Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best House Alarm?

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

chamac wrote: »
    Also, whats the best method to connect the UPC line to the alarm?
    I have the alarm plugged into the back of the modem via a standard telephone extension cable.
    The red and green wires are connected to the alarm terminals.
    Chamac

To connect UPC to an alarm digi you will need 1 RJ11 to RJ11 cable and one of these.
    14452726.jpg

Use the red & green terminals on each & connect to a 4 core cable as follows.

Red> Red socket 1
    Black to Green> socket 1
    Blue > Red socket 2
    Yellow > green socket 2

Connect modem to socket 1 using RJ11 to RJ11 lead.
    Plug your phone into socket 2

At the alarm wire Red & Black to Line in & Blue & Yellow to line out.

• Registered Users Posts: 32 chamac

Thanks Lads.... Big Respect to ye all.
    I will try to find out what provider has the best signal at the panel and use their sim card.
    Will try that circuit Kool and see what happens.
    Chamac

• Registered Users Posts: 29 iancr

how would i go about connecting up my dialler (standard HKC) to UPC line. UPC coming in with TV doesn't have a hard wired telephone point.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

iancr wrote: »
    how would i go about connecting up my dialler (standard HKC) to UPC line. UPC coming in with TV doesn't have a hard wired telephone point.

To connect UPC to an alarm digi you will need 1 RJ11 to RJ11 cable and one of these.
    14452726.jpg

Use the red & green terminals on each & connect to a 4 core cable as follows.

Red> Red socket 1
    Black to Green> socket 1
    Blue > Red socket 2
    Yellow > green socket 2

Connect modem to socket 1 using RJ11 to RJ11 lead.
    Plug your phone into socket 2

At the alarm wire Red & Black to Line in & Blue & Yellow to line out.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,640 ✭✭✭✭altor

iancr wrote: »

I am not sure if the dialer will text with UPC. As far as I know UPC does not do text from there line.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭Cadzer

altor wrote: »
    I am not sure if the dialer will text with UPC. As far as I know UPC does not do text from there line.

Yep i agree. UPC will not text an the DIGI uses the eircom messaging . It will go to a monitoring station or use in conjunction with a voice dallier.

Ok, Got an O2 sim. Made sure it was not sim locked and put it into panel.
    Went through all the settings and gave it a test by activating the alarm.
    Panel phones the phone ok but its about 8 minutes after the activation.
    Is this right? Should it not phone out straight away?
    Also, when I phone it, it rings once and gives three beeps.
    It does not respond to any further inputs.
    Any ideas would be great.:confused::confused:

The beeps mean it trying to make contact with a central station.
    Eight minutes does not sound right.
    Have you just the one number programmed.
    As Altor said UPC can not be used to text.

Who is a central station? Is that a remote technician at Visonic or me the self monitor ?
    I changed the number of numbers to one and went through all the settings.
    Took out PSTN where I could and left in Cellular
    Tried again and still a delay of nine minutes.
    I tried setting up the PSTN line like you described but no go.
    Didn't get a chance to troubleshoot it yet.
    Used a two to one splitter to do the job. Maybe thats the problem.
    Jeezuz, Just had another call from alarm 20 minutes later this time
    Maybe I should do a full reset and start again.

What way have you set up the communications ? Is it voice or text ?

• Advertisement

both

both

If you want to use the voice option then it needs to be set up for voice only. It wont do both together. I would not be too confident of getting remote access with the UPC or acknowledging the call if it rings you so I would ditch this and set up the GSM only. This way you will have remote access by text plus if the alarm activates you will get a more detailed text rather than the alarm has activated.

Hi Altor
    I disabled text and left GSM enabled but still the same 10-12 minute delay before I get the first call.
    They could be in the panel wrecked and no call in that time.
    Theres something amiss I think. Its still phoning 30 minutes later....and texts are coming now too and they disabled.:eek::eek:
    Will try again tomorra....
    EDIT,
    Did reset to defaults this am. Working now and phoning straight away. Firmware must have been corrupted somehow.
    Will adjust one step at a time from here out.

Hi David85 & welcome to Boards.ie.
    Your previous post has been deleted
    If you are an installer & you are here to contribute we welcome your input. If you are only coming on here to promote yourself then your posts will be deleted.
    Please read over the forum charter here
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055954199
    Any questions PM me.

• Registered Users Posts: 300 ✭✭Speculator

Hi folks,

Looking for some advice, I've just purchased a 3 bed semi-detached house and would like to get an alarm fitted, but I have no idea what I'm looking for.

I was hoping to get the front door and back door (back door is a sliding door) and front and back windows fitted. (2 large windows in total). Upstairs windows are not easily accessible unless you have a ladder.

The house does not have a phone cable/connection and I'm not sure if I would like to go down that path. There is an existing alarm in the house but it looks as if its about 20 years old and is currently obsolete.

I was thinking about getting an alarm system that would send me a text should it be triggered.

All suggestions greatly appreicated as I have very little knowledge in this area. :confused:

How how much on average should I be spending?

If the cables can be tested and there are no problems with them then an upgrade of the old system might be the cheapest way to go. If not there are a lot of wire free system out there to choose from. HKC, SIGNET, VISONIC. With all these system you can add a GSM dialer for remote access plus get a text if the alarm activates.

altor wrote: »
    If the cables can be tested and there are no problems with them then an upgrade of the old system might be the cheapest way to go. If not there are a lot of wire free system out there to choose from. HKC, SIGNET, VISONIC. With all these system you can add a GSM dialer for remote access plus get a text if the alarm activates.

Hi Altor thanks for the advice. The cables are not usable as they are old and are disintegrating.

Which of the alarms (HKC, SIGNET, Visonic) would you recommend and approx how much would it cost to install including the GSM dialer?

Speculator wrote: »
    Hi Altor thanks for the advice. The cables are not usable as they are old and are disintegrating.

Which of the alarms (HKC, SIGNET, Visonic) would you recommend and approx how much would it cost to install including the GSM dialer?

Your welcome,

Out of the 3 the visonic would be the cheapest including the GSM.

If I decided to purchase a monitored alarm do I require cables or can it be wireless?

Speculator wrote: »
    If I decided to purchase a monitored alarm do I require cables or can it be wireless?

All systems can be monitored be that wired or wire free.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 85 ✭✭harolds57

Anyone any experience on the following ESP Infinite Prime Alarm Kits, good or bad. It’s the GSM one I’m looking at for £369.98 Inc VAT (sterling). It’s just for a new work shop i built at back of house. Workshop consits of 12foot steel door at front onto lane, 6 foot steel door and a personal door onto back garden, 1 sky light and 1 3x4 window. The main thing is that i can turn it off remotely if the alarm goes off. Will be getting IP camera soon so when it does go off i can check on it.
    Like the fact that i can add x10 module to it. Could be used for turning security lights on or garden lights etc at a later stage.

http://www.quicksafe.co.uk/gsm-burglar-alarm.htm

Many Thanks.

harolds57 wrote: »
    Anyone any experience on the following ESP Infinite Prime Alarm Kits, good or bad. It’s the GSM one I’m looking at for £369.98 Inc VAT (sterling). It’s just for a new work shop i built at back of house. Workshop consits of 12foot steel door at front onto lane, 6 foot steel door and a personal door onto back garden, 1 sky light and 1 3x4 window. The main thing is that i can turn it off remotely if the alarm goes off. Will be getting IP camera soon so when it does go off i can check on it.
    Like the fact that i can add x10 module to it. Could be used for turning security lights on or garden lights etc at a later stage.

Many Thanks.

david85 has experience with this system, if you send him a P.M. he will give you any info you require with this system.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 stevedog

Hi All,

Am new to boards but really need to find quite a lot of info out as moving into new house shortly.
    The house im moving into is a 4 bed semi detached, front door, patio doors to rear, 7 windows at ground floor (5 with 2 openings), 7 windows at 1st floor (2 openings on 3 of these). im basically looking to find out what is the best alarm option for me to go with? I have quotes already circa €600 for a honeywell system and a hkc securewatch system providing contacts and PIRs etc. If anyone could advise me on a good system to get and advise on whether i should be getting contacts, sensors, etc that would be great. Also dont want to break the bank on price.

The price is right. The honeywell plus HKC are good systems, but if I was getting the HKC system installed I would be looking at the HKC securewave over the securewatch. It should be the same price.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,058 ✭✭✭Jnealon

stevedog wrote: »
    Hi All,

Am new to boards but really need to find quite a lot of info out as moving into new house shortly.
    The house im moving into is a 4 bed semi detached, front door, patio doors to rear, 7 windows at ground floor (5 with 2 openings), 7 windows at 1st floor (2 openings on 3 of these). im basically looking to find out what is the best alarm option for me to go with? I have quotes already circa €600 for a honeywell system and a hkc securewatch system providing contacts and PIRs etc. If anyone could advise me on a good system to get and advise on whether i should be getting contacts, sensors, etc that would be great. Also dont want to break the bank on price.

Ask the installer what Honeywell panel he is installing as they make some good panels but they also make some cheap low end ones too.
    My advice is to get some more quotes before you proceed

• Registered Users Posts: 8 stevedog

Cheers for the replies on the above folks, pretty much any alarm installer I have called says they will cate the alarm for whatever budget I choose, very annoying when im trying to compare price and quality!!!
    I was also told that it might be best to just use a PIR in the sitting room(3 windows in this room) as the beam will cover them all and sensors or contacts would not be needed.
    I feel some installers favour contacts, some sensors, and then other seem to be pushing more PIRs, what is anyone elses stance on this??

stevedog wrote: »
    Cheers for the replies on the above folks, pretty much any alarm installer I have called says they will cate the alarm for whatever budget I choose, very annoying when im trying to compare price and quality!!!
    I was also told that it might be best to just use a PIR in the sitting room(3 windows in this room) as the beam will cover them all and sensors or contacts would not be needed.
    I feel some installers favour contacts, some sensors, and then other seem to be pushing more PIRs, what is anyone elses stance on this??

I would rather put shocks and or contacts on the windows rather than a pir in the room. A would be intruder would have to gain access to your house before the alarm will activate. For a wired system the sensors are not as expensive as if your going wire free so just putting in a pir makes no sense. By just installing contacts your glass can be easily taken out or smashed without activating the alarm.

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭david85

harolds57 wrote: »

Many Thanks.
    hi just read tat you wanted to pick up a prime panel wit gsm. you can remotely switch on and off alarm. It also has a TWA (Two way audio) device built in so if the alarm triggers and you look wit the cameras you can dial into the panel and say whatever you like to the intruder. Anymore queries dont heisitate to P.M me

Hi All
    I was wondering if it is possible to get standard PIR's to work outdoors with my Powermax Pro ?
    I need to cover a flat roof that is a path to my building. It could be fixed in a sheltered dry spot.
    Would birds set it off? I have a spare pet resistant one.
    The heating flue is up there too.
    Charlie

• Advertisement

Hi All
    I was wondering if it is possible to get standard PIR's to work outdoors with my Powermax Pro ?
    I need to cover a flat roof that is a path to my building. It could be fixed in a sheltered dry spot.
    Would birds set it off? I have a spare pet resistant one.
    The heating flue is up there too.
    Charlie

No, the standard pir is not designed to work out doors. They have got an outdoor motion detector that will work. Here is a link.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement