Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BOOK CLUB - Galway

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭carol123

Has anyone heard the rumour that Dana's All Kinds of Everything is on in the background in Tinker, Tailor? Must be an interrogation scene. :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 621 ✭✭✭detoxkid

carol123 wrote: »
    No worries. We meet every second Tuesday at the Cottage Bar, Salthill in the little room on the left just inside the door from 8.30-ish. Next meeting is Tuesday 11th and the book for discussion is Our Man in Havana by Graham Greene. Hope to see you there! :)

Thanks! I won't make that one, but hope to make the next one, do you post the name of the next book on here? Can I ask roughly how many people attend?

detoxkid wrote: »
    Thanks! I won't make that one, but hope to make the next one, do you post the name of the next book on here? Can I ask roughly how many people attend?

Well we've had a few members leave us recently for foreign shores so it's usually 4 or 5. We like to think that makes us less intimidating.:P The book for Tues 26th is Frankenstein by Mary Shelly. Hope to see you there!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 56 ✭✭higamos hogamos

Sigh...

Unfortunately I won't be in attendance this evening. I finish work too late to justify an appearance. Hopefully there will come a Tuesday evening when I'm free again. Hopefully I'll make it to the next meeting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 tompneary

hi all

my nomination for the 8th of November is "The Sisters Brothers" by Patrick DeWitt

enjoy

• Advertisement

Thief! That was gonna be my next choice. :rolleyes: Should be pretty good tho.

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭AlbionCat

Has anyone heard the rumour that Dana's All Kinds of Everything is on in the background in Tinker, Tailor? Must be an interrogation scene. :eek:

I can confirm it was playing in the background in a scene, but not an interrogation scene!

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭cheeseofdoom

Hi all, I'm moving down from Dublin at the beginning of December to begin a PhD so I'll be brand spanking new to the city and would like to meet some other friendly and bookwormy folk. Hope to see ye soon! Marie :) P.s. can anyone give me the names of some good bookshops and quiet, cosy cafes for reading in?

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭geekychick

Hi Marie,

Yes, please join us when you relocate, we are still sorely missing new members! :o

Charlie Byrne's is the best bookshop in town (mainly second-hand) on Middle Street, and then you have Dubray's and Eason's on Shop Street, as well as Joyce's on Dominick Street. That's everything central I can think of right now.

I'm mainly a Salthill cafe-goer (Gourmet Tart Co. and Mocha Beans), and in town I like the Griffin's Bakery cafe, which is normally none too quiet - sorry! (I have to say, I would be doing the bulk of my reading at home...)

Hope to see you later, so. :)

Hi all, I'm moving down from Dublin at the beginning of December to begin a PhD so I'll be brand spanking new to the city and would like to meet some other friendly and bookwormy folk. Hope to see ye soon! Marie :) P.s. can anyone give me the names of some good bookshops and quiet, cosy cafes for reading in?

I agree with geekychick, we could do with some new members. Charlie Byrnes has a warehouse in Oranmore which opens to the public on Saturdays. This should give you more information http://www.charliebyrne.com/
    Hope to see you in December! :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Orlz24

Hey There,

Just wondering if this book club is open to anyone to join? Would be interested in joining.

Thanks.

Orlz24 wrote: »
    Hey There,

Just wondering if this book club is open to anyone to join? Would be interested in joining.

Thanks.

Yes! We meet tomorrow in The Cottage Bar, Salthill. Book for discussion is Frankenstein by Mary Shelly. We're there about 8.30-9.00 in the little room on the left just inside the door. Feel free to come even if you haven't read the book. :)

Sup folks. I'll be there tonight, late of course!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Orlz24

Yes! We meet tomorrow in The Cottage Bar, Salthill. Book for discussion is Frankenstein by Mary Shelly. We're there about 8.30-9.00 in the little room on the left just inside the door. Feel free to come even if you haven't read the book. :)

Thanks a mil Carol123, Probably won't make this week as i haven't read Frankenstein. Would love if you could post the next book and I'll make the next meeting. Really looking forward to it. :)

Hi Orlz24,

the next book - as noted in the post #1536.

See you in two weeks so! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭ladhrann

Hello all,

At the last meeting I was asked to nominate a book for the meeting after next i.e. a months time. So rightly or wrongly I've decided on The Drought by JG Ballard. Let me know if thats ok.

Micheál

ladhrann wrote: »
    Hello all,

At the last meeting I was asked to nominate a book for the meeting after next i.e. a months time. So rightly or wrongly I've decided on The Drought by JG Ballard. Let me know if thats ok.

Micheál

Cheers for that ladhrann

We could do that after the next book so? So that would make it:
    11th Nov The Sisters Brothers by Patrick De Witt
    25th Nov The Drought by JG Ballard

:)

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭Martty81

Update books list link.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AizyyHWRI72LdFNwVmZ4ckJuZGU1LWtmVGk0Uk54MkE&authkey=CKir3cwH

As Frankenstein was a repeat from an earlier book club. The Drought is the club's 90th book!! Maybe there should be some sort of celebration for the 100th?

I haven't read any of the books since I left so I have no further comments to make at the moment. I'm heading off to play.com to buy them all now. Much cheaper in sterling...

Bumpity Bumpity.

Meeting tonight.

Bumpity Bumpity.

Meeting tonight.

Bumpity Bumpity yourself! Where's your nomination? :p

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7 damogood

Hi everyone. I hope this message finds you all well and good. I'm glad the book club is going so still going so well. The 100th book is an amazing milestone.

I am very happy to be holding a book launch for my new graphic novel 'Brian Boru - Ireland's Warrior King', and I hope you can attend. It should be a nice evening with wine, snacks and a bit a banter.

Please feel free to bring a friend, husband, wife, kids etc.

Details: In Dubray Book Shop, Shop Street, Galway
    Thursday 17th of November 2011. 6.30pm

Hope to see you all there.

All the very best....

Damien

• Registered Users Posts: 511 ✭✭✭hyperbaby

Hey, congrats on the book!

It's on the same day as my birthday but unfortunately I'm not living in Galway anymore.

Best of luck with it :D

P.S. Sorry that I haven't posted in ages, hope the book club posse are well and happy :)

@ damogood:

congrats on your book being published and well done of course! :)

Looking forward to seeing the finished product, so to speak, so... I should be able to make it to this event (ergo you can consider this the RSVP); any other Bookclubbers going, text me or PM me?

@ hyperbaby:

we are doing well, even managed to expand our membership a bit of late, but - we miss you! Don't be a stranger now, and keep reading... ;)

Well done damogood. Must be great to be able to hold the finished product in your hands at last! I should be able to make it to the launch. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 863 ✭✭✭GastroBoy

Hi, havent been to a meeting yet but id love to join in, next meeting is when exactly??

GastroBoy wrote: »
    Hi, havent been to a meeting yet but id love to join in, next meeting is when exactly??

Hi GastroBoy. We meet again on Tuesday 22nd at 8.30-9pm. meetings take place in The Cottage Bar, Salthill. Just look for a table with a coupla books on it! The book for next week of The Drought by JG Ballard. Even if you don't get to read the book, come along anyway. See you then! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 863 ✭✭✭GastroBoy

Excellent, ill try to pick it up before then and have a look.

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭bethm

Hi all
    Well done Damogood all your hard work has paid off. Love to be at your launch but like a few others am living in foreign parts. Glad to see book club is alive and well with new members it seems. Will be home in Galway for a while around Christmas so might get to catch up. I presume you having a Christmas get together if so might be able to catch up with you then hopefully

bethm wrote: »
    Hi all
    Well done Damogood all your hard work has paid off. Love to be at your launch but like a few others am living in foreign parts. Glad to see book club is alive and well with new members it seems. Will be home in Galway for a while around Christmas so might get to catch up. I presume you having a Christmas get together if so might be able to catch up with you then hopefully

Great to hear from you bethm. Would be good to meet up over Christmas. We haven't planned anything yet but will let you know as soon as we come up to something. :)

• Advertisement

Hi everyone,

well, damogood's booklaunch last night was great craic and his book looks fantastic, I have to say! :) Give it a browse when you are next in Dubray's or Eason's, or, you know, that kind of shop...

http://www.obrien.ie/book953.cfm

@ Grainne:

hope you're reading this, we really need that nomination, please! It's kind of urgent now ;)

@ bethm:

Hiya stranger, good to know the Arabian Nights are all that and more :D... so looking forward to catching up with you soon!

Advertisement