Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

AFT - Use your free webtexts from your mobile - costs a fraction of a cent per text!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 461 ✭✭donutface

you have to verify your number first somehow dont you?

• Registered Users Posts: 590 ✭✭✭dal

donutface wrote:
    you have to verify your number first somehow dont you?
    You do, yes. I assume he has at least done that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 233 ✭✭Pansy Potter

donutface wrote:
    tell them you want to use a java msn client and its not working, and on the site you read something about ISP GPRS settings.

Try texting the word 'test' (without quotes) to 123
    If your response is -5 messages left, you are getting through to the server, if you dont get -5, then your only getting to vodafones servers and not any further

Please note anyone else, this only works when vodafone is selected as the service provider

Got onto Vodafone about this and they had no idea what I was talking about. They don't yet have the settings for the K800i (yet they've been selling it for almost a year), and they told me if I want MSN I need a Windows phone. Looks like I'll have to try a master reset on the phone and hope it puts it back to being able to use AFT.

Got onto Vodafone about this and they had no idea what I was talking about. They don't yet have the settings for the K800i (yet they've been selling it for almost a year), and they told me if I want MSN I need a Windows phone. Looks like I'll have to try a master reset on the phone and hope it puts it back to being able to use AFT.
    Did you try the test that donut suggested (texting "test" to 123 in aft)? What was the result?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 177 ✭✭mcguyver

Go into Settings - Connectivity - Internet settings - Settings for Java

Make sure vodafone live is selected then Select More - Settings Check to see it the Proxy settings are activated.

• Advertisement

donutface wrote:
    Try texting the word 'test' (without quotes) to 123
    If your response is -5 messages left, you are getting through to the server, if you dont get -5, then your only getting to vodafones servers and not any further

Did that. Got the usual "There was a problem sending your message"

I then reset the phone as I know AFT worked before. But this made no difference - I just lost all my texts.
    mcguyver wrote:
    Go into Settings - Connectivity - Internet settings - Settings for Java

Make sure vodafone live is selected then Select More - Settings Check to see it the Proxy settings are activated.

Checked that:
    Java Settings:
    Connect Using: Vodafone Live!
    Use Proxy:Yes
    Proxy Address: 010.024.059.100
    Port Number: 80

Might this have something to do with Vodafone's all new singing and dancing Vodafone Live!
    I noticed that I can no longer access Vodafone Mail through Vodafone Live! and they told me they are aware of this and are working on a fix.

Can anyone else still use AFT on a Vodafone prepay SE K800i?

looks ok try changing the port to 8080
    Also in data accounts check the APN for vodafone live is live.vodafone.com
    also did you try deleting and reinstalling the app?

Did that. Got the usual "There was a problem sending your message"

Then it is definitely a problem with your settings and not AFT.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,234 ✭✭✭Fresh Pots

anyone using aft on a nokia 6300 on meteor?

mcguyver wrote:
    looks ok try changing the port to 8080
    Also in data accounts check the APN for vodafone live is live.vodafone.com
    also did you try deleting and reinstalling the app?

mcguyver thanks a million. Changing the port to 8080 did the trick.
    Is this likely to have an effect on anything else?

Just noticed too that whatever changes Vodafone have made, AFT is now cheaper. It isnt the standard 2 cents per go; seems like you now get to send 2 texts for 1c. Anyone else noticed this?

• Advertisement

Glad to hear you got this working. Thanks mcguyver.

Is this likely to have an effect on anything else?

Just noticed too that whatever changes Vodafone have made, AFT is now cheaper. It isnt the standard 2 cents per go; seems like you now get to send 2 texts for 1c. Anyone else noticed this?

No this is the correct port to use anyhow you only updated it for your Java settings so everything else should be fine.

New Vodafone rates are why its cheaper now Link

But you'll be charged the min of 15c for your first text and .5c per text after that up to a max of 99c. This is a daily rate from 00:00 to 23:59 everyday.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,276 ✭✭✭JoeySully

This is great

Just found this thread today

Just read the first 10 pages and the last 5 in this thread.
    i have 2 fones meteor(prepay) and vodafone(billpay).
    I successfully got this working on
    Nokia 6230 on meteor - sending from meteor and voda
    and
    SE V600i on Voda - sending to voda and meteor

I had currupted the internet setting on the SE bout 6 months ago(cause of the stupit GPRS button on the side ) and entered the settings on the voda web page today.
    I also updated the 6230 with the setting sent from meteor as it was previously used on voda

I did have some trouble with the SE V600i
    I had to edit the Port to 8080 and it worked perfect.
    hoping to upgrade to K800i next week hopefully just changing the port will work on that too.
    getting charged 2c on meteor, dunno what it is on voda will have to wait til tommoro

thanks guys

• Registered Users Posts: 416 ✭✭tvr

can vodafone block this, mine was working fine yesterday now evertime i send a text it says problem sending text and vibrates. whats the crack.

tvr wrote:
    can vodafone block this, mine was working fine yesterday now evertime i send a text it says problem sending text and vibrates. whats the crack.

Looks like im having the sam problem now cant send with either metoer or vodafone

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭johnson1

this is class !! i have it working on a bill pay o2 k800i , thanks :)

JoeySully wrote:
    This is great

Just found this thread today

Just read the first 10 pages and the last 5 in this thread.
    i have 2 fones meteor(prepay) and vodafone(billpay).
    I successfully got this working on
    Nokia 6230 on meteor - sending from meteor and voda
    and
    SE V600i on Voda - sending to voda and meteor

I had currupted the internet setting on the SE bout 6 months ago(cause of the stupit GPRS button on the side ) and entered the settings on the voda web page today.
    I also updated the 6230 with the setting sent from meteor as it was previously used on voda

I did have some trouble with the SE V600i
    I had to edit the Port to 8080 and it worked perfect.
    hoping to upgrade to K800i next week hopefully just changing the port will work on that too.
    getting charged 2c on meteor, dunno what it is on voda will have to wait til tommoro

thanks guys

Ok since my last post i have found that Vodafone is charginf Me ~20c per text sent Via AFT. its showing up in my bill as
    "Live.vodafone.com >Vodafone 21KB 0.2067"

Is there some setting i should change to get cheaper rate???

thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 9,579 ✭✭✭Webmonkey

Live.vodafone.com - that has nothing to do with AFT.

After should be requests to one of our addresses. Not sure which one it uses anymore though :)

On the other hand, live.vodafone.com is the AP for Vodafone as well so I amn't quite sure there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,820 ✭✭✭flodis79

JoeySully wrote:
    Ok since my last post i have found that Vodafone is charginf Me ~20c per text sent Via AFT. its showing up in my bill as
    "Live.vodafone.com >Vodafone 21KB 0.2067"

Is there some setting i should change to get cheaper rate???

thanks

Search the thread.....

Use isp.vodafone.ie, €2 per mb for data.
    The live apn has a price ceiling of 99c per day, so you won't be paying anything after sending 5 messages if they are 20c each. Guess the reason why the sms's are 20c with live is that the minimum data charge is for 10kb, ie 20c.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭Explosive_Cornflake

Has anyone got the application to run on windows mobile? I have an imate Jammn, same as a QTEK S200, or the prophet.
    I've tried two JVM's, the Midlet Manager that comes with the phone, and the Mysaifu JVM. I've tried both MIDP 1 and 2 versions of AFT.
    I get a java.lang.exception: No Main-Class attribute in <path to jar>
    I can give you more details if it'll help.

• Advertisement

Has anyone got the application to run on windows mobile? I have an imate Jammn, same as a QTEK S200, or the prophet.
    I've tried two JVM's, the Midlet Manager that comes with the phone, and the Mysaifu JVM. I've tried both MIDP 1 and 2 versions of AFT.
    I get a java.lang.exception: No Main-Class attribute in <path to jar>
    I can give you more details if it'll help.
    Have you managed to get any other java applications working?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭Explosive_Cornflake

Good question, I got Opera mini to work on the built in JVM, but not on the open source Mysaifu JVM.
    The error i get from the built in JVM is that it is not a valid archive.
    I'm grabbing the version from the link on the 1st post.
    It reports the size as 15992 and version 1.2 from the jar.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,172 ✭✭✭1huge1

I signed up to smsdiscount but when I try to send a message through aft they say the account doesnt exist

Really wish 3 had webtexts

• Registered Users Posts: 18,915 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

1huge1 wrote:
    I signed up to smsdiscount but when I try to send a message through aft they say the account doesnt exist

Really wish 3 had webtexts
    I take it that you can send texts using the smsdiscount client?

What about when you use this url:

https://myaccount.smsdiscount.com/clx/sendsms.php?username=xxxxxxxxxx​&password=xxxxxxxxxx&from=xxxxxxxxxx&to=xxxxxxxxxx&text=xxxxxxxxxx

Does that work?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,339 ✭✭✭congo_90

Webmonkey wrote:
    I amnt the expert on this side of things but have you GPRS set up correctly and your java internet connections to to this GPRS connection?

ok so im not the most technologically minded. i managed to upload the app to my phone...seems to load ok. Heres my problem.
    My handset is an unlocked 3 phone, now using a meteor sim. I'm not sure if my GPRS/WAP settings are correct. Can anyone tell me how i can check before getting in a frustrating conversation with cust serv.??
    Thanks

congo_90 wrote:
    ok so im not the most technologically minded. i managed to upload the app to my phone...seems to load ok. Heres my problem.
    My handset is an unlocked 3 phone, now using a meteor sim. I'm not sure if my GPRS/WAP settings are correct. Can anyone tell me how i can check before getting in a frustrating conversation with cust serv.??
    Thanks
    Can you surf the web via GPRS. (You'll know this if you don't have to dial a number to connect to the web).

Just go to a website on your mobile. If it fails to load your GPRS settings arnt correct. Someone here will help you with the Meteor settings. More than likely on the support of the Meteor website you will find this information and it may even send them from the site directly to your phone to be installed like O2 Do.

Good luck with getting it working.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Sero96

dal wrote:
    I have created an J2ME application to run on (java-enabled) mobile phones through which you can use your online quota of webtexts.

Basically the application communicates with WebMonkeys' O2text program (link) so only the very mimimum amount of data is transferred from the phone to the web.

The cost of each message is a lot less than a cent (O2 currently charge 1c/kb for data). I have sent more than 4 without my balance changing, thats about .25c per text! This works with international numbers which are normally 25c for O2, so there are huge savings to be made.

Been working on this for a few weeks now so it is fairly well tested (tested on SonyEricsson k750i and Motorola v525, but should work on any java phone).

The application is designed to be as close to normal texting as possible.
    Features:
    - Saves your login details so you never have to enter them again (although you can modify them if desired).
    - Supports predictive T9/predictive texting (if your phone has it) and contacts lookup (again if your phone supports it).
    - Saves the 5 most recent phone numbers in memory for quick access.
    - Tells you how many free texts you have remaining.
    - Supports international numbers.

Would really appreciate any feedback on this, especially to see if it works on different types of phones. Currently the app only works for O2 but there is no reason why it can't be adapted for vodafone and meteor further on down the line if there is enough interest.

Many thanks to Webmonkey for his server-side work and for helping me test the app.

The application is called AFT (Almost Free Texts) and is available here:
    http://www.killarneyonline.eu/o2text/aft.jar

So either save it to your computer and then transfer to your phone through USB/bluetooth/infrared or else use your phones web brower to go to the URL above.

Update 5th Sep 06 - Now has support for Meteor!

what do i need to do to get it working on meteor?

Sero96 wrote:
    what do i need to do to get it working on meteor?
    Download the App and select meteor entering your meteor login details.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,915 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

Advertisement