Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BOOK CLUB - Galway

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16 burglecutt

Hi Ladhrann. Is it every Tuesday that you meet or every second Tuesday? Also have any books been chosen for future meetings? I might make it to one to see how sociable you all are :)

• Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭ladhrann

Its every second Tuesday, next meeting is the 3rd of January and feel free to turn up even if you haven't read the book. We often swop books and have a chat on general topics and literature as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭carol123

Hi folks!

Hope everyone had a lovely Christmas. Won't make it to tonight's meeting I'm afraid. Enjoy! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 ASmurf

Looks like I just missed your catch up, but will try to get to the next one -will that be the 10th?

Also I love to read, but I'm no literature guru so hopefuly I won't stick out like a sore thumb?!

Cheers

ASmurf wrote: »
    Looks like I just missed your catch up, but will try to get to the next one -will that be the 10th?

Also I love to read, but I'm no literature guru so hopefuly I won't stick out like a sore thumb?!

Cheers

Hello Asmurf,

Don't worry about being a literature guru or not, we just meet up and talk about how much we like or dislike the book chosen. And we talk away about whatever comes to mind.

I'm going to propose three short stories from 'Dubliners' by James Joyce for the next meet-up on January 17th.

The Boarding House, A Little Cloud, & Counterparts

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭cheeseofdoom

Hi everyone,

I'm moving to Galway this weekend and have been following this thread on boards so I'm looking forward to coming along to the meet-up on the 17th. :)

See you all then!

Marie or @pixievondust for handiness if any of ye are on Twitter

ladhrann wrote: »
    Hello Asmurf,

Don't worry about being a literature guru or not, we just meet up and talk about how much we like or dislike the book chosen. And we talk away about whatever comes to mind.

I'm going to propose three short stories from 'Dubliners' by James Joyce for the next meet-up on January 17th.

The Boarding House, A Little Cloud, & Counterparts

Hi ladhrann. Think we did Dubliners last year sometime? :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 56 ✭✭higamos hogamos

carol123 wrote: »
    Hi ladhrann. Think we did Dubliners last year sometime? :)

As far as my sometimes less than perfect memory can recall I believe we only read The Dead, as a stand alone choice. The rest of the stories were untouched.

As far as my sometimes less than perfect memory can recall I believe we only read The Dead, as a stand alone choice. The rest of the stories were untouched.

Fair enough. Any nominations following that?

I believe next up to nominate is Higamos Hogamos, fire at will!

• Advertisement

There shall be a nomination forthcoming in the next day or so.

My nomination for Tuesday the 31st is Fictions by Jorge Luis Borges

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 Robert1782

Hi guys. I'm hoping to make it back to the book club next tuesday, been hard to attend with college and that. I was wondering if any of ye would be interested in a book swap. I'm looking for a cheap way to get some of the books on my course and would be willing to swap two or more books for any of these that you might have and be willing to swap, cheers :)

Aravind Adiga, The White Tiger (2008)
    Angela Carter, Nights at the Circus (1984)
    J.M. Coetzee, Disgrace (1999)
    Anne Enright, The Gathering (2007)
    Kazuo Ishiguro, Never Let Me Go (2005)
    Cormac McCarthy, The Road (2010)
    Ian McEwan, Atonement (2001)
    William Trevor, Felicia’s Journey (1994)
    AS Byatt, Possession (1990)
    Hilary Mantel, Beyond Black (2005)

Meeting tomorrow night, Tuesday the 17th, between about eight or half eight in The Cottage Bar.

We'll be discussing a few stories from Joyce's Dubliners-The Boarding House, A Little Cloud and Counterparts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Biddymal

Hi, I was hoping to drop in on the next meeting of the book club (14/02/12). I was just checking that the group is open to new members and what the next book is, thanks a mill

Biddymal wrote: »
    Hi, I was hoping to drop in on the next meeting of the book club (14/02/12). I was just checking that the group is open to new members and what the next book is, thanks a mill

Everyone is welcome, and the next meeting is 31/01/2012 in the Cottage Bar, Lower Salthill and the book is Fictions by Jean Luis Borges.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Biddymal

That sounds great, I may not have gotten a chance to read that book by then but hopefully will be organised by the next meeting. Thanks!

No bother, sure come in tomorrow and have a chat anyway, we're a friendly bunch!

Hey you guys! Long time no see! I will definintely be there tonight. Will give them a buzz in a while to book a table. Epiphany! :D

Any new peeps thinking of coming, just go, don't over-think it. :)

I'll be unsuitably late this evening.

The Man is busting my chops again.

• Advertisement

Just to confirm that the book for the next meeting 14th February is Nights at the Circus by Angela Carter.

The Willows by Algernon Blackwood is then the choice for the 28th February

Hi peeps
    Fyi, I looked for The Willows in town and it wasn't to be found so I got Charlie Byrnes' to order it for me, which will take 2 weeks. :)

I'll bring along my copy to the next meeting for anyone who wants to borrow it.

Daddy or chips?

Jung or Freud?

Anyone fancy going to see A Dangerous Method at the 'plex at 8 50 Monday evening?

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭geekychick

Daddy or chips?

:confused: Eh? (It's ok, I'm sure the phillum explains everything...)

I regretfully can't go tomorrow, higamos, sure aren't I already going out on Tuesday? :eek: (Out of the house, I mean!).

Oh and I haven't got/read the book this time, either. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 511 ✭✭✭hyperbaby

You guys read Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy a few months ago right?
    Was it good?
    Did ye check out the movie, what was it like?
    I'm going to see it tomorrow.
    Yes, they are a few months behind here.

Evening all!

I was wondering if we could get things started by about 9pm this evening? Pity the one with the early start. :(

Oh, and Happy Valentine's Day! Mwah! ;)

hyperbaby wrote: »
    You guys read Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy a few months ago right?
    Was it good?
    Did ye check out the movie, what was it like?
    I'm going to see it tomorrow.
    Yes, they are a few months behind here.

Hiya hyperbaby!

Thought the movie was ok but preferred the book. You should check out the version for tv from the 80's starring Alec Guinness. Way better. :)

Sound out. See you then. I couldn't get the book but to make up for it I'll bring treats.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 301 ✭✭surime

Daddy or chips?

Anyone fancy going to see A Dangerous Method at the 'plex at 8 50 Monday evening?

Don't even bother - not worth it!

Advertisement