Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garda Recruitment (Archived)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,448 ✭✭✭FGR

It was a reply to an e-mail early this week - I wish they were telling me how I did as it's better than waiting an entire month for it.

There's a lot of speculation about the numbers too. Officially it's "1,000 per year over the next three years" yet that could mean either 3,000 are accepted now and taken in over the next three years..or three individual campaigns will be held between now and 2007.

It's hard to tell, really. Financially it would make more sense to select your 3,000 in the one go as opposed to holding 3 seperate campaigns.

It's only a matter of time.

E-mail's sent. I'm not sure if they'd be willing to disclose that kind of information but it's worth a try.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 665 ✭✭✭8bi1ctzegfouva

let me know what they say.
    they are never really too eager too give out information. like when i asked how much was taken away for the negative marking, the woman said there was none, then when i informed her there was, as it said so in the booklet, i got her to ask somone else, and they made up some **** about it being different for each question,
    not sure if they didn't want to answer, or couldn't, but they are not forthcoming with info.

does anyone actually know how much was taken away in the verbal reasoning part?

In regards to the marking.

If you get one right, you gain a mark.

If you get one wrong, you lose a mark.

So. Say you answer all of the questions in the Verbal Reasoning section (Say, 50) - yet get ten wrong. That means you got 40 right; though you'll only get 30 marks.

Yay?

yeah i knew about the way it work, its just i had heard different things from different people, i was told it was either 1/3, 1/2 or 1 mark, and then i was told by the civil service people it was different for each question.
    they are clearly all idiots.

• Advertisement

Either way..I'm looking forward to seeing how I did. I don't think my current job would be too impressed with my going for interviews halfway down the country after only been with them a few weeks ;).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

Either way..I'm looking forward to seeing how I did. I don't think my current job would be too impressed with my going for interviews halfway down the country after only been with them a few weeks ;).
    Develop a mystery illness my good man! Always works for me:D

Mystery illness sounds good.

I just got quoted for car insurance. 2,600. Lol. Looks like it's the bus for me.

Hopefully (if I succeed) the interviews will be held in Dublin, as I'm currently working in Wicklow; whereas at the time of application I sat my aptitude test in Cork.

Any updates Detective?

none so far, was talking to a local garda today, turned out he is the community garda for the area, so i am going to the station tomorrow to have a chat with him, will let you know anything important.
    also, not sure if you already are, but i reckon its a good idea to join a local gaa club. the gards love gaa - community involvement and all that, i joined the local hurling team today, havent played in years, and am probably ****e, but it will be good for the fitness too.

talking about fitness, was looking up the nypd website today, they have to do a mile and a half in 15.30 secs, while we have to do it in 11.45. talk about lazy fat americans.

• Advertisement

Woo. Army Standards.

The physical competency test is the only thing I'm concerned about at the moment..

The running isn't until our time in Templemore..where we'd be two attempts at passing it. Fortunately I'm at a pretty decent fitness level..Though I probably deserve a kick in the backside for all of the steaks I've been eating lately.

yeah i have done the new physical competency thing. they were trying it out when i was down in templemore a few years ago doing work experience. i passed it then, and i am much fitter now than i was then, so hopefully it'll be no problem,
    as for the mile and a half, i am comfortably doing it in 10.30ish at the moment, so unless anything drastic happens, like my leg falling off or something of that nature i shouldn't have a problem with it.

is your bmi(body mass index) under 25? i.e are you not overweight? i hear they are real strict about it nowadays. i am just under 25 so i should pass, but im gonna lose a bit more before i do the medical.
    its a bit odd, for the psni you had to have a bmi of under 30 (above 30 you are obese) but for the gards you have to be under 25, also, there is no physical competency test for the psni.

seems like the gards have quite a strict fitness level, but you wouldnt be able to tell by some of the fat ****ers you see out there.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

lol.

indeed. its obvious the standards are applied only to new recruits :)

but i think the time limit onthe mile and half is good. i know nothing about the gardai or law enforcement to be honest, but it seems like a good idea to have a half way decent physical target, and even at nearly 12 minutes, you should be able to walk a mile and half in that, let alone run it!

but good luck to all those interested in going for it.

yeah if you jog at a decent pace you can do it easily.

8mph isn't a decent pace for most people.

you mean its slow or fast?

Fast.

A lot of people are sweating after they walk a half mile at 2mph.

;)

ah yeah, but a lot of people are fat and/or very unfit. i used to be really unfit. but in the last few months have improved my fitness hugely. just healthy eating and going to the gym a ****-load.

Two weeks left until the results arrive. Somehow..I'm sceptical about that. Two weeks? Civil Service? Naa.

;)

two weeks?
    where did you hear that?
    we were told we'd know before the end of feb, also, interviews are supposedly starting on the 1st of march, so if they were, people would be being interviewed before others had their results.

also, did anyone see that mcdowell has claimed that the first 300 from this recruitment drive have just started training? i saw it on the eircom website some day last week. what a crock of ****! either he has is facts mixed up, or he is just plain lying.

• Advertisement

He believed it was a "very realistic" prospect for Travellers to apply to join the force under the major recruitment drive of the next three years.

The first 275 of the extra 2,000 gardaí to be recruited up to 2008 began their training at Templemore this week.

"Thankfully they [ Travellers] are now being well educated," Mr Fahey said, "and, if we are going to break down the barriers of discrimination against them, we've got to have them in the gardaí and in universities; I'm talking to some of the university authorities about creating a number of spaces.

http://home.eircom.net/content/irelandcom/topstories/4993067?view=Eircomnet

Towards the end. Is that the article? That's a little silly..Isn't it? Considering that these are the men and women who were selected in Feb 03's competition. Though all the same they better not be a part of the 1,000 that will be selected this year..Otherwise there's more competition.

I'm looking forward to the battle ahead Mr Detective ;)

nope, different article. just a brief thing saying mcdowell was announcing that the first 300 had just started training, will try and find it.

never heard about the travellers though, no offence, but travellers as guards? what the **** is the world coming to.

also, i rang the public appointments people today, results should be with us "this week, please god". now i'm not sure what she meant when she said please god, as in i don't know if there might be a problem getting the results this week, but hopefully we'll know by the end of the week.

also, on a semi-related note, i got a letter the other day saying i have been selected for jury duty. it says that gardai aren't able to sit on a jury, but what about people applying to the gardai? also, i wouldn't mind being on a jury, but i don't want the chance of being on it, and then finding out i have my interview during the case.
    - any ideas from anyone??

cheers.

i will let ya know when if/when i get my results, will they be available on-line, or will they post them out does anyone know?

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 24,924 Mod ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

never heard about the travellers though, no offence, but travellers as guards? what the **** is the world coming to.

Nice to see that if you get into the force, you'll be treating everyone with the respect they deserve..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 95 ✭✭madmorphy

"the detective" wrote :

I'd say your a bit of a walter mitty type, with an attitude like that you won't get past the interview.
    i got a letter the other day saying i have been selected for jury duty. it says that gardai aren't able to sit on a jury, but what about people applying to the gardai?

Even though you like to call yourself "the detective" you're a CIVILIAN,it's your civic duty to attend for jury duty.If by some fluke this does happen i would imagine the civil service commision will reschedule your interview.

BuffyBot wrote:
    Nice to see that if you get into the force, you'll be treating everyone with the respect they deserve..

yeah you're right there. i will treat travellers with the respect they deserve, which in the majority of cases is none.

i am sure there are some half decent knackers out there who want to try and earn an honest living, but all the ones i have met so far have been thieves or con artists, so get down off you high horse(travellers-horses, get it?). also, speak to any honest guard, and they will feel the exact same was as i do.

madmorphy wrote:
    I'd say your a bit of a walter mitty type, with an attitude like that you won't get past the interview.

walter mitty ehh? yeah that's me. all the way. muppet. have you even read walter mitty? in my opinion the person who suggested travellers should join the gardai is a walter mitty-esque character.
    but anyway, im off now in my space ship to mars, as i am the chief of police of the zogs there!(after all i am a walter mitty type)
    madmorphy wrote:
    Even though you like to call yourself "the detective" you're a CIVILIAN,it's your civic duty to attend for jury duty.If by some fluke this does happen i would imagine the civil service commision will reschedule your interview.

and um as for calling myself "the detective", um i'll let you in on little secret, this is a website on the internet. its not the real world ok! i'm sure your name isn't really "madmorphy". but i'll let you away with it.

so how about you go away with walter and have some fun.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

Well said sir!

The results will be posted to us...Though with the way this entire campaign has been I wouldn't be surprised if they posted the results online as well. This week would be ideal for the results.

As for Travellers in the Gardai. I certainly wouldn't have a problem with them as each and every recruit in Templemore is meant to be the best of the thousands who've applied. I don't discriminate..as great people and scumbags come from any part of this country..Regardless of whether they live in a palace or a caravan..And it's not too difficult finding out who is and who isn't.

That is..Unless there's a strong amount of pull backing the recruitment of non caucasian irish males in favour of anyone else. It's not my fault I was born a paddy! ;)

like i said before. i am sure there are some half decent travellers, but like the saying goes, you can take a traveller out of a halting site, but you can't take a halting site out of a traveller.

and personally i don't really think any traveller would want to be a garda. also, they have no fixed abode, so would be "untraceable"

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,951 ✭✭✭L5

someone i know is in the new batch of 300 recruits which started training 3 weeks ago. He says loads have already dropped out, and a few were kicked out, one for kicking the wing mirrors off every car on a street of cars on way home from pub :)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement