Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Afghan hunger strike in St Patricks.

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,598 ✭✭✭ferdi

Repli wrote:
    Then not only will we have current asylum seekers chancing their arms at this tactic, the country will look like a pushover and we'll be flooded with more of them.
    too late.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭zuma

With the exception of the West(EU,US,Canada,Australia,NZ) and Japan/S.Korea then YES the rest of the world is a pretty big SH!T hole....but allowing the state to be held to ransom like this should not be tolerated!

Either get them out of there pretty damn soon, let them sweat it out for a couple of days or leave them there and then remove them by force and nurse them back to full health so that they can be returned to a country closer to their home if not Afghanistan itself.

If our system was any softer then we honestly wouldnt have an Asylum system at all as they got every chance to prove their case!

What are the chances that this lot will ever be returned to Afghanistan anywa.....0.0000001% is my guess!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,257 ✭✭✭SoupyNorman

ferdi wrote:
    too late.

FACT!

I think the country would support a forceful removal at this stage on the whole. Why arent they forced to accept their refusal for asylum like so many others were forced to, although others are forced out of the country in the dead of night when Claire Byrne is all snuggled up in her TV3 employee recharging port!

We all know Mc Dowell is cold and heartless so he may as well get it over with! I'm frustrated its getting so much coverage.....its not going to change squat!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 238 ✭✭AngryAnderson

I'm kind of torn on the issue to be honest. While I don't like seeing the system being held to random with emotional blackmail and the ensuing effect it could have in the future, I also wouldn't want anyone sent back to a Hell hole like Afghanistan.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 599 ✭✭✭New_Departure06

This is a copycat to what happened in Belgium where Afghan asylum-seekers occupied churches up and down the land and the govt caved in. McDowell don't make us the new Belgium. A firm hand will be welcomed by a people weary of us being a soft-touch.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,257 ✭✭✭SoupyNorman

GOT IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Send all asylum seekers to southern Italy as they have a chronic under-population problem. I recall one town in particular handing out grants to couples if they had a baby and stayed in the town. They want people......we got people.

"there ya go"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 794 ✭✭✭ChityWest

We all know Mc Dowell is cold and heartless so he may as well get it over with!

I cant stand mcdowell but I dont think that its cold and heartless to not cave in to every stunt that comes along by people who have been through our process - which itself is lenient as ****.

If he caves in on this one - of if some nonsense compromise is found which doesnt involve their deportation - then it or something similair will happen again and again from this point on. Anytime anyone is refused they will know that the decision doesnt mean anything and that they can just ignore Irish law and can get around it by pulling a stunt like this.

The whole thing is manipulative and cynical - it is emotional blackmail. They have zeroed in on using a hunger strike - possibly thinking that Irish people have a soft spot for hunger strikers due to our recent history. I dont think they are going to get much sympathy this way if anything they are going to provoke the opposite reaction.

To the person earlier who said that Irish people cant say no to these guys on the basis that there are Irish illegally in america - what do you think would happen to an Irish person tried this stunt in america ? "Oh I cant go back to Ireland or I will be shot the troubles dont ya know" they'd be on the next plane home and they would have to pay the fare too.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,255 ✭✭✭✭The_Minister

Of, course those idiots in RAR were out supporting them:rolleyes:

The greens have called for McDowell to meet with them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

in the dead of night when Claire Byrne is all snuggled up in her TV3 employee recharging port!

lmao

I've already made my point on this over in Politics:
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2054931787

Oh they're in a Protestant church? Maybe we should invite Paisley down to sort them out :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

I never liked McDowell but Im with him for this one.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 170 ✭✭godfather69er

i really wish i was not doing my L.C id be down on st.pats protesting about this,mockery of our country , words cant express how ****ing pissed off i am with these ***** and the do gooders supporting them, i hope their scrawny lil asses are still there on 20th of june coz i will be there with a huuuuuge placard protesting against this ****...aaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh fup sake!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

They get no support from me... Apply like everyone else, if your application fails then sorry, try another country. If McDowell folds for these then we'd be in a crisis, cos every Tahir, Daoud, and Hadi will see that that's all they have to do to get asylum.

I wonder what'll happen though... I mean, McDowell can't fold, so what, are they gonna die? Doubt they'd go that far tbh -- what happens if they refuse to leave? Arrested? Deported?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,437 ✭✭✭tintinr35

MMD said "we dont do business that way, we dont conduct business that way" human lives are not business!!!

tintin, he has a country to run, and the country is run by laws. if laws aren't enforced, the state will collapse. if he starts taking in everybody who knocks on the door, the country will go to the sh*ts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 318 ✭✭rkeane

These Guys should not get ANY support, bully boy tactics should not be rewarded by this charade. No capitulation to these kind of tactics....I hope Michael Mc Dowell gives deportation orders to the rest of the men.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,632 ✭✭✭darkman2

I like McDowell, he is mad in these situations:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,061 ✭✭✭dawballz

I'm kind of torn on the issue to be honest. While I don't like seeing the system being held to random with emotional blackmail and the ensuing effect it could have in the future, I also wouldn't want anyone sent back to a Hell hole like Afghanistan.

Oh god! Oh no!

How big is Afghanistan? A Lot bigger than Ireland thats how big.
    So let's adopt your idea and let anyone from Afghanistan in.
    See how long it takes for the country to sink.

Pure cheek is all this is. Get them the fuk out.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,215 ✭✭✭Archeron

On the last word on today FM yesterday, the host suggested that there may be links between these people and the Taliban, which I thought was a bit upfront, to say the least. Imagine my surprise when the leader of the group admitted that yes, some of them had worked for the Taliban when they were in government. But of course, that doesnt mean they agreed with Taliban policies. WTF????? Minister McDowell, it seems the country is united on this one, do not stand for this type of bull sh*t emotional blackmail.
    It will be interesting to see how long this drags out for.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

Ireland is a very soft country on matters such as these, and people who are saying that if the government caves to their demands, that it sends a message, well I think the message was already sent when Kunle was granted his 'Temporary' visa. So I'm not sure it will be dealed with as easily.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 292 ✭✭Sgt. Politeness

The majority of people in ireland already think the country is far too soft on asylum seekers, illegal or otherwise. This is a chance for the government to send a message to every chancer out there that no, contrary to popular belief, we dont have an open door policy when it comes to asylum seekers.
    Let them starve themselves, i give it a week, then they'll realise its not getting them anywhere and they'll do what all the other failed asylum seekers do and get a cash in hand job and dodge immigration until theyre forceably chucked out of the country.

• Advertisement

Ireland is a very soft country on matters such as these, and people who are saying that if the government caves to their demands, that it sends a message, well I think the message was already sent when Kunle was granted his 'Temporary' visa. So I'm not sure it will be dealed with as easily.

Yeah that's a good point actually.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

so here's the deal. they don't want to go back to afghanistan for fear of being killed, but they are starving themselves to death here. yeah, that makes sense.
    so one of them dies. what are the odds that the family insists on the body being sent back to afghanistan to be buried in the family plot. all payed for by the Irish people.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

julep wrote:
    what are the odds that the family insists on the body being sent back to afghanistan to be buried in the family plot. all payed for by the Irish people.

There's a lot of cynicism going around these days, isn't there?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭Degsy

Does anybody have MMD's e-mail address handy?I wanna send him this topic just in case he wonders which side the majority of irish people are on!!!

There's a lot of cynicism going around these days, isn't there?
    i would regard it more realism than cynicism.
    the family will blame the Irish government for not granting the deceased asylum and then insist on a burial in afghanistan, because that's where their people come from and it's a religious thing and historical thing and so on and so forth.

His website says info@michaelmcdowell.ie, but that says to me that it's if you want information about him, rather than if you want to contact him.

http://www.michaelmcdowell.ie/

Degsy wrote:
    Does anybody have MMD's e-mail address handy?I wanna send him this topic just in case he wonders which side the majority of irish people are on!!!
    from his official website:
    hope it will prove to be a valuable information resource for you.

If I can be of any help to you, do not hesitate to contact me on my e-mail address info@michaelmcdowell.ie or by calling Mary McCowan on (01) 498 8084 to arrange a meeting at my constituency office.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 318 ✭✭rkeane

I'd like to applaud Michael Mc Dowell's approach, if they succeeded every failed asylum-seeker/ illegal-immigrant whose claim to stay in Ireland would jump on the blackmail bandwagon. Sooner or later the government would have to take a stand and face down the blackmailers. McDowell has wisely decided to do it now with this group.

He has stated unequivocally that he will not concede or negotiate. He has clearly told them that he will defend the integrety of the asylum-system.

Residents against Racism have scored a massive own goal. :D

jeez, you're a bit of a wierdo aren't you? most people seem to want these people deported, but you're there salivating at the thought of them and Kunle leaving. calm down there...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,258 ✭✭✭Ag marbh

Degsy wrote:
    Its bloody do-gooders that are legitimising this kind of carry on,ooh we're all racist..oooh,those poor people will be tortured when they get home lets give them blankets.They should be removed from the church by force and kicked out of the country immediatly before othert hard-luck merchants think its a legitimate form of protest.We're too bloody soft in this country.

You are the most apatethic waster I have came across on these boards. You blame your ignorance on do-gooders and everything else and this isn't the first time you've done it.

They need sleeping bags and blankets so any help would be appreciated.

Latest

The hunger strikers have continued to refuse liquids. 4 men have now been taken to hospital by ambulance. In the last few minutes one of the men collapsed in fits and was rushed to hospital. His survival hangs in the balance.
    It is imperative that anyone who can gets down asap to support the men...

Advertisement