Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Photos: Hardware

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 649 ✭✭✭steyrman2

Ziggieire wrote: »
    My new 300 win mag have not fired it yat cannot wait,
    ammo .22lr, .223, .300winmag
    IMGA0106.jpg

Hi what the spec please i also use the .300 winmag very happy with it so far

• Registered Users Posts: 397 ✭✭Ziggieire

steyrman2 wrote: »
    Hi what the spec please i also use the .300 winmag very happy with it so far

26 inch barrel
    1 in 10 twist
    Burris Blackdiamond scope
    Wrane 20 moa rail

the only ammo i have is lapua 185g, i would prefer 150g will get some next time.
    i picked it up today friday but it was dark when i came home so i will go zero it saterday at 200m

• Registered Users Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

Why 150s? They're going to be pretty smashy at 300 mag velocities I reckon. I wouldn't want to pull the trigger on anything I wanted to eat much under 250 yards or so with one anyway! I'd shoot a good 180 all day every day in a 300 mag.

Why 150s? They're going to be pretty smashy at 300 mag velocities I reckon. I wouldn't want to pull the trigger on anything I wanted to eat much under 250 yards or so with one anyway! I'd shoot a good 180 all day every day in a 300 mag.

thanks for the info, i normaly shoot .223 55g or .22, i will lern a lot about the 30cal rounds

Ziggieire wrote: »
    thanks for the info, i normaly shoot .223 55g or .22, i will lern a lot about the 30cal rounds

It's kinda the beauty of it for me. If you can handle the recoil, there are very few situations you'll have the wrong gun with a .300 magnum of any variety and a quality 180gr bullet. No need to go up or down really. If you were shooting deer and thin-skinned game consistently at long range, then a 150 or a 165 would be great, as they have lighter jackets than 180+ weights, typically, and open much more aggressively, so are quick killers at long range. If you were setting out so shoot a particularly large animal, like a moose or the likes of eland or other large antelope, then a heavier 200gr bullet is going to be even more heavily constructed again, but for all the above, plus animals at close ranges, long ones, everything in between, a 180gr bullet in a quality construction will seriously impact their day.

• Advertisement

It's kinda the beauty of it for me. If you can handle the recoil, there are very few situations you'll have the wrong gun with a .300 magnum of any variety and a quality 180gr bullet. No need to go up or down really. If you were shooting deer and thin-skinned game consistently at long range, then a 150 or a 165 would be great, as they have lighter jackets than 180+ weights, typically, and open much more aggressively, so are quick killers at long range. If you were setting out so shoot a particularly large animal, like a moose or the likes of eland or other large antelope, then a heavier 200gr bullet is going to be even more heavily constructed again, but for all the above, plus animals at close ranges, long ones, everything in between, a 180gr bullet in a quality construction will seriously impact their day.

is your 300 a 1 in 10 as well. do you find it prefers any brand of ammo ?

Don't have one myself at the moment, but I keep getting invites to Africa these days, so I reckon I'll have a .300 mag of some sort built, either Winchester or Weatherby most likely. It will however be a 1:10" twist, I suspect.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 793 ✭✭✭declan1980

Don't have one myself at the moment...

If you haven't got one, and therefore aren't using one on any kind of game either thick or thin skinned, then why are you commenting on or giving advice to someone about this particular caliber. All you're doing is regurgitating information you've read. That's like reading the operating manual of crane and saying you can drive it.
    I know of someone who bought a 300winmag on your recommendation because you said the recoil wasn't bad, and he ended up hating the fecking thing

declan1980 wrote: »
    If you haven't got one, and therefore aren't using one on any kind of game either thick or thin skinned, then why are you commenting on or giving advice to someone about this particular caliber. All you're doing is regurgitating information you've read. That's like reading the operating manual of crane and saying you can drive it.
    I know of someone who bought a 300winmag on your recommendation because you said the recoil wasn't bad, and he ended up hating the fecking thing

I have shot one, several in fact, including some relatively light ones, and I don't personally find the recoil bad, and I'll stand by that. It's certainly less than a typical game weight shotgun shooting 32gr loads, and .300 magnums are something I've got a lot of information on, because I intend to acquire one over the next while. If you think passing on information acquired elsewhere and put together isn't worthwhile, then that's your opinion, but the other way to find out things is to jump blindly into them and then find out. That's not the smartest thing in the world. Research works. I don't personally have to have lightweight bullets blow up on animal shoulders to conclude that I'd rather stick with the heavier ones. Other people have gone through that particular nastiness so I don't have to. Couple of friends of mine hunt extensively with .300 mags, so I'm pretty familiar with what they do. Apologies if the fact that my own safe doesn't currently contain one offends you.

• Subscribers Posts: 4,075 ✭✭✭IRLConor

I don't personally find the recoil bad

In fairness, you have a much higher tolerance for recoil than many people. When I hear you say "I don't personally find the recoil bad" I think of this:

3rmipl.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 793 ✭✭✭declan1980

I have shot one, several in fact, including some relatively light ones, and I don't personally find the recoil bad, and I'll stand by that. It's certainly less than a typical game weight shotgun shooting 32gr loads, and .300 magnums are something I've got a lot of information on, because I intend to acquire one over the next while. If you think passing on information acquired elsewhere and put together isn't worthwhile, then that's your opinion, but the other way to find out things is to jump blindly into them and then find out. That's not the smartest thing in the world. Research works. I don't personally have to have lightweight bullets blow up on animal shoulders to conclude that I'd rather stick with the heavier ones. Other people have gone through that particular nastiness so I don't have to. Couple of friends of mine hunt extensively with .300 mags, so I'm pretty familiar with what they do. Apologies if the fact that my own safe doesn't currently contain one offends you.
    Where have you shot these rifles?
    The OP didn't mention about shooting in Africa, so I'm not going to comment on that. But I will ask you what bullet type you're talking about that will blow up on animals shoulders. I doubt a hornady 150gr interbond will blow up on an animals shoulder. If you're worries about meat damage then you shouldn't be using a caliber like this.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,772 ✭✭✭meathstevie

declan1980 wrote: »
    Where have you shot these rifles?
    The OP didn't mention about shooting in Africa, so I'm not going to comment on that. But I will ask you what bullet type you're talking about that will blow up on animals shoulders. I doubt a hornady 150gr interbond will blow up on an animals shoulder. If you're worries about meat damage then you shouldn't be using a caliber like this.

Carcass damage will depend on what the bullet hits on the way through, size and caliber being proportionate it's as easy to destroy or cleanly shoot a rabbit with a .17hmr as it is to do the same with a .30 centerfire and a sizeable red deer.

Impacting on a fairly substantial bone like the bones in the upper part of the shoulder could cause a serious mess. I've personally seen a shoulder ( on the exit side of the trajectory ) practically ripped of a roe deer my dad shot with a .300 win mag years ago. On the other hand if the bullet slices neatly between two ribs, expands through the lungs and exits through the ribs again it's going to be nearly like shooting a bloc of gelatine but leaving a big amount of blood and severly damaged tissue in the chest cavity with hardly any meat damage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭4gun

My new Winnie top eject 30-30 aka the cowboy assault rifle :D
    My first day out with it to day and all I saw is a bloody red :(
    The large loop lever comes in handy for one hand loading, John Wayne style

2012-11-09220802-1.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,805 ✭✭✭juice1304

Very nice, what year is she? The furniture is nice.
    What load are you using prvi?
    I call mine my Appalachian assault rifle:D:D

juice1304 wrote: »
    Very nice, what year is she? The furniture is nice.
    What load are you using prvi?
    I call mine my application assault rifle:D:D

Its an '83 model so top eject
    I have both Remington 150gr corelokt and 160gr hornady leverelution both do very well out of it

there is a little bit of history to this gun that I wont say on open forum
    but it is more or less unfired and in almost new condition (some very minor scuffes on the timber

It's very nice,
    I don't like the remington core lock myself i have a couple of boxes of 150's and a box 170's and their oal in all the boxes i have are all over the place and they are inconsistent imo. I have some of the hornady stuff too have'nt tried it yet as I have it zeroed in with some 150gr prvi partizan, I'll try them out once I finish this box. They are very good rounds by the way very consistent and hard hitting.:)

I wil npt be putting a scope on itfor the foreseeable future
    I may put a red dot sight on it depending on how successful I am with open sights

A red dot is a good choice I have an Aimpoint H34s on mine and it great. Just get one with a small moa dot my one is a 2moa and it's great but i would'nt like it any bigger.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 308 ✭✭tonytoc11

My grand father's old single barrel Harrington & Richardson. A lovely gun.

2012-11-04183118.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 442 ✭✭doyle61

my custom 308.
    dsc0168us.jpg
    dsc0171o.jpg
    dsc0172j.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,479 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

So i got to pick up the rifle early. Got the license on Monday, and was planning to head down Friday, but got a chance to go tonight.

It's an RPA Quadlite in .243 caliber. The rifle is built by RPA using the Quadlite action. The barrel is a border barrel (afaik), the stock is from Robertson. It has a Sightron SIII SS 3.5-10 scope with duplex reticle, Nightforce rings, and a two piece picatinny bases. Has a harris 6-9 swivel bipod, all topped of with a Jet-Z compact mod.

All in all i'm delighted with the rifle, how it fits, and feels. Now all i need to do is zero, check ammo, and get shooting.

Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

lovely piece of equipment, has it improved your shooting any bit :P

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,479 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

Haven't shot it yet, but i doubt it.:o

At least it'll look nice when i miss.:D
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

Remington 700 sps .300 Winchester Magnum
    Burris Blackdiamond ballistic milldot
    20 moa wrane rail
    Burris xtreme 30 mm rings

Howa 1500 .223
    Thumbhole laminate stock
    wildcat predator 30cal magnum with spare .22 insert
    zos milldot

Ruger 10/22
    Boyds ss evolution stock
    pikatinny rail
    accurised bolt
    hawke sports hd milldot
    parker hayle mod

My babies
    3.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭tommyboy26

nice set-up!!!

just a quick question what is an accurised bolt on the 10/22?

tommyboy26 wrote: »
    nice set-up!!!

just a quick question what is an accurised bolt on the 10/22?

the fireing pin is pinned down. the back edge os the bolt is rounded off and i think the head space is changed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,147 ✭✭✭dev110

Here is my CZ 452 Style in .22lr that I picked up from Dave Mulvihill yesterday evening.
    I have a Bushnell Banner 6-18 x 50 mounted with Hawke mounts.
    She is shooting very well so far.

IMAG0259.jpg
    IMAG0260.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭beretta686s

Try again

• Registered Users Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭johnk123

Have never posted in this thread before, but had my 3 out of the safe over the weekend and said I'd snap some pics for this thread.

From top to bottom, Krico .22, Beretta Silver pigeon III and a Bettinsoli Diamond Deluxe O/U.

Krico was my fathers, but I took it a licensed it as my first .22 when it became surplus to requirements to him. He got offered very little money for it years ago and thus, here we are today. I wouldn't fault it, great little rifle that started my interest in them. As with any .22, very cheap to run and rarely misses a beat. Having some delivery issues at the moment, but I think it's down to the mag reaching past it's sell by date!! Currently about to pull the trigger (excuse the pun!!) on my first .223 very soon but I will hang on the this for the rabbits and all round affordability to run.

Bettinsoli- A great gun that I have no complaints whatsoever about. It's a 28" over and under with multichoke options, ejectors etc etc. Really nice detailing, and lovely stock. I would not hesitate to recommend this to anyone as a first gun as I think it's an investment worth hanging onto. Not overly expensive either and well inside the first time buyers price range, if that makes sense!

Finally, the Beretta. I've always gotten on really well with Beretta's. Mine has 30" barrels, multichoke, ejector etc etc etc as per any silver pigeon. My father has always had a Beretta and I guess maybe that's what started me wanting to save up for one. A great gun that will hopefully last me a lifetime....

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,147 ✭✭✭dev110

Got a new phone and wanted to test out the camera and the only way I could think of was to take a pic of my collection so far.
    Looking into getting a .243 this year to fill the gap from .22 to .308
    1. FTR Rig
      • Remington Action (Blue Printed)
      • 31" Trueflite Bull Barrel 1-10 Twist
      • Sightron 10-50x60 FCH
      • PSE E-Tac Stock
      • Jewell Trigger
      • Sinclair Bipod
    2. CZ 452 Style .22
      • 20" Barrel
      • Bushnell Banner 6-18x50
      • Harris Bipod