Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Afghan hunger strike in St Patricks.

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

They're already dying?! I suppose it's the lack of water that's doin that, actually.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭Degsy

Ag marbh wrote:
    You are the most apatethic waster I have came across on these boards. You blame your ignorance on do-gooders and everything else and this isn't the first time you've done it.

They need sleeping bags and blankets so any help would be appreciated.

Latest

The hunger strikers have continued to refuse liquids. 4 men have now been taken to hospital by ambulance. In the last few minutes one of the men collapsed in fits and was rushed to hospital. His survival hangs in the balance.
    It is imperative that anyone who can gets down asap to support the men...

I'm far from apathethic.I dont support thier cause so i'm not going to help.If it was in my power to remove them from where they are i would do so,they are costing the irish taxpayer money and now they're commiting sacrilige and they intend to clog up the irish medical services with thier self-inflicted nonsense.If they want sleeping bags and blankets they should sod off back to afgahnistan where no doubt ebverything is cheaper than in Dublin..hell,we're even willing to pay the fare!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,258 ✭✭✭Ag marbh

Degsy wrote:
    I'm far from apathethic.I dont support thier cause so i'm not going to help.If it was in my power to remove them from where they are i would do so,they are costing the irish taxpayer money and now they're commiting sacrilige and they intend to clog up the irish medical services with thier self-inflicted nonsense.If they want sleeping bags and blankets they should sod off back to afgahnistan where no doubt ebverything is cheaper than in Dublin..hell,we're even willing to pay the fare!

Im basing my opinion on you over a number of threads about charities and other things that don't come to mind now.
    Degsy wrote:
    If they want sleeping bags and blankets they should sod off back to afgahnistan where no doubt ebverything is cheaper than in Dublin..hell,we're even willing to pay the fare!

More ignorance. It actually gave me a laugh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 834 ✭✭✭FillSpectre

Simple solution any asylum seekers caught breaking the law (including civil disobedience) should be refused asylumn and deported. Beggers can't be choosers. I hear that the system may have flaws and I beleive that but I'd rather have a faulty system than a free for all. Greater good and in case anybody thinks other wise look at what happened with Cuba and the US.

Ag marbh wrote:
    Im basing my opinion on you over a number of threads about charities and other things that don't come to mind now.

More ignorance. It actually gave me a laugh.

I think you'll find its pretty typical of the way most people round here feel.Why dont you accompany them back to afghanistan,tell them about my ignorance and how good a person you are?I'm sure you'll be very warmly received.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 370 ✭✭base2

I can't wait to see them backing down in a few days when they realise that their little blackmail has very little support and that the majority of the country couldnt give a **** if they died.

I've said it before but these lads should be made work for the state for a year or two to pay for their deportation.

Degsy wrote:
    I think you'll find its pretty typical of the way most people round here feel.Why dont you accompany them back to afghanistan,tell them about my ignorance and how good a person you are?I'm sure you'll be very warmly received.

I'm very aware of peoples attitude towards such situation and i'm aware of the ignorance too.
    Degsy wrote:
    Why dont you accompany them back to afghanistan,tell them about my ignorance and how good a person you are?I'm sure you'll be very warmly received.

Well thats hardly practical. Let me throw one back to you...

If Afghanistan is cheaper than Dublin why don't you go over and do a years shopping and maybe get a few new suits made?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 110 ✭✭Slinky>

There is an article in Todays independant saying the UN Conisider Irelands asylum policy to be the fastest and fairest in Europe and a model to other countries,

Does this make it one of the fairest in the world?
    If it does surely these lads should follow the system, according to the article only one of them is up for deportation so their lives certainly arent in immediate danger they just have no interest in obeying the rules of the country.

base2 wrote:
    I can't wait to see them backing down in a few days when they realise that their little blackmail has very little support and that the majority of the country couldnt give a **** if they died.

How can you say that you don't give a **** if someone else dies? That attitude is no better than a Nazi's.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,585 ✭✭✭HelterSkelter

Degsy, do you think the illegal Irish immigrants in the US should be booted out as well?

• Advertisement

Degsy, do you think the illegal Irish immigrants in the US should be booted out as well?

Wouldn't suprise me, he's the type. Some of the responses on this thread are borderline stormfront.org material.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,129 ✭✭✭Nightwish

Ag marbh wrote:
    It is imperative that anyone who can gets down asap to support the men...
    and do what exactly? They're refusing water and food. Anyway since its self inflicted, I have little sympathy for them. They failed the asylum process and they cannot hold the system to ransom because they dont want to go back to Afghanistan.

That attitude is no better than a Nazi's.

This is the thing that really gets me. I'm a very liberal person myself. But when theres any kind of grievance made about non-nationals breaking our immigration laws which are put in place by our elected government, then you're instanltly branded a racist and Nazi by some ignoramus.

base2 wrote:
    This is the thing that really gets me. I'm a very liberal person myself. But when theres any kind of grievance made about non-nationals breaking our immigration laws which are put in place by our elected government, then you're instanltly branded a racist and Nazi by some ignoramus.

Exactly,its the lowest form of body blow and one that certain types of people will employ at the drop of a hat.I was accused off being something to do with stormfront ffs.This kind of rubbish should be bannable.

Nightwish wrote:
    and do what exactly? They're refusing water and food. Anyway since its self inflicted, I have little sympathy for them. They failed the asylum process and they cannot hold the system to ransom because they dont want to go back to Afghanistan.

Well there would be no point in you going down to show support as you couldn't care less so just sit there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 110 ✭✭Slinky>

Degsy wrote:
    Exactly,its the lowest form of body blow and one that certain types of people will employ at the drop of a hat.I was accused off being something to do with stormfront ffs.This kind of rubbish should be bannable.

Completely agree,

base2 wrote:

I wouldn't have referred to it but he actually said he couldn't care if they die. To me that is one of the worse things a person can say.

Degsy wrote:

You are not one to speak about a persons depth. Drop of a hat? It wasn't at the drop of a hat and I think it was justified.

So are you going for your cheap suits or did you just choose to ignore that and selectively reply to suit your ignorance?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,130 ✭✭✭✭Kiera

You cant compare refugees over here to illegal immigrants in America. We don’t go over there to sponge off their country like a lot of the refugees do here. We get straight to work and don’t ask or get handouts! Stupid argument!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,227 ✭✭✭Archeron

I am extremely welcoming of all new cultures coming into this country, one of my best mates is Nigerian, not to mention friends from other parts of the world. However, I do not find it acceptable for people to lock themselves in a house of worship and refuse to accept that we have a procedure for this.
    I sympathise that their home may be a horrible place to be, but you cant over the fact that WE HAVE PROCEDURES. People kicking us in the nuts like this is helping nobody, including our other new incoming friends who are here for legitimate reasons, and who are making a valuable contribution to our society.

From a humanitarian point of view, I understand people trying to ease the suffering of these people, but their ultimate aim cannot be accepted. Do we really want our churces and sacred places inundated with people trying this type of sh*t? What will be next? Christchurch? The GPO? A sit down protest in the IFSC? Perhaps on the M50? If the minister backs down on this, it will show that the louder you shout, the more who will listen, and then we're shagged. There are billions of people in this world who are suffering and living in dire situations, and while its important to realise that we all have a part to play in helping in any way that we can, surely we realise that we cannot just open our borders and take all these people in?

• Advertisement

Kiera wrote:
    You cant compare refugees over here to illegal immigrants in America. We don’t go over there to sponge off their country like a lot of the refugees do here. We get straight to work and don’t ask or get handouts! Stupid argument!
    Of course I can compare the two, the illegal Irish in the US have no right to be there, the same way the Afghan assylum seekers have no right to be here. Working in their country and not paying taxes is sponging off them.

Of course I can compare the two, the illegal Irish in the US have no right to be there, the same way the Afghan assylum seekers have no right to be here. Working in their country and not paying taxes is sponging off them.

It's quite sad that you had to spoon feed her but what can ya do? ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,967 ✭✭✭Dun

Ag marbh wrote:
    How can you say that you don't give a **** if someone else dies? That attitude is no better than a Nazi's.
    Anybody that ends up in comparing people to Nazis immediately loses credibility, imho. It's akin to people making accusations of witchcraft back in the day.

Also, is there any reason why you're still in front of the internet and not down their yourself, considering your stance, and call to others?

Of course I can compare the two, the illegal Irish in the US have no right to be there, the same way the Afghan assylum seekers have no right to be here.

But thats not the issue here. We're talking about illegal immigrants in Ireland. The two arent related.

Dun wrote:
    Anybody that ends up in comparing people to Nazis immediately loses credibility, imho. It's akin to people making accusations of witchcraft back in the day.

Also, is there any reason why you're still in front of the internet and not down their yourself, considering your stance, and call to others?

I will be down to see whats going on at my 1pm lunch break. Apart from that I can't take the day off work unfortunately.

Archeron wrote:
    If the minister backs down on this, it will show that the louder you shout, the more who will listen, and then we're shagged.

I think he will back down (or he will be forced to back down by his partners in Government). Be honest, would you back down if the alternative was that these people will die? I think the Afghans are wrong yet if I was McDowell I would back down. It is easy to come on here and say f*ck them, let them die but would people really like to live with that on their conscience for the rest of their life? I know I wouldn't.

Not when you're earning less because you're not paying tax, and you don't get any of the benefits that taxpayers get.

There's a big difference between not giving up a proportion of your income and not having any income at all and actually taking money from your host country.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,227 ✭✭✭Archeron

I think he will back down (or he will be forced to back down by his partners in Government). Be honest, would you back down if the alternative was that these people will die? I think the Afghans are wrong yet if I was McDowell I would back down. It is easy to come on here and say f*ck them, let them die but would people really like to live with that on their conscience for the rest of their life? I know I wouldn't.

Thos people wont die,(at least I hope they wont) they will become ill from lack of food and water, and one by one, will be ferried to hospital. I hope at that point, they receive the treatment they need, eat a decent meal and go and try to argue the decisions throught the proper channels.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,130 ✭✭✭✭Kiera

Ag marbh wrote:
    It's quite sad that you had to spoon feed her but what can ya do? ;)
    Don’t be such a smart assed muppet! You can’t fight your own corner so you are now trying to be smart off someone else’s back! We don’t care. Get over it! There is a reason why they were refused you know!

• Advertisement

Not to be blase about the whole issue, but is it not a little bit stupid purposefully and consciously endangering your life to the point that you might die all because if you're sent back to your home country "your life might be in danger"?

Advertisement