Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

AFT - Use your free webtexts from your mobile - costs a fraction of a cent per text!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭laoisfan

hi

as the subject says has anyone managed this? a mate of mine has a nokia 6300 and is on meteor. he still has to get his ISP apn activated but i was thinking he could at least use AFT with his GPRS settings.

any help would be appreciated.

--laoisfan

• Closed Accounts Posts: 233 ✭✭Pansy Potter

Has AFT stopped working on Vofafone? For over a month now I keep getting told "There was a problem sending your message" NOw and again in that time it has worked, but 9 times out of 10 it doesnt and I get charged 2c.
    Any ideas?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,665 ✭✭✭gary the great

Has AFT stopped working on Vofafone? For over a month now I keep getting told "There was a problem sending your message" NOw and again in that time it has worked, but 9 times out of 10 it doesnt and I get charged 2c.
    Any ideas?

Still works with meteor! I take it the phone companies aernt going to do anything about this are they, its been running so long now.

Are vodaphone the cheapest network to go with as regard to cost per text? How many free web texts do you get a month with them?
    Im thinking of making the change.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

Any ideas?
    i don't know if its stopped working but just so you know, you would be charged whether it worked or not. You're not being charged for the successful sending of a text, you're being charged for submitting the info to the aft server

edit:just tried it there and it worked no prob. I'd say its just the site is unreliable

laoisfan wrote:
    hi

as the subject says has anyone managed this? a mate of mine has a nokia 6300 and is on meteor. he still has to get his ISP apn activated but i was thinking he could at least use AFT with his GPRS settings.

any help would be appreciated.

--laoisfan
    first of all make sure he has the meteor settings on his phone, then see if you can find an option in the settings to activate default in all applications. Then make sure he has the gprs apn active too

can he access the internet

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 242 ✭✭Chaos_Path

i cant get AFT work on my nokia 6230i on O2 prepay. i always get message - failed to send message.
    i was able to download the jar file over gprs.. so i believe the gprs settings are correct.
    not sure what is the problem
    any help will be appreciated....

i got the same, though i have a nokia 6288. i can access wap etc and could download the .jar file.
    it keeps telling me problem sending message.
    anyone any tips?

Anyone know which network offers the best value for this program?
    How many free text a month do vodaphone offer and what do they charge per text compared to meteor?

Chaos_Path wrote:
    i got the same, though i have a nokia 6288. i can access wap etc and could download the .jar file.
    it keeps telling me problem sending message.
    anyone any tips?
    look for an option in the settings to use the default configuration in all applications

• Registered Users Posts: 590 ✭✭✭dal

Anyone know which network offers the best value for this program?
    How many free text a month do vodaphone offer and what do they charge per text compared to meteor?

Although you only get 250 free texts, O2 is definitely the best value for this program as there is no minimum fee for data transfer. This means that you can send about 8 texts for 1 cent.

I have just deleted and reinstalled AFT and it still tells me there was a Problem Sending Your Message. AFT had been working consistently well for months but now it rarely ever works. I don't think its the Vodafone site as I never have a problem sending webtexts from there. Any other ideas?
    I am using the .jar on a SE K800.

• Advertisement

dal wrote:
    Although you only get 250 free texts, O2 is definitely the best value for this program as there is no minimum fee for data transfer. This means that you can send about 8 texts for 1 cent.

Unfortunatly I only have the option of vodaphone or meteor. How do they compare? They both have 300 free webtexts, but how much do they cost?

Thats amazing value with O2

• Registered Users Posts: 7,476 ✭✭✭ardmacha

Thats amazing value with O2

Amazing value, but the website is so ropey that you can't always send a text.

Just a quick note to say that I made two small fixes to aft.

1 - For voipbuster, your phone number is now shown to the recipient instead of your username. This was a bug in the previous version.

2 - There was also a small bug where the indication of which account you used on the message sent screen was sometimes incorrect.

So the most current version is 1.3.3. If the above bugs did not bother you before there is no point upgrading as absolutely nothing else has changed.

I am now using voipbuster now instead of smsdiscount as it is currently cheaper (though who knows how long that will last for).

I ahve just deleted AFT and reinstalled version 1.3.3. It still wont work at all. It had been working without problem for months, but no it wont work any time. If I keep trying on the off chance that it will eventually work I end up spending more than if I had just send a normal text in the first place. It is not the fault of the Vodafone site as I can send webtexts whenever I want so it has to be with AFT. Anyone any clues?

Right, try this:
    In your browser enter the following url:

http://sms.donutsoft.net/sendsms.aspx?s=service&u=user&p=password&d=destination&m=message

replace the variables: service, user, password, destination and message to those that apply to you. You are vodafone so the service is v

Make sure, for the purposes of the test that the message is just one word.

example
    http://sms.donutsoft.net/sendsms.aspx?s=v&u=081234567&p=mypass&d=0035381234567&m=test1

So just to be clear, this is a test which doesn't involve the use of your phone. Tell me if this works and then get back to me

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,234 ✭✭✭Fresh Pots

I'm having a similar problem. bought a nokia 6300 today and downloaded the settings, activated them on all apps. still no look. We don't have to get the APN activated everytime we upgrade do we? i haven't even registered the upgrade either so thats unlikely!

I'm able to access the internet so its just something to do with aft.

Anyone have any advice for us?

Is nobody able to help??? :confused:

I'm going to go mad without aft!

dal wrote:
    Right, try this:
    In your browser enter the following url:

http://sms.donutsoft.net/sendsms.aspx?s=service&u=user&p=password&d=destination&m=message

replace the variables: service, user, password, destination and message to those that apply to you. You are vodafone so the service is v

Make sure, for the purposes of the test that the message is just one word.

example
    http://sms.donutsoft.net/sendsms.aspx?s=v&u=081234567&p=mypass&d=0035381234567&m=test1

So just to be clear, this is a test which doesn't involve the use of your phone. Tell me if this works and then get back to me

I tried that. If I entered the destination number as 086........ (not in international format) I got result 292, if I did it again I got 291, then 290... This corresponds to the number of remaining webtexts + 1. If I entered the destination number in international format i.e 0035386........ I get result -1.
    The 086 phone received all messages.
    When I then try AFT from the Voda 087 phone I get the usual there was a problem sending your message. Any ideas? Thanks Dal for taking the time.

anyone got aft working on a nokia 6300 or know why its not working, i've got all the settings and its set up properly, just doesn't want to send the messages.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

eh pardon my ignorance but wtf is AFT??? anyone?:confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,172 ✭✭✭1huge1

Does this programme work with 3?
    I downloaed it and when I opened it 3 wern't a option

Sorry but I wasn't going to go through 61 pages to see if it was already answered

1huge1 wrote:
    Does this programme work with 3?
    I downloaed it and when I opened it 3 wern't a option

Sorry but I wasn't going to go through 61 pages to see if it was already answered

well it does and it doesn't, you can't choose 3 because they do not offer their customers free webtexts, but if you set up an smsdiscount account you will be able to send messages for almost nothing.

foggy_lad wrote:
    eh pardon my ignorance but wtf is AFT??? anyone?:confused:
    Aft stands for almost free text, its an application you can use on your phone to send your free webtexts for a cent each.

theres a thread on here for it:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2054984709

I tried that. If I entered the destination number as 086........ (not in international format) I got result 292, if I did it again I got 291, then 290... This corresponds to the number of remaining webtexts + 1. If I entered the destination number in international format i.e 0035386........ I get result -1.
    The 086 phone received all messages.
    When I then try AFT from the Voda 087 phone I get the usual there was a problem sending your message. Any ideas? Thanks Dal for taking the time.
    -1 means that it hasn't worked, but it does seem to work if you don't use the international format (I assumed this would work, but maybe donutface has changed something on the server side).

So have you tried using aft (from your phone) but not using the international format?

Quote from Dal:

So have you tried using aft (from your phone) but not using the international
    format?

Yes I've tried it from the phone not using international format and still get the message 'There was a problem sending your message' I'm getting charged 2c (Vodafone) so it must be reaching the server(?) but won't go any further.

• Registered Users Posts: 461 ✭✭donutface

i havent changed anything on the server for a few months. It reaches the vodafone proxy and not any further id say is your problem. And yes youd still be charged then. You need to get the ISP access point settings sent to your phone from vodafone for it to work

donutface wrote:
    i havent changed anything on the server for a few months. It reaches the vodafone proxy and not any further id say is your problem. And yes youd still be charged then. You need to get the ISP access point settings sent to your phone from vodafone for it to work

I have checked my phone settings against those shown on the vodafone site and they appear to match. If my message is getting as far as your server, how is the problem then with my phone. I don't understand how that can be. If I have to get settings from vodafone, what do I ask for and if they ask me why what do I tell them?

• Registered Users Posts: 461 ✭✭donutface

tell them you want to use a java msn client and its not working, and on the site you read something about ISP GPRS settings.

Try texting the word 'test' (without quotes) to 123
    If your response is -5 messages left, you are getting through to the server, if you dont get -5, then your only getting to vodafones servers and not any further

Please note anyone else, this only works when vodafone is selected as the service provider

• Registered Users Posts: 6,172 ✭✭✭1huge1

Since I can't use this service with 3 as they don't do webtexts, I downloaded that smsdiscount application, my question is can you set it so that it appears to come from your number, otherwise its useless

• Advertisement

1huge1 wrote:
    Since I can't use this service with 3 as they don't do webtexts, I downloaded that smsdiscount application, my question is can you set it so that it appears to come from your number, otherwise its useless
    It wouldn't be useless, but yes, you can set it so that it comes from your number. Have you actually tried?

Advertisement