Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

800 Euro for a month ?!?!?!

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭Rb

TheGooner wrote:
    Your words not mine....

Let me direct you back to
    rb_ie wrote:
    I was working my arse off until fairly recently

Either read the whole thread and posts included, especially mine if you want to attack me, or don't bother posting at all.

Kthx

• Registered Users Posts: 1,882 ✭✭✭fozzle

rb_ie wrote:
    You don't say?!

Ffs, I made that comment about how much the maximum I had spent on a night out was, and every idiot in this thread has jumped down my throat for it, and concentrated solely on it whilst we've brought other points in. I splashed out, I was certainly in the financial position at the time to do so.
    Of course those prices are extortionate, I think thats fairly clear. I chose to pay them a few times.

My occasional extremely expensive nights are not the topic of this thread.
    I don't know why I've felt I had to explain myself to you lot, I normally wouldn't have bothered but anyway the threads about nights out in general and the overall costs associated with it, get it back on topic.

Well we wouldn't have known about your occasional expensive nights out except you posted about them while complaining about how expensive nights out in general are. So how much is too much to spend? And since I'm now mightily confused by your contradictions, just who is paying for your E100 nights out? You or your parents? Cos if it's them and they're happy to pay it and you're happy to spend it, then why are you complaining? And if it's you paying then GO SOMEWHERE CHEAPER AND DRINK LESS!!! You're not goingto catch some kind of hideous social disease by going somewhere that charges less than a tenner a pint you know.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,408 ✭✭✭Huggles

rb_ie wrote:
    Let me direct you back to

Either read the whole thread and posts included, especially mine if you want to attack me, or don't bother posting at all.

Kthx

The first quote was your first point to back up spending that amount of money, and since then you have back tracked considerably and that is the second quote....now why is that.

FYI I have been following this thread from the start and on more than one occasion youve been downright rude and ignorant to people on here. I let it go and reached boiling point with your little gem above "not my fault your poor"...

I apologise for calling you a spoilt brat but what do you expect when you come on here saying ****e like that? You know my opinion and I am leaving it there.

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭destraynor

You can have a cheap night in town if you have 6 cans of beer before leaving home. Get a bus in, have 5-6 drinks in a free admission club/pub, and nightlink home.

6 cans of Tuborg 7.00
    Bus in 2.00
    6 x club drinks 30.00
    NightLink Home 6.00 (or share a taxi)
    Subway Sandwich 3.00 (deal of the day)

Total: 48 quid.

I went through college like that, spending maybe 70-80 quid a week going out, 50 on the big nights, 15 on the small ones. Keep an eye out for 3 euro drink nights, Fibbers do one on Thursdays for starters.

fozzle wrote:
    Well we wouldn't have known about your occasional expensive nights out except you posted about them while complaining about how expensive nights out in general are.

My point for posting it was to show how expensive a night out could be.
    I still stick to what I said about nights out in general being expensive though, i.e going to average clubs in Dublin on the weekends and the costs associated with it.
    They are expensive. The price of a pint in Dublin City Centre is a rip, no matter where you're going you're still going to be charged a lot more than in bars in other European cities (excluding a few). Same with transport, taxi drivers are ripping us off left right and center. Food included, perhaps cigarettes too.
    On an average night, unless you're really trying to pinch the pennies you're going to spend quite a lot compared to what you'd spend on the same products/services in other cities.
    fozzle wrote:
    So how much is too much to spend?

It really depends on the person, their financial situation etc. Personally, at the moment I wouldn't go over €120 maybe. However, when I'm working again, that'll change again, as I'll have cash coming in with little going out, so will be more flexible in how much I spend.
    That said, on an average night out I wouldn't plan on spending over €150 (everything included). It really depends, some nights can start out cheap enough but escalate and you end up spending more than you thought you would. Like petes, I'd always have some extra cash with me and if I'm enjoying the night I'll have no problem spending it.
    There really are a lot of factors to take into consideration.

The nights out in question were rare and special nights out, they're not the type I'm having every weekend. It would be ridiculous to paying that much every night you go out, absolutely ridiculous.
    fozzle wrote:
    And since I'm now mightily confused by your contradictions, just who is paying for your E100 nights out? You or your parents? Cos if it's them and they're happy to pay it and you're happy to spend it, then why are you complaining?
    At the moment, the majority of my spending cash for nights out is funded by my parents. Like I already said in the thread though, I'll use my credit card which I'll then organise the money myself later in the month to pay off.

Surely the complaint has already been established in this thread.
    fozzle wrote:
    You're not goingto catch some kind of hideous social disease by going somewhere that charges less than a tenner a pint you know.

As I've already asked many posters to do in this thread, I'll also ask you;
    Please read the thread properly. I SAID I RARELY GO TO THESE PLACES AND PRIMARILY GO TO THE NORMAL CLUBS IN TOWN I.E 21, QBAR, DANDELION ETC. and they'd charge a faily average prices for bars/clubs in the city centre.
    TheGooner wrote:
    I let it go and reached boiling point with your little gem above "not my fault your poor"...

That was directed at Fighting Irish alone.
    TheGooner wrote:
    I apologise for calling you a spoilt brat but what do you expect when you come on here saying ****e like that?

Apology accepted!

Oh and no more questions about the nights out that have already been explained quite a few times in this thread, thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,915 Mod ✭✭✭✭iguana

rb_ie wrote:
    Don't hate me 'cause you're poor, it's not my fault.

Ok, I consider myself relatively wealthy and there is no way I'd spend €12 on 1 shot and mixer.

I have to say I definitely spent less when I was younger. I would often manage a night out for around IR£2.50, and it was only around 7 years ago. Meet friends around 11, walk to club before mid-night for free entry. 50p to put bag stuffed with coat in the cloakroom, downstairs to dance in low-cut tops and be bought drinks by men. Abra after the club where the manager used to give us what ever we wanted for 20p and then we'd share a cab home.

I rarely go to a club anymore I just can't be bothered on a regular basis, nothing to do with money though. I prefer to go for a nice meal, which would be between Stg£20-50 a head including drinks. Strangely I was out with a friend who's in her forties last weekend and she was happy to stay in the loud, squashed, standing-room only pub while I wanted to go somewhere we could sit and hear each other. I'm only 27.

iguana wrote:
    Ok, I consider myself relatively wealthy and there is no way I'd spend €12 on 1 shot and mixer.

Ignore that comment. Jesus, if I'd known there'd be such a reaction to it I'd of just pm'd him it. The comment had a purpose and was not aimed at anyone else.
    iguana wrote:
    downstairs to dance in low-cut tops and be bought drinks by men.

Well for some!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,195 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

iguana wrote:

downstairs to dance in low-cut tops and be bought drinks by men.

I'm tempted to try this the other way around but for some reason I think the ladies would be rather horrified to see me wandering around in a revealing top.

And the Gardai probably wouldn't be too pleased either.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,861 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

rb_ie wrote:

Ah man that's a good comment. And you had the cheek to call me ignorant in an earlier post? Quite the case of 'pot' and kettle'.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,396 ✭✭✭✭Karoma

Oh shut up, you little bitches. Stay on topic(ish) and post relevant tripe; do not personally abuse each other.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,915 Mod ✭✭✭✭iguana

rb_ie wrote:
    Well for some!

Don't hate me 'cause you're boob-less, it's not my fault.:D

Xavi6 wrote:
    Ah man that's a good comment. And you had the cheek to call me ignorant in an earlier post? Quite the case of 'pot' and kettle'.

That comment had nothing to do with you. It wasn't even a serious comment, I'm sure at least someone knew what I was attempting to do there, though I fear it went over the heads of many.

Regardless, again you've came out of the shadows picking out lines from my posts and attempting to attack me, without even contributing to the topic once. So I'd ask you to either post something that contributes to the thread topic, or stfu and keep your petty little half-hearted attacks to yourself.

kthnx!
    iguana wrote:
    Don't hate me 'cause you're boob-less, it's not my fault.

I see what you did there, very clever :D

On-topic: Things are expensive indeed.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,162 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

rb_ie wrote:

On-topic: Things are expensive indeed.

But not TOO expensive...!

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,016 ✭✭✭Blush_01

10e on food?!

Hehe... Kebab and chips, Zaytoon. All of those estimates were upper limit anyway. For some reason I usually end up getting something for someone else when I'm in there too, definitely €10 for both of us. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,123 ✭✭✭stepbar

Dudes dont know what ye are bitching about 50 eur is not a lot to be spending on a nite out. People work etc and whats the harm in winding down once in the week? Its not a big deal TBH. Anyhow If you think Dublin is expensive try London. Im just back from it and the beer is shockingly expensive, 3 sterling for a Guinness :eek: ... and the normal beers i.e miller, heineken, carsberg etc are not available in most of the pubs. The chippers are bad value too, 5 sterling for a burger and a bag of chips :eek: So TBH Dublin is a grand place for the craic and it wont kill any "normal" drinker (i.e 6 pints or less) in the pocket

• Closed Accounts Posts: 310 ✭✭maxi-twist

I agree with rb_ie.College night is a wednesday and i have training on a wednesday,so normally id be late out with them aka meet them in a club.

Depends on where we go (normally rios) but when i get in there,fairly late,everyone else is already hammered.

This causes me to want to get hammered rather fast,consider it immature,i dont really care.Your only young once.

Thus i end up getting about 12/14 jagerbombs (mmmmm)
    Since its 2 for 10 euro,thats 60/70 quid.
    Then a few pints on top say 2-4.thats 10-20.
    I always have a good night when i go out.

Then its back to abra where garlic cheese chips are 5 yos.

And since i dont have the liberty o living remotely close to the city center, my taxi home's about 20/30 depending on where i go.

Thats what 100 yos + per night.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,819 ✭✭✭Alkers

maxi-twist wrote:
    I agree with rb_ie.College night is a wednesday and i have training on a wednesday,so normally id be late out with them aka meet them in a club.

Depends on where we go (normally rios) but when i get in there,fairly late,everyone else is already hammered.

This causes me to want to get hammered rather fast,consider it immature,i dont really care.Your only young once.

Thus i end up getting about 12/14 jagerbombs (mmmmm)
    Since its 2 for 10 euro,thats 60/70 quid.
    Then a few pints on top say 2-4.thats 10-20.
    I always have a good night when i go out.

Then its back to abra where garlic cheese chips are 5 yos.

And since i dont have the liberty o living remotely close to the city center, my taxi home's about 20/30 depending on where i go.

Thats what 100 yos + per night.
    Why not just buy a bottle of jagermeister and some cheap redbull and drink some or all of that on your way into town. Then stash it somewhere and use it you keep you company on your way home ;)

Thats a good idea,however jagermeister was 35 the last time i checked,and the cheapest red bul thing is kick i think(from tesco) which is about a euro.

I suppose 42 is better than 60 tho!

But still,it'd take me at least an hour to polish of a bottle of jaeger,and thats time i dont have!

You can get a bottle of Boost for €1something or other and that's 2 redbull cans - good for a good amount of jaeger. It's what I use for a shoulder of vodka. You can drink on your way into town or whatever, even drink half the bottle and keep the other half for the next week. I'm not telling you how to spend your money, just trying to show you that there's no need in spending that much week in week out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,794 ✭✭✭JC 2K3

maxi-twist wrote:
    Thats a good idea,however jagermeister was 35 the last time i checked,and the cheapest red bul thing is kick i think(from tesco) which is about a euro.
    Tesco Kick is 89c for a whole litre, that's 4 250ml cans. I'd never buy Red Bull, Kick all the way!!!

Anyway,
    I've just read the whole thread and this is what struck me:

Firstly, to Heyes: You say you can't be spending so much on nights out but don't seem to want to be making ANY changes to your lifestyle. If you must go to clubs with entrance fees of €20 then don't do it every week, drink less some nights etc.

rb_ie: You've received far too much undue criticism in this thread. It's your money, you can do what you like with it. However, you give off a slight impression of enjoying the fact that you have a lot of disposable income and can afford to be spending such extortionate sums on nights out while others can't, going to exclusive, expensive places that others can't afford to go to etc. While I'm not going to criticise you for doing what you enjoy I'd advise you to keep in mind that money != happiness.

The opposition to spending loads: Advise them not to spend as much, if they don't take your advice don't start a ****ing flame war over it. Call them stupid for doing it if you must, but there've been people boardering on saying it's morally wrong, ffs, it's their money....

• Advertisement

Simona1986 wrote:
    You can get a bottle of Boost for €1something or other and that's 2 redbull cans - good for a good amount of jaeger. It's what I use for a shoulder of vodka. You can drink on your way into town or whatever, even drink half the bottle and keep the other half for the next week. I'm not telling you how to spend your money, just trying to show you that there's no need in spending that much week in week out.

Interesting strategy,i wonder will it pay off.Cant do it this wed cos im goin to a debs and need to conserve my money (the 4 seasons 7 euro pints- now THAT is a rip off).
    Ill do it next wednesday and then ill let u know how i get on!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,065 ✭✭✭Fighting Irish

rb_ie wrote:

I can afford pretty much anything i need at the moment, i just think €270 on a night out is stupid

• Registered Users Posts: 7,065 ✭✭✭Fighting Irish

rb_ie wrote:
    Yes, thats why I was working my arse off until fairly recently to pay for everything I needed, without support from my parents. Get your facts straight or stfu.

Oh and my point in behind that comment was basically that if he's make assumptions and statements about me, I'll do the same for him. Though, it is Fighting Irish, someone whos not exactly known for his intelligence.

I am intelligent enough not to spend 270 on a night out :D

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,231 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

If a girl and dressed to kill, you can often get in free.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,309 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

JC 2K3 wrote:

rb_ie: You've received far too much undue criticism in this thread. It's your money, you can do what you like with it. However, you give off a slight impression of enjoying the fact that you have a lot of disposable income and can afford to be spending such extortionate sums on nights out while others can't, going to exclusive, expensive places that others can't afford to go to etc. While I'm not going to criticise you for doing what you enjoy I'd advise you to keep in mind that money != happiness.

The opposition to spending loads: Advise them not to spend as much, if they don't take your advice don't start a ****ing flame war over it. Call them stupid for doing it if you must, but there've been people boardering on saying it's morally wrong, ffs, it's their money....
    The reason people are going on at rb_ie is that it ISN'T his money, it's his parents'... who seem happy enough to fork it over whenever he wants a lapdance :eek: :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭Zambia

If you spend 200 a night now you will always spend that much its a lot to do with your mates and where you go ...

Going out is expensive there is no law saying its meant to be cheap. Its a gamble you can go out and spend £30 and have a great night and two weeks later spend £90 and have a crap one. If your gonna go out and obsess about how much your spending .....stay home.

Be resigned to the fact its gonna cost you.

Plus your folks should not be funding this stuff, get a job. No decent bloke should be hitting his ma and da to get funds after the age of 18 to go drinking. If you earn it you may have more respect for where it gos. Best keep your parents flush as later in life you will be hitting them for a house desposit.

bluewolf wrote:
    The reason people are going on at rb_ie is that it ISN'T his money, it's his parents'... who seem happy enough to fork it over whenever he wants a lapdance :eek: :D
    I'm not even going to bother responding to that.
    bluewolf wrote:
    As for the music, the music in the places I go to is almost always better than the overpriced clubs my best friends go to
    In your opinion. What you think is good music, I might think is absolute muck.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,262 ✭✭✭✭jester77

I sure don't miss the Irish prices :D

I'd be legless if I spent over €50 on a night out here.

I have a public transport ticket for work so that covers me to get around!
    Drinks are between €2.50 and €3.50 depending on where you go.
    Pubs opened all night, no need for a club unless I'm up for music & dancing!
    Tasty kebab afterwards - €2.50.

So 12 beers and a kebab would cost between €40-44.50 and I'm well merry on the way home :D

jester77 wrote:
    I sure don't miss the Irish prices :D

I'd be legless if I spent over €50 on a night out here.

I have a public transport ticket for work so that covers me to get around!
    Drinks are between €2.50 and €3.50 depending on where you go.
    Pubs opened all night, no need for a club unless I'm up for music & dancing!
    Tasty kebab afterwards - €2.50.

So 12 beers and a kebab would cost between €40-44.50 and I'm well merry on the way home :D
    + the whole drinking on the street and being able to buy beer anywhere!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,309 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

rb_ie wrote:

In your opinion. What you think is good music, I might think is absolute muck.
    Give the dj 50 euro next time you're out, then it's guaranteed to be good music... right? :rolleyes:

Advertisement