Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best House Alarm?

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

Dont ring those suppliers. Walk in the door , order what you want & then produce cash.
    Never seen a wholsaler who doesn't like cash

• Registered Users Posts: 350 ✭✭fitzie79

still no luck in getting the signet system myself. made a bit of a saving on the kitchen from what i had budgeted so now thinking of getting someone to install the alarm for me.

does anyone know someone in the cork area that would be able to supply and fit the alarm. roughly how much should I expect to pay for the signet 220 alarm (with the web interface) and installation? the house is wired already for the alarm. there are 24 window contacts needed and 5 door contacts

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

Check out the PSA register
    http://www.psa.gov.ie/Website/psa/psa.nsf/registervw?Openform
    select 1D and search CORK.

For complete installation (if prewired) between €1400- €1600

• Registered Users Posts: 350 ✭✭fitzie79

back again! i have two quotes for alarms - one a hkc system and the other the europlex signet 220 which is €300 more expensive. Both systems have gsm diallers but the signet 220 has the ethernet connection. I'm trying to justify the extra cost to my better half but other than saying that the ethernet connection allows you to view the alarm log and enable/disable it i can't think of any other advantages.

are there other benefits that I haven't thought of?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,058 ✭✭✭Jnealon

There shouldn't be that much of a difference if both quotes have the same spec.
    While the signet is more expensive it's gsm unit is cheaper than the hkc equivalent so they pretty much even out

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 417 ✭✭Tim M-U

fitzie79 wrote: »
    should have thought of that myself!

rang them up and they gave me names of 2 companies in coek. both sell to trade only though. rang back and asked europlex for the name of a supplier who deals with the public but they said they didn't know if their distributors deal with the public

GRD (GREENHILLS RAINBOW DISTRIBUTION) supply alarms for the public and installers (in limerick anyway). http://www.grdcctv.ie/

Here are a list of suppliers for alarms (honeywell, hkc..):
    Borsatec D.2 Ph: 01-6712233
    Gardiner Security Ltd., D.12 01- 4501366
    Greenhills Security Ltd, D.12 01-4602014
    Greenhills Security Ltd, Donnabate , Dublin 01 8107597
    Jem Security Products. D.24 01-4566124
    National Electric Wholesalers. D.15 01-8767500
    National Electric, Ballymount, D.12 01-4567100
    National Electrical, Naas, Co Kildare 045 895896
    Northwood Technology.D.1 01- 8601880
    Phelan Security, D.9 01-8571404
    Reliable Security Products. D.3 01-8372439
    Sesco Security. Navan, Meath 046-9071318
    Wesco Naas, Kildare 045-871025
    Wesco, Louth 041 9836571
    Wesco, Drogheda, Louth 041 9836571
    Wesco, Navan, Co Meath 046 9023203
    Wesco, Newbridge, Co Kildare 045 433759
    IGT, Lucan,Co Dublin 01-6283596

LIMERICK
    Greenhills(Mike Curry) 0868076660
    Cork Branches

AES 0214964777
    Gardiner Security 021 4845180
    Greenhills Security 021 4351091
    National Electrical Wholesalers 021 4536161

Northern Ireland
    Greenhills Belfast 048 90370030

and
    Are no more!!!

fitzie79 wrote: »
    back again! i have two quotes for alarms - one a hkc system and the other the europlex signet 220 which is €300 more expensive. Both systems have gsm diallers but the signet 220 has the ethernet connection. I'm trying to justify the extra cost to my better half but other than saying that the ethernet connection allows you to view the alarm log and enable/disable it i can't think of any other advantages.

are there other benefits that I haven't thought of?

Jnealon is right in that the difference in GSM dialler prices should cancel out some of the difference.
    However the differenced between the HKC & Signet 220 is considerable.
    The Signet is newer technologly with lots of extra features.
    On top of the web browser.
    • X10 compatible
    • Unlimited calanders can be applied to codes, zones X10 etc.
    • X10 switchable via web browser
    • Full cause & effect switching of X10 Devices & outputs
    • Wireless entendable via expanders &/or keypads.
    • unlimited log
    • logging of all events set/or unset
    • Pace enabled keypads .
    • Access control.
    I could go on & on , but I recommend getting a full demonstration of a live Signet system before making any decision.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,362 ✭✭✭rolion

Hi,
    I'll love to get one of these as a gift for myself :
    GSM Alarm

• Registered Users Posts: 11,640 ✭✭✭✭altor

rolion wrote: »
    Hi,
    GSM Alarm

Why dont you then ?

• Advertisement

Hi,
    GSM Alarm
    Why not get a real one?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 102 ✭✭blog_blog_blog

Hi,
    GSM Alarm
    I bought a similar system from Ebay to save money, Pir Sensors/fobs look the same. It now does a great job of protecting a landfill somewhere..Chinese rubbish

Appreciate the info from thread already koolkid etc and muppets.
    Can you recommend a dublin installer for signet 220. As regards the eternet connection. Can you connect a Ip camera to system? Is it possible to view a camera remotely? Or to intergrate one into the system? Or is this more commercial control.

Thanks

Pm me your details & I can arrange a quotation & demonstration of a Live SigNet system if you want.
    Views IP cameras would be connecting them straight to your network, not via SigNet.
    You could however log into your signet on one browser window & view a camera on another at the same time.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 AlfaDelta

koolkid wrote: »
    and
    Are no more!!!
    If Greenhills have gone, does anyone know of any other supplier of HKC alarms in the Limerick area? Or anywhere else in the country that will do mail order?

AlfaDelta wrote: »
    If Greenhills have gone, does anyone know of any other supplier of HKC alarms in the Limerick area? Or anywhere else in the country that will do mail order?

You should ring HKC and they will give you a list of suppliers in your area or who supplies them close to you. There number is 01-4568353 or even e-mail sales@hkc.ie.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 kormesii

I bought a similar system from Ebay to save money, Pir Sensors/fobs look the same. It now does a great job of protecting a landfill somewhere..Chinese rubbish

Appreciate the info from thread already koolkid etc and muppets.
    Can you recommend a dublin installer for signet 220. As regards the eternet connection. Can you connect a Ip camera to system? Is it possible to view a camera remotely? Or to intergrate one into the system? Or is this more commercial control.

Thanks

Hi, Can you explain what kind of problems you have with such system cause I'm about to buy such system (just for tests ) exactly from ebay ...:rolleyes: False alarms , trouble programming, or entirely weak product ? :)
    About camera : I doubt you can find serious panel with IP camera installation possibilities. The main reason is that no one want to do such extra work on its system bus (non standard IP camera) and also there is no standard for interfacing IP cameras... Every provider has own sw for accessing it , but how ever that's huge extra work for it and that is not primary burglary panel function...
    But many alarm panels has Picture verification... The main idea is to make several pictures in key moments (when arming, and in programmable events).... Nowever this information is primary intended for ARC centre... I don't know providers to give possibility to end-user to watch it...
    You can actually add a typical IP camera and turn-it on with PGM... :cool:

kormesii wrote: »
    Hi, Can you explain what kind of problems you have with such system cause I'm about to buy such system (just for tests ) exactly from ebay

To be honest most alarm system on ebay are not up to the Irish EN50131 standards for intruder alarms so in my own view are a waste of money.

What system are you buying off ebay ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 kormesii

I ask about what china manufacturers offers and their problems cause it's too interesting for me what they offer for such low price ... I doubt on their practical use, so I wanna test... :)
    However I intend to buy panel like this:
    http://cgi.ebay.com/Home-Wired-Burglar-Security-Alarm-GSM-IV-SMS-Battery-5D_W0QQitemZ290384025381QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item439c3c9725
    or this one :
    http://cgi.ebay.com/8-Wired-16-Wireless-Burglar-Alarm-Control-Panel-220V_W0QQitemZ290380394751QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item439c0530ff
    Just for play & test...

But if someone can share experience about such panel will help me a lot...

Also another question :
    As far as I know Signet 300 has web interface... Is that interface build-in into the panel (as in DSC TL150) or it is just a possibility for remote programming via web server that communicates with panel (for example in Jablotron products) ?
    Regards !

I ask about what china manufacturers offers and their problems cause it's too interesting for me what they offer for such low price ... I doubt on their practical use, so I wanna test... :)
    However I intend to buy panel like this:
    http://cgi.ebay.com/Home-Wired-Burglar-Security-Alarm-GSM-IV-SMS-Battery-5D_W0QQitemZ290384025381QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item439c3c9725
    or this one :
    http://cgi.ebay.com/8-Wired-16-Wireless-Burglar-Alarm-Control-Panel-220V_W0QQitemZ290380394751QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item439c0530ff
    Just for play & test...

But if someone can share experience about such panel will help me a lot...

Also another question :
    As far as I know Signet 300 has web interface... Is that interface build-in into the panel (as in DSC TL150) or it is just a possibility for remote programming via web server that communicates with panel (for example in Jablotron products) ?
    Regards !

Its up to yourself if you want to buy and test these alarms but i would not advise it. You wont see any Irish retailer selling them. The signet can be connected to your modem in your home for remote access to your panel.

Regards !
    The SigNet 300 is way OTT for a domestic application. The SigNet 200ip (220) also have a web server.Also integrates full X10 control along with cause & effect control. In my opinion this is the best out there at the moment.

• Advertisement

I contacted an installer. Who veered me away from the signet 220 to a visonics complete panel with 4 PIR and a gsm dialler for €1100 installed. Does this sound expensive.

Koolkid I just say your reply to me there, I will PM you my details now thanks.

Visonics panel is vary basic & dated compared to the features of the Signet. I would not pay €1100 for something so limited.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,058 ✭✭✭Jnealon

That's expensive for the Visonic, I do the visonic complete with 4 pirs, two contacts and an external bell for €599. This is good for someone on a tight budget
    If the budget permits I would go for the Signet

Jnealon wrote: »
    That's expensive for the Visonic, I do the visonic complete with 4 pirs, two contacts and an external bell for €599. This is good for someone on a tight budget
    If the budget permits I would go for the Signet
    Is that fitted price? With GSM dialler. Should add that €1100 comes with 1 year monitoring

Still too dear. If your prepared to pay €1100 for that then seriousally consider making up the difference for a good signet system.
    There is a vast difference. If you want I can show you a demo of one.
    Anyone who Ive shown the SigNet to has never gone for the basic option.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 seamuslawless

Hey all,

Has anyone any experience of, or opinions on, the Yale HSA6400 Wireless system?

It has a telecommunication control panel to dial 3 numbers, PIR motion detectors and window/door contact points.

I know its a much cheaper system than the likes of the SigNet 220 so it obviously won't be as good, but just checking if anyone has any feedback on them.

Cheers!

Its cheaper because its junk. Don't touch it. It does not conform to EN standard. Put it like this, if the cheap ones were good all us installer would be using them & making a fortune.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 7 seamuslawless

Thanks for the reply Koolkid.

Would you have a recommendation for a reasonably priced wireless system?

It really depens on what you want seamus.
    We can usually fit most budgets, But for a decent wirless system with 10 + zones expect €1500+

• Advertisement

Hey all,

Has anyone any experience of, or opinions on, the Yale HSA6400 Wireless system?

It has a telecommunication control panel to dial 3 numbers, PIR motion detectors and window/door contact points.

I would stay away from them. As koolkid said they are junk.. Most systems installed today will be able to contact you when the alarm goes off..

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement