Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

US: 2X22 - "Three Minutes" [** SPOILERS WITHIN **]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,982 ✭✭✭ObeyGiant

Okay, time for some revisionism here - when I said "everyone on the island", I actually meant "most people on the island" :)

And I know that some characters have actual living family members in the real world, but most times, they are so estranged as to count as people who will not miss their absence. E.g. - Jack's wife who left him, Shannon's step-mother who cut her off, Charlie's brother in Australia (driveshaft were never about to tour again - Liam says "Charlie, I don't want to come back", Charlie storms off) etc.

But again, I'm not saying that I subscribe to this theory of the plane being brought down to build up a perfect society using the various elements needed. I'm just saying that it's silly to discount this theory just because it means Locke was chosen instead of Ray Mears - in this theory, a plane full of nobodies is much less likely to arouse suspicion than a plane full of famous people.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 385 ✭✭loon

not to forget the 30 other survivors that we know nothing about...

.. as for famous people..charlie's famous he was on about comeback album once rescued.. also, gary troup was on board.. very famous in lostland..

• Registered Users Posts: 7,517 ✭✭✭matrim

If you go for the theory that the others made people come to the island, is it possible that they want those 4 people because they weren't supposed to be on the plane.

Kate was made come by the deputy.
    They tried to keep Jack off the plane with his fathers body.
    Hurley kept being blocked from making the plane but made it anyway.

Although I'm not sure about Sawyer. I can't remember if he was stopped from being on the plane.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

stevejazzx wrote:
    but the way they live in those huts etc points to something a little less sophiscated then a scientific habitat, it's confusing
    I got the feeling the huts were all a show for Michael, like the fake beard, it's all an act. I think everything we know (or everything the Losties know) so far about the others is a lie. Also, what Walt said backs this up, "They're not who they say they are, they're pretending". They are in control of whatever experiment is being run on the island and the façade of scruffy people living in tents is just another part of that experiment.

I only hope we find out a bit more about them when Michael leads the other four to them in this next episode, though given that it's a day or two across the island that might not happen till the end of the 2nd episode :( I hope they skip the journey and cut to the chase.

Has everyone already forgotten that we saw both Alex and Mr. Friendly in the medical station in "Maternity Leave", both looking remarkably more sophisticated than they do now? It's absolutely just a front.

• Advertisement

..does no-one remember the 'tailies' episodes??

..their 'others' did wear rags and went around barefoot (and silently)..

..michael was with the 'tailies'..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 87 ✭✭20LEgend

Also on the others:

In the Michael flashback one of the others mentions that the losties ar about "half a click" behind them.
    Now i'm pretty sure the term "click" is a military term. This could provide a clue although maybe not!

Also we have to remember that Michael was lured into a trap via the computer so we have to assume the others have access to one at their camp.

ObeyGiant wrote:
    Has everyone already forgotten that we saw both Alex and Mr. Friendly in the medical station in "Maternity Leave", both looking remarkably more sophisticated than they do now? It's absolutely just a front.

i'm confused... wasn't alex abducted by the 'others' and was she not the one who rescued claire.. she seemed to show genuine concern for claire and her baby when talking to the captured kate..

loon wrote:
    i'm confused... wasn't alex abducted by the 'others' and was she not the one who rescued claire.. she seemed to show genuine concern for claire and her baby when talking to the captured kate..
    She was! That's what I mean - she was in the medical statation dressed in civvies and then she was in the Jungle talking to Michael, dressed in rags. Ditto "Mr Friendly". There's no question for me the Others' camp is just a front.

As ObeyGiant said, it's all a front. The only one of the Losties to see the Others in normal clothes was Claire. Zeek was there talking to Ethan, only he had no beard and was wearing normal clothes. Since she was drugged up and never meant to live past the experience (they were going to cut the baby out of her) I'd imagine that's why they weren't in disguise.

Click is indeed army speak for kilometer so there could be at least some military involvement in the Others. Click is often used outside military circles as slang for kilometer too though.

• Advertisement

so how does it explain them walking through the jungle barefoot and silent and being able to abduct one of the tailies without anyone knowing..

As people have previously pointed out, the use of the term "klick" might suggest military connections, perhaps even training. Or perhaps there's something more - not long after the kids with the teddy bear were abducted from the tailies' end, they were walking silently through the jungle.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,247 ✭✭✭stevejazzx

jor el wrote:
    I got the feeling the huts were all a show for Michael, like the fake beard, it's all an act. I think everything we know (or everything the Losties know) so far about the others is a lie. Also, what Walt said backs this up, "They're not who they say they are, they're pretending". They are in control of whatever experiment is being run on the island and the façade of scruffy people living in tents is just another part of that experiment.

I only hope we find out a bit more about them when Michael leads the other four to them in this next episode, though given that it's a day or two across the island that might not happen till the end of the 2nd episode :( I hope they skip the journey and cut to the chase.

i find that the whole thing being put on is too elaborate and thats why i opted for the explanation that only a few of them were actually pretending (the head scientits, goodwin, ethan, henry(f) etc) anna lucia calls them 'animals' which made me think the scientits had penetrated this bunch of people, drugged them, inducted them into some bizzare cult, now have them carrying out their will...

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭Duffman'05

6/10 for this one. I know it seems a little low-but i gave that score because when they showed the others and their camp they gave away to much at once-now we know pretty much everything about them-they do seem to be nothing more than a tribe of old people living in tents and with a few guns and now dont seem as mysterious or dangerous..
    The writers plan to make lost run for 5 seasons-now that they've told us so much about the others, they'll surely be short of ideas next time.

I think that the boat at the end was the boat that Michael said he wanted, I know they have a small fishing boat-but when we saw the yacht, it was heading straight for the island but when they noticed it, it turned sharply at the last second-perhaps it will come to michael when/if he returns with only Walt? And like many people have said-it cant be there to rescue them-this is Lost!

On the plus side, they really seem to be building up the excitement and tension etc. to unleash in the last episode, great expectations for this finale!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,312 ✭✭✭mr_angry

On the contrary, we know sod all about whats going on, and we're 2 seasons in. Who are The Others? There's plenty of speculation, and we now know the names of 4 or 5 of them, but thats it. They could be Dharma, Hanso, Military, or some off-shoot rebel thing, but nobody actually knows. Nobody has found this radio tower we keep hearing about. There's no sign of the disease as yet. We don't know why the plane crashed, why (if there's any coherent reason) these people were all brought together, what the numbers mean, what intelligence is leading Locke & Eko, what the security system (Cerberus) is protecting, why the concrete and electromagnetism in the hatch, what the "incident" was, or what the whole damn island is.

I'd say thats plenty to go on for the forseeable future.

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭Duffman'05

#Elites wrote:
    5 seasons!?

They should end it with 3 seasons, the story cant go on that much longer?!

Yes, this is true. It was announced by the writers some time in April and has been met with criticism and doubts-I dont see it lasting that long though (at least not at the standard we are used to). They got a contract from Fox network to continue airing for 5 seasons

• Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭tracert

Duffman'05 wrote:
    Yes, this is true. It was announced by the writers some time in April and has been met with criticism and doubts-I dont see it lasting that long though (at least not at the standard we are used to). They got a contract from Fox network to continue airing for 5 seasons
    Smoking the heavy stuff last night, were you?

mr_angry wrote:
    On the contrary, we know sod all about whats going on, and we're 2 seasons in. Who are The Others? There's plenty of speculation, and we now know the names of 4 or 5 of them, but thats it. They could be Dharma, Hanso, Military, or some off-shoot rebel thing, but nobody actually knows. Nobody has found this radio tower we keep hearing about. There's no sign of the disease as yet. We don't know why the plane crashed, why (if there's any coherent reason) these people were all brought together, what the numbers mean, what intelligence is leading Locke & Eko, what the security system (Cerberus) is protecting, why the concrete and electromagnetism in the hatch, what the "incident" was, or what the whole damn island is.

I'd say thats plenty to go on for the forseeable future.

... these are only some of the unanswered questions...

... but surely some of these should have been answered by now.. i've mentioned it before, but what has actually happened in season two?

.. jack and locke have spent all their time in the hatch and mike has been looking for his boy.. but what about the others? (that's other survivors not the 'others')..

.. season one spanned some forty odd days and a lot happened, leading to a lot of questions.. none of which have been answered and season two only seems to have covered about a week..

.. a lot of you think that the finale will enlighten you.. but wont that piss you off?.. knowing that you only had to watch the finale?

.. also, people seem to have forgotten that the plane did not crash onto the island... but pieces of the plane.. ie the cockpit, the fuselage and the tail section.. the plane landed in three pieces.. it didn't crash and break into three pieces..

loon wrote:
    .. also, people seem to have forgotten that the plane did not crash onto the island... but pieces of the plane.. ie the cockpit, the fuselage and the tail section.. the plane landed in three pieces.. it didn't crash and break into three pieces..
    The tail broke off in mid-flight, causing the plane to come down. The fuselage ended up on the beach and the cockpit broke off on impact and ended up in the jungle. That's what I thought happened anyway. How exactly the crash worked I don't know, perhaps we'll never know. Maybe the extreme magnetism on the island was used somehow to control the crash and bring the seperate parts of the plane down like they did?

When the tail broke off, the plane should have come straight down smashing head first into the ground/sea and broke up into tiny bits, but it didn't. It seems to have glided in across the water, then the cockpit broke off when it hit the beach and bounced on into the jungle. There's no way the plane coulld have glided in without the tail section. Some other force must have been in play.
    but wont that piss you off?
    It'll piss me off when we, more than likely, find out nothing more in these next too episodes. Answering any questions about the Others or why they're on the island probably leads to answering the whole mystery of the island. All they can do is give little bits of information, like perhaps they'll show if the Other's camp is all a farce or not. But I can't see them revealing any of the 'whys' of the island.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 74 ✭✭MIGWAR-DWP

Consider the amount of questions that were posed during the first season ( security system, black rock, the hatch, numbers etc..).

Now consider how many of those questions were actually answered during the season one finale?

None.

And how many have been answered in the whole of season two?

Very few, and a whole load more questions have been asked.

Do you really think the writers are gonna give you loads of answers in this season's finale?

I doubt it. You'll get some tit bits of onfo and they'll probably open a whole new can of worms to set up season three....

• Advertisement

ok here's the big secret....
    LOON DID IT!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,247 ✭✭✭stevejazzx

MIGWAR-DWP wrote:
    Consider the amount of questions that were posed during the first season ( security system, black rock, the hatch, numbers etc..).

Now consider how many of those questions were actually answered during the season one finale?

None.

And how many have been answered in the whole of season two?

Very few, and a whole load more questions have been asked.

Do you really think the writers are gonna give you loads of answers in this season's finale?

I doubt it. You'll get some tit bits of onfo and they'll probably open a whole new can of worms to set up season three....

tit bits? ugh!

tidbits?

• Registered Users Posts: 421 ✭✭sapper

In this weeks podcast the producers acknowledge how annoyed everyone was at last seasons finale (ie they stared down a hole). They say that everyone should be more satisified this time around.

They also said that they are particularly pleased with the last three minutes. Can't wait meself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 391 ✭✭Sunn

lol..typical... over 180 minutes running time and the most exciting bit lasts only 3 minutes

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,416 ✭✭✭doh.ie

OK, "Three Minutes".

Definitely an 8/10.

* Liked another example of seeing a previous event more fully, in this case Locke being hit over the head.

* Liked the rock with the hole where the Others' camp is - nice 'whistling' effect when the wind blows

* The 'number of shots fired' issue from "The Hunting Party" is resolved. Seven shots or more were fired because Michael fired his pistol, and the Others returned fire. It also explains why only some of Michael's casings were found later.

* I don't know if Eko knows what Michael did, but I loved his story about the dog. Eko is very intuitive, but there's nothing to indicate he knows Michael shot Libby and AL.

* Good to see Charlie and Claire on better terms; plus Charlie's actually kicked the heroin (though I still think a few episodes with him either on the drugs or ambiguously on them might have yielded some worthwhile storylines or character development.)

* Once we saw Alex in 2x15, there was a lot of fan speculation that she didn't match up to the girl who brought out Kate in 2x11. Now we know why (although in this case, it's cos the writers wrote themselves out of a corner - don't tell me they planned this!!!) They've cleverly had Zeke call to Alex to "Bring her out, Alex!" but Alex is afraid and this other male Other does it instead. Clever. Good to see her asking after Claire and the baby - she obviously is the good person Claire believed her to be.

* The list - like this plot development, though I had guessed it when Michael seemed intent that Michael not go with them and wanted to take Hurley. Felt odd from the start. (Good that they acknowledged its unusualness with dialogue like "I just figure if we going to war, we'd want the one guy who's actually been in a war.")

* Michael's discussion with Klugh:
    - Biological son - we've long thought Dharma had some hand in the parentage of some of the Losties. This is an interesting one, considering what we also now know about Christian Shepard. Did he try to protect his daughter from Dharma?
    - Fainting/Illnesses - does an illness trigger Walt's abilities? Or was he feeling the effects of Dharma's interference from as far away as the island?
    - Appearing 'where he wasn't supposed to be' - Michael seemed coy on this, so it's possible he did seem him during his childhood, but dismissed them as hallucinations. Yet when he did appear on the island itself, it was to Shannon and not to his father (at least as far as we could tell).

* Michael's meeting with Walt:
    - Only important points here were being keep in 'the room', a punishment (likely in the hatch) and Walt confirming what we knew - "They're pretending!"
    It's remarkable, though, considering most of us thought he was lying, how much of Michael's description of the Others' camp was spot on.

* The boat - some speculation here, some comments beyond it (thought everyone made 'a pact' on that...!) I reckon it's the next bunch of stranded Losties - maybe one or two characters; of course, that'll depend on how keen the writers are to increase the cast again in the wake of the writing out of Libby and AL.

Overall, pretty good, losing marks only for my being much less in anticipation of the finale than I was this time last year at the end of season 1. Seems much less happened this year and the show was creatively not the tour de force that it was in its first season.

alex was cast afterwards...

• Registered Users Posts: 855 ✭✭✭422nd

I have picked up that next episode is the finale for season 2! Is this based on fact?:eek:

have you, per chance, been living on a mysterious island in the middle of nowhere??

• Registered Users Posts: 855 ✭✭✭422nd

Sorry but don't come on here often incase I read some unwanted spoilers and I don't know anyone else that watches lost! So thats a yes then on the finale?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 472 ✭✭Metacortex

422nd wrote:
    Sorry but don't come on here often incase I read some unwanted spoilers and I don't know anyone else that watches lost! So thats a yes then on the finale?

Yes, the series 2 finale is airing tonight in the states.

Advertisement