Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best House Alarm?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,640 ✭✭✭✭altor

I contacted an installer. Who veered me away from the signet 220 to a visonics complete panel with 4 PIR and a gsm dialler for €1100 installed. Does this sound expensive.

This can be done alot cheaper, the gsm card goes inside the power max complete. It can also give you remote access to your alarm when your away.

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭freddy99

Does anybody know if there is a way to program the cs350 so that it will trigger alarm if a certain code (key sequence) is entered on the keypad. I have the install manual and installed it myself, but cannot find this info.
    Thanks in advance

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

Arrow up & arrow down can be programmed as a PA.
    You can programme a duress code to send a PA to a monitoring station.
    What exactly are you trying to achive?

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭freddy99

Thank you KoolKid,

Just want a way to use a PA type activation without using a separate PA switch. I see the duress code, but it looks like only for de-activation under duress. I see the option to turn on PA on/off, didn't realize the keys used. It's obvious now that I read the manual again. Thanks again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 kormesii

Hi All,

Cause most of you are vary familiar with Signet panels I have found something very interesting in one of their manuals : According to that manual their eNet bus communicates at speeds up to 307 kbps and that is woooow not easy to believe ! :rolleyes:
    As I understand eNet is the system bus where all devices (kbd, sensors etc. ) are connected... My question is is that right and of course do they have some special requirement ? I have look at for more information on their web site but the important guide "Technical manual" unfortunately is password protected :mad:
    Most of panels I have look at works typically at RS485 speed 9600 - 19200 and rarely 37k .. But 307... that is a mystery how is possible...

Regards!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 887 ✭✭✭suitseir

I have an alarm system but am thinking on the lines of Eircom Phonewatch. Has anybody got any recommendations?

Reps from Eircom were in my area at the weekend, as in Saturdays? Do these people work at the weekends?

suitseir wrote: »
    I have an alarm system but am thinking on the lines of Eircom Phonewatch. Has anybody got any recommendations?

Reps from Eircom were in my area at the weekend, as in Saturdays? Do these people work at the weekends?

Hi suitseir,

If you have an alarm in place you should see about bringing the system up to the EN50131 standard, maybe even updating the panel and getting the company to get it monitored by a monitoring station rather than installing a whole new system.

They are from a company called cobra, they are set targets so have to keep there sales up. There sales people sell it well, even if half them dont know much about alarms.

Something they dont tell you is the alarm comes with a dummy external bell box which means if down the road you decide to stop having the alarm monitored and your alarm goes off it will only ring in the house, plus they dont say anything about your phone line that will be used to monitor the alarm. On most houses this is easily cut, which means you may as well not have the alarm monitored as a cut phone line will not ring the monitoring station to alert them your house is being broken into.

• Registered Users Posts: 887 ✭✭✭suitseir

Thanks for that info.

That is a good idea....getting an upgrade. I will ring the company who installed mine tomorrow and see what is on offer.

Regarding cutting the line.....all cables are underground which I suppose is good but I see where you are coming from regarding the fall-out down the line, so to speak.

suitseir wrote: »
    Thanks for that info.

That is a good idea....getting an upgrade. I will ring the company who installed mine tomorrow and see what is on offer.

Regarding cutting the line.....all cables are underground which I suppose is good but I see where you are coming from regarding the fall-out down the line, so to speak.

Your welcome,

Thats good, they are safe enough for you but most houses have a phone line that can be easily cut. No point having the alarm monitored if the line can be cut as the monitoring station wont know about it until they dont receive a test call from the alarm.

• Registered Users Posts: 355 ✭✭dubber

koolkid wrote: »
    Pm me your details & I can arrange a quotation & demonstration of a Live SigNet system if you want.
    Views IP cameras would be connecting them straight to your network, not via SigNet.
    You could however log into your signet on one browser window & view a camera on another at the same time.

Is there an online demo somewhere of this system?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

Not that I am aware of.

• Registered Users Posts: 898 ✭✭✭bauderline

Hi Folks,

Can anyone indicate a supplier that stocks the Signet 300 in or around Dublin ?

I need one in a hurry...

Best regards, Peter.

bauderline wrote: »
    Hi Folks,

Can anyone indicate a supplier that stocks the Signet 300 in or around Dublin ?

I need one in a hurry...

Best regards, Peter.

REW
    Jamestown Road,
    Dublin 11.
    01-6527037

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 munsteradam

Hi,
    I have a HKC SecureWatch 8, with additional 4 zone expander, wireless PIR in garage and modem. I had this installed nearly 4 yaers ago and all pretty good. Always liked the text messages when alarm triggered and by what etc. We got rid of our landline 6 months ago and went with Skype for landline etc. Bought a skype dual handset so the PC doesn't need to be on to make and receive calls etc. I would like to get back the text message service for the alarm. I am aware that HKC produce their own GSM dialler that you put a SIM card in but heard this is dear, approx €300 plus, but see a lot of GSM dialers with SIM card holders on Ebay for between €50 and €150. Would these work as a cheaper alternative and has anyone done it?

Cheers.

Hi,
    I have a HKC SecureWatch 8, with additional 4 zone expander, wireless PIR in garage and modem. I had this installed nearly 4 yaers ago and all pretty good. Always liked the text messages when alarm triggered and by what etc. We got rid of our landline 6 months ago and went with Skype for landline etc. Bought a skype dual handset so the PC doesn't need to be on to make and receive calls etc. I would like to get back the text message service for the alarm. I am aware that HKC produce their own GSM dialler that you put a SIM card in but heard this is dear, approx €300 plus, but see a lot of GSM dialers with SIM card holders on Ebay for between €50 and €150. Would these work as a cheaper alternative and has anyone done it?

Cheers.

The best one for your alarm is the HKC GSM, it can also give you remote access to the alarm for setting and disarming over the GSM. A lot of alarm equipment on e bay is crap so my advice would be to stay away and get the proper GSM installed. It will save you money in the long run ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 417 ✭✭Tim M-U

You should consider BlueFace, (blueface.ie) there a bit cheaper!
    Your VOIP provider allows calls via an ATA but you cannot send a text over ATA. You can get your hands on a dialler that phones rather then texts. I may be hard to get your alarm up to standards with this though... I would think of GSM diallers as being out of date very soon, and manufacturers may develop a DIGI that connects to bb, but powering is a problem..
    As altor said, the best (at this time) is a GSM dialler..

Thanks Altor and Tim, it seems that the HKC GSM dialler is probably the easiest and most proficient out there, although expensive. Does anyone know where I can buy this hardware? Is this available online or from Alarm companies. Also, I know there was a joint venture between O2 and HKC with this equipment, but presume it would work with any vodafone, 3, meteor SIM as well and can send SMS to any of these carriers etc.

Thanks again for the help and advice.

Most alarm wholesalers will stock or source these diallers.
    Where are you living?

Cork. I have the original installation manual so presume I would be able to install and configure myself, with manual for GSM as well.

Thanks.

Thanks Altor and Tim, it seems that the HKC GSM dialler is probably the easiest and most proficient out there, although expensive. Does anyone know where I can buy this hardware? Is this available online or from Alarm companies. Also, I know there was a joint venture between O2 and HKC with this equipment, but presume it would work with any vodafone, 3, meteor SIM as well and can send SMS to any of these carriers etc.

Thanks again for the help and advice.

Your welcome,

If you use a ready to go sim registered on line you can top it up and check the credit without opening the unit after installing it.

Here is a link of suppliers, its always best to ring a few and get a price ;)

• Advertisement

Had a look at the HKC website and the communications tab, I already have a digi modem for landline (not used now) so not sure if I need the GSM-P or GSM-M to allow text messages to mobile numbers via SIM pay as you go card. Can I use any flavour card, looks like it comes with O2 SIM card. Thanks again.

Had a look at the HKC website and the communications tab, I already have a digi modem for landline (not used now) so not sure if I need the GSM-P or GSM-M to allow text messages to mobile numbers via SIM pay as you go card. Can I use any flavour card, looks like it comes with O2 SIM card. Thanks again.

The difference is you get a power supply with the metal GSM. The poly housing GSM is connected to the panel for its back up power. If you have a lot of powered devices then the metal GSM would be used but if you dont the poly GSM will do. 087, 086 or 085 will work with the GSM, just make sure you have a good signal with ever one you use.

Thanks Altor for all your advice, looks like the plastic housing for me....now to get it at the best price...

Cheers.

Thanks Altor for all your advice, looks like the plastic housing for me....now to get it at the best price...

Cheers.

Your welcome munsteradam,

Always happy to help :D

• Registered Users Posts: 502 ✭✭✭Finne1993

Hi,

Cheers.

Many here on Boards have shot down the GSM diallers available on ebay etc but I can only speak from my own experiences, I bought and installed this one: http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/GSM-Intruder-Alarm-Auto-Dialler-Uses-Pay-You-Go-SIM-/160432492529?cmd=ViewItem&pt=UK_Burglar_Alarms&hash=item255a858ff1 about a year ago onto my own alarm which is HKC and it took 10-15 mins to install and program it, very simple to operate and works perfectly, all it costs me to run is €20 a year, (Vodafone sim cards need to be topped up with a minimum of €10 credit every 6 months to remain active).
    I was told at the time not to touch this and pay the €400 I was quoted for the HKC one, admittedly the sterling rate was a lot better then but you're still saving, I've recommended this dialler to a few friends and none have any issues with it.

Finne1993 wrote: »
    Many here on Boards have shot down the GSM diallers available on ebay etc but I can only speak from my own experiences, I bought and installed this one: http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/GSM-Intruder-Alarm-Auto-Dialler-Uses-Pay-You-Go-SIM-/160432492529?cmd=ViewItem&pt=UK_Burglar_Alarms&hash=item255a858ff1 about a year ago onto my own alarm which is HKC and it took 10-15 mins to install and program it, very simple to operate and works perfectly, all it costs me to run is €20 a year, (Vodafone sim cards need to be topped up with a minimum of €10 credit every 6 months to remain active).
    I was told at the time not to touch this and pay the €400 I was quoted for the HKC one, admittedly the sterling rate was a lot better then but you're still saving, I've recommended this dialler to a few friends and none have any issues with it.

It is good to hear of your good experience with your buy off ebay. Most products bought off ebay are not worth the money people pay.
    The difference with the GSM you got and the HKC GSM is you get a detailed message from the HKC one plus you also have remote access to the alarm for arming/disarming. You can also use it for turning on/off lights, heating or even for opening/closing gates. I am not trying to knock the product you bought but there is a lot more to the HKC GSM being used with the HKC alarm.

• Registered Users Posts: 502 ✭✭✭Finne1993

altor wrote: »
    It is good to hear of your good experience with your buy off ebay. Most products bought off ebay are not worth the money people pay.
    The difference with the GSM you got and the HKC GSM is you get a detailed message from the HKC one plus you also have remote access to the alarm for arming/disarming. You can also use it for turning on/off lights, heating or even for opening/closing gates. I am not trying to knock the product you bought but there is a lot more to the HKC GSM being used with the HKC alarm.

Yes, very true, if you need the other features you mention you're better off going with the HKC one, I had no need for anything other than monitoring the alarm. Best of luck with your purchase.

It's important to point out at this stage that GSM is no longer a reliable method of monitoring.

Agreed, a well protected phone line is the best way to go.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭novice

koolkid wrote: »
    It's important to point out at this stage that GSM is no longer a reliable method of monitoring.
    altor wrote: »
    Agreed, a well protected phone line is the best way to go.

Can either of you guys elaborate on this?

Where we live the phone lines and TV cables go through a white box at the side of each house. Anyone could have both snipped in 10 seconds. Surely jamming a GSM signal would be more difficult?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement