Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Return of the King

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,490 Mod ✭✭✭✭BossArky

Thursday April 24th:

Run 3.125 miles / 5km (23:28, ~435 cals)
    ---
    Deadlift
    135 lbs x8
    135 lbs x8
    135 lbs x8

225 lbs x2
    225 lbs x2

305 lbs x0
    305 lbs x0 ... 2 sets of what the fu<k was I thinking --> literally seeing stars after each attempt. Bar didn't budge on either attempt as I switched from left to right underhand grip

275 lbs x0 ... no better 305 lbs attempt above

235 lbs x1
    235 lbs x1

135 lbs - 2 sets of 8 reps
    ---
    Bicep Curl
    35 lbs per arm x5 x5 x6 x6 x8 x8 x5 x5 ... supersets with the deadlifts
    ---
    One Arm Row (dumbbell)
    60 lbs per arm x8 ... was going to do 3 sets but some guy came back who was apparently using the bench
    ---
    Press Up & Row Combo
    25 lbs per arm - 3 sets of 10 reps ... these were as hard as I remembered

Single Leg Split Squats
    bodyweight per leg - 3 sets of 10 reps ... a Kiwi guy started asking about these and spend the next 10 mins telling me his life story
    ---
    Side Bends
    25 lbs - 3 sets of 10 reps per side, alternating
    ---
    Barbell Rows
    135 lbs x10 x12 x14 x16 x18 x20 ... used an underhand grip for the first time
    ---
    Face Pulls
    35 lbs - 3 sets of 15 reps

Cable Crunches (head to ground, kneeling)
    135 lbs I think - 3 sets of 10 reps
    ---
    Reverse Fly (machine)
    70 lbs x10
    80 lbs x10
    90 lbs x10

Fly (machine)
    120 lbs x10
    140 lbs x10
    160 lbs x10
    ---
    Leg Raises (kings chair)
    x10 ... legs from straight below to straight above head
    ---

Long session tonight which took almost 2 hours. Killing time and killing myself.

I haven't been eating enough carbs for the past week. I'm moving out of my Seattle appartment and trying to eat up all the cans of tuna I've stockpiled. Currently it is tuna for breakfast and dinner, along with just salad at lunch time.

I need to fix my eating habits when I get back to London next week. Looking forward to my usual assortment of local almonds and grapes, amongst other things :p :pac: ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,062 ✭✭✭gabgab

Hey Bossarky,

Fair play to you with the weights and tri stuff, I am finding it very difficult to do both, so good man for managing it,

Do you find with the increased cardio for tri your diet does not have to be as clean? I am thinking of adopting a eat everything in sight attitude now that the cardio will be increasing till late July anyway

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,490 Mod ✭✭✭✭BossArky

Hey gabgab. Yes, you are right the tri training will allow you to be a bit more lenient with your diet. These days I feel dirty if I eat "bad" foods... my mind running guilt trips on me. I suppose the extra cals have to come from somewhere but it is probably best to get them from proper sources though rather than beer and burgers i.e. something I've had too much of in the past 7/8 weeks :eek:

Good luck with your tri training. I'll keep an eye on your log to see how you progress.

All measurements in cm and taken when muscle was relaxed. First set taken on March 27th, second set April 29th. Some progress in most places. I hope human error with the tape measurement didn't play a part.

chest: (nl) 92.5 --> 93.5 (+1)
    bicep: right 34.5 left 34 --> right 35 left 35 (+0.5, +1)
    wrist: right 18.25 left 18 --> right 18.5 left 18 (no change)
    waist: (bb) 82 --> 82 (no change)
    hips: 88 --> 84 (-4)
    top of legs (ubc): 94 --> 93 (-1)
    knee: (iakc) right 42 left 42 --> right 43.5 left 43.5 (+1.5, +1.5)
    calf: right 40 left 39.75 --> right 40 left 39.75 (+0, +0)
    bodyweight: 73 kg ish ??? --> 73.5 kg(+ 0.5 kg) ... edited because I found out my scales were giving an incorrect reading
    bodyfat: 10% ish ??? --> 9%(-1%)

Tuesday April 29th:

Lunges (dumbbell)
    6kg per arm - 3 sets of 15 reps

Press Up / Row Combo (dumbbell)
    6kg per arm - 3 sets of 10 reps
    ---
    Power Clean (standing, dumbbell)

Bicep Curl (dumbbell)

Calf Raise (standing, dumbbell)
    ---

Workout at home. I've been back in London since Monday afternoon. Feeling a bit rough due to a slight cough, jet lag and lack of proper food. Hopefully I'll get back on GMT tomorrow and into a more normal routine i.e. one which dosen't involve sleeping through the day and sitting up wide awake at night.

Feeling better after the above little session. Hopefully will make it out running if there is no rain, or to the gym/pool tomorrow.

• Advertisement

Wednesday April 30th:

Squat
    20kg x8
    60kg x8
    80kg x4
    70kg x4
    60kg x8

Military Press (dumbbell, standing)
    18kg per arm - 5 sets of 8 reps
    ---
    Deadlift (stiff leg)
    60kg - 6 sets of 5 reps

Bicep Curl (dumbbell)
    18kg per arm - 3 sets of 5 reps
    15kg per arm - 3 sets of 5 reps
    ---
    Bench Press (incline)
    20kg x50
    30kg x26
    40kg x14
    50kg x8
    60kg x4
    ---
    Face Pulls
    15kg - 3 sets of 5 reps

Crunches (cable, head to ground)
    27.5kg?( max stack) - 3 sets of 20 reps
    ---

Thursday May 1st:

Walk 5.3km.

Too ill for gym / pool / run but wanted to do something.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,021 ✭✭✭Al_Fernz

BossArky wrote: »
    Thursday May 1st:

Walk 5.3km.

Too ill for gym / pool / run but wanted to do something.

I know the feeling. You just want to get in there!

Sorry to hear about it - get well soon.:pac:

Friday May 2nd:

Bench Press
    20kg x10
    50kg x10
    70kg x3

80kg x1 ... equals pb
    85kg x0 ... failed pb attempt
    85kg x0 ... failed pb attempt again
    80kg x1 ... equals pb, and first time doing 80kg more than once in a session

75kg x2
    70kg x3
    65kg x4
    60kg x5

60kg x6
    60kg x7
    ---
    Pull Ups (parallel grip, close)
    bodyweight +5kg dumbbell x8 ... video to follow
    bodyweight +5kg dumbbell x7
    bodyweight +5kg dumbbell x6
    ---
    Deadlifts
    60kg x10
    60kg x10 ... video to follow
    80kg x10 ... video to follow
    100kg x5 ... video to follow
    60kg x10
    ---

Recorded the pull ups as a way of challenging myself to get them up a bit. Hopefully by adding weight for the next few weeks I'll get a bit stronger, then go back to just bodyweight and bust out a lot more.

Problem with the bench press pb attempt of 85kg --> there is no way to increase weight from 80kg to anything less than 85kg, as 2.5kg per side is the smallest plate increment. Reckon I could have gotten away with 82kg ish if these plates existed. Almost had 85kg on the first attempt, about 3/4. Second attempt wasn't as good, got it maybe 1/2 way up.

Feeling a bit better today, still got that slightly ill feeling. Hopefully it is on the way out.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,589 ✭✭✭Hail 2 Da Chimp

Bossy, did you have a spotter while doing the Benching?
    Nice work there, I shall be checking out the vids!

• Advertisement

Al_Fernz wrote: »
    I know the feeling. You just want to get in there!

Sorry to hear about it - get well soon.:pac:

Almost back to full health!
    Bossy, did you have a spotter while doing the Benching?
    Nice work there, I shall be checking out the vids!

Thanks & yeah, Green Athene was there to spot me on anything over 80kg.

Here are today's pull ups (bodyweight plus 5kg dumbbell x8):

.. and here is a little compilation of today's deadlifts (60kg x10, 80kg x10, 100kg x5).

My back is feeling nicely tired now. You're going to have to pardon my outfit. It looks like the flag of some small African country.

Saturday May 3rd:

Run 11.6 km (61:14, outdoors)
    ---

MapMyRun estimated the distance to be 11.3 km, however Green Athene's speedometer clocked it as 11.6 km. Difference probably due to more twists and turns in reality.

I was aiming to cover the distance today and wasn't too bothered with speed.

Splits included:
    • 5km in 26 mins
    • 10km in 53 mins

Still happy enough with the time as it was the first long run outdoors for yonks. Nice day for it too. Averaging around 5mins 17 secs per km. Ideally I'd be going at 5 mins per km or slightly quicker.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,589 ✭✭✭Hail 2 Da Chimp

Nice vids Bossy, which reminds me - I really need to concentrate on my form on my pull ups.

Sunday May 4th:

Bike 14.10 km (49:15 mins, ~310 cals) ... slow recovery cycle after yesterdays run. Studying CIMA
    ---
    Shoulder Press (seated, dumbbell)
    18kg per arm - 5 sets of 8 reps
    ---
    Reverse Fly (dumbbell)
    3kg per arm - 5 sets of 12 reps
    ---
    Squat
    20kg x7
    60kg x7

80kg x5
    70kg x5 (or 7?)

60kg x7
    60kg x7
    60kg x7
    ---
    Deadlift (stiff leg)
    60kg - 3 sets of 8 reps
    ---

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,981 ✭✭✭✭Hanley

You're studying for the CIMA exams? Ew. I'd say that's lots of fun.

The deadlifts looked real easy. Maybe try sitting back into it a bit more. If you can get your hips down and your chest up you won't get as pulled forwards and won't stiff leg it as much!

Monday May 5th:

Bike 11.6km ... outdoors, great weather for it

My speedometer reckons the distance is 12.2km, Green Athene's reckons the distance is 11.6km ... and mapmyrun reckons it is 11.3km. My tires are totally bald slicks and probably over-estimate, so I'll stick with the 11.6km for the purposes of my records.

Hanley wrote: »
    You're studying for the CIMA exams? Ew. I'd say that's lots of fun.

Yeah, got 2 exams around May 20th/21st.
    Hanley wrote: »
    The deadlifts looked real easy. Maybe try sitting back into it a bit more. If you can get your hips down and your chest up you won't get as pulled forwards and won't stiff leg it as much!

I was pretty knackered for the 100kg x5 in that vid. Will concentrate on what you mentioned above next time with the conventional ones.

Re my stiff legs from yesterday - I think I'm going to heavy with 60kg. I'm feeling them too much in my lower back, and not in my hamstrings. Next time I'll try to stiff leg 40kg-ish and seem if that allows me to keep my legs straighter.

Tuesday May 6th:

Pull Ups (narrow, parallel grip)
    bodyweight +6kg dumbbell, x8 x6 x6 ... dropped dumbbell on last rep of second set

Calf Raise
    bodyweight x10 x10 x10 ... one leg at a time
    ---
    Bench Press (decline)
    20kg x10
    50kg x10
    70kg x5 x5 x5
    60kg x5 x5 x5
    50kg x5 x5 x5
    ---
    Pull Ups (narrow, parallel grip)
    bodyweight x5 x5 x5

Hanging Leg Raise
    x5 x5 x5 ... losing grip towards the end. Legs to bar on first two sets, legs to half way on last
    ---
    Deadlift
    60kg x10 x10
    80kg x10
    100kg x5 ... last rep was a struggle. Had to rest on ground for about 10 seconds before it
    60kg x10
    ---
    Bent Over Row (barbell)
    50kg - 6 sets of 10 reps
    30kg - 4 sets of 10 reps
    ---

Good session. I was trying to do more rowing than pushing today.

The benching adds up to 3400kg, and the bent over rowing to 4200kg. Will aim for more rowing each session for now on. Not counting the pull ups.

As a side note, I'm weighing in at a tub thumping 75kg right now.

I think the heaviest I have ever been was 75 or 76 when I began this log. That was back in the days when I had blubber to burn (well a small bit).

Interesting to see if I will continue getting heavier now. I have been eating well and lifting heavy (for me) recently so hopefully the weight gain is pure lean unadulterated muscle.

• Advertisement

Wednesday May 7th:

Run 5.6km (28:48) ... time includes a traffic light stop for 32 seconds.
    ---

Some splits:
    1km: 4:45
    2km: 10:00

... then all downhill. Way too tired today. Probably should have stayed at home and taken a rest. Lovely day for running with the top off! :rolleyes:

Friday May 9th:

Run 5.6km (28:33)
    ---

I was going to do the 11.6km route. However 2 pints of beer, a sandwich and lots of water jiggling around in my stomach decided otherwise.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,754 ✭✭✭Odysseus

---

I was going to do the 11.6km route. However 2 pints of beer, a sandwich and lots of water jiggling around in my stomach decided otherwise.

Classic though I still have to do a marathon where I haven't had a sly smoke at the start line. On a serious note looks like your training is going well.

Saturday May 10th:

Bike 20km (49:26, ~300+ cals) ... studying on the gym bike
    ---
    Run 1km (4:36, ~70 cals) ... a very short brick interval session on the threadmill after the bike
    • 400m@12kmph
    • 200m@16kmph
    • 200m@12kmph
    • 100m@16kmph
    • 100m@12kmph
    ---
    Bench Press (incline)
    40kg - 5 sets of 10 reps

Bent Over Row (oly bar)
    40kg - 5 sets of 10 reps
    ---

I am increasing the cardio as of now, because I haven't put enough effort into it in the past 6 months.

I've got the Blenheim tri on June 8th, La Marmotte Alps cycle on July 5th, and the London tri at the beginning of August.

Today I took it easy. Got exams in about 10 days and need to conserve energy so I'm not falling asleep over the books. I'm hoping to keep things easy enough until after the exams, and then get some long cycles (50-70km) and 10km+ runs in.

Got some good advice from tunney too, which hopefully I'll incorporate into my training.

Odysseus wrote: »
    Classic though I still have to do a marathon where I haven't had a sly smoke at the start line.

:pac:

Thanks Odysseus, just need to increase the cardio a good bit now.

Sunday May 11th:

Press Ups
    x10 ... warm up for run

Lunges
    bodyweight x10 ... warm up for run
    ---
    Run 10 km (52:02) ... outdoors
    ---
    Bike 1.5 km ... cool down on way home
    ---

Another great day to be outside. I'm quite pleased with the run. Still 7 mins off my target of 45 mins, but at least my legs are getting used to outdoor running.

First 4km was fine, averaging around 12kmph. I died a bit around km 5 and 6 and was probably down around 10kmph or even 9kmph for a bit, but got into a good rhythm after than and was up past 12kmph I reckon for km 7, 8 and 9.

During this stage I noticed my breathing was as follows: out for 3 steps, in for 3 steps. This seemed to help get me into a decent rhythm and upped my pace. I never really thought about my breathing before. This is something I'll pay attention to in future.

The last km was a bit slower, perhaps 11kmph-ish. I think I'm getting a "feel" for the kind of speed I'm running at outdoors now.

I decided to stop at 10km instead of continue for the 11.6km full loop, to allow myself time to sit down on the soccer pitches and soak up a bit of sun.

I forgot to mention that some muppet cycled straight into me during my run yesterday. I was coming around a bend on the left, and some other fellow on a bike behind was overtaking me.

THis other fellow came along from the opposite direction, saw the two of us... and veered across from his side 2 or 3 metres away, to cycle straight into both of us :eek:

I fell over, staggered up and kept going. Didn't bother wasting my breath shouting at him. He was saying "sorry, sorry, sorry" in a thick eastern european accent as I put some safety distance between us again.

I then later ran into a gate also :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,406 ✭✭✭ike

Sorry but...LOL :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,311 ✭✭✭xebec

ike wrote: »
    Sorry but...LOL :D

This is the story I want to hear, at least some guy on a bike isn't (necessarily) your fault but running into a gate :D Please elaborate!

Oh, and it's karma coming back to bite you in the ass for slagging off my popcorn eating :p

• Advertisement

Monday May 12th:

Pull Ups
    bodyweight +7kg dumbbell
    x8
    x7
    x6
    x3 ... was aiming for 5

Tricep Extension (dumbbell)
    7kg per arm - 4 sets of 10 reps
    ---
    Squat
    20kg x8
    40kg x8
    60kg x8
    70kg x4
    60kg x4
    50kg x8
    ---
    Deadlift (stiff leg)
    40kg - 3 sets of 10 reps ... feeling a good stretch here in my hamstrings. Better than when using 60kg - stretch then was mainly in the lower back
    ---
    Bent Over Row
    40kg - 3 sets of 10 reps
    ---

Advertisement