Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garda Recruitment (Archived)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 57 ✭✭sarahb

You should ring the Recruitment Section in Garda HQ (phoenix park) the should give you a definite date I came 1000 im expecting to be called in late June early July

• Closed Accounts Posts: 53 ✭✭lilolil

Hi Sarah! Congrats on doing so well! Have you the number of recruitment in Garda HQ's?? I wonder if I rang them would they have any better info than the Public Services Commission?? :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 627 ✭✭✭mcguiver

Hi Sarahb,

Sounds good..I'm way up the line I'm afraid...up around 1200th place.

But I suppose we should all get plenty of practice at waitin around...thats 70% of the Garda work

The No for Garda HQ is 01 6660000 (switch) ask to be put through to H.R.M. Section ye they'll give you better information than PAS.

McGuiver 1200 is good considering the amount that did it, you will be called for interview sooner than you think

Just rang them and got told to ring the public appointments commission as they're dealing with it... he reckons about 2-3 weeks - shur that's up to the 15th - 22nd of April - I'm really getting frustrated now cause I've been offered a permanent position in the local authority and have accepted it giving them a start date of May 3rd! I don't want to start and then have to hand in my notice if I get thru on the Guards! It's a bit much to be left this late in the running! I want to book a weeks holidays too before I start! Oh - The pressures.....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,448 ✭✭✭FGR

I've been told that my temp contract will be renewed during May so I'll need to find out as well. Local Authorities eh? ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭Griffen

Ya its really fustrating all this waiting. Id say that we shud hear by the end of next week definately. Hopefully maybe they will let us know by 2m, whats the chances eh, very very slim!! I wonder do they send out regrets first though, does any one know??

Has anyone done the physical ability test? Whats it like and where do you have to do it? is it before or after the medical?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 112 ✭✭oceallachain

The PAT is done in Templemore Garda College. Its done (soon!!) after the medical. The link in the above post describes what it's like better than I ever could. If you fail you have 12 weeks to prepare and retake the PAT.
    The failure rate is pretty non-existant when it come to Males and it's fairly low when it comes to girls but having said that girls do fail it.
    About 20-25 people did it with me and only 1 person failed. Fastest run was 2.20 and strongest pull was 50Kgs on the day.

• Advertisement

:confused: How far do you have to run???

You don't really have to run far at all. It's not a straight run like the physical for the army cadets is. It is an "obstacle based jog" more than anything else. What you see in the video link at garda.ie has to be performed 3 times in under 3.20 and then after a rest you have to do the upper body push pull thingy. Given that it has to be done in 3 minutes say and the fact that if there were no obstacles in the way it would have to be done in less than 2 minutes then I would guess that it's about .25 miles in length but I really haven't a clue.

Do you have to be fairly fit to do it?
    Whats the medical like?

Does anyone know a garda anywhere that might be able to find out what's going on with the ones that were interviewed the first week???? I'm startin to get really nervous now! I hate waiting for anything!

From what I heard the intake for May 3rd mainly consists of people who did the last competition (2003) believe it or not. you will hear soon enough if you are starting on May 3rd. if you pass the interview you are put on an order of merit (marked according to your interview and references etc)

Hey Sarah

Does that mean that whoever fails gets word first, and you have to wait until they check your references background etc before you hear if you pass??

Thanks Sarahb! It's frustrating waiting but shur it'll all be worth it in the end if I get in... Did anyone request their feedback from Stage 1? I wrote to that guy Robbie Morrissey about 6 weeks ago and still haven't received anything back! I rang about that too and was told that I'd have it inside the next week or so! They must be flat out up there in the Public Appointments Office.. and then they have to deal with the likes of me ringing everyday trying to find out about my interview! :o

yes if you fail you generally hear earlier, well thats what happened to me last year.
    if you pass Garda Hq are notified and they check out your references and background, and if you were recommended by your superintendent etc, thats what the delay is, then you will be called to do the medical according to how you were marked in the interview

Hey ilioil

i thought you could only get feedback if you fail, r u just checking to see how you done on Stage 1?

No - It was on the original documentation we got that we could get feedback by writing to that guy Robbie Morrissey within 10 days of the issue of the results... I just wanted to see what way my marking went - originally I thought I'd have it back for the interview! Got my post today and nothing again! :(

• Advertisement

BTW Griffen - I pm'd you earlier - did you receive?

L,

im just after replying to ur pm.

sarahb wrote:
    Do you have to be fairly fit to do it?
    Whats the medical like?
    You don't have to be really fit to do the physical but at the same time if you have never done a days exercise in your life and you are, in general, out of shape then it would be a very poor physical that didn't "find you out". But no, you don't have to be fit.

Medical was the worst for me because it's the only part of the whole recruitment process that's completely out of your hands. If you go back through the earlier posts there will be more information on it.

Does anyone here have a sibling or close friend in the Gardaí? I'd appreciate it if you PM'd me if you do know someone in the service. Thanks a million guys!!

The recruitment process isnt fair at all, an ex friend of mine failed the interview last year, the next thing I heard she was in templemore (still is) she also passed the medical even though she has epilepsy

how did she get in if she failed the interview?

i def wud have thought that u cant do it if u have epilepsy.

I knew it! If you have any kind of pull at all! You'd have to know the right people tho! And you know they are so adamant when you are applying stressing that canvassing will disqualify - my a*se! Ah well - if we get in at least we know we deserve to be in! :mad: You know what else - My sister was in an accident yesterday and I went to pick her up after and I was chattin to the garda on the scene (push-bike type of situation!). I told him my position and he asked me to give him my mobile and he'd see what he could do.... I tell ya! POLITICS! :confused:

I dont know, she worked in Garda Hq (Harcourt Sq) so maybe she got on to somebody there. I failed it as well last time (2003) and I requested an appeal because my interview board was switched at the last minute , I found this out when I noticed that the interview board named on my feedback report werent the board that interviewed me, but I was told by Robbie Morrissey "that there was no mechanism in place where canditates could resit the interview or appeal the decision" she claims that she appealed it but thats rubbish. exceptions are made for some people,

BTW - The Garda was on the push-bike! Not my sister... She's fine too...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 665 ✭✭✭8bi1ctzegfouva

i seriously doubt any of us will be in the may 3rd class. it's just too tight. i mean lets say we get the results some time during the week starting the 11th. we then have to do the medical and physical, and have all the necessary backgound checks done. re the background checks, do they do them twice or something? i have gotten quite friendly with the sergeant in my local station, and he told me that all my background checks ie. me and my family came back clear. and that the superintendent gave me a good reference too, so i'm not sure why they'd bother to check again?

[snipped] even if they do try and rush us through the medical etc i mightnt be able to do them.

on a positive note though, one of my mates who is a gard told me that they were so pushed for time when he was being recruited that his intake didn't do a physical, they did a medical and a few days later they headed off to templemore. so you never know, they might do that for us.

hopefully knowing the right people will get you in if you have a bit of difficulty, well hopefully for me anyway. i know one of the inspectors who does the interviews, and i kinda know the ex-head of the bureau of fraud investigation, so i might be making a few phone-calls if i get bad news.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement