Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BESS Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,024 ✭✭✭Awayindahils

No thats unlikely to happen, as there is currently planning for a course similar to the PPE at CAmbridge to be intorduced which would work under the same principal as BESS and be run by the same schools.

There is however discussion of changing the title of BESS back to ESS, as it is on the CAO form to get rid of the confusion. It was ESS in the 70's certainly becuase my uncle did it but then became known colloquially as BESS sometime in the next 30 years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 222 ✭✭Black_Couch

No thats unlikely to happen, as there is currently planning for a course similar to the PPE at CAmbridge to be intorduced which would work under the same principal as BESS and be run by the same schools.

There is however discussion of changing the title of BESS back to ESS, as it is on the CAO form to get rid of the confusion. It was ESS in the 70's certainly becuase my uncle did it but then became known colloquially as BESS sometime in the next 30 years.

ESS leaves out the business in the title. I think its stupid calling it this. ESS is economics and sociology or social studies. It gets confusing. leave it at bess i say. Wish they'd introduced just a business course with the ESS. ah well.

Mmh, I know but thats what they were thinking of doing.

Yeh ESS is real misleading tho plus i'm biased towards business so I'm bound to want the B in there! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 230 ✭✭Troglodyte

ESS leaves out the business in the title. I think its stupid calling it this. ESS is economics and sociology or social studies. It gets confusing. leave it at bess i say. Wish they'd introduced just a business course with the ESS. ah well.

It definately was a bit confusing at first. I remember when I first registered last year, I was put down as doing ESS. Scared the ****é out of me for a few seconds, thinking "What? I applied for BESS! What in God's name is ESS?" I thought I had probably filled out the CAO form wrongly. Nothing like being a panicky fresher:D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,510 ✭✭✭Tricity Bendix

europerson wrote:
    Agreed
    I'm feeling decidedly unloved these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,764 ✭✭✭shay_562

I find it rather sad you guys fighting over which year of posters is the better, considering you know them only from an internet chat room.

Meh. I'd say you can get a fairly accurate impression of people from how they act on the internet. Even if it is just playing up for the camera, that much alone says a lot about them. Plus, I've spent several hours cumulatively with Enda over the past year, generally with him berating me for my annoyingness/economic retardedness, so I do have something of a strong impression of him. On the general topic, though, I forgot about wowy, who is generally pretty normal and lowers the JS average weirdness level to the point that we're probably just about even. Maybe it's not years at all - maybe the problem is BESS?
    You forgot me, I'm like totally normal.

...yes. I "forgot" to add you to the list of normal people. That's right..."forgot".
    Eoin Rafferty

...Ok, that sounds really familiar. Eh, probably had a tutorial with you or something. I tended to nap through those so...yeah. Few things actually stuck.
    I'll be in your maths and stats lecturs

What? Who? What? We have MSISS lectures next year? But...but that's hard maths! I didn't sign up for this...
    oh and I'll be back in october too!! And for those of you who are new, I'm the girl of no balance

Compliment her shoes or she'll kill you. I'm deadly serious.
    Now I know that there are slim pickings among the male boardsies

Excuse you! I happen to be a fine specimen of masculinity, thank you very much.
    their adoration is worth anything

oh and tcd boards newbie of the year 2006.

Show-off :p
    I'm feeling decidedly unloved these days.

When, logically speaking, you should be getting twice as much.

shay_562 wrote:

What? Who? What? We have MSISS lectures next year? But...but that's hard maths! I didn't sign up for this...

*Whacks Niall with frying pan*

Did the threats and warnings from Thomas and Donal go completely over your head last year. MSISS take 2nd year maths and stats.

Excuse you! I happen to be a fine specimen of masculinity, thank you very much.

Damn I need the O-really Owl and still can't use html.

Show-off :p

Well naturally or when I think I can get away with it.

now that was just easy.

shay_562 wrote:
    ...Ok, that sounds really familiar. Eh, probably had a tutorial with you or something. I tended to nap through those so...yeah. Few things actually stuck.

Well, the odds are that you probably didn't get to know me in a tutorial. You see, while you napped through them, you were still there. I, on the other hand, was almost certainly still in bed. Something tells me that I won't be able to get away with that next year.

shay_562 wrote:
    now that was just easy

But I'm not easy, which answers shay_562's post.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,764 ✭✭✭shay_562

*Whacks Niall with frying pan*

Ow. Cartoon violence still hurts. But now that you mention it, that does sound kinda familiar. Damn. Do we know a single person who got through 1st year MSISS maths?
    Damn I need the O-really Owl and still can't use html.

the O RLY owl? Again?
    boring.jpg
    now that was just easy.

True. Didn't make it any less fun.
    But I'm not easy, which answers shay_562's post.

More fool you, b.ie_curious (witness me referring to you by "your proper title")
    Well, the odds are that you probably didn't get to know me in a tutorial. You see, while you napped through them, you were still there. I, on the other hand, was almost certainly still in bed. Something tells me that I won't be able to get away with that next year.

That could explain it. And no, next year I've been told we actually need to show up for and stay alert through the tutorials. Damn.

shay_562 wrote:
    Ow. Cartoon violence still hurts. But now that you mention it, that does sound kinda familiar. Damn. Do we know a single person who got through 1st year MSISS maths?

No.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 518 ✭✭✭Bartronilic

Troglodyte wrote:
    Eoin Rafferty, rising SF BESS. And you?

im the same year.. i think we've met, are you from tallaght?, my name is brian c i won't give the rest of my surname away in case i get stalked by an internet perv.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,135 ✭✭✭✭John

*steps forward to be that internet perv*

are you from tallaght?
    lol!

Lord Duke Barron Von Rafferty? I should think not!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,044 ✭✭✭Andrew 83

Unless you do single honours business your degree is in Economic and Social Studies. This is the case if you do Business and Economics/Sociology/Politics.

im the same year.. i think we've met, are you from tallaght?, my name is brian c i won't give the rest of my surname away in case i get stalked by an internet perv.

Brian C does sound very familiar, I think we share a tutorial. No, I'm not from tallaght.
    lol!

Lord Duke Barron Von Rafferty? I should think not!

What?? You got my title wrong!! It's Generalissimo Lord Marquis Baron Duke Earl Viscount Von Der Raffles! (I'm so modest!)

*Beats b.ie_Curious around the head with a big stick for his insolence.

Riiiight.

i really recognise your name? do u hang around with hilary? are you a leftie or a person who sits on the right?

i really recognise your name? do u hang around with hilary?

Nope
    are you a leftie or a person who sits on the right?

If by that you are asking where I sit in the Ed Burke, its the left (from the perspective of someone looking at the lecturer) midway between front and back.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,195 ✭✭✭✭Crash

In ten minutes, i'm gonna be splitting off and deleting posts on this thread left right and centre. get them in while you can.

oh i sit on the right. your name is bugging me cos im pretty sure we were intorduced before.. my ssurname is crowley if that helps

&#231 wrote: »
    In ten minutes, i'm gonna be splitting off and deleting posts on this thread left right and centre. get them in while you can.

Spoilsport :cool:

oh i sit on the right. your name is bugging me cos im pretty sure we were intorduced before.. my ssurname is crowley if that helps

Brian Crowley! Yeah we know each other. I'm in your Business tutor group. I'm the fellow who's always frantically doing work in the last few minutes before the tutorial starts.

U still going for class rep next year? I'm still debating whether to go for it or not. Moving on to more important things, are u going for the iron stomach championship again?

Class rep dosn't really take up that much time. Please be a class rep. :D Last year I know of BESS reps who were on Phil council aswell so it's not that much of a burden.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 290 ✭✭Right_Side

Would I be right in thinking reading week will be Week 5 i.e. 6th November to 10th November?

JS BESS still get reading weeks, right?

Just out of interest - what 'concentrations' (to use the local term) are you taking?

What particular courses?

And has Carol Newman left?

Seriously, how many ****ing bess threads do you need?

• Advertisement

C'mon - they're great!

Impressive response time as well!

Advertisement