Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garda Recruitment (Archived)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,448 ✭✭✭FGR

I couldn't get that second form back until Monday anyway! The Super Intendant was fine about it once he had it in his hands on Monday morning.

Quite a relief, really.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 665 ✭✭✭8bi1ctzegfouva

hey lilolil, thanks for your email.

That's form number 2 filled out. Better be the last one.

After speaking with a number of Gardai just out of Templemore and those teaching in the Garda School in Cork I'm feeling a little more confident.

The guys down at the local station couldn't believe I came in the top 1%. It was like a reception down there.

garda school in cork? never heard of that. what goes on there?
    and why are you feeling more confident after speaking to them?

They gave me advice about the interviews and the processes involved.

If you're in there longer than 30 minutes you're 'in', apparently.

The School in Cork is for continued training of Gardai. What they've told me is that it's getting an extension as well because of the OnGoing training being moved out of Templemore as it's solely focusing on trainees.

• Advertisement

ok cool.
    you learn something new everyday.
    re the 30 minutes. i would take that with a pinch of salt.
    i have asked two people who actually do the interviews, and they have said that the whole timing issue has nothing to do with how well you get on. you could be in the for 45 mins, and they might let it run that long because they are interested in what you are saying, or because they are seeing if you have anything interesting to say at all ( if you get what i mean)

I've been introduced to the tested-last-year stab vest that various Gardai were trying out.

They weren't happy as it was not only heavier than the PSNI version but it also lacked bullet proofing features.

It was quite heavy, I can tell you that. Running after someone who's wearing nothing but a pair of jeans and runners makes me reckon that you wouldn't be too successful.

The superintendent was quite helpful too. Didn't know that soldiers must salute a Garda at Superintendent rank or above..

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭Griffen

Hi guys

Just after registering with this site, got my garda interview wed (16th march) kinda dreading it really!

Anyone got any tips??

hey griffen, your first name isn't andrew is it?
    re tips, just read all the stuff they have sent you, and check out the civil service and garda websites.

• Registered Users Posts: 822 ✭✭✭Mutz

I've been introduced to the tested-last-year stab vest that various Gardai were trying out.

They weren't happy as it was not only heavier than the PSNI version but it also lacked bullet proofing features.

It was quite heavy, I can tell you that. Running after someone who's wearing nothing but a pair of jeans and runners makes me reckon that you wouldn't be too successful.

The superintendent was quite helpful too. Didn't know that soldiers must salute a Garda at Superintendent rank or above..

There's enough crap to be carrying to be honest without the stab vests. (utility belts, jackets, caps etc) When you're chasing someone, they're on adreneline and you're just knackered from walking around all day so the odds on catching someone are fairly slim.

• Advertisement

Cheers detective. By the way no my name is not andrew, thank god as i am female! When is your interview? You seem very confident anyways!

• Registered Users Posts: 9 seammc

how you griffin

have you any tips

Hi seammc,

Have you interview coming up?

Suppose its going to be like any other interview just a bit harder, be urself and spout the **** they want to hear!

hey griffen. sorry, just i know a guy who used to be interested in joining the gards [snipped].
    i have my interview [snipped].
    as for being confident, i wouldn't say i'm confident, i'm just trying to prepare myself as much as possible

foregone- the stab vest you saw, was it worn under or over the uniform? also, are they still on trial? or was it just lying around the station?

also, anyone who wants to have a laugh at the physical competency test check out http://www.garda.ie/angarda/physical_test.html .

re:Greffen,

ya , i hate interviews though.. best of luck anyway.
    let me know how it gos?

Interview on a Saturday? My aren't they dedicated..

The stab vest was worn under the uniform (It was white) and from what I understand the trial ended midway during summer '04.

They would have been coming on stream with the uniform but they'll now have to test another batch of vests to see whether they're suitable.

I can't recall whether it was mentioned or not but the retractable baton has been recalled...They'll get a non faulty batch back ASAP.

I have to meet the Superintendent before the end of the week so he can make up a report on me for the interview board.

On the bus for three hours tomorrow then...

Did you lot do this? It's going to be around 15 minutes. I'd say this is to confirm that I have two arms and legs, and that I don't have a swastika tattoo'ed on my forehead.

Saw my local Sergeant sunday week ago. Only got my form on the friday before that and he rang my mobile (where ever he got my num i do not know) the following saturday morning and told me to come down to the station and bring my family details, you'll need all your aunts and unlces dates of births, occupations, addresses. Also your siblings and mum and dad.

Bring your leaving cert results aswell, PRSI number and whoever your main reference is have a contact address. you will need two other references aswell, your local priest or school principal is fine, as long as the person is not a member of the force. You also have to fill out all ur work details so have your dates prepared.

As far as i know that really it. you'll have to tick a few questions about whether you were ever arrested before stuff like that!

i had to fill it out straight in front of the Sergeant. He told me that the reason why you have to fill it out infront of him its probably because of too many mistakes being made and to prevent any delays.

Hope that helps!

Cheers seammc

See how it goes anyways!

whens your interview griffen

• Advertisement

I filled out that particular form with a local Garda. They were there just to confirm my identity and double check the info I put down with the info I sent to the civil service beforehand.

This is simply an informal meeting with the Superintendent. I'm surprised that it's arisen, though he's doing it with the six people in the town who managed to make it through Stage 1.

Last I heard over 200 people in my hometown applied. Oh dear..

My interview is next wed seamcc. Cant wait to have it over, hope i do ok though, love to get the Guards! When is urs?

i was told that if we are successful we could be down in Templemore in June/July of this year. They seem to be moving quite quick this year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 112 ✭✭oceallachain

First off guys, congrats to all of you who passed Stage 1. And to those who didn't get it this time - better luck next time.

I applied in 2003. The last intake for the 2003 competition takes place on Tuesday May 3rd this year. This means that I doubt that the May 5th that the detective saw could be right but maybe. Check it out buddy!! I really don't think that could be right. My guess is that the earliest intake for the 2004 competition will be in August.

There are 4 intakes per year of about 275 each. Stage 2 is difficult lads. The interview will be challenging but everyone is in the same boat so chill out and remember that the most important word is community. Ask your local station for an example of how a garda there is involved int he community (eg. by organising footie tournaments.

Think about how you would answer Q's like "If you were posted to a one man station, how would you go about policing that community" and "What do you expect to study in Templemore" and "Who's the commissioner". Try not to get caught out in the Q's where answers are available on the prep. material.

The written communication last year didn't involve a video. But it was time constraining. YOU WILL NOT FINISH WITH MORE THAN 3/4 MINUTES LEFT if it's anything like last year and watch the handwriting and spelling - you're graded on everything.

As for stage 3. Well, the medical does break hearts. There's no doubt there. It has a relatively high failure rate. Eyesight is a big dilemma, one guy who passed with me was told to put on weight which may have been a joke (he was very thin). Having said this, all 10 lads who went through it with me passed. One had lasik treatment on his eyes and was open about it with the Gardai so YES LASIK IS PERMITTED IN THE GARDA, even though it's frobidden in the armed forces.

Don't knock the Physical Competency Test guys!! OK, compared to the Army it isn't in the same league and I heard rumours that no guy has ever failed but it has a relatively high failure rate among ladies. One person failed out of maybe 20/25 when I was in Templemore for my physical. Strongest pull on the day was 50kgs and the fastest run was 2m20 secs (I think). I done 40Kgs and 2m40 and I wasn't in the best of health on the day either.

If I can help anyone out then mail me at [email]EDITED[/email] - plz no messing lads. I know I'm taking a chance giving my email address on the net but I'm hoping that you're all law abiders as well as enforcers. :D

By the way last year I was placed 1100+, and it took about 6 month for an interview and then another 6 months for a medical but after the medical it all happens pretty fast. This year I was placed below 500 so i was happy with that. I applied again because in December I hadn't yet taken my Physical test so I wasn't guaranteed my place.

sorry, i dont really want private emails out and about onthe site. tis just a policy. its all good info and im sure people will have questions.
    please feel free to use teh PM facility and you can exchange email address' in privacy
    wwman

yeah i have to go the local super. some time this week. not sure when tho.
    oceallachain - re september 5th. actually 3rd (my mistake) it could be completely wrong. but maybe some of the people going for interview will be placed in it. not sure though. i would prefer it to be august, it would mean i could travel etc. before, but we'll have to wait and see.

so, are you going for interview again? or have you been accepted into the may 3rd intake?

Blasted Double Posts. See Below.

Once I'm given a set date (soon) then I don't mind when I start.

That said I would like the opportunity to go travelling..Though it all depends on whether I make it in or not.

How much notice are you given between acceptance and starting? Or..Is it true that you'll wait at least six weeks for a response from the interview?

I had to wait about 4 weeks for my interview results. It took ages again to be called for the medical (like 6 months, but I doubt you guys will have to wait that long cause of your super scores - well done again guys) but when you do get called for the medical it all moves along fairly fast.

2 weeks or so after my medical I was invited to Templemore for an info day on the Physical, then about 1-2 weeks after that came the physical itself and you are told on the day if you passed. About 2 weeks after that you get your official invitation to begin training and you are asked to report to the Chief Super of Templemore Training college at a certain time/date ie. your start date.

Maybe you guys will start May 3rd I don't know but what you can take to the bank is the fact that May 3rd is the last day of intake for 2003 applicants. And because of this there will be a lot of deferrals from previous intakes.

detective I was due to start Feb 2005 (I recieved confirmation of this in the post on Christmas eve). I'm in 4th year of a 4 year degree course so I decided to defer and was told the the last opportunity to accept would be May 3rd. I was also told that I MAY have to undergo another medical which is why I may still keep up my candidature for the 2004 competition because of this (you never know I could break my leg playing GAA or anything!!). So yes, I might go for my interview again on March 21st.

However I was told a few days ago by Garda HQ staff that medicals are valid for 12 months, in which case I certainly won't need to undergo another one.

my interview is start of april Griffen..

looking forward to gettin it done. hopefully it will go ok...
    anyone have info on the video being shown before interview??

i believe that this is the first year the video is being used, previously a booklet that resembled a comic magazine was used.

• Advertisement

have to bring popcorn, ha ha...

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement