Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Return of the King

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,490 Mod ✭✭✭✭BossArky

For the record here are my current measurements. They were taken at 6:30am this morning so accuracy may be a bit off. Wasn't sure if I should be pulling the measuring tape tight to the skin or leaving it a bit looser. That would have made a cm or so difference on all of the below which were taken pretty loose.

All measurements in cm.

chest: (nl) 92.5
    bicep: right 34.5 left 34
    wrist: right 18.25 left 18
    waist: (bb) 82
    hips: 88
    top of legs (ubc): 94
    knee: (iakc) right 42 left 42
    calf: right40 left 39.75
    bodyweight: 73 kg ish ???
    bodyfat: 10% ish ???

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,490 Mod ✭✭✭✭BossArky

Thursday March 27th (session 2)

Bench Press
    135 lbs - 5 sets of 5 reps ... these were supersetted with squats below
    155 lbs - 5 sets of 3 reps ... these were supersetted with deadlifts below

Squat
    45 lbs - 1 set of 5 reps
    95 lbs - 2 sets of 5 reps
    135 lbs - 2 sets of 5 reps

Deadlift
    135 lbs - 2 sets of 8 reps
    135 lbs - 1 sets of 10 reps
    ---
    Pull Ups
    bodyweight - 3 sets of 5 reps

Hanging Leg Raises (ankles to bar, knees bent)
    3 sets of 5 reps

Single Leg Split Squat
    bodyweight per leg plus 10 lbs per arm - 3 sets of 5 reps
    ---
    Incline Dumbbell Bench
    40 lbs per arm x12, x8, x4

One Arm Dumbbell Row (incline)
    40 lbs per arm x12, x8, x4
    ---
    EZ Barbell Curl
    70 lbs - 3 sets of 5 reps

External Rotation (standing, dumbbell)
    10 lbs per arm - 3 sets of 10 reps
    ---
    Dumbbell Curl
    20 lbs per arm - 1 set of 5 reps

Tricep Extension
    20 lbs supported by both arms - 1 set of 10 reps
    ---
    Leg Press
    135 lbs - 3 sets of 10 reps

Reverse Fly (dumbbell)
    10 lbs I think per arm - 3 sets of 5 reps
    ---
    Seated Cable Row
    50kg - 3 sets of 10 reps ... yeah this one was in kg and lbs. I don't have time to translate all the others into kg. lbs are rounder numbers for the moment

Donkey Calf Raise (machine)
    40 lbs I think - 1 set of 10 reps (both feet at same time)
    40 lbs I think - 1 set of 5 reps (alternating legs... heavy)
    40 lbs I think - 1 set of 10 reps (both feet at same time)
    ---

I was looking out the window at work and noticed an LA fitness 16 floors below. Headed over after work. It is the most incredible gym I have ever seen. 4 floors: standard weight machines, spin studio, 25 m pool, basket ball / volley ball court, massive free weights room.

I was sold and signed up on the spot. $65 for two months, even though I'll probably only be in the US for another month. A junkie has got to get their fix.

By the way, as of the moment I set foot in that gym the boards super body duper challenge was over. Cut your looses folks, get back on the booze and hatch the Easter Eggs. I'm back in a proper gym with access to a pool. I'm going to win.

:pac: (love that smiley)

:pac: :pac:

Chest DOMS dominates today, followed closely by hamstrings and lower back.

Saturday March 29th:

Some bits and pieces at home...

Press Ups
    x25

Sit Ups
    x25

Squats
    x25
    ---

In the war against DOMS I decided that attack is the best form of defence, so I headed for an evening gym session. Apparently it is open until 10pm, however was closed when I arrived at 8:30pm :mad:

The run there and back was perhaps 1 to 1.5km.

Sunday March 30th:

Squat
    95 lbs - 3 sets of 8 reps ... managed to hurt left arm somehow here

Military Press (standing, barbell)
    95 lbs - 3 sets of 8 reps ... left arm getting pretty sore
    ---
    Deadlift
    185 lbs - 3 sets of 5 reps

Bicep Curl
    30 lbs per arm - 3 sets of 5 reps
    ---
    Reverse Fly (machine)
    55 lbs x10
    85 lbs x10
    100 lbs x10 ... these first three sets were super'd with the standard fly below
    70 lbs x10
    55 lbs x10
    55 lbs x10 ... the last three sets were super'd with the other 3 random bits below, as my left arm was too sore to continue with a second and third set of pull ups

Fly (machine)
    55 lbs x10
    85 lbs x10
    100 lbs x10
    ---
    Pull Ups
    x5

Leg Raises
    x10

Seated Cable Row
    100 lbs x10
    ---
    Face Pulls
    20 lbs x20 x20 x10

Lateral Raise
    10 lbs per arm x10 x10 x5
    ---

Glad this gym has a reverse fly machine. Usually I do reverse fly with dumbbells, however I find that limits the amount of stress I can put on the muscles. The reverse fly machine seems to allow greater isolation and more pain where I want it.

Today this log is 1 year old. I've seen great changes since beginning to monitor my work-outs. I remember my workout sessions where all over the place before (and in the initial weeks/months of) this log. Now I usually plan a bit more and it has speeded my progress.

So, happy birthday log! Unfortunately there is no cake because ....ermm, well... you're a fitness log.

• Advertisement

Just got an email from a guy at work asking me about the London Triathlon which I'm doing in August. He mentioned that he is doing La Marmotte. I just remembered I signed up for that too :rolleyes:

Apparently there are 12 weeks to go. It is basically a 175 km ish ride through the Alps along one of the Tour de France stages either just before or just after the event itself. I'd better get onto the bike a bit. Totally forgot about this. Must do some background research too to find out exactly what to expect.

Monday March 31st:

Run 5km (22:00, 470 ish cals) ... personal best
    ---
    Deadlift
    185 lbs x5
    205 lbs x5
    225 lbs x3 ... good to do some heavy-ish stuff again
    205 lbs x5
    185 lbs x5

Lateral Raise
    10 lbs per arm - 5 sets of 10 reps
    ---
    Bench Press (dumbbell, incline)
    35 lbs per arm - 3 sets of 10 reps

One Arm Row (dumbbell, incline)
    35 lbs per arm - 3 sets of 10 reps
    ---
    Squat
    45 lbs x10
    95 lbs x10
    105 lbs x10 ... still kinda light with the squats. Don't want to bust into them just yet in case I bust myself in the process

Bicep Curl (oly barbell)
    45 lbs - 3 sets of 10 reps
    ---
    Leg Raise (kings chair)
    3 sets of 10 reps

Dips
    bodyweight - 3 sets of 6 reps
    ---
    Leg Raise (on bench)
    3 sets of 8 reps

Single Leg Split Squat
    bodyweight - 3 sets of 8 reps
    ---
    Leg Press
    140 lbs - 3 sets of 10 reps

External Rotation (standing, plates)
    ---
    Reverse Fly (machine)
    70 lbs - 3 sets of 10 reps

Fly (machine)
    ---
    Machine Press (incline)
    cannot remember weight - 3 sets of 5 reps

Machine Pull Down
    ---
    Machine Row

Machine Pull Down
    ---
    Side Bends
    25 lbs per arm, alternating - 3 sets of 10 reps
    ---
    Bicep Curl (machine)
    20 lbs - 1 set of 10 reps
    30 lbs - 1 set of 10 reps
    40 lbs - 1 set of 10 reps

Tricep Extension (machine)
    40 lbs - 1 set of 10 reps
    50 lbs - 1 set of 10 reps
    60 lbs - 1 set of 10 reps
    ---
    Upright Row (oly barbell)
    95 lbs - 3 sets of 10 reps

Calf Raise (oly barbell)
    ---
    Calf Raise (machine)
    120 lbs x10
    90 lbs x10
    60 lbs x10
    ---
    Crunch Machine
    50 lbs x10
    40 lbs x10
    30 lbs x10
    ---
    Face Pulls
    20 lbs - 2 sets of 10 reps
    35 lbs - 1 set of 10 reps

Tricep Pull Downs
    20 lbs - 1 sets of 10 reps
    35 lbs - 1 set of 10 reps
    50 lbs - 1 set of 10 reps
    ---
    Foam Roller stretching

Back Stretching
    ---

Way too long in the gym tonight: about 2 hrs 20 mins. Did some big stuff and then messed about exploring new equipment which I have never seen before. I'm thinking I may use these machines to focus on my weak parts: biceps and calfs. I never really train those in isolation.

Just realised that today is actually the 1 year bday of this log, not yesterday. Anyway I celebrated in style by thumping my pervious 5km personal best and meeting one of the new year goals that I had set out for myself back in Jan i.e. a 5km in 22 mins.

Just checked my records. Tonights 5km cuts 8 seconds off my personal best which I previously set mid Feb.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,406 ✭✭✭ike

Happy Log birthday BossArky, been reading some of your log and some serious training going on there! When is your next event planned for?

ike wrote: »
    Happy Log birthday BossArky, been reading some of your log and some serious training going on there! When is your next event planned for?

Thanks ike :pac:

Next events look something like:
    • Blenheim Triathlon (sprint distance is the only option) @ end of May/early June
    • La Marmotte Alps cycle @ early July
    • London Triathlon (olympic distance) @ early Aug

May do some other stuff amongst those or after them.

• Advertisement

Thursday April 3rd:

Squat
    45 lbs x10
    95 lbs x8
    145 lbs x5 x5
    95 lbs x10

Military Press
    95 lbs - 5 sets of 5 reps
    ---
    Reverse Fly (machine)

Pull Ups (& knees to wrist-ish)
    3 sets of 5 reps
    ---
    Bicep Curl (machine)
    50 lbs per arm x5
    40 lbs per arm x10
    30 lbs per arm x10
    20 lbs per arm x10 x10

Tricep Extension (machine)
    50 lbs per arm, 5 sets of 10 reps
    ---
    Hanging Leg Raise (kings chair)
    3 sets of 10 reps

Donkey Calf Raise (machine)
    100 lbs x10 ... toes straight forward
    120 lbs x10 ... toes out
    140 lbs x10 ... toes in
    ---

Early morning workout. Not a morning person but it went well.

Still trying to wake up my legs with squats, having not done much for the past month.

Just getting over serious DOMS since Monday. Was kinda getting ill I think cos my immune system was shell shocked. Hopefully not going down with something like a cold.

Thursday April 3rd (session 2):

Pull Ups x10 x7 x4 ... actually the 2nd set were chins but easier to write it this way

Bicep Curl (machine)
    50 lbs, x10 x7 x4

Face Pulls
    50 lbs, x10 x10 x10
    ---
    Bench Press
    45 lbs x10
    135 lbs x5
    185 lbs x0 ... this was an attempt at a new pb of 84kg ish, up 4kg on current pb. Got it half way up before spotter took it.
    155 lbs x3
    165 lbs x1
    155 lbs x3
    135 lbs x5
    135 lbs x5
    45 lbs x10 ... very slow

Single Leg Split Squats
    5 or 6 sets of 10 reps
    ---
    Swim 400 metres as follows...
    • 100m fc
    • 100m bs
    • 100m fc
    • 100m bs

First time swimming after weights in a long time. Forgot to wear goggles. 400m is fine for today, just wanted to get a swim in. Next time I'll probably do a proper distance like 750m to 1km and leave the weights to their own separate session.

Missed the pb attempt on the bench. No big deal seeing as I'd already done alot of military pressing in the morning. This evening gym session was just something to pass the time whilst I waited for the aqua gym class in the pool to clear out.

edit - forgot to mention the most important bit. I found a weighing scales in the gym and stripped down to just my shorts and t-shirt. I am now 163.5 lbs which is about 74.5 kg. Hmmm, that means I've gained at least 1 kg in the past month or so. Also the reading should probably be higher as I was slightly dehydrated after the gym and swim session. I've been drinking alot of milk the past week ( 3 or 4 pints a day). Going to watch if this reading goes up or down and adjust accordingly. Haven't been eating too well the past while.

Monday April 7th:

Squat
    45 lbs x10
    95 lbs x10
    145 lbs x10
    165 lbs x5
    185 lbs x2 ... this may have been a new pb (equals about 84kg) and I managed it twice. Will check in the morning. I think my previous pb was 80kg for 1 rep
    145 lbs x5

Lateral Raise
    10 lbs per arm - 5 sets of 10 reps
    ---
    Deadlift (stiff leg)
    95 lbs x10
    145 lbs x10
    165 lbs x5
    145 lbs x5
    95 lbs x5

Bicep Curl
    35 lbs per arm - 5 sets of 5 reps
    ---
    Bent Over Row ... well more of an upright row really

Military Press
    95 lbs - 3 sets of 5 reps ... checking here to see if my neck gets sore like the last time. It didn't thankfully. Maybe it was something else that caused that before
    ---
    Reverse Fly

Pull Down (machine)
    200 lbs - 3 sets of 5 reps ... I think this is going to boost my pull ups if I keep at it for a few weeks. Ripped by arms and back to bits in a good way. Wedged legs under holders and went for it.
    ---
    Pull Ups (wide grip)
    x5 ... these barely count as reps as I was in bits after the Pull Downs just before. I really only managed 5 half reps

Leg Raises (kings chair)
    x10
    ---

That Pull Down above is a weird variation of a Lat Pull Down. This is a separate lever per arm and the range of motion begins up over and in front of your face. Your hands travel towards your body in a diagonal line downwards.

Good session today. I was pretty fresh having taken Fri/Sat/Sun off.

Will try to get up in the morning and go for a swim before work. Hmmm.

Tuesday April 8th:

Cycle 5 mins ... about 1.25 km in a high gear, little resistance, just trying to get the heart rate up for an attempt at a new 5km pb on the run. It worked - see below
    ---
    Run 3.125 miles / 5km (21:48, ~450 cals) ... personal best, cut 12 seconds from last weeks run
    ---
    Squat
    45 lbs x8
    135 lbs - 2 set of 8 ... legs were tired from yestedays squatting so happy to get these sets out
    ---
    Bench Press
    135 lbs - 3 sets of 8 reps ... possibly the first correct bench press sets I've ever done. I concentrated on pinching shoulder blades together and keeping elbows tucked. Could feel it more in the chest
    ---
    Bent Over Row (oly bar)
    ---
    Single Leg Split Squat
    bodyweight per leg - 3 sets of 10 reps ... I like these
    ---
    One Arm Row (dumbbell)
    50 lbs per arm - 3 sets of 8 reps
    ---
    Leg Raise (on bench)
    3 sets of 5 reps
    ---
    Reverse Fly (dumbbell)
    ---
    T-Bar Row
    90 lbs x5
    45 lbs - 2 sets of 10 reps
    ---
    Situps (decline)
    3 sets of 11 reps
    ---
    Chin Ups
    bodyweight - 3 sets of 5 reps ... need to start doing these more towards the start of my sessions. Recently I'm wrecked when attempting these towards the end
    ---
    Leg Raises (to chin up bar)
    x5
    x1
    x didn't bother as in bits :eek:
    ---
    Tricep Push Down (cable)
    50 lbs - 3 sets of 10 reps
    ---
    Face Pull
    ---
    Calf Raise (oly bar on back)
    45 lbs - 3 sets of 30 reps ... first 10 of each with toes forward, second 10 with toes out, third 10 with toes in
    ---
    Calf Raise (seated)
    45 lbs - 3 sets of 10 reps
    ---
    Hyper Extension
    3 sets of 10 reps ... this felt good. Nice stretch on the lower back and hamstrings
    ---

There may have been some other stuff which I forgot to include. Another long session of about 1 hour 50 mins. Good pb on the run. Its getting down into half decent timing now and 20 mins for the 5km may actually be a realistic target. Not sure about the "when" of that though.

Measured myself on the electronic gadget on the way out:

Bodyfat: 9.6%
    BMI: 25.7%

I estimated my weight at 165 lbs for the above as the scales were out of operation.

Happy days, still with single digit bodyfat (yes I know these electronic things are dodgy... still :pac:)

BossArky wrote: »
    Good pb on the run. Its getting down into half decent timing now and 20 mins for the 5km may actually be a realistic target. Not sure about the "when" of that though.

For the laugh I was just checking out what the 5km world record is --> 13 minutes flat :eek:

Wednesday April 9th:

Bike 8 miles / 12.8 km (31:48) ... reading for first 7.5 miles, then sprinted last half mile
    ---
    Deadlift
    135 lbs x5
    185 lbs x5
    235 lbs x3
    285 lbs x0 x0 ... this would have been a pb of around 130kg. Only got it an inch or two off the ground on second attempt. First attempt didn't budge. Should have used mixed grip. Forgot about that

255 lbs x1 ... pretty close to my pb of 120kg. This lift was around 116kg.
    235 lbs x1
    185 lbs x5
    135 lbs x5
    135 lbs x5
    ---
    Bent Over Row (oly bar)
    45 lbs - 3 sets of 15 reps ... just the bar

Military Press (oly bar)
    45 lbs - 3 sets of 15 reps ... just the bar
    ---
    Face Pulls

Bicep Curl
    60 lbs - 3 sets of 15 reps
    ---
    Seated Row (cable)
    100 lbs - 3 sets of 10 reps

Leg Raises (kings chair)
    3 sets of 10 reps
    ---
    Leg Extension
    50 lbs per leg - 3 sets of 10 reps

Leg Curl
    50 lbs per leg x5 ... can feel my right hamstring make a snapping sensation doing these
    40 lbs per leg x5
    30 lbs per leg x5
    ---

Tired. Was planning a swim as the main focus of this session but got carried away and had no energy left after the above. Glad to get a cycle in though. Really need a book on the gym bike as pretty boring otherwise.

Thursday April 10th:

Swim 800 metres as follows....
    • 750m fc ... sprint tri distance
    • 50 bs ... cool down
    ---

First proper swim for 6 weeks.

Monday April 14th:

Squat
    45 lbs x10
    65 lbs x10
    85 lbs x10
    105 lbs x10
    125 lbs x10

Military Press
    45 lbs x10
    65 lbs x10
    85 lbs - 3 sets of 5 reps

Bent Over Row (oly bar)
    45 lbs x10
    65 lbs x10
    85 lbs - 3 sets of 10 reps
    ---
    Single Leg Split Squat
    bodyweight - 5 sets of 8 reps per leg

Deadlift (stiff leg)
    85 lbs x10
    105 lbs x10
    125 lbs x10

Deadlift (standard)
    145 lbs x5
    165 lbs x5
    ---
    Bench Press (incline)
    135 lbs x8
    135 lbs x6
    135 lbs x4

Fly (incline, dumbbell)
    20 lbs per arm - 3 sets of 8 reps

One Arm Row (incline, dumbbell)
    20 lbs per arm - 3 sets of 12 reps ... too light. Dumbbells flying up in the air
    ---
    Bicep Curl
    20 lbs per arm - 3 sets of 10 reps

Tricep Extension
    20 lbs per arm - 3 sets of 5 reps
    ---
    Leg Raise (kings chair)
    x10
    x10 ... legs from fully down to fully above head on first two sets
    x5

Seated Row (machine)
    110 lbs ish - 3 sets of 10 reps
    ---

Was in Denver for the weekend. Good to have a few days off to recuperate for this session. Nothing to heavy today.

Tuesday April 15th:

Pull Ups
    3 sets of 8 reps ... first time doing these at the start of a session for a while. Wanted to proove to myself that I could still crank out a few. Recently I've been leaving them towards the end and don't have the energy to do too many

Single Leg Split Squats
    bodyweight - 3 sets of 8 reps per leg

Cable Pull Over (standing)
    50 lbs I think - 3 sets of 10 reps
    ---
    Bench Press (oly bar)
    45 lbs x50
    155 lbs x2 ... harder than normal. Must be tired from yesteday
    135 lbs x4
    115 lbs x6
    95 lbs x8
    75 lbs x10
    55 lbs x12
    45 lbs x14 ... wrecked by the end. Maybe shouldn't have benched today as did incline and military pressing yesterday
    ---
    One Arm Row
    50 lbs per arm - 3 sets of 8 reps
    ---
    Bench Press (dumbbell)
    50 lbs per arm - 3 sets of 8 reps ... one arm at a time to make things difference and concentrate on core balance
    ---
    Deadlift
    185 lbs - 3 sets of 5 reps
    ---
    Face Pull
    30 lbs - 3 sets of 10 reps

Crunches (cable, kneel & bring head to ground)
    30 lbs x10 ... way too light
    60 lbs x5 .. still too light
    120 lbs x10 ... getting there
    155 lbs x10 ... can feel the pain
    ---
    Reverse Fly (lying face down on bench, dumbbell)
    15 lbs per arm x5
    10 lbs per arm - 2 sets of 10 reps
    ---
    Leg Raises (feet below to fully over head)
    3 sets of 5 reps

Dips
    3 sets of 5 reps ... last set was partial reps
    ---

Strained my internals somewhere behind my mid to right pec, possibly when doing the one arm dumbbell bench or dips. Kind of sore right now so looks like a day off today. Sore when I inhale deeply.

Wednesday April 16th:

Bike 11.75 miles / 18.8 km (45:00, ~450 cals) ... reading and gradually increasing resistance
    ---
    Crunches (frame)
    3 sets of 20 reps

Chin Ups
    3 sets of 6 reps

Hanging Leg Raises
    3 sets of 3 reps ... combining these in a super set with the crunches and chin ups gave a good burn in the abs
    ---
    Abductor

Adductor
    60 lbs - 3 sets of 10 reps
    ---
    Glute Isolation (machine)
    50 lbs per leg x10
    40 lbs per leg x10
    30 lbs per leg x10
    ---
    External Rotation (dumbbell)
    7.5 lbs per arm - 3 sets of 10 reps

Lateral Raise (dumbbell)
    7.5 lbs per arm - 3 sets of 10 reps
    ---
    Reverse Fly (dumbbell)
    5 lbs per arm x10
    10 lbs per arm x10
    15 lbs per arm x10
    ---
    Face Pulls

Tricep Pushdown
    ---

Late night work out from approx 9:30pm until 11:30pm. Gym relatively empty which was nice for a change. Was asleep from 6:30pm until 9pm as in bits from the last few days. Didn't think I would make it to the gym as still had the pain in my chest which was pretty sore all day - not DOMS. Decided to go do some cycling, and after that I felt fine so continued with a bit more stuff.

• Advertisement

I forgot to mention that last weekend in Denver I bought a new pair of jeans with a 31 inch waist. That is probably the smallest my waist has been for a good while, even though I'm bigger and stronger than ever before. My previous ones pair were hanging off me so it was time to upgrade.

General observation:

I was wondering why I'm so knackered recently after the gym. I realised it is because here in Seattle the gym is open until midnight. I usually get there about 6 or 7pm, meaning I don't have a time constraint and usually spend way too long working out and hammering myself.

Back home in London I usually get to the gym around 9pm, and it closes at 10pm so I can really only get in one hour max sessions.

I'm like a kid in a candy store here and need to cut down.

Friday April 18th:

Bike 5 mile / 8 km (16:45, ~120 cals I think) ... this is just under 30kmph which is the speed I'll be aiming to do the 40km in the London triathlon. Comparing gym bike to road bike probably dosen't work too well.. still that is what I'm aiming at

Squat
    45 lbs x10
    135 lbs x5
    135 lbs x5
    135 lbs x5

195 lbs x3 ... this was a pb (88kg), but I didn't realise it at the time and went heavier - see below
    195 lbs x2
    205 lbs x1 ... personal best which equates to 93 kg

185 lbs x3
    135 lbs x5
    45 lbs x10
    ---
    Cuban Press
    45 lbs - 3 sets of 8 reps ... first with ez curl bar, second and third with oly barbell
    ---
    L-Lateral Raise (dumbbell)
    15 lbs per arm - 3 sets of 8 reps
    ---
    Lying Lateral Raise (45 degree, dumbbell)
    10 lbs per arm - 2 sets of 10 reps
    ---
    External Rotation (standing, pulley)
    7.5kg per arm - 2 sets of 10 reps
    ---
    Please with the squat pb. That is approx 10kg higher than my previous best. Videos to follow.

I recorded most of the squats and it seems that my knees are coming forwards a bit. These are probably not my cleanest squats ever, but at least I have broken the physcological barrier and know that I can get up to 93kg now. Previously I was stagnating at just over 80kg. Next goal --> 100kg.

The rest of the session was spent working on Eric Cressey's "cracking the rotor cuff" exercises. These exercises felt great - as if I was massaging and stretching muscles which were crying out for just that.

I decided not to do anything else, because I want to see what kind of DOMS these rotor cuff exercises will give me tomorrow. Probably spend about 1 hr 20 mins in the gym.

Third set of 135 lbs x5:

195 lbs x3 (88kg). This was a pb but I didn't realise it at the time. Actually even just one rep on this weight was a pb, so to get three was good.

205 lbs x1 (93kg). PB again. After the first rep I was thinking about going for a second rep, you can see my hesitation. I decided to stick with just one though to avoid the possibility of getting flattened :pac:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,981 ✭✭✭✭Hanley

Squats are looking way better!! it looks like you've been working had on them. Congrats!!

Btw... you should try at least 100kg (or 225lb) next time. You coulda done 93 x3 or 4!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,912 ✭✭✭thirtyfoot

BossArky wrote: »
    Bike 5 mile / 8 km (16:45, ~120 cals I think) ... this is just under 30kmph which is the speed I'll be aiming to do the 40km in the London triathlon. Comparing gym bike to road bike probably dosen't work too well.. still that is what I'm aiming at

Just a quick question have you consciously decided to do very few miles as you are only biking in a week what you should be running if you are hoping to tackle the triathlon? Tunney is the triathlon man and he would have a caliption at the lack of miles you are doing on the bike and run and with the work you are putting in for your triathlon my impression is that it is in the wrong direction. Having said that if your focus is general fitness and not performance in the tri, then fair enough.

Hanley wrote: »
    Squats are looking way better!! it looks like you've been working had on them. Congrats!!

Btw... you should try at least 100kg (or 225lb) next time. You coulda done 93 x3 or 4!!

Thanks! I'll have to try 100kg at some stage in the next 2 to 3 weeks. I'm pleased that my squat is finally going up a bit.
    Tingle wrote: »
    Just a quick question have you consciously decided to do very few miles as you are only biking in a week what you should be running if you are hoping to tackle the triathlon?

Hey Tingle, good point. You are right, I really need to up my running and biking mileage. I have been putting both on the back burner for too long. My goal in this year's tri's is to be a competitor, not a participant! The past few months I've taken a few minutes off my 5km run, so now I'll work on the 10km run and bike... with the intention to having them polished for beginning of August which gives me around 3 months.

Saturday April 19th:

Run 6.25 miles / 10 km (46:54, ~870 cals) ... personal best
    ---

My first 10 km run for ages. Thanks Tingle for booting me up the behind :o

It is a pb, but not too important since I haven't really run the distance too many times. Hopefully with a bit more running over the next 3 months I'll knock a few more mins off it and get it under my new years resolution target of 45 mins.

First half (i.e. 5km) --> 22:52 mins
    Second half (i.e. 5km) --> 24:02 mins

I was 1:10 mins slower on the second half. I pretty much died around the 7km mark and slowed down a lot. Before that I was accelerating gradually all the time. I need to up my distances in general so that I have the endurance to keep going.

Monday April 21st:

Swim 2 km as follows....

80 lengths: 8 x 250 metres taking breaks of about 30 to 60 seconds between each set.

I decided there was no point bashing out a longer distance without breaks (i.e. 750m or 1km) because my bad form as I tire would get worn into my brain as a pattern.

Instead I took the breathers which allowed me to concentrate on lengthening reach, pushing chest down, trying to roll and generally making myself longer in the water. I was feeling pretty good about my form once I got into this and the second km flew by.

I will try this type of approach for the next few swim sessions. Pretty tired now though.

I weighed myself before the swim --> 164 lbs (74.5kg). Slightly heavier than usual but strength, speed and endurance are up so I'm not too bothered.

• Advertisement

Tuesday April 22nd:

Run 3.125 miles / 5km (23:45)
    ---
    Seated Dumbbell Power Clean
    15 lbs / 6.8 kg per arm - 3 sets of 10 reps

Bench Press (dumbbell)
    55 lbs / 25kg per arm - 3 sets of 8 reps
    ---
    Fly (dumbbell)

Reverse Fly (dumbbell, lying face down on bench)
    ---
    Shrugs (barbell)
    95 lbs / 43 kg x20
    115 lbs / 52 kg x20
    135 lbs / 61 kg x20

Bent Over Row (barbell)
    95 lbs / 43 kg - 3 sets of 10 reps
    ---

Trying to build the running up a bit more now. Legs still sore from Saturday. I couldn't have managed much more distance tonight. I started at 7mph and went up and down to 10mph throughout. Couldn't keep it at 10mph for long, apart from the end when I knew I was just about done.

Seated Dumbbell Power Clean's feel like a good exercise to superset the Dumbbell Bench with. Think I prefer the name Cuban Press though. Not sure if I see the difference between the two exercises really.

Shrugs were good though. Never really bothered trying these with a barbell before. Hopefully they'll help build my upper back a bit more.

So tonight was a run, a bit of chest, and some back stuff. Didn't have the energy to throw in Deadlifting or Pull Ups. Feeling tired the past few days since I increased the cardio.

Advertisement