Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best House Alarm?

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

GSM signals can be blocked without any physical tampering.
    Very cheaply also.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 123 ✭✭seawolf145

Reyman wrote: »
    My Homeguard Scopetronic alarm that I installed about 14 years ago is starting to give trouble and I was thinking of replacing it with something more reliable.

I need maybe 8 zones and something good i.e. I'm prepared to pay plenty for a good quality alarm.

Would some of you experienced guys be able to reommend a quality alarm?
    If I could plug in my laptop and do diagnostics on it now that would be a real bonus but maybe domestic alarms aren't that fancy yet?

Rottweiler and Pitbull.
    And a remington 870

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

Amazing. ??
    You dug up and quoted a post that is nearly 4 years old just to give that but of advice. ?
    If you are going to post here please keep it in relation to what was asked for.
    Thank you.

A dog is easily tampered with also.
    The thread is re alarm equipment. Any further off topic posts will be deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,640 ✭✭✭✭altor

novice wrote: »
    Can either of you guys elaborate on this?

It is a device that can block the signals for the GSM network.
    Where we live the phone lines and TV cables go through a white box at the side of each house. Anyone could have both snipped in 10 seconds. Surely jamming a GSM signal would be more difficult?

You could get the cables rerouted or else protect the white box at the side of the house. Tamper protect through your alarm is best so if someone opens or tampers with the white box it will notify the monitoring station or yourself which ever way you have it monitored.

• Advertisement

Off topic posts deleted.
    The thread is about house alarms. Nothing else.
    The next offtopic post earns an infraction & a ban.

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭novice

altor wrote: »
    Tamper protect through your alarm is best so if someone opens or tampers with the white box it will notify the monitoring station or yourself which ever way you have it monitored.

Good thinking.
    Some kind of locking metal cover for the box may not go astray either.

Good thinking.
    Some kind of locking metal cover for the box may not go astray either.

There is a locking plate that you can get to go over these covers but it can be taken off also.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,827 ✭✭✭fred funk }{

altor wrote: »
    There is a locking plate that you can get to go over these covers but it can be taken off also.

What I have done several times is hide the phone cables behind the white box and put in dummy cables that look like the originals. I also install a contact on the box so when it's opened the alarm will sound and they think they have cut the phone cables when they haven't and the alarm dials out as normal.

• Registered Users Posts: 32 chamac

Hi
    Sorry installers, I am a diehard DIY person.
    Just went to UPC so wired landline going soon.
    My landline dialler will no longer work.
    My alarm is a 15 year old Maplin with dialler so could do with upgrade.
    What do people think of this
    http://www.quicksafe.co.uk/gsm-burglar-alarm.htm
    It has a GSM dialler and supports X10.
    Sold by Amazon among others in UK.

• Advertisement

I would be looking at Visonic Powermax if that's the way you want to go.
    The GSM is still as vulnerable as any other.Why not hardwire to your UPC line and fit a back up power supply? More secure than GSM in my opinion.

Hi Koolkid
    Thanks for your rapid reply. I have been looking at that system just now.
    Can the built in dialer be made to dial through the UPC cable ?
    I don't understand what you mean by hardwire the UPC line.
    Is that to keep an eircom line active?
    I don't see a lot about X10 control. Is it the MCM-140 remote controller
    that I need to say turn on the heating etc.?
    Can I call the system and listen in to verify a break-in?

Hi Chamac

Can the built in dialer be made to dial through the UPC cable ? Yes
    By hardwire I mean physically connect your UPC line to the dialler.
    The powermax won't do X10, you can however ,hve 2 programmable outputs which you can switch remotly
    You can't listen in to verify a break-in, but when the system calls you , you can hang up & call the system back. From there you have remote control & hear the status of the system.

HI Kool
    I was looking at this one
    http://www.powermaxshop.co.uk/products.php?product=Visonic-PowerMax-Kit-5-Bedroom-With-External-Wireless-Siren
    The blurb states that it supports X10 protocol and can communicate with someone on the property through its duplex speaker-phone.
    Is this one a better spec?
    I tried my old alarm into the back of the UPC modem (phone socket)
    but No Go) Maybe its too old and looking for a dialtone...

This is the one I was referring to.
    It says it supports two way voice.I have never seen this set up.
    No mention of X10.
    I think your one is a bit older.Still very good value though.

http://www.visonic.com/Products/Wireless-Property-Protection/PowerMaxComplete

Thanks Kool
    Is it PSTN I am looking for with UPC to communicate directly through their cable.?
    Theres something in wiki about it being digital. They all use it including the Infinite Prime.
    Looks like your new Visonic and my older one are much the same, just re cased.
    The spec for the older one looks better, maybe its the way its written.
    Thought voda. tech support was bad....24 hour phoneback with UPC :-(

The PSTN dialler connects toi the anolouge telephone line from your broadband modem. The easiest way to do this to to disconnect the Eircom incoming line & pug a phone cable from the modem into the nearest phone socket.

The powermax complete does not support x10 devices. The old powermax can have 7 x10 devices, powermax + and powermax pro can have 15 x10 devices.
    With this system connected to your phone line you can have remote access to dial into the panel to listen in plus talk into the house if you wish. This is set up by entering the relevant number when you ring. If the alarm activates it will ring the first phone number and let you know of the alarm activating, at this point you can either press 2 to acknowledge the call or press 6 for the two way talking and listening through the panel.

Thanks lads for that.
    If you were to rely on just the UPC cable
    Would it not be easy for Johnny Knack to go across the road and lift the manhole cover and cut the cable going to your abode.
    Would it be better to have both hardwired and GSM?
    Can they be set up to work simultaneously to watch each other or would that be overkill..
    Thats why I liked the Infinite Prime, its has PSTN and GSM dialler built in. The dialler for the Visonic is c. £200

chamac wrote: »
    Would it not be easy for Johnny Knack to go across the road and lift the manhole cover and cut the cable going to your abode.
    A lot more difficult & more obvious than cutting a regular phone line.
    Could also turn off the power. Your modem should have a power supply with a back-up battery.
    Any back-up secondry device is always good.
    Can they be set up to work simultaneously to watch each other or would that be overkill..
    Thats why I liked the Infinite Prime, its has PSTN and GSM dialler built in. The dialler for the Visonic is c. £200
    PSTM & GSM can be set to back each other up or work together regardless with both reporting all events.

• Advertisement

Thanks lads for that.

If they knew you where getting your phone through UPC it would be easy enough to cut this cable as most houses have it coming down the front of there house. Is yours installed like this ? Which powermax system where you thinking of installing.

Hi Altor
    Luckily my cable is totally UG. The manhole would be the weak link.
    I was thinking that the older Powermax was a better spec.
    The Complete seemed to lack the X10.
    What do you think of the Infinite Prime?
    Maybe its not a common system but it has the GSM and PSTN disllers built in.
    It looks very expandable too.

You are lucky there as most places have it coming down the front of there house. I just had a quick look at the panel and you need to get mains to the external bell. 30 zones so if you want extra devices you can install them. It does not say anything about what standards that it complies too.

The powermax pro will cover all your needs 28 zones, x10, PSTN, GSM. You can order it all programmed in a kit if you want. Just a mater of sticking up the devices plus panel. I would rather use this panel than the infinite Prime. At lease it is available to buy in Ireland and if you have any problems you will get all the help you need here :D

Ok lads, Thanks for the useful advice.
    I'm going for the Powermax pro if the price justifies the better spec.
    Looks like the difference is that the pro has built in GSM module.(edit,It does not but its cheaper than the plus one)
    I have cctv via Avermedia NV5000 streaming onto my iphone so less need for the camera feature.
    Otherwise the Plus might fit the need.
    Who can supply it at the best price?

Thats because the plus GSM is external and the pro is internal. What area are you in ?

Galway city. I will be in Dublin on Friday.

If you send me the spec of what you need by P.M I will get you a price ;)

Ok, Got my Powermax Pro installed and working.
    Now I need a sim to activate the GSM module.
    I have heard that O2 sim's are the ones most people use.
    Do people have any ideas on this?
    Do they have to be topped up every month?

Also, whats the best method to connect the UPC line to the alarm?
    I have the alarm plugged into the back of the modem via a standard telephone extension cable.
    The red and green wires are connected to the alarm terminals.
    Chamac

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

I have heard that O2 sim's are the ones most people use.
    Do people have any ideas on this?
    Do they have to be topped up every month?

They only need to be used once every 6 months. So activate the alarm once every 6 months, and when it sends a text or makes a call, this keeps the sim active. You dont need to topup until your credit is gone, a tenner could last you 2 years or more

• Advertisement

That is great to hear, They are a very easy system to install :D

The sim card should be which ever has the best signal 085,086, and 087 I have used them with no problems. What you should do is register the sim on line so that you can check it on line plus top it up on line without having to take it out of the alarm. By you activating the alarm once every 5 months you are keeping the sim alive. Most service providers will allow you top up by 5 euro so this is all you will need depending on the amount of texts from the alarm. Remember when you install the sim make sure the unit is powered down completely.

That should be correct with regard the UPC connections, in the alarm is should be connected into line in the phone block.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement