Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

C4 now 142 on SKY ROI subscription

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 388 ✭✭spatchco

yippie ch 4 on sky ch142 at last ,am writeing my letter to ntl saying thanks and good:D luck

• Closed Accounts Posts: 845 ✭✭✭djpaul

Wonder how Chorus is feeling this morning?? Well, they always have Channel
    6:p Heads up to all on boards who "Believed" That the given information was
    spot on :)

Now, how about putting ITV back on the EPG:mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34 Marty_

Seems we can't watch most US shows, EPG says "Not available in ROI" don't know for sure but it may work through other channels/regions.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

If it's block. it's blocked, c4 is NOT FTA, so "other channels" won't help
    Same arises on some RTE programs on N.I. Variety pack subscription. Eaxcat same principle and mechanism for same reason (rights).

I'd expect though it is only temporarily with C4 are not blocked on Cable (RTE progs blocked on Cable too) and Ireland is small compared with UK.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 742 ✭✭✭channelsurfer

watch out for the 08 screen on all US programmes every time. this is probably the deal they struck and the reason they kept it so quiet. so yes channel 4 on but only the original c4 programmes. bit of a half measure really. at least my ftv card will still come in handy.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 34 Marty_

watty wrote:
    If it's block. it's blocked, c4 is NOT FTA, so "other channels" won't help
    Same arises on some RTE programs on N.I. Variety pack subscription. Eaxcat same principle and mechanism for same reason (rights).

I'd expect though it is only temporarily with C4 are not blocked on Cable (RTE progs blocked on Cable too) and Ireland is small compared with UK.

Iam just asking as iam not that experianced with RTE in the north, but currently we can access all other CH4 regions accross the UK so its how the card decrypts rather then what it decrypts.Where as RTE up the north is one channel the same one we watch, so the card works on the assumption that "Not available..." means just that because theres no alternative, am I way out on that ?

• Registered Users Posts: 20 watchall

I just found out a min ago. I was flicking around and there it was. :eek: BUT.. It's a Pitty i can't stand C4. :D Never watch it anymore.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

watch out for the 08 screen on all US programmes every time. this is probably the deal they struck and the reason they kept it so quiet. so yes channel 4 on but only the original c4 programmes. bit of a half measure really. at least my ftv card will still come in handy.

no difference as it is the home grown programmes that are the best ones
    the US stuff can be seen on E4/More 4 anyway

• Closed Accounts Posts: 246 ✭✭bishop brennan

An American program something called Third Watch is showing now in the clear,maybe this will only apply to certain programs.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,854 ✭✭✭zuutroy

So, after all the excitement about C4's arrival, whts worth watching on it? Haven't seen it in a few months, and would like my memory refreshed!

• Advertisement

I've had C4 on satellite for 6 years. The only less watched UK channel here is Five.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭stanley1

C4 was a premium and ground breaking channel when it started but now its full of garbage, big brother etc.

Marty_ wrote:
    Iam just asking as iam not that experianced with RTE in the north, but currently we can access all other CH4 regions accross the UK so its how the card decrypts rather then what it decrypts.Where as RTE up the north is one channel the same one we watch, so the card works on the assumption that "Not available..." means just that because theres no alternative, am I way out on that ?

Um... It's a Sky/NDS system. The broadcaster I think can region flag it. Your card has a region or in UK a postcode. Just think if WE had postcodes RTE could block Dublin centric programs to avoid offend us outside the Pale.

IF the channel is FTA then the card just decided which EPG is used etc. Such like S4C~digidol is on different EPG numbers in Wales . If the channel is encrypted then there can be either per-region / postcode blocking for entire channel (i.e. Five) and /or change EPG position (RTE in N.I on postcodes) or per program blocking based on Postcode.

The Republic as far as Sky SW is concerned I don't think is a separate Country, but just Post Code "ROI ROI".

Dublin area codes are Dublin Area codes. Like Cities or Counties. There ARE real Irish Post Codes, but An post keeps them secret to have a competitive advantage in Direct (junk) Mailling :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,984 ✭✭✭Johnny Storm

stanley1 wrote:
    C4 was a premium and ground breaking channel when it started but now its full of garbage, big brother etc.
    100% agree.

The C4 news @ 7pm is quite good though. Not tabloidy and but also not afraid to be controversial.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 246 ✭✭bishop brennan

stanley1 wrote:

But it does have Deal or No Deal in the afternoon:o

• Registered Users Posts: 1,192 ✭✭✭norbert64

haha, she's copy protected. :D

oh wells, it's still good to have her :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,108 ✭✭✭mjsmyth

"C4 was a premium and ground breaking channel when it started but now its full of garbage, big brother etc."

Yeah, Groundbreaking, thats what those red triangle movies were :)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Red_triangle

mj

• Registered Users Posts: 12,429 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

Ah Bad cess to them c4 boys, thought it would be FTA, ah well!
    Have had the channel on terrestrial for ages, gone down hill lately but odd few good programmes every now and then but definitelynot worth all the hype!
    Much prefer the arrival of FIVE US to be honest.

You do know that 5US can currently be found FTA....

12422.00 H - DVB-S - QPSK - 27500 2/3 - NID: 2 - TID: 2037

It does not appear as 5 US, but as some numbers. It is also marked as a pay channel, but can be viewed on a non sky sat. receiver.

mj

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,416 ✭✭✭doh.ie

I'd be very surprised if Channel 4 did the RTE NI-style "This programme is not available" for certain imported or rights-issue programmes - after all, the age-old argument that the channel is widely available via NTL, Chorus, terrestrial overspill means that there is little or no point in blocking out any of its material which would upset otherholders (RTE, TV3) here - in any event, as other posters have pointed out - those same programmes do have full ROI satellite rights on More4/E4 anyway.

To block programmes or make the channel's availability appear unstable would demean its inclusion in the first place.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,409 ✭✭✭Dr. Nick

mjsmyth wrote:

It does not appear as 5 US, but as some numbers. It is also marked as a pay channel, but can be viewed on a non sky sat. receiver.

mj

What's 5 US?

5US is a digital channel from 5 in the UK. It, as its name suggests, shows American programs. Lots of CSI and Pimp My Ride...

mj

• Registered Users Posts: 12,429 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

mjsmyth wrote:

mj

Sorry MJ, already have it but meant it was very welcome to get it and hope it lasts. Find I watch it a fair bit. Thanks for info all the same!

TheDriver wrote:
    Ah Bad cess to them c4 boys, thought it would be FTA, ah well!
    Have had the channel on terrestrial for ages, gone down hill lately but odd few good programmes every now and then but definitelynot worth all the hype!
    Much prefer the arrival of FIVE US to be honest.

C4 May be FTA from 2008. They can't till then.

It's likley any rights issues will be sorted and no programms will be blocked.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,409 ✭✭✭Dr. Nick

OK, Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,878 ✭✭✭JDxtra

Also, C4 is on the EPG - but not available on an Irish corporate (or pub) subscription.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭danielle

At 10 pm advertised programme 'Without a Trace' not available to ROI viewers
    so it appears there are some copywrite issues so will it mean that we have a blank screen @ 10 tonite?:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

Where did you hear this? I don't think there is a Ch4 Ireland, so to speak, and our signal is just overspill from the North, so it would be interesting to see how that would work. On terrestrial televsion, that is.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,327 ✭✭✭✭Tony

obviously the Op is referring to the satellite service as this is a satellite forum.

Desktop PC Boards discount code on https://www.satellite.ie/ is boards.ie

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,327 ✭✭✭✭Tony

jdempsey wrote:
    Also, C4 is on the EPG - but not available on an Irish corporate (or pub) subscription.

Maybe "at the races" would object to ch4 racing being shown in pubs?

Desktop PC Boards discount code on https://www.satellite.ie/ is boards.ie

Advertisement