Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BESS Thread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 230 ✭✭Troglodyte

Up by 5 points on last year. Unlike b.ie curious, I remember all too well the points on my entrance year. Ah, fond memories.....:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,510 ✭✭✭Tricity Bendix

Well, I think it was 475 my year. I wasn't really too aware at the time. I was pretty certain I'd be going to UCD to do Arts for such a long time after the LC, I figured that was where I'd be going even after I got my results and the places where published. Got a lovely shock when I found out I'd be going to Trinity rather than UCD (and my that my life was not officially over).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,764 ✭✭✭shay_562

Well, I think it was 475 my year.

Assuming you were doing your Leaving Cert in 2004, it was 480* (as in, random selection at 480) - that's what I spent 6th year knowing I had to beat. Then it dropped 10 points for my year (though I think it was 470*, so not everyone got in on that). It's 475* now.

shay_562 wrote:
    Assuming you were doing your Leaving Cert in 2004, it was 480* (as in, random selection at 480) - that's what I spent 6th year knowing I had to beat. Then it dropped 10 points for my year (though I think it was 470*, so not everyone got in on that). It's 475* now.

Yep, exactly the same experience for me. 480 was my minimum target, when I got the result of 510 I knew I was pretty much in.

Hi, I'm entering SF BESS. Not at all a fresher, I'm just finally introducing myself after deciding to give up my lurking ways on this forum!

By my count, you're the 8th rising SF BESS poster on boards (with at least 5 from rising JS, though we don't like to associate with them - they're weird and creepy). Soon, we shall rule the world...soon.
    odd that the majority of replies are by non first years.

...should we not be welcoming people?

• Advertisement

Ibid wrote:
    It was great altogether and that warm fuzzy feeling I had reminded me of the time I went to College a couple days after accepting my place. I was delirah; that feeling lasts more than a coulpe of weeks lads.

Yeah, that feeling's definately somewhat akin to the sense of satisfaction when you manage to score (and I don't mean a goal!).

Apologies for lowering the tone on this august forum....:D

shay_562 wrote:
    By my count, you're the 8th rising SF BESS poster on boards (with at least 5 from rising JS, though we don't like to associate with them - they're weird and creepy). Soon, we shall rule the world...soon.

Indeed we shall rule. The brave men and women of SF BESS shall one day be found striding the corridors of power and in the company of the great and good. Today, the TCD forum of boards.ie. Tomorrow, the universe!

You think that's lowering the tone? Please. Compared to that, you're positively high-brow.

And woot for universe-domination!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,452 ✭✭✭Time Magazine

shay_562 wrote:
    with at least 5 from rising JS, though we don't like to associate with them - they're weird and creepy
    Niall there's you the society whore, Hils the girl who can't stand properly (in those shoes?) and CaoilfhinnShinnerGirl who's hardly earth's most standard person in your ranks.

Right_Side aside - we clearly aren't his biggest fans - europerson and original_psycho are reasonable enough. Me and b.ie_curious just play up for the camera, and I'm normal enough in real life. So basically it's just Cormac who's weird and creepy.

Actually, I remember now the first time I met Hilary. She apologised for being such a BESS girl but then proceeded to tell me how much her shoes were...

shay_562 wrote:
    Assuming thats when I did the LC, thanks.

Troglodyte, no need to show off.

• Advertisement

Shay_562, don't mind me asking, but do you frequent the GMB and its delightful debates from time to time? I could swear I met a fellow called Niall at the reception after a debate, and a JF BESS guy too (at the time).

Niall there's you the society whore, Hils the girl who can't stand properly (in those shoes?) and CaoilfhinnShinnerGirl who's hardly earth's most standard person in your ranks.

Pfft. If anything, my society whore-ness makes me less weird and creepy, since it means I can interact socially without people threatening to ban me from their building. Hils can't be held responsible for her lack of balance/shoe fetish. And Caoi...well, OK, no point in fighting a losing battle. But that's still just one of us! And Moorsy and Black_Couch are both perfectly normal with no deviant tendencies, played up for the camera or otherwise. And Troglodyte has yet to reveal any hidden insanity.

By comparison, you've got europerson, who's happy that he gets to study Econometrics instead of seeing his girlfriend. You've got Cormac, who...see the link in my last post. You've got Right_Side, who you aren't even trying to defend. And as for you...don't even get me started. As I said above, I think the fact that people attempt to have you banned from their buildings is an indication of just how normal you're not.
    Shay_562, don't mind me asking, but do you frequent the GMB and its delightful debates from time to time?

Heh...just a tad. I'm what you might call a Hist-whore. And I've been known to show up at the Phil debates too. So yeah, I've probably run into you in RL before (would the other JF Bess guy have been called Eoin by any chance?)

Troglodyte, no need to show off.

Yeah, I know, just couldn't resist it though, had to make sure everyone knew about the massive size and girth of my LC result;)

shay_562 wrote:
    Heh...just a tad. I'm what you might call a Hist-whore. And I've been known to show up at the Phil debates too. So yeah, I've probably run into you in RL before (would the other JF Bess guy have been called Eoin by any chance?)

Yep, I'm the very same Eoin, the mad fellow who had a drop too much of the complementary wine.
    shay_562 wrote:
    And Troglodyte has yet to reveal any hidden insanity.

Just you wait and see.....

• Registered Users Posts: 8,452 ✭✭✭Time Magazine

shay_562 wrote:
    Pfft. If anything, my society whore-ness makes me less weird and creepy
    I can interact socially! FFS Pet calls me a hack :rolleyes:. And I'm being nice to Bartley and not bringing that building incident up because he was good about it subsequently so by-gones and all that.
    By comparison, you've got europerson, who's happy that he gets to study Econometrics instead of seeing his girlfriend.
    He didn't spend enough time in the library last year, he'll still see the lovely Susan plenty.
    You've got Cormac, who...see the link in my last post.
    Camera. And a bit of rare vulgarity from the boy.

It's not my fault I'm exceptionally talented at berating people who disagree with my omniscient views...

Yep, I'm the very same Eoin, the mad fellow who had a drop too much of the complementary wine.

I half-remember meeting you, but odds are I wouldn't recognise you if I bumped into you on the street. Complementary wine and all.
    I can interact socially!...It's not my fault I'm exceptionally talented at berating people who disagree with my omniscient views...

I think you've pretty much just made my point for me. FYI, berating people =/= social interaction. Well, I guess it kinda does, but not in the good way.

shay_562 wrote:
    You think that's lowering the tone? Please. Compared to that, you're positively high-brow.

And woot for universe-domination!
    I was rather proud of that one, vulgar or not.

I find it rather sad you guys fighting over which year of posters is the better, considering you know them only from an internet chat room. I have no idea who Right_Side is (and thus hope that I'm not included in ibid's 'we'), and I've met Shay_562, Awayindahils and Caoilfhinn (who I didn't know posted) only a handful of times, from which I doubt they could judge me one way or the other. Sure I haven't seen europerson and ibid all summer, so they can't really be in a position to vouch for how wierd/unwierd/whatevs I am.

I do, however, know Troglodyte. And believe me, he is far more of a hinderance than anything else when it comes to world domination.

Oh, and could people please address me by my proper title?

I do, however, know Troglodyte. And believe me, he is far more of a hinderance than anything else when it comes to world domination.

Yes, my constant insistance to stop for tea and cakes would hinder anyone's plan for world domination.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,044 ✭✭✭Andrew 83

Glad that's sorted out. I was afraid just listing as Business would affect the nature of applicants and damage the other subjects.

Andrew 83 wrote:
    Glad that's sorted out. I was afraid just listing as Business would affect the nature of applicants and damage the other subjects.
    Exactly. Its not like everyone in BESS does business. Far from it.

• Advertisement

I was concerned that people would no longer be able to 'sample' Business, Economics, Politics and Sociology any more, and that they would have to choose a stream on the CAO list

But thats not the case!

Ibid wrote:
    europerson and original_psycho are reasonable enough

I never knew you cared!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,909 ✭✭✭europerson

Ibid wrote:
    My mam and dad, fair play to them, have gone on holiday to Dublin. They've lived just over the border in Kildare since 1970 but have never done the museums/galleries/Book of Kells/Dublin Castle thing. So their legion of children booked them into a hotel for a mid-week break which began today (or, well, yesterday as it's after midnight).
    That's so cute! It's a lovely idea!
    So I finally brought them around the College for the first time ever. Dad was well impressed the average punter could go in and walk around,
    I can't wait to bring my parents around College: it's going to be a mammoth six-hour tour, from the Book of Kells to the Sociology Department toilets... They've promised to come up this year.
    God bless his simple Leitrim soul.
    The poor man. I expect similar sentiments from my father.
    It was great altogether and that warm fuzzy feeling I had reminded me of the time I went to College a couple days after accepting my place. I was delirah; that feeling lasts more than a coulpe of weeks lads.
    I loved that feeling: enjoy it while it lasts!
    shay_562 wrote:
    with at least 5 from rising JS, though we don't like to associate with them - they're weird and creepy
    I know where you live.
    Ibid wrote:
    Right_Side aside - we clearly aren't his biggest fans - europerson and original_psycho are reasonable enough.
    Reasonable enough?! You had better revise your opinion upwards (or downwards) as the case may be.
    Me and b.ie_curious just play up for the camera, and I'm normal enough in real life.
    O RLY?!
    So basically it's just Cormac who's weird and creepy.
    Agreed.
    Ibid wrote:
    shay_562 wrote:
    By comparison, you've got europerson, who's happy that he gets to study Econometrics instead of seeing his girlfriend.
    He didn't spend enough time in the library last year, he'll still see the lovely Susan plenty.
    To appease and upset both of you, Susan's commuting this year, so I shall be free to go to the library more evenings. She's just bought a car!

Oh, and JS Economics FTW!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 518 ✭✭✭Bartronilic

shay_562 wrote:
    Pfft. If anything, my society whore-ness makes me less weird and creepy, since it means I can interact socially without people threatening to ban me from their building. Hils can't be held responsible for her lack of balance/shoe fetish. And Caoi...well, OK, no point in fighting a losing battle. But that's still just one of us! And Moorsy and Black_Couch are

You forgot me, I'm like totally normal. Who is Trogdolyte? His name is EOin? Eoin what?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,523 ✭✭✭ApeXaviour

europerson wrote:
    I can't wait to bring my parents around College: it's going to be a mammoth six-hour tour, from the Book of Kells to the Sociology Department toilets... They've promised to come up this year.
    lol so every other year you gave this massive six-hour tour.. to yourself? ;)

You forgot me, I'm like totally normal. Who is Trogdolyte? His name is EOin? Eoin what?

Eoin Rafferty, rising SF BESS. And you?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 638 ✭✭✭Endymion

That name sounds very familiar.

It would be obvious if you searched through any of my threads:

Iain Nash, JS BESS

• Registered Users Posts: 2,909 ✭✭✭europerson

ApeXaviour wrote:
    lol so every other year you gave this massive six-hour.. to yourself? ;)
    Oh, yeah. You think you're so clever, don't you? Well, you are.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 309 ✭✭Bartron Prime

europerson wrote:
    Oh, yeah. You think you're so clever, don't you? Well, you are.

Now that's showing him what for. He won't recover from that so easily. :p

In other news, I'll be returning for my SS (Oh so many Nazi jokes...well, one really) year in History. If not to kick ass and take names, then perhaps to sit quietly in the corner, write my dissertation (Blasted Russian peasants, stay opprssed!) and get through it all. This will require much tea and 1980's music. All while performing the long commute from the Berkeley Library to House 34. :D

Anyhoo, welcome to TCD to all of the new JFs. Much like 'Snakes On A Plane', the place rocks hard and is coated in pheromones. Should there be anyone here starting History give me a shout if you need anything. Also, anyone got any info on the Psychology department? My sister is TSMing it come October and I just wanted to know if there was anything important to note.

But, welcome again to the first years. College is the greatest thing since forgetting your spoon with the ice-cream.....

Advertisement