Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

AFT - Use your free webtexts from your mobile - costs a fraction of a cent per text!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,246 ✭✭✭rc28

It now just says "there was an error" but even though it doesn't send anything my credit has gone down 50cent including the download of the app.
    Again, is it because i'm in 2.5g coverage atm, not 3g?

Ok, it doesn't work at all but keeps charging me. Ive tried following this guide:
    http://sms.donutsoft.net/wiki/pmwiki.php?n=Main.GuideToSettingUpAnAccount
    How come no one told me to do the above thing before? I've tried following the 959 thing in the above link but it's confusing. It says to do the following on my phone:
    "On your phone/with Multitext select AFTuser as the service and put in your Aftuser username & password that you chose when you first created an account on http://sms.donutsoft.net . Send a text to 9590999 saying Hi, and if it responds with Hi, your account/959number has been successfully set up! Congratulations!"
    But there are 4 text fields to complete, not 3 :
    1)account name- is this my phone number or aft username?
    2)network (do i choose aftuser or vodafone?)
    3)username- again is this my phone no. or aft username?
    4)password

I've tried the different entries possible but it just never works and says "there was a problem" after trying to send.

Any help would be REALLY appreciated. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

rc28 wrote:
    Ok, it doesn't work at all but keeps charging me.
    it would do. you're paying for the internet charge, not the successful sending of a message. the makers of AFT don't get that money by the way, the networks do.
    rc28 wrote:
    Ive tried following this guide:
    http://sms.donutsoft.net/wiki/pmwiki.php?n=Main.GuideToSettingUpAnAccount
    How come no one told me to do the above thing before? I've tried following the 959 thing in the above link but it's confusing. It says to do the following on my phone:
    "On your phone/with Multitext select AFTuser as the service and put in your Aftuser username & password that you chose when you first created an account on http://sms.donutsoft.net . Send a text to 9590999 saying Hi, and if it responds with Hi, your account/959number has been successfully set up! Congratulations!"
    ignore the AFTUSER thing, that's not for sending texts from your phone.
    rc28 wrote:
    But there are 4 text fields to complete, not 3 :
    1)account name- is this my phone number or aft username?
    2)network (do i choose aftuser or vodafone?)
    3)username- again is this my phone no. or aft username?
    4)password
    1) what ever you want, just something to identify it
    2) vodafone
    3) your phone numer
    4) the password you use to access the vodafone website

how did you put the program on your phone? did you download it or do it through a pc?

how did you put the program on your phone? did you download it or do it through a pc?
    I downloaded it directly on my phone using the opera browser. Thanks for your help, i'll try it again but do you think it's not working because I'm not in 3g coverage?

edit; I just tried it again and it still says: "there was a problem sending your message"
    What do I do?

• Registered Users Posts: 590 ✭✭✭dal

rc28 wrote:
    I downloaded it directly on my phone using the opera browser. Thanks for your help, i'll try it again but do you think it's not working because I'm not in 3g coverage?

edit; I just tried it again and it still says: "there was a problem sending your message"
    What do I do?
    Does opera work when you are not in 3g coverage?

• Advertisement

Irish Wolf wrote:
    Ok - I'm pretty close to giving up on this completely.. I can't get it to work for either Vodafone or for SMSdiscount.
    Are your internet settings correct on your phone?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,178 ✭✭✭Irish Wolf

dal wrote:
    Are your internet settings correct on your phone?

As far as I'm aware they are - I'm able to use Opera, Mig33, PaddyPower Mobile, without any problems.. I've tried the new 1.3.2 version an also the midp1 version but both return failures..

In fact I'm getting the same error message with version 1.3.2 as rc28 is getting.. it's most frustrating.. and to make things worse SMSdiscount seems to be acting up on me as well..

If it helps I'm on a Vodafone billpay Nokia 6234..

dal wrote:
    Does opera work when you are not in 3g coverage?
    Yes opera and all other wap things work when not in 3g. I havn't messed with settings either. If it's any help i'm using a motorola e770v and I'm on vodafone prepay.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,336 ✭✭✭tonc76

Hi

Have just come across this thread and managed to get thru d first 20 pages but am totally confused as to how i set it up. I have a nokia N70 on vodafone bill pay. Can you please instruct me step by step what i need to do?

Thanks in advance - looks to be a brilliant piece of software (from what i've read!!!)

• Registered Users Posts: 461 ✭✭donutface

go to http://aft.donutsoft.net - the instructions are more organised there

• Advertisement

tonc76 wrote:
    Hi

Have just come across this thread and managed to get thru d first 20 pages but am totally confused as to how i set it up.
    Have you installed the application on your phone?

Have tried to install but keep getting an error message

Will try again over lunch

Thanks

tonc76 wrote:

Thanks
    What is the error message you are getting and do you know if the internet is correctly configured on your phone?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,568 ✭✭✭ethernet

tonc76 wrote:

Thanks
    By default, the N70 will block all unsigned applications. You'll have to change it to prompt you instead. Don't know off-hand where that option is :(

dal wrote:
    What is the error message you are getting and do you know if the internet is correctly configured on your phone?

It has installed for me now

How do i access the software? I've gone to tools, manager, and i can see AFT within application manager but i can't open it - where from here?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

tonc76 wrote:
    It has installed for me now

How do i access the software? I've gone to tools, manager, and i can see AFT within application manager but i can't open it - where from here?
    it should be in the "my own" folder

• Registered Users Posts: 1,820 ✭✭✭flodis79

Were some posts in this thread removed? Donut posted around 23.38 last night that he will close down AFT within 24 hours if he doesn't get information on the background to Multitext's closedown... So this is not true anymore?

I have accessed the software and set up account name and password

I tried to send a test message to my own number

I was asked to "select access point" between

Connection
    Vodafone Business
    Vodafone ISP
    Vodafone Live
    Vodafone MMS

In chose Vodafone ISP but then get the following

"There was a problem sending your message - Invalid account"

What am I doing wrong?

• Registered Users Posts: 461 ✭✭donutface

you need to call them up and ask them to activate the access point

tonc76 wrote:
    "There was a problem sending your message - Invalid account"
    Invalid account might suggest that your internet connection settings are ok, but your login details are incorrect. You have the correct username and password, right? The ones you use to log in to the vodafone website?

• Advertisement

dal wrote:
    Invalid account might suggest that your internet connection settings are ok, but your login details are incorrect. You have the correct username and password, right? The ones you use to log in to the vodafone website?

That's the exact same message I kept getting but then it switched to:
    "there was an error".

rc28 wrote:
    That's the exact same message I kept getting but then it switched to:
    "there was an error".

I know its a lot to ask, but can you download another application that I made called Dorsh (link is in my signature) to see if it works. Look up one of the train times using Dorsh. This will tell us whether your connection details are correct or not.
    Its only a small app (8kb).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,809 ✭✭✭edanto

I'd really like to be able to get to where the AFT contacts are stored and dump in a load of mine at once. Maybe it's all hidden and inaccesible in the application, but would there be a way of connecting my phone to my PC and copying a batch of contacts into AFT?

Just been looking at the Feature request page on donutsoft, to see if there's any mention of that, but couldn't see it.

dal wrote:
    I know its a lot to ask, but can you download another application that I made called Dorsh (link is in my signature) to see if it works. Look up one of the train times using Dorsh. This will tell us whether your connection details are correct or not.
    Its only a small app (8kb).
    Ok I've done that and it woks perfectly (great app btw). But still no joy with aft,
    It says "there was a problem" now. As I asked earlier does this app rely on 3g coverage to work because i'm in 2.5g atm?

edanto wrote:
    I'd really like to be able to get to where the AFT contacts are stored and dump in a load of mine at once. Maybe it's all hidden and inaccesible in the application, but would there be a way of connecting my phone to my PC and copying a batch of contacts into AFT?

Just been looking at the Feature request page on donutsoft, to see if there's any mention of that, but couldn't see it.

There is no feature to add many contacts at once. But you can access your phone's contacts from within AFT. Can you not do this?

I must be thick. I can only find an 'AFT contacts' option on the menu.

While writing, More | AFT contacts

and then after writing, OK | either 'Enter Phone number' or More | Insert AFT contact or Back

How do I get to my phone's (k800i) contacts from within AFT?

edanto wrote:
    How do I get to my phone's (k800i) contacts from within AFT?

There are two places.
    When you go to aft contacts, you can select "Add". You then have a field for the person's name and a field for the phone number. When you enter the phone number field, there should be an option to edit (middle click button on my SE). This (on my SE w800) brings you to a new screen. On this screen, one of the soft keys brings you to your phones contacts so that you can use one of the numbers.

The same is true when you go to send a message. The same phone number field appears on the screen above your recently sent contacts. You can get a phone number from your contacts by clicking on this field.

Thanks mate. That's a really sweet feature. It's nice not to have to write down the number and for the people that I texxt often, I can just copy their number in.
    Gotta say that it's not that intuitive though, and I'd suggest adding in an item to the menu, Add Phone Contact or something.
    Also, I'm gonna recommend AFT to my little sisters (voracious texters), and I think they'd appreciate a more traditional instruction manual at http://aft.donutsoft.net/ than going through the thread here.
    I understand that you're doing all this in your spare time and I'm really grateful, but maybe the questions that you're commonly answering in this thread would be better served by an manual page at donutsoft. Believe me, if I had the time and the knowledge I'd offer to do it myself but unfortunately I don't. Thanks again for putting this together and running it. Just noticed on your donate page that you've saved people over 10 grand up to April. That will probably be 20 very soon, congrats.

Thanks to all of you that made it, it's pure community spirit.

dal wrote:

Initially I had the wrong username and password input

I created a new account and used my vodafone username and password but still get the same error - invalid account?

• Advertisement

tonc76 wrote:
    Initially I had the wrong username and password input

I created a new account and used my vodafone username and password but still get the same error - invalid account?
    Try re-installing the application. If it prompts you to overwrite existing data say yes.

Advertisement