Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Magnet broadband

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 554 ✭✭✭TotallyEpic

Ok, this is getting ridiculous.

My ADSL gear arrived this morning and I set it up and nothing. Called Magnet, and they said my line isn't due to be setup until the 29th of September, almost a full month after I placed my order.

I was hoping it would only be a week, maybe 2 MAX.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭Bohrio

My ADSL gear arrived this morning and I set it up and nothing. Called Magnet, and they said my line isn't due to be setup until the 29th of September, almost a full month after I placed my order.

on Average a new order takes around 3-4 weeks to complete. a bitstream to Line Sharing migration it takes a bit less than that.

Just to let you know, you are going to have to be patient!

Lets just hope that there are no delays and eircom jumper your pins correctly at their block...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 baldhoo

I have problem accessing my tne internet using all my device. I sign up for 24mb but the speed when I am using my wifi is very very slow and sometimes it wont open. ANy help with this will be highly appreciated.

Thanks!
    chester

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Warble

I've had a pretty awful experience with magnet so far. I placed my order on the 7th Sept, got my router pretty quickly(10th), and I rang them up and they said my actual activation date wasn't til the 14th, so it would be up and running on or before then(fair enough).

It is now the 20th, almost a full week after the activation date, and I still have no access to Internet. I have called them every single weekday since the 14th, and every time I get the same response; 'I've mailed the person dealing with your account, and I'm waiting for an update'. EVERY SINGLE DAY. Nobody actually seems to want to help you, they're just drones following the usual procedures, whether they are working or, as is blatantly clear in my case, not. I've heard good things about the speed and the reliability, but with the piss poor service I've received so far, I won't be waiting around to find out unfortunately.

Who would've thought it would be this difficult to get Internet in your house???

• Registered Users Posts: 554 ✭✭✭TotallyEpic

Bohrio wrote: »
    on Average a new order takes around 3-4 weeks to complete. a bitstream to Line Sharing migration it takes a bit less than that.

Just to let you know, you are going to have to be patient!

Lets just hope that there are no delays and eircom jumper your pins correctly at their block...

Thanks for the heads up!

I'll be patient, but it's just annoying that's all :P Guy at Magnet tech support said theres a chance it could be up by the weekend!

• Advertisement

Thanks for the heads up!

I'll be patient, but it's just annoying that's all :P Guy at Magnet tech support said theres a chance it could be up by the weekend!

There is little they can do unfortunately, there is no way for him to know but he has to remain positive!

And you are gonna hate me mate but I forgot this is Line Sharing. SLA for Line Sharing is different now. Normally for an order placed around the 7th (lets say the order went to Eircom on the 9th) eircom delivery date should have been around the 19th (day more or less).

So the order should be about to complete. However, and this things happen, several things could happen at this stage if your DSL isnt on yet:

1- Order hasnt reached the delivery date yet (some exchanges are busier than others and the delivery date might be slightly later)
    2- Order has reached the delivery date but Eircom hasnt jumpered it yet. Reason behind could be again, workload, problem at the exchange/equipment, order is stuck on their system, among other things. If this is the case Magnet should be aware of this and this orders are escalated to Eircom. Eircom will be penalized (economically) when this happens so they try to avoid these type of situations
    3- Order has completed on Eircoms side but the Engineer has not jumpered the pairs correctly (a fault needs to be raised)
    4- There order has been marked as completed and a Line Sharing fault needs to be booked but this can't be done as there is a PSTN fault on the line and this one needs to be cleared first
    and last
    5- Order has completed on Eircoms side but there is a problem with the port/Magnet equipment and the port needs to be replaced. This is not very common as while the engineer is jumpering your line to their block they should test magnets equipment and make sure is working, this is done preciscely to avoid the customer's downtime, this is done before the order is marked as completed, but sometimes they "forget" to do it (they are only human) and the order is marked as completed, but when magnet tests it they realize the line is nor working (either that or the customer reports a fault)...

The last example is not very likely but this are more or less the top 5 (there are more but these are the more common)

Hope this helps, dont give up man! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 955 ✭✭✭Wooden Jesus

Warble wrote: »
    I've had a pretty awful experience with magnet so far. I placed my order on the 7th Sept, got my router pretty quickly(10th), and I rang them up and they said my actual activation date wasn't til the 14th, so it would be up and running on or before then(fair enough).

It is now the 20th, almost a full week after the activation date, and I still have no access to Internet. I have called them every single weekday since the 14th, and every time I get the same response; 'I've mailed the person dealing with your account, and I'm waiting for an update'. EVERY SINGLE DAY. Nobody actually seems to want to help you, they're just drones following the usual procedures, whether they are working or, as is blatantly clear in my case, not. I've heard good things about the speed and the reliability, but with the piss poor service I've received so far, I won't be waiting around to find out unfortunately.

Who would've thought it would be this difficult to get Internet in your house???
    Same thing happened to us, turns out our line was activated for 2 weeks before anyone told us, even though we called customer service during the time our line was apparently active. Plug in the router and give it a go, it might work.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,085 ✭✭✭BeanFlicker

What's people's speed like to what they are meant to be getting?

I'm on the 24mb package, getting 10-12mb download speed and 1mb uploads, 35ms ping, using wireless for both pc and xbox. Not happy with it playing xbox, very laggy

Will switch to Ethernet cable during the week, but want to see how others finding theres,

Cheers

On 8mb, getting 2.5mb download, 50-70ms ping,
    Fairly bad for xbox, connection drops a fair bit

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27 antogrimes

Previously was living in areas properly set up for broadband (Ethernet ports in every room etc.) And recently moved back to Skerries, the land that time forgot in terms of internet connectivity.

I work from home a lot, so needed broadband asap. Tried my luck with Digiweb, awful customer service, took nearly a month for them to even give me an activation date, so enough of that bull, decided to go with Magnet as I had a good experience with them in the past.

I signed up for the 24mb package, heard nothing for over a week, so decided to call and see when the router will be sent out. received a text saying I will be connected in 10 working days (which I was told when I signed up a week previously) and the next day my router arrived, odd.

My activation date is set for the 22nd, but in dire need of internet I set up the router (the infamous Zyxel one). Everything looks fine, dsl lit up, internet lit up, can access router settings etc. but the internet is insanely slow (.16mbps d/l .39mbps u/l). Got on to support, was advised that I don't have internet at the mo and have to wait until the 22nd, well, I'm actually using this internet RIGHT NOW (albeit terrible...), and when I called I was in the router settings discussing them with support, but they still thought I had no internet. Am I being impatient here... if my line wasn't active surely Id be getting nothing at all.

Saying that, I think I may have made a balls of the settings. Specifically, when I received the router, I went in to set up the wifi, passwords etc. and changed a setting which I may not have needed, I couldn't remember the default setting so I did a factory reset (not standard reset). This actually wiped all the Magnet settings and defaulted to the Zyxel one, (e.g Magnet settings, firewall off, Zyxel settings, firewall on, etc.) The reason why I think it caused an issue is because I initially had to go to the IP address, then :7080 (port)to get into the router settings, since defaulting I don't have to do this, which leads me to believe that some Magnet default setting is screwed. I tried running this by support, but he didn't get it at all, poor chap.

Anyone else have a previous experience? Line not active or setting gone wrong? I asked support for a Magnet BIN file to import into settings (which would be handy) but they don't have one...

Then there's the potential can of worms regarding the cable coming into the house being an old (eircom) one, not exactly famous for being good in any way... :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

getting a lot of dropped connections myself, would maybe happen 2-3 times a week with eircom, now it happens usually within a few mins of first going online and a few times throughout the night. my speed seems to be stuck permenantley on 8-9mb, and download speed is pretty bad, 300kb or thereabouts, it was over 1mb the first few days :/

Theres 3 of us in the house and for some reason if 1 laptop turns off or disconnects from the internet everyones connection drops, any idea why this happens?

• Registered Users Posts: 880 ✭✭✭celticbhoy27

krudler wrote: »
    getting a lot of dropped connections myself, would maybe happen 2-3 times a week with eircom, now it happens usually within a few mins of first going online and a few times throughout the night. my speed seems to be stuck permenantley on 8-9mb, and download speed is pretty bad, 300kb or thereabouts, it was over 1mb the first few days :/

you mean your upload speed is 300kb? not going to get anything other than that speed on dsl

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

you mean your upload speed is 300kb? not going to get anything other than that speed on dsl

no download, when i'm actually getting something according to the browser, actually here:

1493353700.png

I'm in Limerick not dublin, thats just the server it picked

• Registered Users Posts: 5,979 ✭✭✭TheMilkyPirate

Anybody here getting fibre with magnet? And how are you finding it?

I'm ordering their new 150mb package in wexford on monday and just wanting to know what their fibre service is like,

Also how long does it take for you to get the fibre once you order?

baraca wrote: »

I'm ordering their new 150mb package in wexford on monday and just wanting to know what their fibre service is like,

Their Fiber to the Home service is the best broadband in the country...

Doesnt take too long either can't give you estimates as it will depend on your area. Mine took barely a few days

You wont be dissapointed, nothing, not even UPC 100 mb service comes close... ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭brijay

Does eircom take orders on monday or is it just magnet this is for the 150mb in wexford

• Registered Users Posts: 7,692 ✭✭✭Dublin_Gunner

brijay wrote: »
    Does eircom take orders on monday or is it just magnet this is for the 150mb in wexford

It has NOTHING to do with Eircom :)

Magnet use their own equipment, and specifically for the FTTH its entirely Magnet, not even line rental to Eircom as it doesn't use Eircom's copper.

It has NOTHING to do with Eircom :)

Magnet use their own equipment, and specifically for the FTTH its entirely Magnet, not even line rental to Eircom as it doesn't use Eircom's copper.

Ah ok thanks:)

Also another question would it be worth moving to magnet for this or would they be more less the same than eircom

• Advertisement
  • Company Representative Posts: 2,107 ✭✭✭Magnet: Rory

baraca wrote: »

Hi,

Just to clarify to everyone on here what is happening in regard to the above fibre offering.

Eircom Wholesale have upgraded a section of their network in Wexford and Sandyford to a Fibre to the Home network. Eircom Wholesale gave all telecoms operators the opportunity to offer their services on this network and to date only Magnet and Eircom retail have decided to offer services.

Magnet will be able to take orders for service on the 26th September and our prices and product offering can be found at www.magnet.ie/fibre.

This is not to be confused with the Magnet FTTH service which is available to over 12,000 homes in Dublin and surrounding areas - availability can be established at our website www.magnet.ie under the Fibre to the Home section

Hi,

Is the service working yet?

If not PM me your details and I will gladly look into this for you.

Thanks

Warble wrote: »

Hi,

Is your service working yet?

If not please PM me your details and I will galdy look into this for you

Thanks

antogrimes wrote: »
    Previously was living in areas properly set up for broadband (Ethernet ports in every room etc.) And recently moved back to Skerries, the land that time forgot in terms of internet connectivity.

I work from home a lot, so needed broadband asap. Tried my luck with Digiweb, awful customer service, took nearly a month for them to even give me an activation date, so enough of that bull, decided to go with Magnet as I had a good experience with them in the past.

I signed up for the 24mb package, heard nothing for over a week, so decided to call and see when the router will be sent out. received a text saying I will be connected in 10 working days (which I was told when I signed up a week previously) and the next day my router arrived, odd.

My activation date is set for the 22nd, but in dire need of internet I set up the router (the infamous Zyxel one). Everything looks fine, dsl lit up, internet lit up, can access router settings etc. but the internet is insanely slow (.16mbps d/l .39mbps u/l). Got on to support, was advised that I don't have internet at the mo and have to wait until the 22nd, well, I'm actually using this internet RIGHT NOW (albeit terrible...), and when I called I was in the router settings discussing them with support, but they still thought I had no internet. Am I being impatient here... if my line wasn't active surely Id be getting nothing at all.

Saying that, I think I may have made a balls of the settings. Specifically, when I received the router, I went in to set up the wifi, passwords etc. and changed a setting which I may not have needed, I couldn't remember the default setting so I did a factory reset (not standard reset). This actually wiped all the Magnet settings and defaulted to the Zyxel one, (e.g Magnet settings, firewall off, Zyxel settings, firewall on, etc.) The reason why I think it caused an issue is because I initially had to go to the IP address, then :7080 (port)to get into the router settings, since defaulting I don't have to do this, which leads me to believe that some Magnet default setting is screwed. I tried running this by support, but he didn't get it at all, poor chap.

Anyone else have a previous experience? Line not active or setting gone wrong? I asked support for a Magnet BIN file to import into settings (which would be handy) but they don't have one...

Then there's the potential can of worms regarding the cable coming into the house being an old (eircom) one, not exactly famous for being good in any way... :mad:

Hi,

Is your service working correctly yet?

If not please PM me your account details and I will glady look into this for you

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭AirBiscuit

Any way I can check if the equipment has been sent out yet? It's been a week since the eircom engineer activated the line....

• Registered Users Posts: 4,509 ✭✭✭TheChrisD

This is not to be confused with the Magnet FTTH service which is available to over 12,000 homes in Dublin and surrounding areas - availability can be established at our website www.magnet.ie under the Fibre to the Home section

Wait, when did the speeds change from 5/10/20/50 to 30/30/60/100? And why does my speed test still say ~50/~10? Why don't you auto-upgrade customers when you upgrade your package without changing the price?

• Registered Users Posts: 39 staengus

Rory,

could you please PM me when you get the chance.The speedtests i ran today are getting atrocious results (latest is 970 kbps / 552kbps).

I've already sent two to Gary but got no response so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,979 ✭✭✭TheMilkyPirate

Is their a connection fee or anything when signing up to 150mb fibre???

• Registered Users Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭delw

delw wrote: »
    Rory i have them channels on web tv but how come the types of rte jnr,rte news,rte +1 can be heard on my tv but cant be seen?
    Hi,

I am having this checked out for you and will revert as soon as possible.

Thanks

hi Rory,any joy on this,cheers

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 236 ✭✭Nationalist

We just ordered Magnet force Max to our gaf in maynooth. We had to take force max because simply broadband and magnet bolt weren't available for our gaf. Anybody from maynooth with this package? How are your speeds?

Advertisement