Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bumper Accomodation Thread *Put ALL Accomodation queries here*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33 carlos123455

How are the houses space wise for 8 people?

What's mardyke? And do you have any idea what the prices at the gym are like there for students?

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 4,063 ✭✭✭Miaireland

I stayed there many years ago. If you can book a twin room. They are much larger than the standard room and there was very little difference in the price when I was there. Well worth the extra money.

Miaireland wrote: »
    I stayed there many years ago. If you can book a twin room. They are much larger than the standard room and there was very little difference in the price when I was there. Well worth the extra money.

I just checked and its 50 euro extra for a double bed. I'll surely poly for that. Thanks.

It also said on the booking form that "this booking is accepted subject to satisfactory previous landlords reference" . I obviously don't have any previous landlords as I'm living with my parents. Will that cause any problems?

Hi, it is not a double room I am suggrsting, it is a twin room. The double room is the same size as a single where as a twin room is twice the size with a single bed and a double. J1, C1, and C3 all have twin rooms. (iI stayed in these houses but I am sure there is more). Asfor themas they don't advertise them.

Is it still brookfield or is it Jennings pool part?

• Advertisement

Still Brookfield

• Registered Users Posts: 670 ✭✭✭123 LC

the mardyke is the UCC gym (also has a pool), and all students can go there any time for free, so there's no need really to be paying for a gym. I don't think brookfield is the best student accommodation, I would say farranlea, vic mills or the village.

That's handy, yeah I'm not sure where I'll go yet. Is there may houses to rent near to the college? I heard they are a lot cheaper?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭magicianz

If you know a few other people who are renting next year, it is definitely worth looking at non-student accommodation and finding a good place. Its cheaper and generally has better facilities and you can easily control who you're with. The difference in price between student accommodation and private renting is the guts of your food bill per week. That being said, I'll try to get one of the exchange students I know living there this term to give their opinions on the place it self and come back when they respond :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭BobbyPropane

Where do I find what the expected arrival date is for my course?

• Advertisement

1.) Anyone lived there? Not sure what that means. I'll guess, though. It seems pretty empty this semester (we have an empty room in my apartment) but that's not necessarily a *bad* thing always.

2.) It's not actually too noisy, though sometimes there are parties. I don't really mind those, since I have contributed on several occasions, and they really aren't the worst. The staff is okay, nothing to complain about there.

3.) Internet - actually pretty good. I have the router in my room, which is nice, but the signal is okay throughout the apartment. Sometimes it acts up, though, and recently there has been a filter, which is ****ing retarded.

General stuff: It's a nice place, pretty big and full kitchens and all that. But it's kind of expensive, so you ARE paying for it. Laundry is also a pain in the ass, there are only 2 machines, and it's 2,50 for a wash and 2,50 for a dry, so that's also a bit annoying.

Response to questions from a mate who lives there :)

Where do I find what the expected arrival date is for my course?

You will get a welcome pack in the mail with everything you need to know about when to come in for orientation and when you start :)

magicianz wrote: »
    You will get a welcome pack in the mail with everything you need to know about when to come in for orientation and when you start :)

Thanks but I filled out the form for accomodation on ucc.ie and it asked for expected arrival date so I just put down the second monday in September and guess the finish date too

• Registered Users Posts: 250 ✭✭ciaradx

Does anyone know of a 6-bed around college? Can't really find anything at the moment and finding it hard to please all 6 people! Any help would be appreciated :)

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭Seaic

Okay lads I was wondering, when do I apply for accomodation at UCC?

• Registered Users Posts: 717 ✭✭✭calnand

Seaic wrote: »
    Okay lads I was wondering, when do I apply for accomodation at UCC?

A lot of private places have started accepting applications. Best bet is to check the ucc accommodation website.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 uccstudent1

Anyone know anything about Sheare's gate?

• Registered Users Posts: 1 VC9029

I'm looking for someone to take over end of lease from may to aug, with the option of staying on for academic year. It's a 4 double bed student house with parking in Wilton, just opposite the shopping centre. Great value. If anyone is interested let me know.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 panagma

Hi there,

I have just applied to do a Master in BIS in sept, and currently looking at different places to stay as a masters student. I was looking at Sheare's Gate, Dennehy's Cross and Lancaster Apartments. Which of these would be best recommended. I don't mind the price of the places, (saved up a lot of money to do the course) just want to know if people have had experiences with the accommodation and some pro and cons about the different locations.

Thanks
    :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Kip Casper

Hi.

I'm a Masters student who will be staying in Cork this summer to finish off a project. Looking to rent a house (or an apartment) for the summer months in or around the Mardyke/city centre stretch.

If anybody knows of somewhere available around these parts, or has any general advice, please do let me know. :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 241 ✭✭CaoimheCweeva

I'm currently living at The Student Village, it's a 15 min walk from college and is really good, highly recommend it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 58 ✭✭Hector122

would there still be a chance of getting campus accom if i booked now?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,059 ✭✭✭Screaminmidget

Hector122 wrote: »
    would there still be a chance of getting campus accom if i booked now?

For next semester? Of course! You'd be grand waiting up until august to book realistically.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 58 ✭✭Hector122

where is recommended on campus?

Hector122 wrote: »
    where is recommended on campus?

The closest accommodation to campus is Castlewhite, it's right beside main campus, western gateway building and lots of other places which is handy. The rooms are nice, with loads of storage - a double bed, unless you're sharing with another person, in which case it's a single bed - and they have their own sinks. But there's only one bathroom to share between everyone, which is up to 6 people. It's a toilet cubicle and then a shower cubicle right next to it - I've stayed there for a week before, and it was not a pleasant experience. Also the tv only has about 4 channels. Most people I know living there in first year don't get along with their roommates.
    Brookfield is really close too, but personally I don't like it. Security is really strict, though the parties are meant to be great. It has a nice setting - trees everywhere - but I find the apartments way too small.

The student Village is probably one of the nicest and cheapest accommodations going - it's where I'm living now and I love it!

The closest accommodation to campus is Castlewhite, it's right beside main campus, western gateway building and lots of other places which is handy. The rooms are nice, with loads of storage - a double bed, unless you're sharing with another person, in which case it's a single bed - and they have their own sinks. But there's only one bathroom to share between everyone, which is up to 6 people. It's a toilet cubicle and then a shower cubicle right next to it - I've stayed there for a week before, and it was not a pleasant experience. Also the tv only has about 4 channels. Most people I know living there in first year don't get along with their roommates.
    Brookfield is really close too, but personally I don't like it. Security is really strict, though the parties are meant to be great. It has a nice setting - trees everywhere - but I find the apartments way too small.

The student Village is probably one of the nicest and cheapest accommodations going - it's where I'm living now and I love it!

Damn I already booked The Lodge but those look really great...

Damn I already booked The Lodge but those look really great...

Vic Lodge is it? I know several people staying there, one girl hates it, her kitchen is tiny and the tv is right beside one counter, the kitchen table is in front of it, and then there's some leather chairs - but it's only her and 2 other girls. Apartments with more people in it have more space

• Registered Users Posts: 866 ✭✭✭Palytoxin

I was in a 4-bed in Vic Lodge last year, the living area in it was a big step up space-wise from the 3-bed, plenty of room for the table and two couches, suppose it's the luck of the draw with who and where they put you!

• Registered Users Posts: 11 bah94

Hi myself and my friend (both girls) are looking to live in a cheap (90 p/w at most) 5 or 6 person house . We're starting 2nd year in September, we're finding trouble getting accomodation as landlords prefer us to all be in a group! we however, are looking to meet new people. so if there's a group of 3 or 4 of ye (or even 1) that kinda has the same problem as us pls let me know and we can group together to look for a house :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭Korasa

Allo lads. Found out today I got my place in UCC so it looks like I will be taking up my booking for Castlewhite. Wondering what the place is like to live in to be honest. Spent some time there a few years ago and it seemed nice enough. How are the people there? Is it madly noisy or do people keep it low? And most importantly, is the internet there any good or will I have to pick up a 3g stick? thanks in advance.

Advertisement