Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

eShop Release List (Updated Every Thursday)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,656 ✭✭✭norrie rugger

I want Herzog Zwei for the megadrive out now!!

My first command and conquer-esk game

OUTSTANDING

• Closed Accounts Posts: 760 ✭✭✭TheAlmightyArse

Why couldn't you map Sin & Punishment's controls better, Nintendo, you ape? There's a second control stick for movement right there, and I don't want to have to use your smelly d-pad for anything. Oh well. Charging €2 more than usual is a bit cheeky too. But lummy, the game itself is amazing. Hooray! I'm just past the second level and I'm rationing my credits because I don't want it to be over too quickly.

Is it too much to hope that Treasure are using this release to test the water for a Wii sequel? Sin & Punishment 2 would be perfect with the remote and nunchuck.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,456 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

I want Herzog Zwei for the megadrive out now!!

My first command and conquer-esk game

OUTSTANDING

THE first RTS game ever...which I have a copy of sitting on my shelf and have yet to give it a go. Keep forgetting about it. I've heard 2 player is great craic.
    Why couldn't you map Sin & Punishment's controls better, Nintendo, you ape? There's a second control stick for movement right there, and I don't want to have to use your smelly d-pad for anything.

Is it that bad? Ever try to map n64 control pads to a usb pad yourself? It's a right pain. The thing just had so many buttons.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 760 ✭✭✭TheAlmightyArse

o1s1n wrote:
    Is it that bad? Ever try to map n64 control pads to a usb pad yourself? It's a right pain. The thing just had so many buttons.

It's quite easy if you use a custom mapping for each game, since most only make use of two thirds of the controller. Sin & Punishment is no different; it would've been easy to map the buttons so that the control stick was used to aim, the C-stick to move, L and R to jump and fire, respectively and any of the face buttons to toggle targeting mode. In line with standard FPS controls and comfortable and intuitive.

As it is, the triggers are used for movement and can feel slightly unresponsive and imprecise, and rolling (by double tapping) is far too slow. It isn't too bad (the game is still playable and brilliant), but it's baffling and inexcusable when there's an obvious, far better method.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,819 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Charging 2 euro more for sin and punishment may be cheeky but charging extra for ninja gaiden and Gradius 3 because they both supposedly never made it to euorpe is verging on criminal. Both games were released in europe although ninja gaiden was called shadow warrior. All they did was give us the 60Hz roms (something they should be offering from the start.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 55,453 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Played more S&P this morning.... it really is a good game, but the controls are absolutely horrible. Pressing the shoulder buttons so much on a classic controller is very uncomfortable.

I wish Nintendo did demos, like XBLA.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,656 ✭✭✭norrie rugger

o1s1n wrote:
    THE first RTS game ever...which I have a copy of sitting on my shelf and have yet to give it a go. Keep forgetting about it. I've heard 2 player is great craic.

I played it 13 years ago and I am still pining for it.

the way your drop ship could transform into a Mech to defend placed untill your troops arrived was a touch of genius

NeoGeo now on VC...

First game - Fatal Fury - King of Fighters (900)

Other games:

Landstalker (Megadrive)
    Golden Axe III (Megadrive)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,819 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Actually five games tonight.

Fatal Fury: I liked the later ones. Anyone any idea if this is worth it?
    Goldsn Axe 3: Quite possibly the worst game ever made avoid.
    Super Thunderblade: Woeful stuff. Dated very badly.
    Landstalker: Absolutely brilliant action RPG from the guys who brought us Shining Force and Golden Sun. Think of it as the megadrives zelda but in isometric form. Rock hard as well. Unmissable.
    Streets of Rage 3: I personally find this to be as good as SoR2. A very rare, expensive and brilliant game and a steal at the VC price.

Great to see some Neo Geo games at long last. Can't wait for blazing star, Metal Slug, Shock Troopers, Samurai Showdown 2.

Cool, there were only 3 at midnight.

Played all the NG stuff years ago in MAME. Can't really remember Fatal Fury to be honest (I was never a huge fan of fighting games). Looking forward to all the great shooters that were on the NG (Blazing Star, Pulstar, Viewpoint, Shock Troopers) and Platformers (Blues Journey, Magician Lord)....

• Advertisement

Super Metroid (SNES)
    Probotector 2 (NES)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

About bloody time!:)
    Along with Symphony of the Night, this game represents the pinnacle of 2D gaming for me... I've been putting off playing a rom of it since I first heard of the VC

Thats my weekend sorted. Super Metroid is arguably the greatest game ever made (no. 3 in my list and in no danger of being replaced).

Probotector 2 is good and all but the arcade original is on XBL for cheaper.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭Niall0

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    no. 3 in my list and in no danger of being replaced).
    Whats at 1 & 2 ?

2. Suikoden 2
    1. Panzer Dragoon Saga

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭draken

2. Suikoden 2
    1. Panzer Dragoon Saga

Wow, good choice!!!

(Re: Panzer dragoon saga: I finally can play that and NiGHTS again as the saturn emulator ssf is now working very well with all my games. Its been years since my saturn died)

Thank god, some one else on this forum that has played Panzer Dragoon Saga and I can talk to about how utterly mind blowing it is. I've something to add to your thread in the sega forum.

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭draken

Thank god, some one else on this forum that has played Panzer Dragoon Saga and I can talk to about how utterly mind blowing it is. I've something to add to your thread in the sega forum.

I cant believe that so few people have heard of this. I mean I know it was in short print when released but I dont understand how it was almost totally forgotten :)

Would be great if this was released on VC, but the game code has been lost so its unlikely.

Just read that the US got their first Turbografx-CD game, the ridiculously brilliant Gates of Thunder. Fingers crossed for tonight then and hopefully we don't just get a load of Neo Geo fighting games (unless it's SAmurai Showdown 1 or better yet 2).

3 games tonight and one is our first turbografx-cd game:

World Heroes: the game Street Fighter 2 is based on but not as good. Hold out for World Heroes 2 which is great.

Castlevania 2 Simons Quest: Fond memories of this but have to admit it has dated very badly. Impossible without a walkthrough as well. Great soundtrack though and the first `vania with the track 'bloody tears'. Come on Konami give us the stone cold classic 'vania 3: Dracula's Curse instead.

Gate of Thunder: Probably the greatest shmup on the TG-16, no mean feat considering the amount of quality shmups on the TG-16. Looks stunning, great soundtrack and superb if unoriginal gameplay. Well worth anyones 800 points.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,005 ✭✭✭Creature

World Heroes: the game Street Fighter 2 is based on but not as good. Hold out for World Heroes 2 which is great.

:eek: Surely you mean Street Fighter 2 is the game World Heroes is based on?

Creature wrote: »
    :eek: Surely you mean Street Fighter 2 is the game World Heroes is based on?

I'm almost sure World Heroes predates it and one of the SF2 producers acknowledges it as an influence.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,005 ✭✭✭Creature

Don't think so because SF2 was released in 91 whereas WH was in 92

World Heroes (1992)
    Street Fighter II (1991)

I'm heading downstairs to the Wii and I hope to be playing Samurai Showdown in the next 5 minutes. I'll be very disappointed unless we get Metal Slug or Lords of Thunder for the Turbo Duo instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,414 ✭✭✭✭machiavellianme

Seeing as Retro is probably too disappointed to follow up ;) , tonights releases are:

Magician Lord - Neo Geo 900 points
    Super Air Zonk - TurboGrafx 600 points
    Yoshi's Story - N64 1000 points

Avoid the latter like the plague.

It was saved by Super Air Zonk which is a brilliant cute 'em up. Well worth the points for this one especially if you liked Air Zonk and the fact that the original is quite rare and goes for a tidy sum. Yoshi's Story would be decent if it didn't last all of 2 hours. Still it's no yoshi's island. Not sure about Magician Lord, used to avoid it in the arcade for the shoot 'em ups and beat 'em ups.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,745 ✭✭✭doonothing

*Dillema!*

i have 1300 wii points. i already have kirby's adventure for the nes, and sin and punishment.
    im thinking of getting a nes and a snes game from this list:

donkey kong country
    street fighter 2
    super mario bros
    super metroid
    link to the past
    super castlevania 4
    sonic 3

super mario bros is the only game of them that i've played before.
    i only have the wiimote and gc controller.
    could someone cut a few names off the list? maybe some games dont work with the gc controller that well?

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 8,561 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rhyme

I'm in a similar situation... have 1300 points, eyeing up Paper Mario but also tempted by Wave Racea and Gate of Thunder :(

Your choice really depends on what you want from the Virtual Console. Is it for quick plays from time to time or are you willing to sit down and play a game that will take you a few days. Super Metroid and Link to the Past for the latter (also superb games).

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,745 ✭✭✭doonothing

what i love about the Vc is having the choice to easily swap from game to game when i get frustrated!
    i love quick fixes, and long challenges, ideally id like to get one of each for my 1300 :)

Advertisement