Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

800 Euro for a month ?!?!?!

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,238 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

I've had great nights for under a tenner. I don't drink, which is an advantage, but still, just hitting the pub around 9, heading down to the late night bar around 1 and strolling home around 2:30 (hitting the chipper for a quarter with cheese on the way :cool: ) can come to considerably under 15-20 euro, and really not much more for my friends who do drink (they swear by 3 euro Bavaria ;)).
    I think it's Dublin that tends to be expensive on the whole. Living in Bray, me and my friends tend to stay local - turns out much cheaper, and much less hassle getting home at night.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭lodgepole

Bavaria and Tennants are both muck though. So is the peviously mentioned €6 Heineken though so I suppose it's a fair comment... And to be honest i've gone well past the point where I can tolerate sneaking a naggin into a pub and worryig about where i'm going to pour it. That was fine when I as a student, but not now. I agree whole heartedly with the pre-drinking though, it cuts down the price of a night massively.

I'd never pay more than €10 into a venue (unless it was somebody's birthday and thus their choice) and I certainly wouldn't pay six euros for a pint of beer (of any brand, be it premium or otherwise).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭Rb

(hitting the chipper for a quarter with cheese on the way :cool: )

Theres nothing "cool" about cholesterol Johnny, nothing "cool" at all...

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,238 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

rb_ie wrote:

Anything that is not good for you is automatically cool, duh ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 635 ✭✭✭Gautama

TheGooner wrote:
    Yes! As I found out this Summer. The pound goes a helluva long way over there. We're robbed blind here, pure and simple.
    I have to disagree with this. When you are spending Sterling you are spending.
    I've heard people say the pints in Liverpool/Edinburgh are cheap, "only £2.70". So you are paying €4 for a pint? Hardly "cheap".
    And if you are drinking to get loct, work this out, I'll let you do the maths yourself. I'll take Heineken as an example: costs €4.50 in Dublin, and is 4.3%. Costs £2.70 in the UK and is 3.4%.

Basically, the pints a cheaper but the alcohol is more expensive. Consider drinking Stella if you are in the UK. 5.2% there as well as here. The old wifebeater!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,563 ✭✭✭connundrum

A touchy subject as always with the 'Drinking is for losers' gang fighting it out with the 'Drinking ftw' gang... can't we please just get along? :o

/runs. hides

I don't really place a value on a good night out, as in I know that if I spend 100-150 on a night, it might be great but there is a good chance that it might be crap and a waste of money.

I have gone out and spent the night in a friends house which would lead me to spend 1.50 on a bus, no cover charge, no cloakroom charge, 21 euro on 3 euro a beer, and 3 euro on a shared taxi home... oh and 3 euro the next morning for the brekky roll :D

Lemme see.. that equals 27.50 for a great night.

Like wise I remember having a good week at work, and going out on a bank holiday Sunday and spending 5 euro on the taxi, 15 euro entrance fee, 3 euro cloakroom, 12 x 5 euro drinks, 30 euro for a crap Chinese and 15 euro taxi home (on my ownio).

Lemme see.. that equals 128 for a crap night.

If you don't want to spend that much then don't spend that much, but if you do wanna drink that much without the expense then go down the country. I priced the same round in QBar and in a Disco Bar in Laois... for 12 drinks there was roughly 40 euro in the difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 856 ✭✭✭andrew163

Me being a student bum usually ends up in fibbers on a Thursday more then anywhere else because its damn cheap and good craic.. Letsh see..

Train in - included in monthly train ticket but public transport works out at about €1.15 per journey per month for me.

Entry - €5

Cloakroom - €1

Drink (€3 drinks ftw) - €9 to €15 usually... I don't drink much in comparison to a lot of people.

Nitelink home €4

so.. usually works out at about €20 to €26 for a decent night out. :)

Four times a month averages abhoot €90-ish, plus any other times I go out (tend to go out less on Saturdays/etc since I stopped working full time).

Can be a good bit more expensive on Saturdays/other nights depending on destination, but usually never in the hundreds like some people here are saying :confused: I avoid clubs at all costs though (the idea just doesn't appeal to me.. as well as them being damn pricey) so maybe that's something to do with it.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 2,432 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peteee

5 X €3 for pints down the local!

You can keep your night clubs and what not...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

€3 for a pint :eek: where are these wonderous places?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭Rabies

Up until last week it wasn't costing me much to go out.
    My house was a 5 min walk from the middle of town.

Meet up with friends about 9:30 as usual. Have about 5-6 pints.
    If we knew a friend was working behind the bar in the club we would go.
    E10 entrance fee. Alcohol would be free. E1.50 to hand in our jacket.
    At the end of the night get some food, E5.

Cheap night :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,890 ✭✭✭embee

Aah, the joys of not living in Dublin anymore :)

I go out probably once a month.. it costs feck all.

Me and my sister will get a lift to Dundalk from our Dad. We purposely go out late-ish and have a few drinks at home instead of going to the pub, then on to a club. Then, entrance fee in, then - hallelujah!- two of the clubs in Dundalk are in a sort of price war, so its €2 a drink :D Taxi home divided by two.

Drinks @ home - free (raid drinks cabinet \o/)
    Entrance - €10
    Drinks X 6 = €12
    Taxi - €15

So - 37 quid for a night out. Not bad at all!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,472 ✭✭✭AdMMM

Thankfully I live very close to town, so I simply walk in and out thus cutting costs dramatically.

Usually I head to the pub first and stock up on €3 pints of Fosters before heading to Rubys', Waterford's premiere night venue. If I'm not wearing a coat then I can usually walk straight in and use the excuse that I had just popped down for a fag (even though I don't smoke), otherwise I grudgingly hand over the €10 + €2 for cloakroom and only need a drink or two inside.

At the end of the night there's the customary trip/stumble across the road for a quarter pounder with chips and I use them to keep me warm when walking home.

With a bit of luck, the night should cost no more than €30, but I think we've all had those nights where you empty your wallet of everything you've earned!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,065 ✭✭✭Fighting Irish

rb_ie wrote:
    Don't be daft, €20 will get you nothing. Maybe your entrance fee and taxis there and back. If you don't get taxis, then you're spending at least €10 on the entrance, €4 on your nightlink and whatever on your bus there. Use the cloakroom?Thats another €2. You're left with nothing.

Oh and my parents aren't giving me €270 to spend on a night out, don't be ridiculous, I said that was the record. Maybe I should of added it was when I was working and paying for it myself. Generally they'll give me ~€90 and I'll stick another €20/30, sometimes but not often more, onto my credit card and let my overdraft handle the minimum monthly payments (bad, I know, but will be sorted when I'm working again) or ensure I have cash when the time comes.

Those few nights that have cost me €200+ were rare, it usually started in a bar after work. Usually cocoon and anyone who goes there knows the price of the drinks, or Cafe En Seine, or any other bar in the city centre really. They're all expensive, some more so than others but still going to cost you regardless. if I'm having a good time or have a good bit of cash at the time I certainly don't mind paying it really, but again, RARE. Then onto a club, sometimes lillies which is €20 in and again more quite highly priced drink, sometimes other clubs and usually followed by a trip to bucks after...easily burn through quite a lot of cash on a night like that but since they're a: rare, b: I was enjoying myself/could foresee myself enjoying the rest of the night and c: had a hefty bank balance at the time, I didn't mind that it cost.

Impossible, or else you get drunk and buy other people drinks

Impossible, or else you get drunk and buy other people drinks
    Are you joking? If not then you clearly have never been into such places as Cocoon, Lillies Bordello, to a lesser extent AKA, Cafe En Seine etc. You can easily burn through extreme amounts of money in these places.
    A double vodka and redbull is €18 in Cocoon, €6 for a bottle of Heineken (they've only stella on tap) or any other bottle, €12 for a JD and coke.
    If you don't have a few drinks before heading out, say you go straight into cocoon early in the evening and start on JD and Cokes, 5 of them and thats €60 gone already. 5 JD and Cokes do little or nothing to me personally.

Added to that is club entrance fee, food afterwards and taxi fares.

Anyway, I don't have to give you every little detail of how I spent the money. I may have bought one or two drinks for another person, but I certainly wasn't handing them out left right and centre.

Get your facts straight.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,988 ✭✭✭constitutionus

rb_ie wrote:
    Are you joking? If not then you clearly have never been into such places as Cocoon, Lillies Bordello, to a lesser extent AKA, Cafe En Seine etc. You can easily burn through extreme amounts of money in these places.
    A double vodka and redbull is €18 in Cocoon, €6 for a bottle of Heineken (they've only stella on tap) or any other bottle, €12 for a JD and coke.
    If you don't have a few drinks before heading out, say you go straight into cocoon early in the evening and start on JD and Cokes, 5 of them and thats €60 gone already. 5 JD and Cokes do little or nothing to me personally.

why am i reminded of the phrase "a fool and his money are easily separated" :D:D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,408 ✭✭✭Huggles

rb_ie wrote:

Anyway, I don't have to give you every little detail of how I spent the money. I may have bought one or two drinks for another person, but I certainly wasn't handing them out left right and centre.

Get your facts straight.

I am shocked.

Lol, and I forgot to mention bucks afterwards.

rb_ie wrote:
    Lol, and I forgot to mention bucks afterwards.

Do you think when your older that you will spend like that? Just wondering?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

rb_ie wrote:

:D

Maybe you should re-evalutate why you're going out so much and/or drinking so much....most of us can have a good week without spending remotely near 200 a week. You can't have it every way, sure the country is expensive, but in some cases only as expensive as you make it.

And jesus rb_ie I'm shocked the parents can find it acceptable to give their son 90 euro on a night out because he's not working? If I wasn't working all I'd get would be a smack for having the cheek to ask for a fiver let alone 90 damn quid :D

And I would spend maybe 70 on a night out...

Taxi to town and back, shared: 12
    Entrance: 8
    Drink: 40
    Food: 3

63, not bad I suppose, its a general average give or take a few euro

edit: And what is with this crazy "18 euro for a double vodka and red bull?" What an earth would anybody choose to pay such amazingly extortionate prices, regardless of how 'great' the club is? Why do you accept these prices? When I go out, its a double vodka for 8 euro or whatever, or a pint for 3 euro....Now I can see how somebody could spend 800 per month in this sort of enviroment.

TheGooner wrote:
    Do you think when your older that you will spend like that? Just wondering?
    Do I think I'm older?What?Where in the name of God does age come into this?

• Advertisement

serveral people have stated that they spent like it was going out of fashion when they where younger, myself included. Now I am a lot older I dont.

Just wondering about yourself? Your 18/19 yeah?*

* apologies if i am mixing u up with somebody else.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,203 ✭✭✭Heyes

TheGooner wrote:
    serveral people have stated that they spent like it was going out of fashion when they where younger, myself included. Now I am a lot older I dont.

To be honest gooner, yeah suppose age does have something to do with it, but i think in relation to the prices in pubs/ bars at the moment its more a case of having to pay the price if you want the drink / entrence... rather than a desier which may have been the case more so when we were younger.

Heyes wrote:
    To be honest gooner, yeah suppose age does have something to do with it, but i think in relation to the prices in pubs/ bars at the moment its more a case of having to pay the price if you want the drink / entrence... rather than a desier which may have been the case more so when we were younger.

I just think someone at the age of 26 has more sense than to fork over 20 quid entrance fee to some place than and 18.19.20 year old, thats just going on my own friends tbh.

I'm 20. The few nights out in question were last year, I had an awful lot of money coming in and no expenses (rent,bills etc) so blowing off that amount once or twice didn't make much of an effect. Sure, they were a few expensive nights out. They were also some of the best nights out that I've had, in the 4 years I've been going to bars/clubs etc. I wasn't in any way trying to act older at the time, nor do I see how you could derive from it that I was.
    Moneys a lot easier to spend when you're young, I mean you've generally absolutely no worries, no bills etc. Obviously a time will come where this will change, with age comes such burdens as phone bills/different insurances/loans/credit card bills etc. You've also got to be worried about purchasing a first house, mortgages etc so its obviously going to affect your spending on recreational ventures such as nights out.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,988 ✭✭✭constitutionus

TheGooner wrote:

i'll back this up. used to drink like a fish 3 times a week when i was 23, now im 33 i go out once a week and have about 6 pints. compleatly stopped clubbing on a regular basis too. in fact i cant remember the last time i went to one, must be four or five months ago now. much prefer a pub quiz and a chat

much prefer a pub quiz and a chat

comfy slippers and a cup of cha ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,203 ✭✭✭Heyes

TheGooner wrote:
    I just think someone at the age of 26 has more sense than to fork over 20 quid entrance fee to some place than and 18.19.20 year old, thats just going on my own friends tbh.

True i 100% agree with that, you wouldnt find me spending 20 euro to get into a club.
    TheGooner wrote:
    omfy slippers and a cup of cha

LoL :p

Its just common sense ffs. Clearly I can go out and spend whatever I like, I still live at home, I don't pay for rent/groceries/bills etc. I don't have a loan, I don't have insurance or any other financial burdens. Obviously as you get older, circumstances change and you've to budget for things.

Just back in from a gig in Vicar street and it the audience was all mid twenties upwards.

Got the bus in - 1.55
    Ticket - 27.50
    4 cokes - 2.40x4
    taxi home - 10.00
    chippies - 2.00

Total - 56.50

Had a bloody good night too!

• Advertisement

TheGooner wrote:
    Had a bloody good night too!

Good! I hope it didn't 'cause a dent in your budget for the month, wouldn't want those bills being paid late now would we.

Advertisement