine)
    50kg - 3 sets of 10 reps

Press Ups
    3 sets of 10 reps
    ---

I was in bits after the 50 pull ups. Probably couldn't have managed one more. The plan was to do the bodyweight ones in two sets of 7 reps at the end, however I had to break it up into 3 sets of 6, 4 and 4 again. Right arm was definetly taking more of the weight in the last two sets. I think the left was just about to give up.

Thanks Hanley. I'll probably have a re-read of the squat grip section of starting strength over the next week and note the elbow position next time.

Funny thing is that my incline bench is currently higher than my flat bench. 82.5kg on the incline was no probs recently, but I remember failing on the flat at an attempt on 85kg a few weeks ago. Max flat is 80kg currently.

I don't flat bench too much and have been concentrating on the squat/deads/pullups. One factor in my lack of flat benching is lack of spotter.

I probably will give the flat bench another bash sometime this week as I need to rest my lower body for the tri on Saturday.

• Advertisement

Some nice DOMS in calfs and abs today, two days on from Sunday's workout.

Weighted pull ups are class for abs DOMS. I suppose it is 'cos I usually keep my legs straight but flex upwards at the hips when pulling up. Doing this with a dumbbell between the ankles makes a nice little mini crunch.

My lats feel like someone has taken a screwdriver to them.

Also, some mild DOMS in my head from curling 5 pints of Guinness last night :o :pac:

Advertisement