Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BOOK CLUB - Galway

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 717 ✭✭✭TristanPeter

• Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭carol123

Great news Tristan!
    Pass on congrats to Damien. :)

Hi everybody!

I think this looks like it should be good. If anyone's interested in this pm me and I'll pick up a couple of tickets. http://tht.ie/1232/The-Crucible

By the way, who did we say is next to nominate? :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 tompneary

i think it was maja or gus, there are so few left the nominations come back around fairly quickly

Okaaay... so we've narrowed the possibilities by 50%... :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭geekychick

Good morning,

I'm laid up with either the flu or something that will do till the flu gets here. *atchoo*

However, I need to clear my name, even from my sickbed: it wasn't me, it was HIM, ladies and gentlemen of the jury. You know his name.
    *atchoo*

I am but an innocent bystander :( caught up in his devious ploy of angling for a nomination and consequently jumping ship.

I prostrate myself (not a wholly uncomfortable position considering my bones are acheing) at your mercy, and that of My Maker, awaiting your imminent acquittal of my undeserving but nevertheless completely pure and blameless,

*atchoo*

person. Thank you.

Well he's done this kind of thing before M'am. He'll probably claim he hasn't had the time to check the thread, is busy thinking of a nomination, yadda yadda...

Sorry to hear you're sick tho.:( Hope you're feeling better soon. You got chicken soup etc?

carol123 wrote: »
    Sorry to hear you're sick tho.:( Hope you're feeling better soon. You got chicken soup etc?

Thank you carol123 :) I am well stocked with chicken soup, ginger tea, vitamin C... etc! Just need a couple of days of R&R; be back to the working order very soon hopefully!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 56 ✭✭higamos hogamos

Sorry to hear about your brush with influenza. If it's anything at all like man flu it's no joke.

I'll nominate something by the evening. Something to think about in work.
    I've been called out here for my general tardiness, so no pressure.

Sorry to hear about your brush with influenza. If it's anything at all like man flu it's no joke.

Nope, no joke, indeed. I've heard tell it resembles the man flu alright, but obviously they are two completely different ailments; one affecting only the wimminz, with a lot of moaning :(, temperature-taking and tea-making, and the other, naturally a more virulent and troublesome illness, attacking only men, with lots and lots of stoical composure in the face of misfortune in evidence :cool: (and nary a box of Lemsip or a tin of chicken soup in sight)...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 56 ✭✭higamos hogamos

Pale Fire by Vladimir Nabokov.

Who's next?

Maja? Don't think it's me but I'm not really sure...:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭Martty81

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AizyyHWRI72LdFNwVmZ4ckJuZGU1LWtmVGk0Uk54MkE&hl=en_US&authkey=CKir3cwH

Having reviewed the list I think its geekychick's turn and then Carol123.

I have been remiss in reading the book club books recently but plan to amend my ways in the next couple of weeks.

I did want to mention that I have just finished reading The Help and would recommend it highly.

Hope all members are well? Obviously I know geekychicks not feeling the best but glad it hasn't hampered your use of the English language!

Carol123 did you have an amazing time? Still waiting for photos to appear on FB.....just saying....

Hi Martty,

good to hear (read) from you! How's the old London treating you? :D

Am feeling much better, thank you, and curiously, was just thinking of you earlier on as I was giving your tomato-basil-goat's cheese-puff pastry tartlet recipe another go for dinner tonight (I didn't use any pesto this time but although the result was quite passable, it's better with some pesto on, after all).

My use of the English language gaining in inconsequential verbosity, and my rate of posting on here going up a notch or two, are both a function of sitting at home sick, sleepless, listless and bored, so normal conditions should resume shortly, as everyone will be glad to know I'm sure. :pac:

Anyway...OK, I'll nominate in the course of next week if that's ok with everyone.

Have a nice weekend folks, and hopefully no hurricanes befall us during it (see the relevant thread on Galway City forum for details).

Hi folks,

sorry about the unsightly double post.

Going back to the spy novel genre a bit (albeit with a little twist).

"Our Man in Havana" by Graham Greene,

enjoy. :)

EDIT: hey! new page - no unsightliness!:D

geekychick wrote: »
    Hi folks,

sorry about the unsightly double post.

Going back to the spy novel genre a bit (albeit with a little twist).

"Our Man in Havana" by Graham Greene,

enjoy. :)

EDIT: hey! new page - no unsightliness!:D

Cheers for that geekychick. Spy theme's officially in; Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy's out next week.:)

Will come up with something next so.

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭germanSandra

Yes, surprise, surprise: It's me.

Please don't read my review, if you didn't read the book. (I don't want to ruin the end of it.)

I wondered if I should buy this book (it very rarly and consequently a bit expensive). I'm so glad that I bought it.

A man made a journey to find a special bug. He went to the seaside. Evening was closing in and a (at first view) friendly man offered him a stay overnight at a house. But this offer was a trap. He wasn't allowed to leave the house (it's situated inside a dune), he had to scoop sand each day. Because sand was everywhere (around the house, inside the house, in the water, ...).

Kobo Abe described the whole story: the arrival in the village, the realisation of the trap, the attempts to escape, the backstrokes and finally his resignation. It's unbelievable: There is a way out (a corded ladder) and he didn't go.

It's a book about sand, but never boring. A book with a lot of room for interpretation, emotions and give an inside into the human soul. I think a really good book.

Agreed, germanSandra. An interesting read. A Japanese gem. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭germanSandra

(once more I read a book from the past time (30th of September 2008 – book number 15)

It's a book about a man who is an addict. It's a funny book and not often in-depth. At first the writer talked his book out of me and I although read it. (If somebody also read it, I would write more about it.)

Some little details will stay in my memory: hair behind one's ear, toilets inside aircraft, …
    But I doubt if I really should learn form this book or I should only say: It was a good book, unusual but a good one.

Hi folks! Anyone up for Tinker, Tailor? Won't make it at the weekends myself.

• Advertisement

And my nomination btw is Frankenstein by Mary Shelly... Scary!:eek:

"My person was hideous and my stature gigantic. What did this mean? Who was I? What was I? Whence did I come? What was my destination? These questions continually recurred, but I was unable to solve them."

Hey carol123 :)

I won't be able to make tomorrow or Friday night this week (as discussed already)...

... anyway, enjoy! And perhaps we can co-ordinate better another time ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 stagedreaction

Hi Everyone,

Just FYI, As it is Culture Night in Galway (and Nationwide) tomorrow night I thought you would like to know of the events we are running in NUI Galway Library and Archives.

Of particular interest will be a talk on the personal archive of John McGahern, including an overview of how he wrote, his inspiration, his processes etc. This is at 8pm.

Also we have a talk on landed estates of Galway (7pm) and screenings from the Druid Synge series (9pm). All info here: http://nuigarchives.blogspot.com/

We would love to see you there!
    Thanks everyone.

Barry

hey,

anyone up for tinker, tailor in the eye on tuesday?

Yup. Suits me. :)

I'll try to make it, folks. :) I really want to see it now. What time are we talking?

the times are 6.20 and 9.10.

9.10 suit me better.

• Registered Users Posts: 621 ✭✭✭detoxkid

Hey there,

I'd be interested in this, when/where do you meet up? Sorry if this has been asked loads of times, it's a massive thread!

tompneary wrote: »
    the times are 6.20 and 9.10.

9.10 suit me better.

That works for me.

• Advertisement

detoxkid wrote: »
    Hey there,

I'd be interested in this, when/where do you meet up? Sorry if this has been asked loads of times, it's a massive thread!

No worries. We meet every second Tuesday at the Cottage Bar, Salthill in the little room on the left just inside the door from 8.30-ish. Next meeting is Tuesday 11th and the book for discussion is Our Man in Havana by Graham Greene. Hope to see you there! :)

Advertisement