Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Afghan hunger strike in St Patricks.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,227 ✭✭✭Archeron

Slinky> wrote:
    I do my bit for the thousands of people in this country with cancer, Not for a group of healthy men killing them selves for a cause which I am very sceptical about.

Round of applause for Slinky, well bloody said.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,469 ✭✭✭Pythia

tbh wrote:
    Kiera, rkeane and all the rest of you.

the only reason you are in a position to call for these guys to be thrown out is because you *HAPPENED* to be born here.

So, really we shouldn't be proud to be Irish since we only happened to be born here.

Just because there is a war going on in their country doesn't mean we can accept their applications. Wars go on all the time. I'm sure it's not very nice to have to live in, but unfortunately that's their luck.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭Degsy

tbh wrote:

the only reason you are in a position to call for these guys to be thrown out is because you *HAPPENED* to be born here. Most of you havn't done anything to contribute to the state except pay your taxes, and you only do that because you have to. Most of you would do EXACTLY THE SAME THING if you found yourself in the position these guys found themselves in. Actually, wait. From the sounds of it, most of you wouldn't have the balls.

I'm NOT arguing that these guys are doing the right thing. I'm sickened at the seeming glee that some people - in particular rkeane, who actually said he was praying for someone to get deported - take in another human beings suffering. From a human it's bad enough, from an Irish person its downright shameful. What goes around, comes around.

And what in the name of Allah and all the prophets do you think would happen if a bunch of us irishmen occupied a mosque in Kabul so we could be allowed to change the law of the land?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,130 ✭✭✭✭Kiera

tbh wrote:

the only reason you are in a position to call for these guys to be thrown out is because you *HAPPENED* to be born here. Most of you havn't done anything to contribute to the state except pay your taxes, and you only do that because you have to. Most of you would do EXACTLY THE SAME THING if you found yourself in the position these guys found themselves in. Actually, wait. From the sounds of it, most of you wouldn't have the balls.

I'm NOT arguing that these guys are doing the right thing. I'm sickened at the seeming glee that some people - in particular rkeane, who actually said he was praying for someone to get deported - take in another human beings suffering. From a human it's bad enough, from an Irish person its downright shameful. What goes around, comes around.

Tbh, what a pile of rubbish. I can comment on this for the exact reason that I was born here and I do pay tax. I can comment on whatever the hell I like due to the fact that this is MY country first and approved aslyum seekers second. It is not up to rejected asylum seekers to hold our government to ransom just because they cant get what they like.

You haven’t really got a point of view on this do you? You are only here to start a verbal fight with whoever will bite. Why not state your point of view clearly instead of attacking posters or is that too hard for you?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,914 ✭✭✭✭tbh

Pythia wrote:
    Just because there is a war going on in their country doesn't mean we can accept their applications. Wars go on all the time. I'm sure it's not very nice to have to live in, but unfortunately that's their luck.

There it is lads. Ireland, 2006.
    degsy wrote:
    And what in the name of Allah and all the prophets do you think would happen if a bunch of us irishmen occupied a mosque in Kabul so we could be allowed to change the law of the land?

why would that happen?
    Kiera wrote:
    ou haven’t really got a point of view on this do you? You are only here to start a verbal fight with whoever will bite. Why not state your point of view clearly instead of attacking posters or is that too hard for you?

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA you're out of your league here, love, thats pretty obvious. I think that statement is rich coming from you. You'd start a fight in an empty house, just to listen to yourself speak, and you'd probably lose. Read my posts again. Tell me this Kiera, why are those people here in the first place? Why was their claim rejected?

• Advertisement

tbh wrote:

why would that happen?

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA you're out of your league here, love, thats pretty obvious. I think that statement is rich coming from you. You'd start a fight in an empty house, just to listen to yourself speak, and you'd probably lose. Read my posts again. Tell me this Kiera, why are those people here in the first place? Why was their claim rejected?

I'm pretty sure that we wouldnt get afghan pseudo-intellectual left-wingers saying we should be allowed to stay oh yeah,and please bring us blankets.I'm also pretty sure we'd be punished for desecrating a sacred place of worship if we were lucky.Nobody is allowed to insult islam remember.

Degsy wrote:
    I'm pretty sure that we wouldnt get afghan pseudo-intellectual left-wingers saying we should be allowed to stay oh yeah,and please bring us blankets.I'm also pretty sure we'd be punished for desecrating a sacred place of worship if we were lucky.Nobody is allowed to insult islam remember.

I'll ask you again Degsy. Why would a bunch of "us" Irishmen take over a mosque in Kabul?

• Registered Users Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

tbh wrote:
    What goes around, comes around.
    Ag Marbh wrote:
    Strenght in numbers.
    that is so true.
    had they not cowtowed to the taliban and banded together against their oppressors, then they wouldn't be in this position today.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,577 ✭✭✭Heinrich

Degsy wrote:
    Course he isnt going to actually do anything!He'd rather insult people here who dont happen to agree with his point of view,and thereby make himself feel better for not taking any action.His first post when he was through attcaking my veiws was along the lines of "get down there and give blankets..they need them" like he was personally leading some great famine relief operation.But no.he's in work,bickering with other taxpayers about how illegal immigrants should be allowed to dictate the rule of law.

I am quite sure t ha his nor anybody else's employer pays wages to staff so that they can pontificate all day long at his expense.

If ag marbh feels so badly about this he should go on hunger strike himself to blackmail his boss into letting him go to St. Patricks Cathedral to provide blanket to the desecrators (infidels)!

These people may have a grievance but it is not with the Irish. Britain and The States are responsible for that mess chez eux so a trip on the ol' Stena Line would blow the cobwebs....

• Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

Is there any real reason for everyone to resort to bickering and insults? If you've got a point, make it. Taking shots at other people only damages whatever credibility you have.

• Advertisement

Kiera wrote:
    Look i dont like you one bit tbh!
    you keep saying that, and I keep telling you to put me on ignore. the last time I told you to do that, you said you wanted to know why *I* didn't like *you*. I still have the pm's you sent me, I can publish them if you want?
    Once again you stalk my posts purley to fight with me. By naming me in your post which had feck all to do with what i was saying proves this.

You dont even know why these people were rejected? You are the one out of your league here, love! I will talk to anyone about anything except for you. I dislike you and will not reply to you from now on, on boards! You are a smart ass with nothing to say!

its a shame you can't understand my posts. Yet again with the stalking thing. Yet again with the egotistical "Purely to fight with me" crap. I've been arguing my point on this issue with Karl Hungus, with rkeane, with godfather69er for weeks, and none of them have the same pathetic persecution complex you have, just because someone isn't fawning over your every word.
    Keira wrote:
    You dont even know why these people were rejected? You are the one out of your league here, love!

you've misunderstood me. You said "There is a reason these people were rejected you know". I was just wondering if you knew what that reason was.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,469 ✭✭✭Pythia

tbh wrote:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but just because there's a war in your country doesn't give you the right to asylum.

Pythia wrote:
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but just because there's a war in your country doesn't give you the right to asylum.

just because there is a law, it doesn't make it right. But I concede your point. I just think its a bit selfish.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,258 ✭✭✭Ag marbh

Kiera wrote:
    So all the guilt you are trying to put on us isn’t brushing off on yourself?

You want us to go out and try and save these people from dying but yet losing your job isn’t worth someone’s life?

So just because you are going down there to show your support you actaully arent really doing anything, just like us in this thread. ;)

It's only guilt if thats what you get from reading my posts...

Was that a bit of hypocrisy in the last bit of your post? Im going down to show support but yet I aren't doing anything?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,606 ✭✭✭Jumpy

tbh wrote:
    you've misunderstood me. You said "There is a reason these people were rejected you know". I was just wondering if you knew what that reason was.

It doesnt matter. They were rejected by the people whos job it is to decide on who stays and who goes.
    They were to apply in the first country they arrived in. Its not a matter of 'I am under persecution in my own country, but bugger it if I am living in France'
    Either way, the government cannot back down, or there would be people starving themselves left right and center.

tbh wrote:
    you keep saying that, and I keep telling you to put me on ignore. the last time I told you to do that, you said you wanted to know why *I* didn't like *you*. can't have it both ways, pet.

its a shame you can't understand my posts. Yet again with the stalking thing. Yet again with the egotistical "Purely to fight with me" crap. I've been arguing my point on this issue with Karl Hungus, with rkeane, with godfather69er for weeks, and none of them have the same pathetic persecution complex you have, just because someone isn't fawning over your every word.

and why the hell should she know?Does she work in the department of justice and can comment on cases relating to asylum applications?The reason they were rejected is outlined to them individually when they're notified of thier failure to claim asylum.You do appear to be picking on this poster and yet you havnt actually said a thing yourself on nay subjetc,you've been farting around and generally being pugnacious.We have representative officials in this country who the people elected to make decisions in relation to matters such a s asylum.If you feel they've acted wrongly in your opinion you're quite at liberty to put yourself up for election yourself otherwise you're stuck with it.

julep wrote:
    they admitted as much themselves.

To be honest you already proved to me that you don't know anything about the situation in your last post.

They admitted themselves? to who? where?

You need to supply links to such things on the internet or it's got to be sent to snopes.

Degsy wrote:
    .You do appear to be picking on this poster and yet you havnt actually said a thing yourself on nay subjetc,you've been farting around and generally being pugnacious.We have representative officials in this country who the people elected to make decisions in relation to matters such a s asylum.If you feel they've acted wrongly in your opinion you're quite at liberty to put yourself up for election yourself otherwise you're stuck with it.

I don't know how to make this any clearer, so I'm just going to quote my original post.
    tbh wrote:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,577 ✭✭✭Heinrich

Ag marbh wrote:
    It's only guilt if thats what you get from reading my posts...

Was that a bit of hypocrisy in the last bit of your post? Im going down to show support but yet I aren't doing anything?

It's nearly two P.M., what are you waiting for? The desecrators must be getting cold! Or is it more fun wasting your employer's time bickering here on a subject which in their home country would merit a lapidation session!

It isnt a case of humanitarianism here, its politics, and a damn tricky situation at that.
    They wont get to stay, thats obvious. It would open the floodgates, as terrible as that is for them the government does have to remain in control here.

• Advertisement

Degsy wrote:
    Course he isnt going to actually do anything!He'd rather insult people here who dont happen to agree with his point of view,and thereby make himself feel better for not taking any action.His first post when he was through attcaking my veiws was along the lines of "get down there and give blankets..they need them" like he was personally leading some great famine relief operation.But no.he's in work,bickering with other taxpayers about how illegal immigrants should be allowed to dictate the rule of law.

Very predictable of you degsy with the sheepish replying. Waiting for someone else to create a reply that you think works and then agreeing with it.
    Degsy wrote:
    .His first post when he was through attcaking my veiws was along the lines of "get down there and give blankets..they need them" like he was personally leading some great famine relief operation.But no.he's in work,bickering with other taxpayers about how illegal immigrants should be allowed to dictate the rule of law.

Attacking your ignorance because whether you agree or not you are an ignorant person. I have been watching examples of your ignorance for quite a while now and this is the first time i've told you.

Im in work because I have to be here so people you can stop using your cheap shots on that one.

Heinrich wrote:
    It's nearly two P.M., what are you waiting for? The desecrators must be getting cold! Or is it more fun wasting your employer's time bickering here on a subject which in their home country would merit a lapidation session!

I took a stroll down Dame St at 1pm as stated and it's hard to waste your employers time when there is no work to be done. It's the beauty of doing stuff right in IT because once it's working im not going to fix what isn't broken.

tbh wrote:
    I don't know how to make this any clearer, so I'm just going to quote my original post.

You are not exactly giving the Irish a good name yourself there.
    Attack an argument not a poster.

Ag marbh wrote:
    Very predictable of you degsy with the sheepish replying. Waiting for someone else to create a reply that you think works and then agreeing with it.

Attacking your ignorance because whether you agree or not you are an ignorant person. I have been watching examples of your ignorance for quite a while now and this is the first time i've told you.

Im in work because I have to be here so people you can stop using your cheap shots on that one.

Is this a competition to see how many times you can work the word "ignorant" into a sentence?Just bacause i happen not to agree with your opinions doesnt make me ignorant of anything.
    In relation to your job,"i have to be here"..what exactly do you do thats so important?Are you the person who stops the earth wobbling off its axis?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Ag marbh wrote:
    To be honest you already proved to me that you don't know anything about the situation in your last post.

They admitted themselves? to who? where?

You need to supply links to such things on the internet or it's got to be sent to snopes.
    http://breakingnews.iol.ie/news/story.asp?j=182712094&p=y8z7yz8xx

Another of the failed asylum seekers, Sultan Kabir Chakari, a 45-year-old blind man from Kabul, fears that he will be persecuted if returned. He said he will be tortured in Afghanistan because of his role as an official in the Foreign Ministry under the Taliban regime.

Jumpy wrote:
    You are not exactly giving the Irish a good name yourself there.
    Attack an argument not a poster.

lads is there a crayon font I could use?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

So I guess no one reads my posts? :( *sniff*

Degsy wrote:
    Is this a competition to see how many times you can work the word "ignorant" into a sentence?Just bacause i happen not to agree with your opinions doesnt make me ignorant of anything.
    In relation to your job,"i have to be here"..what exactly do you do thats so important?Are you the person who stops the earth wobbling off its axis?

The forum allows me lots of characters so the word ignorant could be fitted in alot more if that was my plan. No.

Why do I have to be here? Isn't that a bit of a silly question. Keeping the world spinning would be an interesting job but unfortunately it's got to do with networking and people need it running smoothly.

DaveMcG wrote:
    http://breakingnews.iol.ie/news/story.asp?j=182712094&p=y8z7yz8xx

Another of the failed asylum seekers, Sultan Kabir Chakari, a 45-year-old blind man from Kabul, fears that he will be persecuted if returned. He said he will be tortured in Afghanistan because of his role as an official in the Foreign Ministry under the Taliban regime.

Cheers for that.

All the more reason to go down and support these men that will certainly be deprived of human rights.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,979 ✭✭✭✭Giblet

Kiera, tbh....shut up. Any more petty bickering between the both of you and you'll be banned.

Advertisement