Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BESS Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,579 ✭✭✭Pet

C'mon - they're great!
    Yeah, I'm on the edge of my seat with one hand down my pants. No really.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 112 ✭✭Danger Bob

Dr. Newman hasn't left. She's on a Sabbatical year in America. Not sure as of yet who will be taking over her different classes (although I think Enda knows, oddly enough). Patrick McCabe and the Senior Tutor will be taking over her tutor role for the year.

That explains why MJ Harrison is doing the econometrics course then..

Anyone know what he's like?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 290 ✭✭Right_Side

Right_Side wrote:
    Would I be right in thinking reading week will be Week 5 i.e. 6th November to 10th November?

JS BESS still get reading weeks, right?

Anyone?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,909 ✭✭✭europerson

Apparently, he's very philosophical, and he likes to weigh up everything before reaching a conclusion. Favourite phrases include "on one hand" and "on the other hand".

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 595 ✭✭✭gilroyb

He always takes the econometrics course. Very personable lecturer/person. Newman took the masters course.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,452 ✭✭✭Time Magazine

The first module of the Econometrics course shall be taken by Dr. Franco Mariuzzo, with the second half taken by Mr. Michael Harrison FTCD - possibly the nicest man I have ever met.

And also, apparently, an extremely difficult marker.

Ibid wrote:
    possibly the nicest man I have ever met.

I agree, even though I preferred other lecturers, he is astoundingly nice.
    Ibid wrote:
    And also, apparently, an extremely difficult marker.

Not quite true, just an amazingly extremely difficult course. Just do well on the project which is on a subject of your choice. It means that you can avoid the unintelligible course (somewhat).

Sorry, when I said marker I meant examiner. Course is difficult.

Business lecturers? Annoying tools? No....

Wait until you meet Debbie.

Roll on economics.

• Advertisement

Project?

Whats the deal with that??

Assessment
    Michaelmas Term Test (Week 10) – 15%
    Essay (optional), (deadline 5pm Friday Week 9, HT) – 5%
    Project (deadline 5pm Friday, Week 9, HT) – 20%

Thank you Enda..

I was hoping for a bit more detail..

What exactly do you do for a econometrics project?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,510 ✭✭✭Tricity Bendix

Ibid wrote:
    Wait until you meet Debbie.
    Perhaps the only thing that saved my heterosexuality last year. Well, her and cnewman.

Damn, those stripper boots could do things for me...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,764 ✭✭✭shay_562

Business lecturers? Annoying tools? No....

Maths lecturer, actually. I like business.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,909 ✭✭✭europerson

Perhaps the only thing that saved my heterosexuality last year. Well, her and cnewman.

Damn, those stripper boots could do things for me...
    :D

Thank you Enda..

I was hoping for a bit more detail..

What exactly do you do for a econometrics project?

Basically whatever you want, you examine one sample of data by looking at whether the changes can be explained by the changes in at least two other samples of data. It can be on any subject, as long as you use econometric methodology.

I did mine on the effect of gold prices on the stock market; others have included golf scores; likelyhood of winning particular soccer matches depending on being home/away and position in the league the season before; and whether the free fees have actually improved college entry among those it was meant to help.

If you want to look at some past ones, there is always at least one in the SER,

It's not as bad as it seems, it can actually be quite interesting, not saying it will be, but can be. It's the easiest marks you're going to get anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 222 ✭✭Black_Couch

shay_562 wrote:
    Maths lecturer, actually. I like business.

dean of bess isn't he? Ah I think he meant we had better opportunities than we were better people. Don't think he was that bad was he?

dean of bess isn't he?

You're living in the past...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 166 ✭✭mizz.yelof!!!

enda1 wrote:
    Umpa Lumpas - Bess girls ;)

harsh! not all bess girls are oompa lumpas, they actually are a small percentage of **** heads, that sit in same area of lecture hall and mix with no one else becasue seemingly were not good enough or arnt quite oopma lumpa enough

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 230 ✭✭Troglodyte

harsh! not all bess girls are oompa lumpas, they actually are a small percentage of **** heads, that sit in same area of lecture hall and mix with no one else becasue seemingly were not good enough or arnt quite oopma lumpa enough

Bang on. I'm an easygoing sort of fellow, takes a lot to bother me, but they really manage to piss me off. I honestly cannot think of a more vacuous and stuck up group of people. Maybe there's worse out there, but by God I've yet to come across it. Meh, they're probably more deverving of pity than contempt anyway.

*Rant over*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 194 ✭✭Dave Larkin

Note to self: Avoid BESS girls. :p

Only the orange ones :D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,314 ✭✭✭Nietzschean

ah you say that now, but meh they are certainly easy on the eye's as ye pass the orts block.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,195 ✭✭✭✭Crash

Pff, I don't generally study well anyhow. but hey, might as well have something nice to look at :)

as an aside, if any of yee start to turn this into a bess thread or bess-related thread, you're banned.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,764 ✭✭✭shay_562

You're cool with us turning it into a thread about hot girls though, right? ;)

shay_562 wrote:
    You're cool with us turning it into a thread about hot girls though, right? ;)

Which would automatically turn it into a BESS thread anyway.... :D

yes, yes we are.

Troglodyte wrote:
    Which would automatically turn it into a BESS thread anyway.... :D
    not really. There are hot women in other courses ye know? varying concentrations depending on the course....

Dentistry seems to be good from what i've met
    clinical speach and language studies also...

• Advertisement

not really. There are hot women in other courses ye know? varying concentrations depending on the course....

Dentistry seems to be good from what i've met
    clinical speach and language studies also...

Ah that may be so, but BESS seems to be the standard by which all other courses are judged in that area. Concentrations do indeed vary quite a bit....

This is all a bit sad, isin't it?

Advertisement