Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Supplements

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,094 ✭✭✭SpaceCowb0y

Hi all,
    I've gotten to the point now where the weights/programs are getting quite hard, and pushing through the workout is getting more and more difficult, so my question is would it be majorly beneficial to me to also start on Creatine?

I am eager to gain size and strength but am also not prepared to put my health at risk in the immediate or long term to do so. I've read such conflicting information about Creatine all over the place, and talking to people in the know doesn't really help either as they all contradict each other.

Also need info on dosage, obviously directions come with the product but some experts around the net recommend 20-25g of saturation for the first 5 days and then 5-10 grams daily from then on for 6-8 weeks then start the cycle again. What do you guys think?

Lastly I'm not sure whether to go with the powder or the capsules. The capsules save me having to make another shake alongside my whey which saves time and effort but means dosage isn't customisable. Thoughts?

I'm heading into town tomorrow to that BioTech shop in the Ilac centre so would appreciate any info asap. Thanks in advance.

Watch these videos!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vMY73Pqk-pg&feature=fvwrel

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nmLLSehPe1M&feature=related

Get yourself a good quality creatine monohydrate, something like:
    http://www.myprotein.com/ie/products/creapure

high quality german crepure and buy some dextrose sugar for about 2 euro in tesco!

You dont need to do a bulk phase (10 - 20g a day), you will get the ame results over a longer period if u take 5g a day for 3 wks and continue to do so!

As for making an extra shake, why bother? Just throw your creatine and dextrose and whatever else you want in with your whey PWO!biggrin.gif

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭Degsy

g'em wrote: »
    There's journals full of peer-reviewed, verified, scientific studies on a variety of sportsmen and women that have documented quite the opposite to your personal experience.

Creatine works, people just a) get waaaay too bogged down in the myth that is 'loading', b) expect it to be some miracle supplement that can somehow out perform a crappy diet and bad training and c) expect too much from it even when they are doing it right.

edit: or as Hanley so eloquently put it, b*llox :)

Well i personally dont think it works,at least not to the extent that justifies anything like its price tag.

think it,like most supplements is a scam aimed at entry-level bicep-curlers who expect to pile weight on with three meals a day,ten mins in the gym and a whole heap of expensive rubbish.

Now,Miss Moderator..if *i* stuck the word "bollocks" onto the end of a post i'd expect a rap on the knuckles from your good self about etiquette and tone of voice...everybody is entitled to thier opinion..i'm just trying to save people some money.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,662 ✭✭✭marathonic

Degsy wrote: »
    Well i personally dont think it works,at least not to the extent that justifies anything like its price tag.

It's price tag from myProtein is €21.84 including delivery for 1kg - and that's using myProteins new 'paddy prices'.

A kilo is 200 servings so, if you take it daily, that's over half a years supply.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 20,817 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

Now,Miss Moderator..if *i* stuck the word "bollocks" onto the end of a post i'd expect a rap on the knuckles from your good self about etiquette and tone of voice...everybody is entitled to thier opinion..i'm just trying to save people some money.

Enough of the back seat modding, if you don't like something then report it.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Registered Users Posts: 2,800 ✭✭✭The Guvnor

Creatine works at different levels for different people.

However I can see both sides of the coin here - if you hear how good something is - expectations go up and most things never live up to the hype much like movies etc.:)

Creatine is affordable nowadays - realistically a kilo will last 3-4 months never half a year! €5-6 a month.

If anyone is a non responder my advice would be try more than one brand and see if there is any difference.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,688 ✭✭✭grimloch

Someone nominate the cheapest place to get Scivation Xtend.

Best I found is here:

http://www.universalnutrition.ie/viewproduct/164

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭Limousine Fred

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,419 ✭✭✭tommy21

Just wondering if anyone has any experience of Holland and Barret's Whey Protein (Precision Engineered) and if its any good (obviously as a support to a proper diet etc.) in terms of protein content? Essentially I want something that will supplement my protein intake as I start off on a weights programme, so an endorsement of this or recommendation of any other would be most welcome.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,432 ✭✭✭df1985

Mick990 wrote: »
    Hey peeps,

I just bought Nutrition x pro matrix as i'm trying to lose weight and just looking on the directions it says to take three shakes , one before training then one before your next two meals . Just wondering is this the proper way to use it as it kinda seems a bit excessive or if anyone else has used it differently ??

Any help here would be greatly appreciated :)

I have 2 a day, with 2 big scoops. one round lunchime and another straight after the gym. hope ye got the mint choc one, tastes pretty good just with water.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭d'Oracle

tommy21 wrote: »
    Just wondering if anyone has any experience of Holland and Barret's Whey Protein (Precision Engineered) and if its any good (obviously as a support to a proper diet etc.) in terms of protein content? Essentially I want something that will supplement my protein intake as I start off on a weights programme, so an endorsement of this or recommendation of any other would be most welcome.

In terms of protein content there are better powders out there.
    I believe this because I stopped buying it and then bought one with better protein content according to the packaging, which is the plain whey powder from Myprotein.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 47 yesbuddie

Hi Guys...So I'm buying my first batch of Protein..Wondering can I get tips on which is a good brand to get?? Where is the best place to buy it?

Cheers

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭Degsy

The Guvnor wrote: »
    If anyone is a non responder my advice would be try more than one brand and see if there is any difference.

Or just up thier food intake and forget about it..

• Registered Users Posts: 39,042 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Price tag, It's creatine one of the cheapest supps out there, like 10c serving or something. How much difference did you expect for 10c a pop? Surely anysort of impact is worth it.

d'Oracle wrote: »
    In terms of protein content there are better powders out there.
    I believe this because I stopped buying it and then bought one with better protein content according to the packaging, which is the plain whey powder from Myprotein.

Thanks for the response - yeah having looked at the protein content its poorer than many others so really they are all about the same price if they had equal protein. Will look out for Myprotein so, cheers.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,662 ✭✭✭RMD

yesbuddie wrote: »
    Hi Guys...So I'm buying my first batch of Protein..Wondering can I get tips on which is a good brand to get?? Where is the best place to buy it?

Cheers

Go with Myprotein. Cheap and cheerful protein, does exactly what you want. Protein is protein, these super products that Maximuscle and the likes claim to produce are overpriced bull, so just go with something cheap and it will still do the same job. You can get 5 Kilos unflavoured for 53 quid, that will last you nearly 3 months assuming you take 2 scoops a day. Go with unflavoured, it's the best value and it isn't to bad. Just mix it 200-300ml of milk and down it.

http://www.myprotein.com/ie/products/impact-whey-protein

RMD wrote: »
    Go with Myprotein. Cheap and cheerful protein, does exactly what you want. Protein is protein, these super products that Maximuscle and the likes claim to produce are overpriced bull, so just go with something cheap and it will still do the same job. You can get 5 Kilos unflavoured for 53 quid, that will last you nearly 3 months assuming you take 2 scoops a day. Go with unflavoured, it's the best value and it isn't to bad. Just mix it 200-300ml of milk and down it.

Thanks, think I Might go with this too and test it out - got to be better than Holland and Barret's Precision Engineered! I presume the website has been ok for you in the past?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,920 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

Thanks, think I Might go with this too and test it out - got to be better than Holland and Barret's Precision Engineered! I presume the website has been ok for you in the past?

If you find the unflavoured whey bland, you can buy flavdrops from myprotein as well. Never tried them myself but I remember someone on nutrition and diet section use to put them in their oats.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭Dathai

The flavdrops are quite good. You've to be careful how many you use or it will be too sweet.

RMD wrote: »

Cool Thanks for that. Just 2 questions :p

Should I have it with water or milk? I was always under the impression that I should use water instead of milk. I remember someone saying I could put on weight if I use milk.

Also following on from that, is there any danger of putting on weight though using protein.

Finally, my sister is using a supplement from Holland & Barrett. She said it breaks up fat or something. Should I look at other supplements? Thinking of taking Omega 3 & get the necessary fats in !

Should I have it with water or milk? I was always under the impression that I should use water instead of milk. I remember someone saying I could put on weight if I use milk.

Also following on from that, is there any danger of putting on weight though using protein.

Finally, my sister is using a supplement from Holland & Barrett. She said it breaks up fat or something. Should I look at other supplements? Thinking of taking Omega 3 & get the necessary fats in !

While I do not have any great understanding, here is a link someone gave me the other day that explains things a bit better in terms of diet http://www.liamrosen.com/fitness.html#part3

Milk is better to use with protein (whey) if you consider the extra protein it adds - you could use low-fat/skim if your worried about fat content.

Do you want to lose weight or gain muscle or both? I do not think it is so much about doing weights/cardio flat out while not eating as much, but rather doing weights/cardio and eating right.

More experiences posters please feel free to pick apart.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,662 ✭✭✭RMD

Myprotein is a great website IMO. I usually make a weight gain shake from their various products (Whey, Oats and Creatine). For 100 quid I can get 2 months worth of whey, 1 and a half months worth of oats (using 200g a day) and a couple of months worth of creatine. If I was to buy known brands such as ON Supermass, I'd pay 105-120 quid for roughly 1 months worth of stuff If I take 1 serving a day, even though they recommend 2. It all does the same job so it's not necessary to buy pre-made mixes from big brands.

Personally I take it with milk as I find it gives a better taste and texture. Use water if you're watching your calorie in take, if you're trying to put on weight use milk. Milk wont have some super weight effect though, it's 42 calories per 100ml so 250ml added to a shake is only 105 calories.

Weight is put on purely through calorie in take. You can take 5 scoops of whey a day and not put on weight, or take 1 scoop and be putting on huge amounts of weight. It's purely down to your diet, not the supplements. Cut out any shíte and eat clean, you wont put on weight if you eat right. That said though, to gain muscle your must eat over your maintenance intake of calories, 200-400 calories is the recommended amount. This will give you a rough idea, mine is 2550 so I generally try to eat 2850-3000 calories a day. http://www.freedieting.com/tools/calorie_calculator.htm

I wouldn't look to much into supplements to be honest, they'll help but they're not superdrugs. The most recommended 3 are usually Whey, Creatine and a Multivitamin. You can take others if you wish, but they're not necessary.

Thanks for the responses..

I actually have this "USN recovery Xcell" in the house. Its a sports recovery supplement that says a "blend of whey protein isolate, fast acting carbohydrates & nutrients for maximum muscle recovery"!

Would this be good to take as I want to increase my protein & 3 scoops (or 95g) of it is equal to 18.5g of protein.

Cheers :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭TommyKnocker

Thanks for the responses..

I actually have this "USN recovery Xcell" in the house. Its a sports recovery supplement that says a "blend of whey protein isolate, fast acting carbohydrates & nutrients for maximum muscle recovery"!

Would this be good to take as I want to increase my protein & 3 scoops (or 95g) of it is equal to 18.5g of protein.

Cheers :)

If 3 scoops (95g) is equal to only 18.5g of protein what is the Carb and Fat & total calorie content? 18.5g of protein from 95g of powder is not that big a return. YOu get a better protein return from a 130g tin of Tuna ;)

If 3 scoops (95g) is equal to only 18.5g of protein what is the Carb and Fat & total calorie content? 18.5g of protein from 95g of powder is not that big a return. YOu get a better protein return from a 130g tin of Tuna ;)

Carb is 69.2 & Fat is 0.2g...whats that like in terms of other protein supplements?

I'd say I will def go for protein shakes to be honest :D Just unsure if this one is good!

Oh it doesn't say what calories are in them? Any way I could calculate it?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭TommyKnocker

Carb is 69.2 & Fat is 0.2g...whats that like in terms of other protein supplements?

I'd say I will def go for protein shakes to be honest :D Just unsure if this one is good!

Oh it doesn't say what calories are in them? Any way I could calculate it?

Not what I would chose as a protein shake tbh as carb content si way too high for my liking and mostly all from sugars I'd bet.

As a rule of thumb, carbs provide 4 cals/g and protein also provides 4g/cal. So as there is minimal fat (which provides 9cals/g) content you can multply 95g by 4 to get 380 cals /95 gram serving. :eek::eek::eek:

I

Atrocious.

The Optimum Nutrition and MyProtein stuff is 23g+ of protein per 30g scoop.

Dathai wrote: »
    Atrocious.

Oh my..that is awful...looks like I'll be buy MyProtein then :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,189 ✭✭✭drdeadlift

Atrocious.

You are comparing apples and oranges.

Yes, clearly.

I suggested those two as the poster wanted to increase their protein intake (presumably) through the assistance of a supplement.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,189 ✭✭✭drdeadlift

Yes, clearly.

I suggested those two as the poster wanted to increase their protein intake (presumably) through the assistance of a supplement.

One extra scoup of weight gainer will do the trick presuming carbs and fats aren't being limited in the diet.

Advertisement