Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sticky of online stores that accept Laser / Maestro Card?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,443 ✭✭✭Red Sleeping Beauty

imokyrok wrote: »
    Is it a ploy by the banks to keep us in debt?

I think there is. Considering how piss poor Laser is recieved outside Ireland (both in shops and online) then yeah, the banks want us all to have debt cards.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,020 ✭✭✭eVeNtInE

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 dondwyer157

I dunno if this has already been mentioned, but Permanent TSB seem to me to be the only bank still issuing Laser cards without any CVV number on the back! AIB and BOI have been issuing cards with the 7-digit numbers on the back for ages now, but when my TSB card came the other day, there was no number!

Tried buying from the nike irish website. Chose Laser as my payment option and the website still wanted a start date and a CVV number - neither of which my Laser/Maestro card have! Very annoying!

Also, has anyone tried Wirecard from MasterCard? It's like MaterCard's alternative to 3V. They offer direct debit, which would seem to be handy as i hate having to head out to a shop to top-up my 3V card everytime I want to buy something online!

• Registered Users Posts: 43,851 ✭✭✭✭Basq

eVeNtInE wrote: »
    Unfortunately, they're not the same thing.

UK Maestro is the new name for a Switch Card AFAIK.. they're not compatible with the Irish Maestro cards.
    I dunno if this has already been mentioned, but Permanent TSB seem to me to be the only bank still issuing Laser cards without any CVV number on the back! AIB and BOI have been issuing cards with the 7-digit numbers on the back for ages now, but when my TSB card came the other day, there was no number!

Tried buying from the nike irish website. Chose Laser as my payment option and the website still wanted a start date and a CVV number - neither of which my Laser/Maestro card have! Very annoying!
    They're not needed.... I don't have one on my Laser card from AIB (entering 999 or 000 as CVV will work just fine, choose anything for Start Date).
    Also, has anyone tried Wirecard from MasterCard? It's like MaterCard's alternative to 3V. They offer direct debit, which would seem to be handy as i hate having to head out to a shop to top-up my 3V card everytime I want to buy something online!
    Do a search of 'Bargain Alerts'.. there's a big thread there all about it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭imokyrok

basquille wrote: »

They're not needed.... I don't have one on my Laser card from AIB (entering 999 or 000 as CVV will work just fine, choose anything for Start Date).

Is this just for Irish sites or would that tip work for amazon etc?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,445 ✭✭✭Jako8

www.three.ie for communications

• Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭imokyrok

I've just come across this link which seems to suggest a visa debit card is possible from Halifax Ireland.

http://www.halifax.ie/index.jsp?p=101&n=128

As I don't have a Halifax current account I imagine I'd have to open one. I'll look into it. Perhaps I could link it to my AIB internet banking facilities to transfer money from AIB to Halifax when I want to make an online purchase. I guess it depends on whether there is a monthy minimum financial input one has to agree to lodge before Halifax will grant a visa debit card.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,443 ✭✭✭Red Sleeping Beauty

As has been said, CVV2 essentially doesn't mean diddly. If there comes a time when all Irish sites will only accept Laser with a CVV2 then so be it but for now, it means very little. What people want is to be able to us their Laser as a Maestro card outside of Ireland and Irish sites.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

A Laser card is not a Maestro card. The Maestro part allows the card to be used in bank machines outside of Ireland, but not as a Maestro debit card.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,851 ✭✭✭✭Basq

jor el wrote: »
    The Maestro part allows the card to be used in bank machines outside of Ireland, but not as a Maestro debit card.
    Is that not Cirrus?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 57 ✭✭hurler007

That Nokia Accessories site doesnt seem to be working.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

basquille wrote: »
    Is that not Cirrus?

That too, yes. Both Cirrus and Maestro allow for bank machine use.

• Registered Users Posts: 864 ✭✭✭stainluss

Ron DMC wrote: »
    Not sure if it's been listed before (and not technically an online store), but www.paddypower.ie accept laser.

if they didnt id be a rich, happier man:rolleyes::p

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭col89

Does 7Digital take AIB Laser? I'm sure it's supposed to...

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭purplestar1986

Bangcd dont accept laser anymore even though on the site they say they do. Fcukers, I was wanting to get Shameless and can't get it anywhere else online grr

• Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭Gr1f

Maestro (owned by Mastercard) is terminal debit card that can be used at pin card terminals in the EU and US. Cirrus (also owned by Mastercard) is an ATM network.

You can use your Maestro Laser card to phisically shop outside of Ireland. Anywhere that can take a chip/pin Mastercard or Vias card will process a Maestro transaction also.

However, it seems that they have crippled online transactions and limited online transactions to only Laser Card affiliates, which 99.99% are purely Irish based. Totally ridiculous, but there you go.

As for US usage, there is an extra charge on both Maestro (chip/pin) transactions and ATM transactions via Cirrus.

• Registered Users Posts: 479 ✭✭ball

http://www.paddypower.com accept Laser
    So does the Paddy Power Poker.

Danger

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 HitmanSB07

do play.com now accept irish laser/maestro cards?it says they don't at the stat of this thread but the reason was because it didn't have 3 digits at the back,which mine has.i preordered a game yesterday and got an e-mail today saying that it was declined.however,i have no money in the account,so was it declined because of that or because it still doesn't accept them?thanks in advance

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭Sn@kebite

Hello all,

I just ordered a Horizon T931 treadmill from connection-fitness.co.uk for about £385 GBP (€415) including delivery to ROI with my Irish Maestro card for anyone who wishes to look for gym/fitness equipment online with a laser.

I used:

Security code: '000'
    Issue number: '1'

I see the money has been debited to them because my bank account balance has dropped but it has not yet shown up as a transaction.

I will let you all know if something goes wrong and if it goes good I will pm the OP to edit his post because I don't think I see any fitness sites in there yet.

:)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,416 ✭✭✭Lazare

HitmanSB07 wrote: »
    do play.com now accept irish laser/maestro cards?it says they don't at the stat of this thread but the reason was because it didn't have 3 digits at the back,which mine has.i preordered a game yesterday and got an e-mail today saying that it was declined.however,i have no money in the account,so was it declined because of that or because it still doesn't accept them?thanks in advance

I bought season 1 of the Wire just now on play using my laser (AIB) without a hitch.

Only €12.99 btw.

edit, I don't have any digits on the back of my card, I just entered '000', and picked a random start date.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,416 ✭✭✭Lazare

Lazare wrote: »
    I bought season 1 of the Wire just now on play using my laser (AIB) without a hitch.

Only €12.99 btw.

edit, I don't have any digits on the back of my card, I just entered '000', and picked a random start date.

Just got an email to say they can't process my order. They don't say they can't accept laser, just that they need a CV2 number and a start date. Meh.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,924 ✭✭✭eamon234

Hey folks just spotted on the Ulster Bank site that they will be switching their debit cards to Visa Debit soon - presumably this will make it easier to buy online.

Linky

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 7,395 Mod ✭✭✭✭**Timbuk2**

eamon234 wrote: »
    Hey folks just spotted on the Ulster Bank site that they will be switching their debit cards to Visa Debit soon - presumably this will make it easier to buy online.

Linky

It's already happened. I already have my Visa Debit card!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33 Eccentric

I know it was mentioned earlier in the thread that there were problems with Laser / Maestro / Switch on HMV.com, but in case it hasn't already been mentioned Laser Card transactins do work on HMV.com now (so maybe that can be added to the first post of this thread). :)

• Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭ashyle

awear's website accepts laser :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36 Sheridan

Eccentric wrote: »
    I know it was mentioned earlier in the thread that there were problems with Laser / Maestro / Switch on HMV.com, but in case it hasn't already been mentioned Laser Card transactins do work on HMV.com now (so maybe that can be added to the first post of this thread). :)
    Are you sure? I tried it earlier and it wasn't having it. Can anyone else verify?

Pain in the balls, this whole laser business. :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33 Eccentric

Sheridan wrote: »
    Are you sure?
    Yeah I placed a few orders with them, paid with my Laser card each time and everything got delivered. (With Bank of Ireland if that makes any difference, I doubt it would?)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 687 ✭✭✭scop

Schuh no longer accept Laser it seems. Just a heads up.

Advertisement