Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Afghan hunger strike in St Patricks.

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,258 ✭✭✭Ag marbh

Kiera wrote:
    No i'm not! He said he was going up at lunch to help. I'm just asking what he did to help. Its not knit picking. I'm just curious.

Call me an idiot again and it will be the last time you do, pal!

40 minutes to help?

I went up and checked out the situation as I already stated if you read back but instead we have to waste time re-iterating.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,130 ✭✭✭✭Kiera

Ag marbh wrote:
    40 minutes to help?

I went up and checked out the situation as I already stated if you read back but instead we have to waste time re-iterating.
    Stop getting your knickers in a knot, i was just asking a question!

Kiera wrote:

Ahem.....
    Kiera wrote:
    Call me an idiot again and it will be the last time you do, pal!

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭MySelf56

What are you on about? This is the most rediculous post I have read all day. You think that they are going to commit terrorist attacks if we let them stay? On what basis have you come to this assumption? Just because they are from Afghanistan? Better kick all the Irish out of the UK then cos we all have "IRA links" :rolleyes:

gimme a break! as i said earlier as few media sources said that they have Taliban links that worries a lot. Its not because of Afghans i am not streo typing them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,577 ✭✭✭Heinrich

Kiera wrote:

Did you get a valid answer?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,130 ✭✭✭✭Kiera

Heinrich wrote:
    Yes. He had a look at what was going on. ;)

Kiera wrote:

Which was???

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭Degsy

Heinrich wrote:

Course she didnt,An Marbh is babbling a load of badly-strung together nonsense to upset everybody who doesnt agree with him.In addition i dont beleive for one second he went anywhere near the "protesters" either today or any other day and nor does he have any intention of doing so he's just stirring the pot and bandying words like "nazi" and "ignorant" around the place in bad english.

Kiera wrote:

I'll re-iterate the cheap shot point for this one also.

Given the information I gave you early on in the post what did you expect me to do?

It's clear that you are just trying to get a rise out of me so I will no longer be replying to your comments on this thread.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,792 ✭✭✭J.R.HARTLEY

simple matter , they'll be removed by force if necessary, holy ground is baseless in law, the gardai will take them out of it if needs be, i can't have sympathy for them if they won't tell the irish people why they can't go back, it is our country you want to stay in. "We will be killed" is a little on the vague side,i really do feel that they are scammers, not real asylum seekers, which angers me cause they are potentially making it harder for real genuine asylum seekers

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,585 ✭✭✭HelterSkelter

MySelf56 wrote:
    gimme a break! as i said earlier as few media sources said that they have Taliban links that worries a lot. Its not because of Afghans i am not streo typing them.
    Awh, the media stick tags like that onto people all the time without any evidence whatsoever. Anyone with brown skin seems to have "Al Qaeda" links. As a previous poster said, he works for the Government, doesn't mean he is a FF/PD supporter.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

i broke the law. i was hit with a large fine. i couldn't afford to pay the fine and was threatened with a stretch in mountjoy if i failed to come up with some money.
    i don't want to go to mountjoy as i fear for my safety in that place. i fear for my health too. i suffer from severe agorophobia and can barely leave my house at the best of times. going to the joy would have left me a complete emotional wreck.
    i'm not going to go on hunger strike though. i'm going to face up to my responsibilities.
    luckily enough i was able to come up with part of the payment, so i don't have to go there, but it was a possibility and something i would have to have put up with.
    when all is said and done, we don't know anything about these people. they could have tortured others in their role with the taliban or they could have been model citizens. that doesn't matter though. they have broken Irish law and now they have to face the consequences.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭hellboy99

let them starve i say, the way they are going about things is wrong and it's nothing but bullying tactics.
    wonder what would happen if some Irish people decided to carry on in the same way they are in Afghanistan, they'd probably be shot.

send them back.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 794 ✭✭✭ChityWest

Awh, the media stick tags like that onto people all the time without any evidence whatsoever. Anyone with brown skin seems to have "Al Qaeda" links. As a previous poster said, he works for the Government, doesn't mean he is a FF/PD supporter.

The allegation related to the taliban not al qaeda - though they are closely related after all.

http://breakingnews.iol.ie/news/story.asp?j=182712094&p=y8z7yz8xx

"Another of the failed asylum seekers, Sultan Kabir Chakari, a 45-year-old blind man from Kabul, fears that he will be persecuted if returned. He said he will be tortured in Afghanistan because of his role as an official in the Foreign Ministry under the Taliban regime."

This is the same taliban that pushed locals into mosques at gunpoint and almost ran the country into the ground, roving around in jeeps & pickup trucks armed to the teeth. Blowing up historical monuments, I dont have a link at the mo but I remember one story of a woman being raped for not covering up.

People being made to grow religious beards - etc - this is the group being refferred to - do you really see them integrating into our society ? If they do turn out to have links to that regime (and it looks that way for at least one of them - at a very senior level) then they are war criminals as far as I am concerned.

I hardly think that FF or PD or FG could be classed as *REGIME* whereas the Taliban were! Now that they have been *sort of* disposed of there is major whingeing going on.

Bottom line is that these people arrived here on the Golden Hind and claimed asylum, which in at least one case for the moment, has been refused. Then they take over a Cathedral which, were they to do that in the context of their own religion they would be severely punished. These are crafty people and are using our soft western ways to encrust themselves in our country!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,227 ✭✭✭Archeron

The speaker of the group, Otman I think is his name admitted yesterday on the Last Word on today FM that he was involved in the interior ministries of the Taliban government, and he confirmed that the same was true for some of his colleagues. Its not a tag, its a fact. Throughout modern history the word "Taliban" sent a shiver down the spine of many many people in the world. Now we're supposed to agree that "just because he worked for them doesnt mean he agreed with them" Yeah right. People have a right to be concerned about this. Then again, maybe its okay to work for an oppressive regime that slaughters innocents and withdraws basic human rights, as long as its convenient for the person in question at that given time. Bollox.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,812 ✭✭✭Drapper

I think they should be all allowed to stay on one condition,

they take a shovel on the way outa Patricks and head towards the M50 and start the third lane!

Then we all win

• Registered Users Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭hellboy99

Archeron wrote:
    The speaker of the group, Otman I think is his name admitted yesterday on the Last Word on today FM that he was involved in the interior ministries of the Taliban government, and he confirmed that the same was true for some of his colleagues. Its not a tag, its a fact. Throughout modern history the word "Taliban" sent a shiver down the spine of many many people in the world. Now we're supposed to agree that "just because he worked for them doesnt mean he agreed with them" Yeah right. People have a right to be concerned about this. Then again, maybe its okay to work for an oppressive regime that slaughters innocents and withdraws basic human rights, as long as its convenient for the person in question at that given time. Bollox.

send them back we have enough problems as it is without adding these type of people to them.

hellboy99 wrote:
    let them starve i say, the way they are going about things is wrong and it's nothing but bullying tactics.
    wonder what would happen if some Irish people decided to carry on in the same way they are in Afghanistan, they'd probably be shot.

send them back.

Send them back and do it quickly so they dont set a precedent for other criminals,we'll regret any weakness we show now in years to come.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

Archeron wrote:
    no better than those in this country who were in the service of the absentee landlords and mercilessly evicted tenant farmers during the british occupation. no better than nazi collaborators. no better than those in the khmer rouge. no better than the american soldiers who commited (and are still committing) war crimes in guantanamo bay.
    send them back and let them face the consequences of their actions.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,128 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

Im confused.
    They are seeking asylum because they reckon they will be killed if they go home, so they are going to starve themselves to death over here instead. :confused:

GreeBo wrote:
    Im confused.
    They are seeking asylum because they reckon they will be killed if they go home, so they are going to starve themselves to death over here instead. :confused:

The answer to that one is simple..they're telling lies!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 318 ✭✭rkeane

"The Afghan hunger strikers in St Patrick's Cathedral in Dublin have said they will now take water following an agreement to meet Department of Justice officials."

"A department spokeswoman said that while contacts have been made it is still their position that the Minister for Justice will not negotiate on asylum cases."

It seems some people on here seem to think that the government is going to cave in....not a chance. They must have missed the last paragraph!!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,632 ✭✭✭darkman2

rkeane wrote:
    "The Afghan hunger strikers in St Patrick's Cathedral in Dublin have said they will now take water following an agreement to meet Department of Justice officials."

"A department spokeswoman said that while contacts have been made it is still their position that the Minister for Justice will not negotiate on asylum cases."

It seems some people on here seem to think that the government is going to cave in....not a chance. They must have missed the last paragraph!!

There is no question of the government 'caving in'. They have to maintain the integrity of the asylum process.

And NOT listen to a handfull of crackpots who want everybody to stay,like the time Kunle was allowed to stay on and become a crime-wave.

Important vigil/demo in support of the men!

6:30pm tonight!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

They have no right to demand anything, damn cheek. Get in line like the rest of the asylum seekers.

Ag marbh wrote:
    Important vigil/demo in support of the men!

6:30pm tonight!

Yeah go along and show everybody you're willing to make a mockery of the asylum system in this country.Show your suport of criminals and blackmailers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,598 ✭✭✭ferdi

if we like it or not, if these lads start dying, minister McBowel will have to back down.

• Advertisement

ferdi wrote:
    if we like it or not, if these lads start dying, minister McBowel will have to back down.
    Why?
    This is akin to hostage taking. If we had a stand off would you expect the Minister to back down? Get real. There are laws, whether good or bad is beside the point, and they should be obeyed as they apply to all!!!

Advertisement