Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BOOK CLUB - Galway

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭Martty81

Copy of Brian Boru winging it's way to London as we speak. Congrats damogood, it looks fantastic!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 56 ✭✭higamos hogamos

Howdy folks, afraid I won't be able to make it tonight.

Does anyone know the next nomination?

• Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭carol123

Howdy folks, afraid I won't be able to make it tonight.

Does anyone know the next nomination?

No worries higamos. Myself and ladhrann are going to nominate next, so mine's Arthur and George by Julian Barnes. There always seems to be one or two copies in Charlie Byrnes. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 621 ✭✭✭detoxkid

When's the next meeting on folks? Been meaning to start going for an age..

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭wonder88

Hello everyone,
    I am new to this, but do read a bit so I will try and get a hold of the nominated book by Julian Barnes. Have read a lot of his stuff and I like his writing a lot, but have not read this particular book. You never know I might make one of the meetings in the future.
    All the best.

• Advertisement

detoxkid wrote: »
    When's the next meeting on folks? Been meaning to start going for an age..

Hi detoxkid.
    We meet in the Cottage Bar every second Tuesday. People tend to show up anytime between 8.30 and 9pm, just look for the table with a coupla books on it and that's likely to be us. We're hoping to get some new members soon, as some have left us for distant shores in the last few months. :)

carol123 wrote: »
    Hi detoxkid.
    We meet in the Cottage Bar every second Tuesday. People tend to show up anytime between 8.30 and 9pm, just look for the table with a coupla books on it and that's likely to be us. We're hoping to get some new members soon, as some have left us for distant shores in the last few months. :)
    wonder88 wrote: »
    Hello everyone,
    I am new to this, but do read a bit so I will try and get a hold of the nominated book by Julian Barnes. Have read a lot of his stuff and I like his writing a lot, but have not read this particular book. You never know I might make one of the meetings in the future.
    All the best.

:)

• Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭ladhrann

Great chat chat there the last night, was about to deconstruct Irish literary culture of the past 100years and create a new theory of everything but the pub shut.

I see I've been beaten to it, so Watchmen willl be the selection for the meeting after 'Arthur & George'. I have a copy if its needed by anyone. Also mock-up of a poster for the bookclub to follow.

Hi folks

I was thinking, it might be an idea if we read Watchmen before Arthur and George, because that's quite a long book? :)

That suits me fine too. Watchmen for next week so?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭geekychick

I hope all our recent (e)migrants are doing well in their new countries/cities. We were just wondering whether anyone else besides bethm will be "home for Christmas"? Answers on postcards please! :D

The reason I'm asking is because we will start planning our annual X-mas shindig, so it would be good to be able to co-ordinate the date with everyone. bethm (and anyone else coming back), please post on when you are getting here and anything else that's relevant. Or PM me. Thanks! :)

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

A big strike-out regarding "Watchmen" at the City Centre library yesterday. It's about 60% Manga in there (own estimate).

I know that "Watchmen" is the next week's read now, but I guess I'll just get cracking on "Arthur and George" anyway, since that's the book I actually managed to get hold of. I'll have to try and borrow "Watchmen" from one of ye on Tuesday! :pac:

Till then...

• Registered Users Posts: 511 ✭✭✭hyperbaby

Hi there, I'm afraid I won't be home at Christmas. The only reason I am getting Christmas Day off is because it's on a Sunday this year.

Hope ye have fun and frolics at the party :D

I joined a book club over here yesterday and lets just say it is far more "clubby" than this book club. Take whatever meaning you want from that!

geekychick wrote: »
    I hope all our recent (e)migrants are doing well in their new countries/cities. We were just wondering whether anyone else besides bethm will be "home for Christmas"? Answers on postcards please! :D

The reason I'm asking is because we will start planning our annual X-mas shindig, so it would be good to be able to co-ordinate the date with everyone. bethm (and anyone else coming back), please post on when you are getting here and anything else that's relevant. Or PM me. Thanks! :)

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

A big strike-out regarding "Watchmen" at the City Centre library yesterday. It's about 60% Manga in there (own estimate).

I know that "Watchmen" is the next week's read now, but I guess I'll just get cracking on "Arthur and George" anyway, since that's the book I actually managed to get hold of. I'll have to try and borrow "Watchmen" from one of ye on Tuesday! :pac:

Till then...

I can give you my copy next week geekychick. Maybe we could review both books at the following meeting and talk about other things for a change on Tuesday? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭Martty81

hyperbaby wrote: »
    I joined a book club over here yesterday and lets just say it is far more "clubby" than this book club. Take whatever meaning you want from that!

You don't want to know where my mind went with that one Joanne!

I'm home on the 22nd. I'm not sure if that's any good to anyone but I do hope to be in Galway some of the days over Christmas.

I have also tried to get Watchmen and to no avail. I also tried to watch the film once upon and time and didn't make it through that either! Suffice to say I will be skipping that one and picking it up again for Arthur and George!

It could have went a few different ways eh? ;)

For example there was a geography quiz about the Middle East because one of the main character's in the book is from Iran and also there was quotes from the book and questions to discuss and answer. Miles away from the laid back Galway book club, ha!

Hope ye have a great time at the party :D

What's the craic?

So it's Watchmen tomorrow night?

Fair enough, at least I've read it(five years ago).

Nuts. It looks like I won't be able to make it this evening, once again.

Problems with Christmas trees, a long story.

If someone is looking for a copy of Watchmen I can give it to them at some stage over the next few days.

It was a small group of us this week. And I was able to share a copy of Watchmen with a member. Anyway, Arthur and George it is for next time. Any updates on the Christmas bash?

ladhrann wrote: »
    And I was able to share a copy of Watchmen with a member.

Any updates on the Christmas bash?

Yes, thanks for that, ladhrann, enjoying Watchmen at the mo. :)

No updates on the Christmas bash as yet, but I'll get the ball rolling on the date, so things should be simpler from there.

Does Saturday the 17th suit everyone (or the most of us, anyway)? As things stand, it works for me better than Friday. Votes please! :) In other news, we have the location sorted, so anyone with an inquiry as to the address etc. should PM ladhrann. :cool:

I have to nominate the next read. I'll post in the next few days.

Christ I'd better break out the hoover and wash the pigs so!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭bethm

Hi all
    I arrive back to Dublin on the 13th but not sure when I will get to galway would love to make it for the 17th Sat but not too sure yet. If I do manage it will give ye a call. If I dont make it, have a ball and one for me. ps am sure will catch up with someone over the Christmas.

Good stuff, bethm! :D

Give us a shout when you're nearer, won't ya? I hope you can make it for the bash!

Chat soon. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭bethm

Hi again
    Will give you a shout one way or the other when I get to Galway and hopefully it will be on the sat to meet up with ye all.
    Talk soon bethm

geekychick wrote: »
    Yes, thanks for that, ladhrann, enjoying Watchmen at the mo. :)

No updates on the Christmas bash as yet, but I'll get the ball rolling on the date, so things should be simpler from there.

Does Saturday the 17th suit everyone (or the most of us, anyway)? As things stand, it works for me better than Friday. Votes please! :) In other news, we have the location sorted, so anyone with an inquiry as to the address etc. should PM ladhrann. :cool:

I have to nominate the next read. I'll post in the next few days.

Not sure if 17th suits me, work is very busy at the moment. But fire away and if I make it, I make it.

carol123 wrote: »
    Not sure if 17th suits me, work is very busy at the moment. But fire away and if I make it, I make it.

OK, folks; having discussed things with a few of you off-line, we came to the conclusion it would be better to hold off on the bash for now, as it seems there would only be about 3-4 of us there. Much better idea to wait and see when a few others will be able to make it for certain... Hopefully we will come to some sort of agreement at the next meet.

My nomination for 3rd January is "Utterly Monkey" by Nick Laird. Hopefully it's good. :)

Because we read this a few months ago or maybe it was longer than that.
    Either way...
    http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2011/dec/13/bookseller-of-kabul-author-cleared

Sorry to hear that the party plans aren't going ahead.

Be still your beating heart! I wasn't looking forward to washing the pigs that much. Anyway, see ye Tuesday, I've it read ahead of time!

Is there any chance we could have this thread made a sticky? Seeing as its a long-running event and to save members from chasing it back and forth through the boards?

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭crawlb4uwalk

Hello!
    I just found this thread. I know someone that would be interested in joining you. Where do you meet, is there an obvious age bracket and what does one need to do to join the club. She's a book worm... Should fit right in :)
    Thanks!!

• Advertisement

Hello,

Our next meeting is on the 3rd January, in the Cottage Bar in Lower Salthill, we arrive from 8pm onwards generally speaking!

The group is a friendly bunch of people. Minimum age is 18, because we meet in a pub, no maximum! To join, just turn up.

Advertisement