Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Supplements

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭deadlybuzzman

Just found this http://www.olympushealth.com/olympus-health-premium-protein-5kg.html?reviews#reviews

Thats a seriously seriously cheap price but looking at the ingredients, soy is listed but from the amino acid profile is there any way to get an idea how much soy is in it?

Amino Acid - Per 100g Protein
    Isoleucine 4.05
    Leucine 7.50
    Lysine 6.27
    Methionine 1.38
    Phenylalanine 4.78
    Threonine 3.45
    Tryptophan 1.01
    Valine 4.18
    Alanine 3.88
    Arginine 6.80
    Aspartic Acid 10.94
    Cysteine 1.40
    Glutamic Acid 18.40
    Glycine 9.82
    Histidine 2.42
    Proline 4.90
    Serine 5.12
    Tyrosine 3.70

• Registered Users Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭RidleyRider

Just found this http://www.olympushealth.com/olympus-health-premium-protein-5kg.html?reviews#reviews

Thats a seriously seriously cheap price but looking at the ingredients, soy is listed but from the amino acid profile is there any way to get an idea how much soy is in it?

Amino Acid - Per 100g Protein
    Isoleucine 4.05
    Leucine 7.50
    Lysine 6.27
    Methionine 1.38
    Phenylalanine 4.78
    Threonine 3.45
    Tryptophan 1.01
    Valine 4.18
    Alanine 3.88
    Arginine 6.80
    Aspartic Acid 10.94
    Cysteine 1.40
    Glutamic Acid 18.40
    Glycine 9.82
    Histidine 2.42
    Proline 4.90
    Serine 5.12
    Tyrosine 3.70

Mentioned it myself in the off topic a few weeks back and the soy content was also mentioned.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,159 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

It's 4th on the list so would be a max of 25% from soy. Probably lower though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,371 ✭✭✭john_cappa

Mellor wrote: »
    It's 4th on the list so would be a max of 25% from soy. Probably lower though.

Common misconception that companies prey on. Ingredients do have to display ingredients according to size however within the brackets of the blend part they don't so the soy could be the biggest. Not saying it is but being 4th on the list within the blend means jack unfortunately ).

Crazy rule.

john_cappa wrote: »
    Common misconception that companies prey on. Ingredients do have to display ingredients according to size however within the brackets of the blend part they don't so the soy could be the biggest. Not saying it is but being 4th on the list within the blend means jack unfortunately ).

Crazy rule.

That's what I was thinking too hence I was wondering would someone in the know have an idea from the amino acid profile how bulked out it is with soy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 428 ✭✭Paddywiggum

That's what I was thinking too hence I was wondering would someone in the know have an idea from the amino acid profile how bulked out it is with soy.

unless youve an intolerance to soy, if your using this as a 'supplement' to diet then its good value.

unless youve an intolerance to soy, if your using this as a 'supplement' to diet then its good value.

I'd rather spend my money on whey and avoid soy as I've read enough to not have confidence that it doesnt negatively effect the male endocrine system.

• Registered Users Posts: 428 ✭✭Paddywiggum

I'd rather spend my money on whey and avoid soy as I've read enough to not have confidence that it doesnt negatively effect the male endocrine system.

yup there's def studies out there that could lead to concern, but from personal experience i went through 9kg soy isolate last summer on low carb, found it very effective. was from Oneon.co.uk.

this year i cut with Nutrisport pea isolate, again very good.

Imo if powders are a supplement only, which to me would be 25% or less of protein in diet, then the difference is negligible.

but i would think this particular one is more than 50% soy, low price suggests it.

yup there's def studies out there that could lead to concern, but from personal experience i went through 9kg soy isolate last summer on low carb, found it very effective. was from Oneon.co.uk.

this year i cut with Nutrisport pea isolate, again very good.

Imo if powders are a supplement only, which to me would be 25% or less of protein in diet, then the difference is negligible.

but i would think this particular one is more than 50% soy, low price suggests it.

I go through about 5kg of whey a month so its a pretty significant part of my diet, so I would have quiet a bit in my system on any given day.
    Yeah when I seen the price the old adage came to mind that if something looks too good to be true then it probably is :rolleyes:

Not to mention having glycine as a seperate ingredient to artificially inflate protein content...

• Advertisement

Not to mention having glycine as a seperate ingredient to artificially inflate protein content...

Sneaky feckers-apparently its a common trick with processed meats too. Manufacturers add soy as a cheap way to bump up the protein content

Not a supp but diced steak pieces are 1.74 per 400 g in lldl. Very cheap and good quality meat for casserole etc.

Just cleared the fridge in my local. Only 12 packets but will be back tomorrow for more!!!

Not a supp but diced steak pieces are 1.74 per 400 g in lldl. Very cheap and good quality meat for casserole etc.

Just cleared the fridge in my local. Only 12 packets but will be back tomorrow for more!!!

Brilliant timing! Im just about to go do the weeks shopping, plus Im only after getting a slow cooker and Im making lots of chili with round steak

• Registered Users Posts: 365 ✭✭ColmH81

Apples and carrots, if you cant lose weight while eating your fill of these then you dont need to lose any more weight.... or you're actually a rabbit

Hahaha...

• Registered Users Posts: 9,504 ✭✭✭runawaybishop

ColmH81 wrote: »
    Anyone got any suggestions for appetite suppressants .. Ha.. Harder I train, hungrier I am.. Fat b#stard...

Drink more water.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭Zombienosh

Just took the plunge and made my first order with TPW

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,221 ✭✭✭A_Sober_Paddy

Zombienosh wrote: »
    Just took the plunge and made my first order with TPW

TPW?

TPW?

The protein warehouse.. I believe..

The Protein Works
    Referral code for free proteins - ph17653

• Registered Users Posts: 4,016 ✭✭✭Jofspring

Just a heads up lads, Elverys online are doing 25% off sports nutrition for anyone interested. You can pick up in store then after ordering online. Optimum Nutrition 908g Gold Standard Whey was 37.95 and online is 28.46.

• Advertisement

Tried the ON Platinum Pre...Didn't really feel much off, didn't seems to offer me much, think i'll stick with Craze(still have 1/2 a tub:D)

Tried the ON Platinum Pre...Didn't really feel much off, didn't seems to offer me much, think i'll stick with Craze(still have 1/2 a tub:D)

In really hoping there's somewhere still selling Craze.. I'm running out..

The version of PRE is mad different from the US one isn't it?

Oh really? Sure on the ON Irish site they don't seem to have it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭discus

Drink more water.

Glutamine powder. 1 teaspoon in a glass of water. My sister and I were taking it for other reasons, and couldn't figure out why we weren't hungry. After looking it up online, we realised it was potentially the glutamine, and took it out of our diets. Took a few weeks to figure out though!

Yeah sure it was out over there ages ago, were stricter on what ingredients are allowed in supplements compared to the states.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

how would people rate this for someone who doesnt eat alot of fruit & veg?

http://ie.myprotein.com/sports-nutrition/superfood-xs/10530284.html

ColmH81 wrote: »
    In really hoping there's somewhere still selling Craze.. I'm running out..

http://www.proteinsdepot.ie/driven-sports-craze-performance-fuel-238g.html

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,221 ✭✭✭Ugo Monye spacecraft experience

What is that Craze stuff like. Never really ventured far away from protein/creatine but I've good routine going at the moment so wouldn't mind trying something new! Any recommendations

Goals include hypertrophy and losing that fecking bottom belly

Advertisement