Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Bumper Accomodation Thread *Put ALL Accomodation queries here*

1303132333436»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭iamyourending

iCrazzy wrote: »
    Hi, I got a course in Finance in UCC, I know you supposed to apply for accommodation beforehand, but in my case I had no idea, what city I was going to, so I could not go around paying deposits to like 4 cities.
    I saw an ad near the the place, for 90E a week, but I would prefer boys only, and not party heads either, or even a room with my own bath, on my own. My limit is 500E/m. I tried uni halls, but it said its closed for this year now, does anyone else have any suggestions for me, much needed, THANKS!!

Congrats on the offer, I'm sure you'll love UCC. Chances are if you saw an ad for accommodation near UCC for E90 earlier today, it's probably gone by now. As I said in an earlier post, accommodation is in high-demand near UCC and especially at this time of year. Your best bet is to keep an eye on Daft, UCC Student Pad, and also the UCC Accommodation Search group on Facebook.

Living with all lads and no parties might be tough to find for students :rolleyes: Also, in my experience, first year ensuite accommodation for under E500 would be incredibly rare but you never know!

• Registered Users Posts: 3 bestoflucklads

Hi everyone, I'm just wondering for campus accommodation, do you have to be there the day they state it begins because I'm going to be away that week?

• Registered Users Posts: 503 ✭✭✭johnb25

Hi all,

Anyone know if campus accommodation or the student apartments would likely have vacancies after Christmas; are there many students who go on work placements at that time of year?

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭Account Number

Well all, I know I don't really have to worry about this until February, but what sort of way does accommodation for incoming first years work? I was just on the UCC website, and it appears you have to fill out a special form, if you're going into first year, but when I was at the open day (or when someone from UCC came to our school), it seemed we just put our names down like everyone else and hope for the best. Anyone willing to shed some (appreciated) light on this for me?

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Jane McG

Has anyone stayed in Fullers lodge accommodation near UCC? What is it like? Thanks in advance

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4 fergi

Hi, i know this thread is a bit old, i missed out on campus accommodation, currently on the waiting lists, not sure if i will be successful.
    I have tried Daft and Rent, they only seem to be advertising for the summer months, wondering does anyone know of accommodation for Sept 2019.
    Thanks in advance.

• Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭1perriwinkle

This thread has been quiet for a while but maybe there's still a few people around who might be able to answer a couple of questions...?
    My son is heading to UCC in September. He didn't get in to student accommodation he wanted (Victoria Lodge) in the lottery. Does anyone know if many people get offered places after they missed out on the first cut? I know that everything is different in the 'new normal' but if I even knew what the chances are based on what happened previous years it might help manage our expectations.
    Second question, he has an interview for Aras Ui Thuama next week, anyone know what kinds of questions they ask? How long the interview is? And/or how many places they have V's the number of applicants? He has excellent Irish but has no clue about what they will ask which is making him very nervous.
    Would really like him to get campus accommodation as he won't know anyone when he goes. Any info/tips regarding getting into on-campus would be greatly appreciated!

• Registered Users Posts: 40 Benm123

@1perriwinkle
    I'm not too sure about the process with Vic Lodge, but from what I heard of friends who lived in the Irish accommodation - the interview is just a casual chat, with the goal of ensuring the person can speak Irish. As the rules maintain that all students living there communicate through Irish. If your son has a good level, I wouldn't be worried.

I would also recommend applying for some of the non-UCC accommodations - Farranlea, Student Village, Victoria Mills etc. They are abundant with first year students all looking to make friends, are just as close to the campus as the 'on campus' accommodations. I spent first year in student village after starting in UCC knowing nobody, and had a brilliant time making friends for life.

Even if they say they are booked out, put your name on the waiting list as loads of spaces will free up as CAO places are offered and other students don't get into UCC. Keep ringing up regularly around the time and you will be sure to get a cancellation.

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭deckie66

This thread has been quiet for a while but maybe there's still a few people around who might be able to answer a couple of questions...?
    My son is heading to UCC in September. He didn't get in to student accommodation he wanted (Victoria Lodge) in the lottery. Does anyone know if many people get offered places after they missed out on the first cut? I know that everything is different in the 'new normal' but if I even knew what the chances are based on what happened previous years it might help manage our expectations.
    Second question, he has an interview for Aras Ui Thuama next week, anyone know what kinds of questions they ask? How long the interview is? And/or how many places they have V's the number of applicants? He has excellent Irish but has no clue about what they will ask which is making him very nervous.
    Would really like him to get campus accommodation as he won't know anyone when he goes. Any info/tips regarding getting into on-campus would be greatly appreciated!

The reality is that there will be no lectures and just occasional tutorials and practicals in UCC and other universities this autumn.

Hard to imagine anyone being on campus for more a day each week

deckie66 wrote: »
    The reality is that there will be no lectures and just occasional tutorials and practicals in UCC and other universities this autumn.

Hard to imagine anyone being on campus for more a day each week

My son is doing a course involving a lot of practical work which would be hard to deliver remotely so I would imagine that would mean more contact time for him versus a course that can be delivered remotely. In addition I have read that the universities will prioritise face time for incoming first years, as they will be new to the campus, course etc.

At the moment, indications are that we are progressing in the right direction for Covid so I'm hopeful/optimistic that by the end of Sept, when colleges start ,they will be able to have small groups together for learning.

In any case, we live in Galway so commuting is not an option, and I'd certainly want him to be there full time, at least in the beginning so that he can meet people and make friends.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1 Msbrightside 001

Hi periwinkle, did you try Brookfield or give Student Village a ring to be put on waiting list, its family run and are nice to deal with.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Lill11

Hello

I have put a deposit on a room in Farranlea Hall student accommodation in Cork for the coming year. I'm going into 2nd year at UCC.

The first installment of approx €3,600 is due to be paid to Farranlea Hall today.
    With all the uncertainty re Covid 19 and the recent spike in numbers, I'm really not sure what to do.
    What are other people doing? - wait and see or pay it?
    Thanks!

Lill11 wrote: »
    Hello

I have put a deposit on a room in Farranlea Hall student accommodation in Cork for the coming year. I'm going into 2nd year at UCC.

The first installment of approx €3,600 is due to be paid to Farranlea Hall today.
    With all the uncertainty re Covid 19 and the recent spike in numbers, I'm really not sure what to do.
    What are other people doing? - wait and see or pay it?
    Thanks!

I put a deposit down this week for a room in Brookfield. I was only required to give €300, however my son is only starting first year and there's no guarantee he'll get a place on his course, so couldn't be expected to pay up any more.

I suspect that the accommodation blocks are feeling the same way you are, nervous with all the uncertainty, so are trying to secure places/income for the students who are not first years. It might be worth asking them what their policy is if (say) college start was pushed out, or you find you don't need to be there full time.

It's tough all round, trying to figure out what to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 erincrowleyx

What is the best accommodation in UCC for postgraduate students? On campus preferably and somewhere quiet and not full of undergraduates. Also, when do accommodation applications open does anyone know? Thank you

Advertisement