Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garda Recruitment (Archived)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭Griffen

RE: Video

As far as i know from what it says on the forms, we go into the room and get instructions on what to do. the video could be of a scene of an accident or something on the same lines. Your given rough work paper to write down any information you think is relevant to the scene and then we have to write it out properly on a time limit of course.

Dont really know much about it as i think this is the first year it was introduced as it was a written test from books in previous years.

Has anyone else heard anything relevant?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 112 ✭✭oceallachain

RE Video

I don't think we will hear anything regarding this until the geniuses who scored less than 200 on Stage 1 give the rest of us idiots feedback :D
    So detective, griffen and co. - the rest of us are waiting!!!!

Do you know whats strange i scored 279 in my appitude and how come i have an interview before detective who scored way lower, can anyone answer that question????

RE Interview date allocation detective/griffen

I don't have an answer for this however I will guess that it may have something to do with people from the greater Dublin area (who have no probs with making a 9am appointment by public transport) being treated differently to people from Cork, Limerick, Galway cities and various other places (who couldn't make it at 9am - the earliest train from Limerick pulls into Heuston at 9:15 I think).
    Truth is I don't have a clue though????

Mmm ya i just think that its strange though!

Typical got my interview on the date i was supposed to fly out with my friends to Edinburgh for few days of a hoolie for Paddys. Had to reschedule my flight for the next morning. Dont mind, just hope its worth it though!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,448 ✭✭✭FGR

I hail from Waterford and my interview is on the 18th at 9am in Dublin. It's going to be a nightmare of a day. Up at 6am in Bray to hit the Dart into Dublin..Followed by a lovely march to Upper Abbey Street.

Now. Bear in mind I came 90th. What on Earth's going on if they're not doing it by order of number?

• Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭Cosworth

I filled in form B last week with the local sergent and had a little chat with him nothing to formal.
    Asked me why i wanted to join the garda,do you think you would make a good garda? etc.

I have all my info from publicjobs.ie and i'm having a chat with a friend of mine who has just finished his first 20 weeks in templemore about the interview next week and i have my interview on the 31st so hopefully it will all go well.

Gary

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭NeverHappy

is your bmi(body mass index) under 25? i.e are you not overweight? i hear they are real strict about it nowadays. i am just under 25 so i should pass, but im gonna lose a bit more before i do the medical.
    its a bit odd, for the psni you had to have a bmi of under 30 (above 30 you are obese) but for the gards you have to be under 25, also, there is no physical competency test for the psni.

seems like the gards have quite a strict fitness level, but you wouldnt be able to tell by some of the fat ****ers you see out there.

Is this right, if so I better start seriuos weight loss. I have a BMI of 28. I was injured over xmas and piled on the pounds. I've been back training 2 weeks, but I reckon it will take a while to loose the excess again.

Also, the sergeant told me that they are recruiting a total of 2000 and will interview 4000. He also said that there was a big rush to get the first lot done as training starts May 3rd.

I'm in the top 200 with an interview next week.
    MMM might check out the old atkins diet..........
    Fitness is not an issue though as before my injury I was up to 13 miles in my Marathon training. I would hate for that to stop me.

NH

Ministers speech re: templemore and new recruits. Given at the turning of the sod ceremony.

http://www.justice.ie/80256E01003A02CF/vWeb/pcJUSQ68DK6Q-en

Another essential element to meet the Government commitment is the recruitment of the trainees themselves. You will be aware that the new recruitment campaign for the Garda Siochana was launched on 25th November 2004. I am delighted to note that over 10,500 applications were received before the closing date of 17 December last. This record level of interest follows my decision to extend the upper age limit to 35 years and compares very favourably with the number of applications in recent competitions - 6,800 applications in 2003, almost 4,000 in 2000 and just over 5,000 in 1999. It will allow record numbers of high quality recruits to be taken on over the next three years. Each quarter, for the next three years, around 274 recruits will be taken into the College. Accordingly, this year there will be an intake to the Garda College of 1,096 new recruits. In addition, it is estimated that 523 Garda trainees will become attested members of the force in 2005. Taking into account projected retirements, it will yield a combined organisational strength, of both attested Gardai and recruits in training, of 14,000 as early as 2006.

Im sure if your anyways in good enough health and can run/jog a bit it the physical should be ok.

I was told the highest failure rate is the eye and ear test, big failure rate in that section. The pulling test is meant to be you have to pull weights (25 times i think), if your small its meant to be hard as you would have to reach up, whereas if your tall its at the same level as you so therefore its a bit easier.

• Advertisement

RE: Physical Test
    Griffen is right, it is a little tougher on shorter people.
    You have to pull an average of 25 KGs over 20 seconds which is fairly handy for most fellas but some girls have a problem with this (then again, some do better than the guys - one girl pulled 39.8 when I was there!!).

RE: Medical Exam
    Eyes and ears are the biggest failure points. Eyes more than ears. I know a girl who failed due to her hearing. But once again I must say - the gardai will allow you to treat these defects if they are treatable (e.g. LASIK surgery for eyes).
    I'm not sure about what you BMI has to be :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 665 ✭✭✭8bi1ctzegfouva

NeverHappy wrote:
    Is this right, if so I better start seriuos weight loss. I have a BMI of 28. I was injured over xmas and piled on the pounds. I've been back training 2 weeks, but I reckon it will take a while to loose the excess again.

Also, the sergeant told me that they are recruiting a total of 2000 and will interview 4000. He also said that there was a big rush to get the first lot done as training starts May 3rd.

I'm in the top 200 with an interview next week.
    MMM might check out the old atkins diet..........
    Fitness is not an issue though as before my injury I was up to 13 miles in my Marathon training. I would hate for that to stop me.

NH

i was only guessing when i said that it had to be below 25, but i assume it does, as i have been told by a lot of people that they are very strict on the issue of being overweight, even if you are only a few pounds overweight i hear they will fail you. i'm not sure though. i'll ring the recruitment branch today and see if i can get an answer.

if it is the same as the psni though, it will be a bmi of 30.

i'll let you know what i find out.

Was talkin to someone who knew a girl who was overweight and she managed to pass her medical. Said she was a big girl and managed to pass it so ya'd never know.

I know that if your BMI is over 25 you are considered overweight and if it is between 20 and 25 your ok. Not sure how it applies in the Guards though.

I was told you have to be obese not to make it. They basically won't let you in if your weight conflicts with your health and for safety reasons they couldn't really push you to limit..

That said, Super was friendly. He needed to meet the six of us ASAP as HQ Told him they want the recruits no longer than a month from now.

Lovely. Taking into account the notice given between acceptance and reporting to the Chief Superintendent I'd reckon it could be May, people.

That said, Super was friendly. He needed to meet the six of us ASAP as HQ Told him they want the recruits no longer than a month from now.

Lovely. Taking into account the notice given between acceptance and reporting to the Chief Superintendent I'd reckon it could be May, people.

That could pose its own problems. I have a job that requires a months notice, as I'd say do many others.

NeverHappy wrote:
    That could pose its own problems. I have a job that requires a months notice, as I'd say do many others.

neverHappy you can defer it once you are accepted buddy.

If people from the 2004 competition will start in May then they'll be starting with people from the 2003 competition. That said I think it's strange that they told me (in writing!!) that the last opportunity to start for me would be May 3rd, as this was the last intake for the 2003 competition. If they are mixing competitions anyway then I can't see why this would matter.

Oh well, I don't care - I just want to start as soon as possible!!

Did any one have their chat with the super yet?

I got a call from naas garda station today saying that it was urgent and they wanted me to chat with the local super ASAP so i am going to maynooth garda station tomorrow at 7:30,she said it is just an informal chat but does anyone know the questions they ask?

Regards
    Gary.

rang the garda appointments office today.

was given slightly conflicting answers.

i was told in under no circumstances could you have a BMI of over 25. he said you fail instantly if that is the case, and that once you fail it, that's it, you cannot come back a few weeks later and try again.

[snipped] was told that they were "generous" and accounted for a "large frame". so im not too sure what the exact standard is. but i'd say if you are in anyway overweight to try your best over the next few weeks to lose as much as possible.

check out http://nhlbisupport.com/bmi/bmicalc.htm to work out your BMI. not sure how accurate it is, if anyone else knows of a better site let me know.

also, if you want to give the appointments office a call, and give them your weight and height, to see if you are ok, the number is 6662362

and good luck to everyone.

also, has everyone been called for an interview with the local super yet? i haven't and neither has my mate [snipped]

I don't have my interview until the 31st and i got a call today to go see the super tomorrow so i'll let you know how it goes.

Gary

Just checked on the bmi calculator and i have a bmi of 24.1 I'm 6Ft 3" and 13st 11lb.

I called them and explained my situation, ie returning from injury etc.

I was told to explain all this when I get the call for the medical, (if I get that far). It was also mentioned that for my height - 5ft 9in, that a weight of 13st is the max (thats a BMI 27). That means that they have their own measurements that dont seem to directly correlate to the BMI.

• Advertisement

I'm sure it would be best to have a BMI of under 25 but I am sure the Garda take into account your overall shape - I mean bodybuilders have huge BMI's but you wouldn't call them overweight now would you!! So if we all go in with 6 packs we won't have to worry about our BMI :rolleyes:

RE: Interview with Super
    Last year I was called for an interview with my Super in September or October - the thing was I had done my "real" interview about 4-6 months previously. He was wishing me the best of luck with it and I was like "well, I found out I passed the 2nd Stage months ago Mr. Superintendent". So if you really want to meet him then you might want to call him to ensure he knows you exist!!
    The interview itself is informal - he might ask you a few sample Q's and tell you more about the job. I suppose every Super is different though??

I was told you have to be obese not to make it. They basically won't let you in if your weight conflicts with your health and for safety reasons they couldn't really push you to limit..

Yes. I did meet him. Ten minutes of conversing..Quite informal too.

Whether it was worth the three hour journey down, and the day off work..Who knows?

/runs off to weigh himself

• Registered Users Posts: 2,991 ✭✭✭el tel

To get into the Garda the main criteria is: Be a culchie muck savage.

It's a great job, you get to walk around Dublin writing text messages all day.

When you go for your interview before answering each question just ask yourself: what would Chief Wiggum do?

Sorted.

Your obviously not intelligent enough yourself to get in otherwise it wouldn't bother you so much.
    Next time post something positive/helpfull.

I think a months ban should be enough this time.

ary

how did the meeting go cosworth?

Meeting went fine,don't know why i was nervous it lasted all of 5 mins, if even that long.
    He just asked me to tell him a bit about myself and why i want to join the garda,if i had any relations in the garda,also asked me what hobbies i had and if i played any sport.

He also told me to make sure you have at least one more example for each of the 4 questions on the application as this will be the major part of the interview.

He said that was fine and he would be recommending me,wished me the best of luck and you should have no problems.

Gary.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,951 ✭✭✭L5

el tel wrote:
    When you go for your interview before answering each question just ask yourself: what would Chief Wiggum do?

Sorted.

hahhaha :D

Hi guys,

Just wondering i never got a call to see my superintendent, kinda getting bit worried now as i have my interview in two days. Do you have to see him before the interview? Did the station notify ye to come down for your formal interivew with the super??

All that i saw was my local sergeant when filling out my form with my details on it. Never said anything about seeing the super.

you dont have to meet him before hand. a mate of mine did his interview today, but was told he will be seeing the local superintendent sometime over the next two weeks.

so i rekcon it's just a formality of going to see him.

• Advertisement

also, how did anyone who had the interview today get on?
    what was the report writing thing like? and did you have enough time for it?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement