Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Supplements

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 148 ✭✭jasonf9ace

if your stuck for money id advice getting 5kg unflavoured whey £35, creatine mono 1 kg 13.95 and unflavoured instant oats 5kg 10 pound and maybe some omega 3.A fine muscle mass stack for £58.That and a fine workout program and a good diet should have you on your way to some nice muscle mass:)

• Registered Users Posts: 32,373 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

found this!
    Is bicarbonate of soda a performance-enhancing drug?
    some experts, including Dr Deitrick, claim that its effects are so powerful that it shouldn't have a place in competitive sport. “It comes down to whether or not the athlete has a competitive advantage by taking an aid,” he says. “And in the case of sodium bicarbonate, I believe the answer is yes. It violates the spirit of fair play by artificially enhancing performance.”
    Yep, ordinary baking soda AKA bread soda, just over a euro for 500g in most supermarkets, usually with the flour.

I have been drinking it to neutralise acid from drinking beer and my diet in general, I also take it as this is said to alleviate psoriasis

There also are interesting health benefits when you drink baking soda, which is alkaline, in water. Viruses and diseases such as colds, flu, cancer and even heart disease thrive in an acidic body, but cannot survive when your body is alkaline. The 2009 Journal of the American Society of Nephrology revealed a study of 134 patients with advanced kidney disease. Taking baking soda daily dramatically slowed down the progression of kidney disease, resulting in no need for dialysis.

Read more: How to Drink Bicarbonate of Soda for Health | eHow.com http://www.ehow.com/how_5616960_drink-bicarbonate-soda-health.html#ixzz10oeOmLUN

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,981 ✭✭✭✭Hanley

Sounds very Poliquin...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,238 ✭✭✭Esse85

PeakOutput wrote: »
    between now and xmas put on some muscle mass without minimal fat gain and then probably from febuary to june will be mainly cutting

and buying the individual parts of those stacks works out more expensive
    Yeah but you dont need everything in them stacks, thats my point, businesses include stuff you dont really need in order to get you to buy it as part of a whole package as you wouldnt necessarily buy it or even look for it if it wasnt included in the stack.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,238 ✭✭✭Esse85

between now and xmas put on some muscle mass without minimal fat gain and then probably from febuary to june will be mainly cutting

and buying the individual parts of those stacks works out more expensive
    Additional information: The 'Lean Muscle Bundle' gives you all six products to help achieve your lean muscle goals, whilst offering you great savings:

Impact Whey Protein (Chocolate Smooth flavour, 2500g): High protein blend to help build and repair muscle tissue.

Pulse (Berry Blast flavour, 800g): Creatine based formula designed to promote greater levels of energy and strength whilst helping to build tissue.

MyBar Oats & Whey (Raspberry flavour, 18 bars): A tasty and nutritious meal replacement bar, designed to add quality protein and carbohydrates conveniently to your diet.

Recovery XS (Strawberry flavour, 1800g): Advanced recovery formula combining all the nutrients you need after intense exercise.

HMB (90 tablets): Prevents the breakdown of muscle tissue for energy and promotes the presence of lean tissue.

Mega Green Tea Extract (90 caps): As the strongest extract of Green Tea, this is an excellent antioxidant which can assist in the promotion of fat burning and weight loss.

Are the bits in bold really needed, no their not, are cheaper but just as good alternatives available, of course they are, but if your loaded and dont mind forking out for that then by all means go ahead and buy the stack.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,834 ✭✭✭shootermacg

rubadub wrote: »
    found this!

Yep, ordinary baking soda AKA bread soda, just over a euro for 500g in most supermarkets, usually with the flour.

I have been drinking it to neutralise acid from drinking beer and my diet in general, I also take it as this is said to alleviate psoriasis

And does this have an effect on your psoriasis?

And does this have an effect on your psoriasis?
    Yes, I also use a small UVB light which has cleared it up amazingly and is of a lot more benefit than the bread soda. The only time I get a flare up is after heavy drinking, and if I take baking soda while drinking it is not nearly as bad.

There is a long thread on psoriasis here, I think my first post is numer 89 and have a few more mainly about the light.

It should help people with eczema which is pretty similar.

Yes, I also use a small UVB light which has cleared it up amazingly and is of a lot more benefit than the bread soda. The only time I get a flare up is after heavy drinking, and if I take baking soda while drinking it is not nearly as bad.

There is a long thread on psoriasis here, I think my first post is numer 89 and have a few more mainly about the light.

It should help people with eczema which is pretty similar.

Cheers for the reply Rub, any suggestions where I can buy such a light, and directions as to the dosage/mix, I suffer with it myself and usually use a cream to keep it in check but, it's a pain and the cream gives me ringing in my ears for some reason.
    I'd defintely try something else.

Cheers for the reply Rub, any suggestions where I can buy such a light,
    I gave advice here http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=67868128&postcount=104

Though this seems off topic the UVB light is a supplement in a way, it lets you synthesize your own Vitamin D in your system, which is mean to be a lot more beneficial than just taking tablets.

You can see several articles here, boosts testosterone, better weightloss, better athletic performance

http://www.google.com/custom?domains=ergo-log.com&q=vitamin+d&sa=+search+&sitesearch=ergo-log.com&client=pub-7117181179885591&forid=1&ie=ISO-8859-1&oe=ISO-8859-1&cof=LH%3A36%3BLW%3A92%3BL%3Ahttp%3A%2F%2Fwww.ergo-log.com%2Fplaatjes%2Flogo.gif%3B%3BS%3Ahttp%3A%2F%2F%3BFORID%3A1%3B&hl=en

You can get benefits of UVB by just sunbathing, no sunscreen and at the hottest part of the day, just a few minutes is beneficial, this is why skin conditions get worse at winter.

I gave advice here http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=67868128&postcount=104

Though this seems off topic the UVB light is a supplement in a way, it lets you synthesize your own Vitamin D in your system, which is mean to be a lot more beneficial than just taking tablets.

You can see several articles here, boosts testosterone, better weightloss, better athletic performance

http://www.google.com/custom?domains=ergo-log.com&q=vitamin+d&sa=+search+&sitesearch=ergo-log.com&client=pub-7117181179885591&forid=1&ie=ISO-8859-1&oe=ISO-8859-1&cof=LH%3A36%3BLW%3A92%3BL%3Ahttp%3A%2F%2Fwww.ergo-log.com%2Fplaatjes%2Flogo.gif%3B%3BS%3Ahttp%3A%2F%2F%3BFORID%3A1%3B&hl=en

Cheers mate, I've been ignoring it pretty much all summer but now with the damp weather coming in, it's starting to play on my mind, I know those UV lamp treatments at the doctor's cost a few grand because a neighbour is getting the treatment and it's costing her a bomb, I'm off to look at your post, maybe get me a lamp asap.
    Thanks again!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39,105 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

found this!

I've read that before in Men's Health.
    Section on PEDs, and one part cover legal subtances taken regularly.
    Runners taking baking soda,
    footballers/rugby players taking pseudoephedrine (ie sudafed) and caffine etc.

I know those UV lamp treatments at the doctor's cost a few grand because a neighbour is getting the treatment and it's costing her a bomb,
    I have read of people converting sunbeds, all you need is the new special bulbs. Many doctors will rip you off, they are just another type of "repair man" in my mind, people just tend to accept the (sometimes) ridiculous charges they quote, yet would get second quotes on any other repair work. Many treat them like demi-gods, who can do no wrong.

It is sickening to see some stuff on forums, one persons dermatoligist even denied knowledge of UVB treatment. Others overstate its dangers and view it as a last resort, when in my mind the last resort is the steroid creams they over-prescribe. The problem is if they give a patient a UVB light then they have lost themselves a customer, and what businessman wants to do that when they can have a customer for life having to top up their prescriptions. Also if you have used steroid creams in the past UVB will no be as effective, it still works but you need more topups after.

One other person got the bulb and the doctor wanted them to report to them every single week to check progress, even if nothing was wrong and it was improving.

The UVB is not a cure, its a treatment that should be ongoing. I have seen people say "oh I tried UVB but it got worse again", but they mean they did a 3-4month course in a hospital and stopped and it came back -as I would expect. Others who own lights can just get buy on top up exposure every now and then.
    Mellor wrote: »
    Section on PEDs, and one part cover legal subtances taken regularly.
    Runners taking baking soda
    This other site said it could be seen as doping.

http://www.sportsci.org/traintech/buffer/lrm.htm
    The International Olympic Committee (IOC) does not explicitly ban the use of sodium bicarbonate sodium citrate, or other buffering agents. However, their use may be considered a violation of the IOC Doping Rule, which states that athletes shall not use any physiological substance in an attempt to artificially enhance performance. In horse racing, where the use of buffering agents is banned, limits have been set on the concentration of bicarbonate in blood samples taken before races. We believe it would be possible to set up a similar system to screen for the use of buffers by human athletes.

I have read of people converting sunbeds, all you need is the new special bulbs. Many doctors will rip you off, they are just another type of "repair man" in my mind, people just tend to accept the (sometimes) ridiculous charges they quote, yet would get second quotes on any other repair work. Many treat them like demi-gods, who can do no wrong.

It is sickening to see some stuff on forums, one persons dermatoligist even denied knowledge of UVB treatment. Others overstate its dangers and view it as a last resort, when in my mind the last resort is the steroid creams they over-prescribe. The problem is if they give a patient a UVB light then they have lost themselves a customer, and what businessman wants to do that when they can have a customer for life having to top up their prescriptions. Also if you have used steroid creams in the past UVB will no be as effective, it still works but you need more topups after.

One other person got the bulb and the doctor wanted them to report to them every single week to check progress, even if nothing was wrong and it was improving.

The UVB is not a cure, its a treatment that should be ongoing. I have seen people say "oh I tried UVB but it got worse again", but they mean they did a 3-4month course in a hospital and stopped and it came back -as I would expect. Others who own lights can just get buy on top up exposure every now and then.

That was the wife's answer, she'd prefer me to go see a doctor, she doesn't want me getting cancer, yet she'll gladly lie out in the sun all day lol.

If I know one thing, it's that it always comes back. I see using a bit of UV as a much better thing than creams that thin the skin etc, and it's not like we get any sun for 3/4 of the year anyway.

Took a look at the lamp you suggested and it looks great, those teeth seem to be the job for the scalp, I'll place an order in on pay-daysmile.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 39,105 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

This other site said it could be seen as doping.

http://www.sportsci.org/traintech/buffer/lrm.htm

Well the other site is wrong imo. "Any subtance that artificially enhances performance" could apply to plenty of allowed subtances. Such as painkillers, or isotonic drinks etc.

There can't really be any grey areas in doping cases really. That's why there is a definitive list and limits on everything even naturally occuring subtances (RBCs, testosterone etc). The IOC isn't in charge of doping anymore either, its WADA's list that decides.

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭DARCHA22

hey guys im back in ireland finally and will be back in the gym today

looking at getting some supplements to help with the college diet

myprotein have some great value stacks at the moment but want to know which one you would recomend for my particular goals

im gonna try to take the 'if you want to look like an athlete, train like an athlete' approach this year. so im gonna be doing 4 days of weights followed by either 40min run or 40 min swim(probably swim) and then ill be surfing and windsurfing on top of that but its too irregular to count on it as a days excersise

so here are the stacks im looking at, advice pleassssseeeee

http://www.myprotein.co.uk/products/24/7_muscle_stack1

http://www.myprotein.co.uk/products/lean_muscle_stack

http://www.myprotein.co.uk/products/beach_body_bundle

dont buy a stack unless you need evrythng in it

buy wat u need

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,081 ✭✭✭LeixlipRed

Hi guys, just looking for some advice. Bought some whey protein and I just want to know how much to take and when to take it. Instructions say 40g (1 scoop) 1-3 times a day, once 30 mins before training. I lift 3 times a week, cardio 3 times a week and one rest day usually. Should I be taking the same amount every day or what?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,032 ✭✭✭dave80

LeixlipRed wrote: »
    Hi guys, just looking for some advice. Bought some whey protein and I just want to know how much to take and when to take it. Instructions say 40g (1 scoop) 1-3 times a day, once 30 mins before training. I lift 3 times a week, cardio 3 times a week and one rest day usually. Should I be taking the same amount every day or what?

I take it twice a day, wit breakfast and before training, yes take the same amount each day

Theres a few factors:
    Your diet,how much protein you eat
    How much protien you need

Shakes are just convienint, i would only suggest having them after training and maybe with breakfast, get lots of meat and veg into ya.

Just a bit of advice, most supp companies suggest you use x amount of the product so you use it up quicker, you shouldnt need whey 3 times a day.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,462 ✭✭✭cardio,shoot me

the timing on protein shakes isnt really that important.

i dont necessarily take them before or after training, or with any meal in paticular.

i take them when i feel my protein count is low, when my calorie count is low ill throw peanut butter, ice cream and porridge oats into it,

taking a shake directly after training isnt as important as its made out to be. i have one with my dinner as its when im sitting down and not in a rush.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,818 ✭✭✭Inspector Coptoor

found this website.

Awesome range of products and prices are pretty good too.

http://www.prozis.ie/advanced_search_result.php?q=Optimum+Nutrition&where_radio=prozis&image.x=0&image.y=0&osCsid=f3fh9akjordg6cnben0gkbutb4

anyone ever order from them before?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 535 ✭✭✭Westwood

MyProtien Launching an Irish website soon shipping only €5.95 & 10% discount voucher off your next 5 orders on the new website :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

found this website.

Awesome range of products and prices are pretty good too.

http://www.prozis.ie/advanced_search_result.php?q=Optimum+Nutrition&where_radio=prozis&image.x=0&image.y=0&osCsid=f3fh9akjordg6cnben0gkbutb4

anyone ever order from them before?

The prices seem ok but the reductions they are claiming are huge, I've never ever seen a 2.5kg pot of ON advertised for 95e which is the previous price according to them. I'd be weary of the site for that reason alone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,692 ✭✭✭Jarren

I dug up old thread on another forum about prozis.uk http://www.uk-muscle.co.uk/vitamins-minerals-herbs/74468-have-just-ordered-animal-pak-animal-omega-animal-flex.html

Prices are very good actually (too good to be true I think:( )

After MP fiasco I'd be looking for the best possible value

So I decided to order this today

http://www.prozis.ie/product_info.php?cPath=29_262&products_id=8706&osCsid=rs9h71p7knvod8q8va6pb54091

By the end of the next week I should know if the website is real or fake

• Closed Accounts Posts: 90 ✭✭Get0fix

I dug up old thread on another forum about prozis.uk http://www.uk-muscle.co.uk/vitamins-minerals-herbs/74468-have-just-ordered-animal-pak-animal-omega-animal-flex.html

http://www.prozis.ie/product_info.php?cPath=29_262&products_id=8706&osCsid=rs9h71p7knvod8q8va6pb54091

Savings quoted on that site are absolute rubbish!
    Just compared their prices with what I pay for on www.universalnutrition.ie and they are the same, plus UN gives free delivery to any order over 50 Euro in Ireland. I havn't found better value for "products+delivery" than universal nutrition. Use them every time.

Get0fix wrote: »
    Savings quoted on that site are absolute rubbish!
    Just compared their prices with what I pay for on www.universalnutrition.ie and they are the same, plus UN gives free delivery to any order over 50 Euro in Ireland. I havn't found better value for "products+delivery" than universal nutrition. Use them every time.

Thanks for the heads up..

I won't be ordering from prozis.ie then:)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,430 ✭✭✭✭El Guapo!

Hi all,
    I'm just looking for a bit of advice on what to buy. Theres so much choice and I'm lost about what to get.
    I was originally going with Promax from maximuscle but I've heard arguments for and against it and dunno what to believe.
    What can I get thts similar to this and isnt gonna break the bank? Also I dunno if ordering online is an option.
    By the way my goal is to add lean mass-- I dont want to lash on weight while building muscle. So what would be the best to get?

Thanks in advance :)

Dean09 wrote: »
    Hi all,
    I'm just looking for a bit of advice on what to buy. Theres so much choice and I'm lost about what to get.
    I was originally going with Promax from maximuscle but I've heard arguments for and against it and dunno what to believe.
    What can I get thts similar to this and isnt gonna break the bank? Also I dunno if ordering online is an option.
    By the way my goal is to add lean mass-- I dont want to lash on weight while building muscle. So what would be the best to get?

Thanks in advance :)

Order online, you will save money.

That Promax stuff is very very expensive, its just a whey supplement at the end of the day, and no matter what the marketing says it does the same job as any other brand.

Why cant you order online?

Heres some suggestions, that are good value and wotn break the bank:
    (P.S. Buy the bigger tubs and you will save more)

http://www.predatornutrition.com/pd-whey-isolate-5kg-600g-creatine-free.cfm

http://www.predatornutrition.com/pd-90-protein-5kg.cfm

http://www.predatornutrition.com/pd-instant-whey-5lb.cfm

http://www.bodybuildingwarehouse.co.uk/bodybuilding-warehouse-premium-whey-protein---4kg-4008-p.asp

Your paying sumtin like 35 quid for 908g of protein.

For the same price you can get 2.5kg of protein.

Maximuscle is just marketing, shop around.

Ok

The latest update about www.prozis.ie

Last week I sent them an email asking them couple of questions(wanted to suss them out if they are real or not) using this webpage:

http://www.prozis.ie/contacts.php?osCsid=rqka845duh6ot809u2i7bjkmo7

The reply I received was

Dear Mr ...........

We would like to thank you for contacting us. Please visit our social network in order to verify that we have other customers. We guarantee quality in products and service.

Thanking you in advance.

Best regards,

http://twitter.com/prozis.pt

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Prozis-Portugal/133850396669

http://prozis.hi5.com

Customer Support Department

Ticket Details
    ===================
    Ticket ID: SBD-737024
    Department: ProzisUK
    Priority: Low

So I decided to follow through and check the links given

I established that they are genuine company and I put the order through
    See attachment

I got order confirmation straight away after paying by cc

On Monday evening I received this email from them

Dear customer,

Attached we send you the bill regarding to order nº PRZ/280311.

Your tracking number is: ...........
    Click the link bellow to track your order.
    http://www.dhl.com

We hope we have fulfilled your best expectations.

In case you are not fully satisfied with our service, please, let us know the reason why. Send us an e-mail to: unhappy@prozis.com. Our Customer Service manager will take care of it. We appreciate your help, as we are always trying to improve our services.

f, after analyzing your complaint, we find that we have not fulfiled our service with the excellence that we guarantee, you will be given up to 1000 Prozispoints (equivalent to 10EUR).

Yours sincerely,

Prozis Team

Attention: Please, do not answer this e-mail. You can contact us through: info@prozis.com.

What I found strange was that I din't complain (only asked them few questions) but they decided to give 10 euros off the next order(happy days)

next I checked the item status using www.dhl.com

Result Summary

Waybill: 1423260451
    Signed for by: ..........
    Tuesday, October 12, 2010 at 13:21
    Origin Service Area: OPORTO - PORTUGAL
    Destination Service Area: DUBLIN - IRELAND, REPUBLIC OF
    Tuesday, October 12, 2010 Location Time
    14 Delivered - Signed for by : ANN W DUBLIN - IRELAND, REPUBLIC OF 13:21

13 With delivery courier DUBLIN - IRELAND, REPUBLIC OF 08:05

12 Arrived at Delivery Facility in DUBLIN - IRELAND, REPUBLIC OF DUBLIN - IRELAND, REPUBLIC OF 06:32

11 Arrived at Sort Facility DUBLIN - IRELAND, REPUBLIC OF DUBLIN - IRELAND, REPUBLIC OF 06:14

10 Departed Facility in EAST MIDLANDS - UK EAST MIDLANDS - UK 04:57

9 Transferred through EAST MIDLANDS - UK EAST MIDLANDS - UK 04:54

8 Departed Facility in LEIPZIG - GERMANY LEIPZIG - GERMANY 03:27

7 Processed at LEIPZIG - GERMANY LEIPZIG - GERMANY 01:40

6 Arrived at Sort Facility LEIPZIG - GERMANY LEIPZIG - GERMANY 01:27

Monday, October 11, 2010 Location Time
    5 Departed Facility in OPORTO - PORTUGAL OPORTO - PORTUGAL 20:32

4 Transferred through OPORTO - PORTUGAL OPORTO - PORTUGAL 20:31

3 Processed at OPORTO - PORTUGAL OPORTO - PORTUGAL 19:17

2 Arrived at Sort Facility OPORTO - PORTUGAL OPORTO - PORTUGAL 19:10

1 Shipment picked up OPORTO - PORTUGAL 18:50

So apparently the parcel has arrived

so again

Happy days:)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,924 ✭✭✭shoutman

Hey
    Does anyone know of a product/box that you can store supplements for the gym?

Let me try to explain:
    I usually use pulse 30 mins before the gym, and then protein/recovory supplement after the gym. I don't like having to carry around the bulky tubs which these usually come in.
    Also I only carry one shaker with me too.

So does anybody know of a simple device to help with my problem?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,371 ✭✭✭john_cappa

shoutman wrote: »
    Hey
    Does anyone know of a product/box that you can store supplements for the gym?

Let me try to explain:
    I usually use pulse 30 mins before the gym, and then protein/recovory supplement after the gym. I don't like having to carry around the bulky tubs which these usually come in.
    Also I only carry one shaker with me too.

So does anybody know of a simple device to help with my problem?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dz3Ktbatlp0&feature=fvw

Advertisement