Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

AFT - Use your free webtexts from your mobile - costs a fraction of a cent per text!

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

Anybody having trouble with aft on o2 the last day or two?

I keep getting 'problem with message' when it tries to send. It won't even send to myself :(

I thought at first the messages were too long but even after 'increase message size' I still get the same error.

It was working grand about 2 days ago.

k750i on billpay.

• Registered Users Posts: 590 ✭✭✭dal

kaimera wrote:
    Anybody having trouble with aft on o2 the last day or two?

I keep getting 'problem with message' when it tries to send. It won't even send to myself :(

I thought at first the messages were too long but even after 'increase message size' I still get the same error.

It was working grand about 2 days ago.

k750i on billpay.
    It looks like the aft server is down.

Ah ok. Thanks for the quick reply. Any ideas on an uptime?

kaimera wrote:
    Ah ok. Thanks for the quick reply. Any ideas on an uptime?
    Unfortunately I have no idea. It's donutface's server.

The aft wiki is hosted on the same server so once the wiki is back up the service should be up as well. So keep checking this url:
    http://sms.donutsoft.net/wiki/

Cheers dal.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 461 ✭✭donutface

should all be up again, sorry im not using AFT a lot lately so i kinda rely on other people to bring these things to my attention

after the dedi expires sometime at the end of this month i dont think im going to participate in the running of AFT anymore due to the legal risk plus the fact that id like a job at meteor/o2/vodafone in the near future, and im unemployed right now and cant afford another 6 months

Ill be running it on my home box for a few months more maybe but for now I made a cut down version of AFT so anyone can put it on a windows server and run it, maybe soon ill port it to PHP. Hopefully dal can release a new client soon where you can type in your own server.

It really has been fun working on it and I hope the project will continue to live on

http://sms.donutsoft.net/cutdownaft.rar

oh and dont judge me on this code i know its absolutely terrible and can be cleaned up by so much but i hacked it away and had the attitude of if it aint broke dont fix it

• Registered Users Posts: 3,900 ✭✭✭Terrontress

Donut, can you leave it up for smsdiscount and voipbuster? They are paid services so it can be argued you are doing them a favour. They may even give you a kickback on the revenue you generate for them.

I love AFT. It is the only way I send texts on my 3 phone.

You may be unemployed but surely there is a way to make AFT pay you. After all, anyone topping up on sms or voip pays ?2.50 extra for their top up of ?10.

I believe that if polished up a bit that AFT could become a global phenomenon. Not just in Ireland. And you wouldn't need to go and work for those companies.

• Registered Users Posts: 38 keithmcgrane

Hi Donuface,

Sorry to hear you won't be involved with AFT in the future, a great application which has saved many people a lot of Money.
    If i wanted to run this from my own PC, what would be involved?
    Could you PM me with pointers of how to set it up, requirements and what not?? Many Thanks

K

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

It would actually be quite simple. One more input would need to be added to aft, the location of your server. Now its hard coded to the aft one.

then if the code was made available all you would have to do is find free webspace to upload it to and fill your new site's address into your copy of aft. No coding would be needed on your part (if this small change was made to the .jar ;))

i have my own version of the server side code written in php that i could give you if you can't find appropriate webspace that supports asp that the aft server code is written in (i think).

when looking for webspace make sure to find one without banner ads because otherwise the ad will be downloaded to your phone each time and cost more than a regular text.

doing it this way will actually be far more reliable. Everyone will be accessing the network sites from a different ip so they can't block everyone like they did with aft a few times and server problems won't take everyone down

• Registered Users Posts: 38 keithmcgrane

Hi Commander Vimes,

That would be great, i am not great on the server side of things at all.
    What webspace are you using? How do you upload the server code to this?
    I am a complete newbie to this sort of thing but would be willing to give it a go.

Cheers

K

It would actually be quite simple. One more input would need to be added to aft, the location of your server. Now its hard coded to the aft one.

then if the code was made available all you would have to do is find free webspace to upload it to and fill your new site's address into your copy of aft. No coding would be needed on your part (if this small change was made to the .jar ;))

i have my own version of the server side code written in php that i could give you if you can't find appropriate webspace that supports asp that the aft server code is written in (i think).

when looking for webspace make sure to find one without banner ads because otherwise the ad will be downloaded to your phone each time and cost more than a regular text.

doing it this way will actually be far more reliable. Everyone will be accessing the network sites from a different ip so they can't block everyone like they did with aft a few times and server problems won't take everyone down

For which networks do you have the php written?
    I have php code written already for sms discount and voipbuster.

As you say, it would be a fairly minor change to the aft client code to make the server configurable. I can do this when the time comes.

T35.com is a good host which I believe supports php for free accounts.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,579 ✭✭✭Webmonkey

If you need servers let me know - I've got hold of a dedicated one too.

Webmonkey wrote:
    If you need servers let me know - I've got hold of a dedicated one too.
    That sounds good - would we be able to just port everytthing over to this server webmonkey? What languages does your server support?

Hi Commander Vimes,

That would be great, i am not great on the server side of things at all.
    What webspace are you using? How do you upload the server code to this?
    I am a complete newbie to this sort of thing but would be willing to give it a go.

Cheers

K
    its really straightforward actually. Sign up to a geocities account to get a feel for it. Geocities won't be any good because it has ads but it'll give you the idea. Most webspace uses ftp to upload stuff. Have you ever used an ftp program?

i'd rather not say which host i'm using in case the networks block it when hundreds of people start using it :)

@dal, i have code written for all three networks. And not all sites that support php are suitable. A lot of them block use of the curl_init function for security reasons

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,665 ✭✭✭gary the great

Ive got a new phone ( a nokia N70) will be putting AFT on it later. Do I have to go call meteor and get my ISP activated again or is it the sim card that gets activated?

Also is AFT still the cheapest and best option?

Its still activated. You'll need to put the isp settings on the phone. They can be sent to your phone from the nokia site. As far as i know its still the best and cheapest option

Or if the nokia site doesn't work you can get the manual settings here:
    http://www.powermyphone.com/gprsmms.php

they're the ones called meteor web

• Closed Accounts Posts: 117 ✭✭jimmychin

was really looking forward to using aft but now if i understand correctly donutface will be pulling the plug on the service.

i understand your reasons donutface, it sounds like a great app and i'm surprised you havent been able to make some money from it.

well... if i understand correctly i can download the script and ftp it to my own webspace.

i have a 'virtual' hosted account with an isp that has a windows os that supports asp.NET 1.1 & 2.0

once i've done this i need to install the app on my java enabled phone and hey presto i can run it meself... forever !

is it really that straight forward? am i missing something?

• Advertisement

thanks commander.

why is donutface going to withdraw the service and when?

Yes it is that straightforward jimmy except that you will have to enter the url of your webspace into the adapted jar file.

the only problem would be if the networks change their sites around. Vodafone already have some quite sneaky ways of trying to block these scripts. Luckily we're sneakier for the moment :)

@gary the great, i have no idea. I'm sure he can fill you in himself

• Closed Accounts Posts: 127 ✭✭apollodjs

@DAL

Hey Dal any chance you can post the source code for the application and a link to a suitable compiler for anyone who wants to keep using this?

Cheers

ill keep the service running for as long as i can but it will be on a home computer soon so it wont be half as reliable

if someone has asp.net webspace then ill happily point the domain over provided i have FTP access to insure the sourcecode hasnt been modified to log messages or even pincodes for that matter

donutface wrote:
    ill keep the service running for as long as i can but it will be on a home computer soon so it wont be half as reliable

if someone has asp.net webspace then ill happily point the domain over provided i have FTP access to insure the sourcecode hasnt been modified to log messages or even pincodes for that matter

Cool, well hopefully somebody can keep it going as its a fab program.

I just installed it on my N70 (havent used it in a bit) and when i go to send a text it asks me what settign i want to send it under (Meteor MMS, Meteor Wap or meteor ISP), obviously i select ISP but is there a way of bypassing this so it selects ISP automatically?

donutface wrote:

Thanks for the great work.

Hopefully someone can host for ya. Boards isn't running asp, shame; neither is my own webspace otherwise I would, not being used for anything else atm.

i was just thinking of posting my php equivalent of the aft code for people who don't have access to a server that supports asp but if i did that the networks might just download it, see how it works and change their sites to stop it working so if anyone wants it, pm me

lol, just as i said that, vodafone have launched a new site and my code doesn't work anymore :D

And of course aft has stopped working too. Hopefully they haven't done anything drastic to block the scripts and it'll just be a matter of editing to deal with the new formatting

• Advertisement

well I lost my vf details due to the sim not being used anymore so I cant do any testing unfortunately.

Advertisement