Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

C4 now 142 on SKY ROI subscription

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

Tony wrote:
    obviously the Op is referring to the satellite service as this is a satellite forum.

Sorry, just saw the link on the mainpage and didn't realise it was here, thought it was in the TV forum. Either way, I'm sure there is a way around it.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,327 ✭✭✭✭Tony

MrJoeSoap wrote:
    Sorry, just saw the link on the mainpage and didn't realise it was here, thought it was in the TV forum. Either way, I'm sure there is a way around it.

Hopefully , could well be the decided to launch first to boost sky for x mas and work out the rights later.

Desktop PC Boards discount code on https://www.satellite.ie/ is boards.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

I'd be confident that C4 can sort the rights issues. It's practice for 2008!

I've hijacked Big Paddy's thread and merged here to discourage people from opening 20 new threads on the subject.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,107 ✭✭✭John R

Just checked it and I can't watch it properly as I feed my sky+ through a VCR and a DVD Recorder.

Can anybody else confirm that C4 has macrovision copy protection on it? Would that make it the first non-PPV channel to have this.

Seems very odd especially if they are blocking US imports anyway. Is there a rash of illegal tape sharing of big brother episodes in the ROI that I am unaware of?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,803 ✭✭✭Charles Slane

John R wrote:
    Can anybody else confirm that C4 has macrovision copy protection on it?

Yeah there's a lot of posts about it on DigitalSpy, so it's not just an Irish issue. The feeling seems to be that it's an error, so we'll have to see how it pans out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,224 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Lads, remember that since 2003 or so, Channel 4's transmission area for the purposes of content contracts is "The United Kingdom and the Republic of Ireland". I don't expect to see ANY 08 Not Availables here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34 Marty_

MYOB wrote:
    I don't expect to see ANY 08 Not Availables here.

Not sure what you mean ?

If you goto Channel 4 for tonights showing at 10pm "Without A Trace" press the I button for information the last line say "Not Available in ROI" and so do many other US shows, most or some of the shows blocked out are also been show on Channel 6 so thats probably the answer.

Could be pre-2003 purchases.

Channel 4 have the base contracts they use to buy all their shows on their 4Producers websites. They all state the transmission area is the UK+ROI and allow FTA transmission in them.

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,105 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

I guess you'll have ot wait until 10, but I'd say you'll have an 08 error message.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 742 ✭✭✭channelsurfer

bit silly having the 08 on without a trace considering the series has already been shown on E4 here in ireland.. they hardly consider it a terrestrial showing by showing it on C4 do they thus the reason for blocking it here? are they saying they have the satellite rights to it via E4 but not the terrestrial rights via C4 here?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,492 ✭✭✭Sir Oxman

I'm just glad we have C4 on the EPg - I don't watch much US shows so I am delighted to be able to Sky+ the UK output.

It seems a bit silly as most (all?) of the US shows get shown on E4 or More4 anyway.
    Maybe sometging to do with RTE etc - maybe C4 or Bskyb had to block these shows to get on the EPG due to RTE's T&Cs with Sky?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,803 ✭✭✭Charles Slane

And there it is.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 hughman

Anyone else heard of this new announcement? An associate of mine confirmed with me today he has recieved a memo from Sky that channel 4 will be on the EPG from Monday in slot 142. Can anyone confirm this aswell?
    yes c4 is on sky 142

• Registered Users Posts: 5,743 ✭✭✭kleefarr

Just gone off!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 246 ✭✭bishop brennan

Just came up at 10.00 "Without a trace "this program is not available,hope they get rights issues sorted out!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 510 ✭✭✭TVDX

Yes, confirmed C4 has 08 Not Available message for "Without a Trace".

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 1,344 ✭✭✭mike2084

Does anyone think the Horse Racing on 4 will be 08 messaged?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 246 ✭✭bishop brennan

TVDX wrote:
    Yes, confirmed C4 has 08 Not Available message for "Without a Trace".

Yes confirmed TVDX,we do have an 08,over.

interestingly the uk ftv card I use(dont have sky sub anymore) gives the usual discription of whats on and at the very end it says.... not available in ROI.

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,105 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

interestingly the uk ftv card I use(dont have sky sub anymore) gives the usual discription of whats on and at the very end it says.... not available in ROI.
    Yeah, says same on my UK card. The programme info box is the same in both UK and Ireland.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,107 ✭✭✭John R

MYOB wrote:
    Could be pre-2003 purchases.

Channel 4 have the base contracts they use to buy all their shows on their 4Producers websites. They all state the transmission area is the UK+ROI and allow FTA transmission in them.

That is for programmes commissioned by C4 not for overseas buy-ins.

C4 do not make ANY of their own programmes, they commission independent producers to make them and the website above is the basis for those contracts.

Any programme that is copyrighted to C4 will have been commissioned in that way, other programmes such as US network series are negotiated seperately.

For major US series from the big hollywood studios the terms are usually set by the studios and one of their biggest conditions is geographic rights. They divide up the rights to maximise their potential to sell the programmes as much as possible.

Broadcasting FTA is a problem not only because of spill over to ROI but because the studios do not want English language spill over to the rest of Europe. It was a problem for the BBC, they had to drop plans to show season 2 of "24" after the first season had been their biggest US import for years.

I can see FTA being a big problem for C4 as they show much more US programming than BBC or ITV.

• Registered Users Posts: 994 ✭✭✭eirman

Is More4 +1 gone from Sky-ROI?
    It's on 189 on my NI sub

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭Pacifico

More 4 is on 189 and More 4 +1 is on 190

• Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭Blinder

eirman wrote:
    Is More4 +1 gone from Sky-ROI?
    It's on 189 on my NI sub

More4+1 is now on 190 on sky-roi

• Registered Users Posts: 8,144 ✭✭✭Ronan|Raven

Nothing of any importance then.

John R wrote:
    It was a problem for the BBC, they had to drop plans to show season 2 of "24" after the first season had been their biggest US import for years.

Completely untrue, they lost out in a direct head to head bidding war. NOTHING to do with FTA, only money, but Sky managed to get a rumour going in the hope that other channels might fall for it.

yep totally untrue. its a great myth that sky via news corp put out that bbc lost 24 to sky1 because they went fta when in fact it was that sky paid almost 10 times what the bbc was originally paying per episode to snatch it from them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 beezneez

was there and now its gone, thought there was some block from another company preventing sky from putting it FTA in ireland?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,916 ✭✭✭dubmick

is it gone off the epg?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,777 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

its still there currently showing ER

Advertisement