Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Supplements

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭mindaugelis

df1985 wrote: »
    im completely new to the whole supplements and protein thing. my exercise consists of weight-training and quite a bit of cardio. im looking to lose weight/bodyfat whilst building muscle, ive had relative success but feel like ive hit a brickwall. a few friends of mine have said i should be on protein shakes but they didnt seem to know what they were talking about that much.

considering im looking to lose fat but gain muscle will protein shakes benefit this? i see loads of guys in the gym who drink the shakes and are big and broad but also have bellies on them. im not looking to gain much in size, more so tone up now.

very confused but thanks if you can help!

fix your diet at first :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭Strongbow10

hey lads,

im looking for a good protein supplement, im thinking of ordering the 5lbs tub of strawberry whey protein, can anyone recommend this???

Also i'm looking at a good fat burning supplement, need to get a little ripped for boxing. can anyone recommend a good fat burning supplement? is this ok to be used in conjunction with a protein supplement at same time?

Obviously im gunna be working out aswell alot.

Any help on recommending a fat burner would be great. I think im gunna go for the whey protein above unless someone convinces me otherwise as i have heard its good.

is the supplement factory the best way to go??

thanks a million

can anyone gimme a heads up on this at all?

greatly appreciate the advice

• Registered Users Posts: 2,398 ✭✭✭columok

im looking for a good protein supplement, im thinking of ordering the 5lbs tub of strawberry whey protein, can anyone recommend this???

My protein (myprotein.co.uk) is great for whey. you can go for concentrate or isolate. I find whey concentrates in general don't agree with me but 99% of people find them fine.

Bit suspect about fat burners- not sure if the benefit outweighs the cost and potential sideeffects. Much better to clean up your diet (eat lots of meat, fish, veggies, fruit, eggs and skip the breads, sugars, pastas) which will be cheaper and better for you...

columok wrote: »
    My protein (myprotein.co.uk) is great for whey. you can go for concentrate or isolate. I find whey concentrates in general don't agree with me but 99% of people find them fine.

Bit suspect about fat burners- not sure if the benefit outweighs the cost and potential sideeffects. Much better to clean up your diet (eat lots of meat, fish, veggies, fruit, eggs and skip the breads, sugars, pastas) which will be cheaper and better for you...

what are the potential side affects????

• Registered Users Posts: 3,008 ✭✭✭colly10

can anyone gimme a heads up on this at all?

greatly appreciate the advice

Ye go with the whey, as for the fat burner, train harder and clean up your diet. What weight do you fight at?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,398 ✭✭✭columok

You're putting a chemical into your system that doesn't belong there to burn fat. There will be side effects. Most pharma drugs are like hammers- they hit the thing you wan't but additionally have a bunch of other effects.

AFAIK a lot of fat burners are thermogenic (google-it!!!) which has its own bunch of side-effects.

A simpler, more effective, cheaper and healthier way to burn fat off your system is to go low-carb/high protein for 4-6 weeks and watch the fat drop right off.

columok wrote: »
    You're putting a chemical into your system that doesn't belong there to burn fat. There will be side effects. Most pharma drugs are like hammers- they hit the thing you wan't but additionally have a bunch of other effects.

AFAIK a lot of fat burners are thermogenic (google-it!!!) which has its own bunch of side-effects.

A simpler, more effective, cheaper and healthier way to burn fat off your system is to go low-carb/high protein for 4-6 weeks and watch the fat drop right off.

im looking at Carnitine as the fat burner. im not going to be using it long term by any means. I wont be exceeding recommended dosage either under any circumstances.

colly10 wrote: »
    Ye go with the whey, as for the fat burner, train harder and clean up your diet. What weight do you fight at?

im a light welter, but have been walking around at 158llbs. I need to be 140llbs on the button.

My diet is pretty clean as it is, the fat burner is not a long term option at all and i will not be exceeding the recommended dosage under any circumstances

• Registered Users Posts: 3,787 ✭✭✭Jayob10

colly10 wrote: »
    Getting down to 140 from that is impressive, I take it you have no excess fat at the weigh in though. Ye don't find yourself weak at 140 though no? Like if your diets really good and your training hard and struggling to make weight then would you not be better off moving up to 147? I feel alot better fighting closer to my own weight myself

its not that impressive, its only 18 pounds!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,141 ✭✭✭imported_guy

Jayob10 wrote: »
    its not that impressive, its only 18 pounds!
    it is if he already has a low b.f %, he prolly does lose alot of muscle though.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 98 ✭✭BuyingorSelling

Whats the best recommendations for a Whey Protein. Have been using nutrition X but find it gives me a bit of constipation with plenty of gas :eek:
    Does everyone suffer from these side effects or should i try different brands?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭BigDuffman

Just discovered 100% OATS & WHEY from ON....jaysus where have has it been all my life! Great product!!! The choc tastes amazing ideal for elevenses!

• Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭cos!!

Sorry if this has been asked a million times!back into working out, going to start back on protein, its been a about 2 years since last using it!I've never used holland and barrets "body fortress" and just wondering if its any use?I've read a lot that "whey is whey" but iv also read that its not so good and "you get what you pay for" so just looking for your opinions?or if you could direct me towards a good quality protein?

Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭mindaugelis

optimun nutrition gold standard whey protein

• Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭cos!!

Cool cheers for that!Will check it out!Any good retailers for it?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,008 ✭✭✭colly10

Body Fortress doesn't mix well or taste good to me, I like Syntha 6 myself but it has more cals than the gold standard whey, the gold standard whey is highly rated anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 384 ✭✭connollys

Anyone have an opinion on Nutrition X - Big Whey, have they used it, whats it like etc?

Looking for a low fat, low carb whey product.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,114 ✭✭✭corkcomp

i use body fortress . its fine IMO but it does leave an after taste

• Closed Accounts Posts: 98 ✭✭BuyingorSelling

connollys wrote: »
    Anyone have an opinion on Nutrition X - Big Whey, have they used it, whats it like etc?

Looking for a low fat, low carb whey product.

I use it. First protein dont know if they are all like this but gave me a bit of constipation and not great odors!!! It could be just me but im going to change after this tub is up

• Registered Users Posts: 5,272 ✭✭✭Deedsie

Hi i need a little advice about whey protein and supplements.

I have purchased ON Strawberry flavour Gold Standard 100% Whey, MP LGlutamine & Creatine.
    To be honest I havent used them. I am not sure where to fit them in to my diet, what to take them with, what they actually do.
    I take 1 scoop of protein Whey in the shakes with skimmed milk and some Glucose after i lift on a Monday and Wednesday.

I am 182 Pounds in weight/83Kg. So i should be taking in 183grams of protein on training days or everyday?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

Not being able to sleep and being constantly on edge...possibly.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,238 ✭✭✭Esse85

Deedsie wrote: »

I have purchased ON Strawberry flavour Gold Standard 100% Whey, MP LGlutamine & Creatine.
    To be honest I havent used them. I am not sure where to fit them in to my diet, what to take them with, what they actually do.
    I take 1 scoop of protein Whey in the shakes with skimmed milk and some Glucose after i lift on a Monday and Wednesday.

I am 182 Pounds in weight/83Kg. So i should be taking in 183grams of protein on training days or everyday?
    Why the hell did you buy them so??

• Registered Users Posts: 2,800 ✭✭✭The Guvnor

Deedsie wrote: »

Hi Mate,

Supplements are great but they are what they are a 'supplement' to your daily diet.

As to your protein intake it should be everyday and in an ideal world spread fairly evenly over 5-6 meals per day.

Some say 2g per lb per day which would leave you at 364grams required per day.

What I like to do is settle on 1.5grams which would be 273grams. Aim for this as in all likely hood you will fall a little shy but will still be comfortably over 1 gram per lb per day.

Lets say over the course of a day you consumed 400 grams of lean meat like chicken, that's about 100grams Protein. Let's say 1litre of milk, bread and other 'evil':D carb sources add 60grams then take 100grams of whey per day in two shakes and this should add another 75grams.

Grand total 235grams per day.

Defo take a shake after a workout and at that time every day if no workout on that day and I don't know take the other one mid morning or similar.

Best of luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,272 ✭✭✭Deedsie

Esse85 wrote: »
    Why the hell did you buy them so??

Based on advice i received at the time. Advice long since forgotten.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Grorts

Hi,I was wondering if there would be a market for Animal Snak protein bars, a box of 16 for €30 each? I mite purchase in bulk if people are interested, i really want them for myself but its just too expensive but if i buy in bulk i can get them cheap(cheaper than anywhere i've seen)
    let me know.
    thanks

just an update on a supp that was discussed a few months back. "beta alanine" - it REALLY works well, both for cardio and lifting .. its hard to describe but it can actually work too well, i.e. doms after a session are crazy. it has one annoying side effect though, gives an all over itchy / tingling feeling for about an hour after taking it

• Registered Users Posts: 4,541 ✭✭✭Davei141

corkcomp wrote: »
    just an update on a supp that was discussed a few months back. "beta alanine" - it REALLY works well, both for cardio and lifting .. its hard to describe but it can actually work too well, i.e. doms after a session are crazy. it has one annoying side effect though, gives an all over itchy / tingling feeling for about an hour after taking it

Thats on sale on myprotein 33% off the caps

Davei141 wrote: »
    Thats on sale on myprotein 33% off the caps

nice1, im goin to place an order.. i have loads left but 33%?:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Munsterlover

missmaw wrote: »
    Glanbia and Carberry have both released their own Supplement ranges in recent months. I dont know the exact name of the glanbia product but Carberry have released Kinetica sports. They are 100% irish and im assuming the same goes for Glanbia. We sell Kinetica and it tastes unreal also, i have friends who have tried them and they find them good quality. I have also seen it been sold in Evergreens on Shop St as well

Kinetica does taste good but it played havoc with my insides. Took the choc whey and spent the night on the toilet. Horrible horrible experience so i will never touch it again. I'm going back to ON 100% gold which is now an irish company.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,031 ✭✭✭Cravez

Thinking about putting an order in from myprotein, can anyone have any recommendations on flavours for the True Whey? Was half thinking of either Banana Cream, Toffee Fudge or Cookies and Cream. So any feedback on these flavours is much appreciated

Advertisement